Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Verman posted:

I agree.

Another reason why I'm uneasy is seeing people bring their small children to the dog park. Personally it seems like a recipe for disaster but then again I don't have kids so it's easy for me to say "don't bring your kids here".

No, its a generally sound policy. Its a dog park. Parks are for people and kids, dog parks are for....dogs. I've actually had to ask children to leave me and my dog alone when we're in dog parks. I've also had to have to tell children to not chase me when I walk my dog, to not pull his tail, to not KNOCK ON MY DOOR to ask to pet my dog (!!!!) etc. Pets and kids are a weird mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

squidtarts posted:

Yeah, I had pumpkin ready to go too, but my dog is a picky little rear end in a top hat so I wanted to make sure I had some meat to add in. She did well with 97% lean beef, mixed with rice and pumpkin. Thank god, because she's a little too big for the largest size dog diapers and a dog that massive can make a lot of squirts.

(given the recent topic I feel like I should point out that she's an akita, not a lardo :v: )

What up picky prim eater buddy. Have you tried adding heated chicken broth to her food? That has nothing to do with stool but can make it more enticing. Adding wet food made it so my husky would actually eat more than a bite or two at a time.

Edit:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

And this is why people letting their little dogs be aggressive little shits because "it's cute he thinks he's a big dog tee hee" is one of my pet peeve soapbox issues about dog ownership. Even if the little dog started it the big dog always gets blamed.

This too. Way too many small dog owners let them get away with being poo poo lords.

Which brings me to a separate and only vaguely related rant:

Don't have your goddamn dog off leash in an on leash area. I don't mind so much if you have control over your dog/have a solid recall and are paying attention to them, but every time I've had a dog run up on us off leash the person normally doesn't even notice their dog isn't following them anymore. Luckily we've not encountered an aggressive dog and dorian loves every dog he meets but jfc. We're both passive as gently caress but we've started shouting at people to grab their loving dog. We were walking back along the marina the other day and this little poo poo charged us, running clear across the little parsley while his owners just sat there. We said to get the dog and he slowly got up and walked that way, whistling for his dog who didn't so much as twitch an ear or look at him. Dog ended up following us for 2 blocks, including when we went back on the main street, and the guy still just followed at a lazy pace. The only reason he finally caught him was my fiance kept turning around and chasing the dog back a few feet. We joked that in another block he would have been our dog now.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 16, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

wtftastic posted:

No, its a generally sound policy. Its a dog park. Parks are for people and kids, dog parks are for....dogs. I've actually had to ask children to leave me and my dog alone when we're in dog parks. I've also had to have to tell children to not chase me when I walk my dog, to not pull his tail, to not KNOCK ON MY DOOR to ask to pet my dog (!!!!) etc. Pets and kids are a weird mix.

I hate the entitlement parents seem to think they have to your dogs as entertainment for their kids. If I tell you no, it doesn't mean hang around the edges and repeatedly walk back and forth near us.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
back when vex was a puppy we used to meet up at the park with a couple people who had border collies and gsds and some dumbshit walked into the middle of all our dogs wrestling, plopped her 1 year old down on the ground and then walked off. i also had a parent and his kid follow me and vex around the park. when i explained that i was trying to put some space between us because vex doesn't like kids he turned to his kid and said "son, go pet that dog. if he bites you we'll just sue them". i ended up having to pick up my dog and run away to keep his kid from petting vex

:psyduck:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Psychobabble! posted:

Don't have your goddamn dog off leash in an on leash area.
"My angel is totally okay off leash, he's so friendly!"

Well yeah, but my dog is 16 years old and way too stiff and grumpy for your playful pup to be bouncing all over him

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
My local dog park has a separate area for dogs under 25lbs but every single time I've been there has been at least one tiny dog that snarls at big dogs who approach it in the big dog section. But you know. My dog must be vicious because of her breed, never mind that she's well socialized and has never once started poo poo with another dog like tiny little Pookums.

Psychobabble! posted:

What up picky prim eater buddy. Have you tried adding heated chicken broth to her food? That has nothing to do with stool but can make it more enticing. Adding wet food made it so my husky would actually eat more than a bite or two at a time.

Maybe I'll try some beef broth sometime. She does generally end up eating all of her food (Orijen 6 fish) but she takes her time about it.

Here's my giant poop factory (who's actually doing a lot better today).

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
a+ kita would pat

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Ausrotten posted:

back when vex was a puppy we used to meet up at the park with a couple people who had border collies and gsds and some dumbshit walked into the middle of all our dogs wrestling, plopped her 1 year old down on the ground and then walked off. i also had a parent and his kid follow me and vex around the park. when i explained that i was trying to put some space between us because vex doesn't like kids he turned to his kid and said "son, go pet that dog. if he bites you we'll just sue them". i ended up having to pick up my dog and run away to keep his kid from petting vex

:psyduck:

:psyboom: Holy poo poo

squidtarts posted:

My local dog park has a separate area for dogs under 25lbs but every single time I've been there has been at least one tiny dog that snarls at big dogs who approach it in the big dog section. But you know. My dog must be vicious because of her breed, never mind that she's well socialized and has never once started poo poo with another dog like tiny little Pookums.

Maybe I'll try some beef broth sometime. She does generally end up eating all of her food (Orijen 6 fish) but she takes her time about it.

Here's my giant poop factory (who's actually doing a lot better today).

Durrr I meant beef, not chicken, since you mentioned the allergy.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.

Psychobabble! posted:

Durrr I meant beef, not chicken, since you mentioned the allergy.

This dog is never so much as SNIFFING chicken again. :gonk:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Psychobabble! posted:

Don't have your goddamn dog off leash in an on leash area.

"Don't worry, he's friendly!!" MINE'S NOT.

One of the places I like to walk my dogs has a giant off leash area that's only fenced on 3 sides with water on the fourth side. Most people use it for its intended purpose of training hunting dogs and even if they're just playing around they keep a close eye on their dogs, but then sometimes you've got the idiots who are all "yay dog park I can let my dog wander away while I dick around on Facebook on my phone" and their dogs wade out past the fence and out of the park into the on leash area to harass people trying to walk their dogs. This is the only place I've had to punt a strange dog.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

One of my parents' dogs, a 11 year old Basset, is scared absolutely shitless by thunderstorms, complete with pacing, shaking, whining, pale gums, shedding, the whole works. The most worrying thing about him when he gets scared though is his escape attempts. It's one thing when he rattles the gate that separates the dogs' space from the rest of the house, it's another when this short dog tries to jump through the windows in the wall separating addition and the rest of the house. Someone has to be with him when he's freaking out to prevent him from hurting himself, there's no ignoring it.

My parents currently try drugging him with this "natural" sleeping aid for dogs that I'm really dubious about, but have no control to prevent. Letting him go to the basement to lie in his crate also seems to help, but our basement floods easily in heavy storms so it's not ideal. (My parents live in a small historic townhouse; there's not much dog friendly space.)

Is there anything I could really do other than let him go into his crate rather than try and keep him in the dog room? I know he's trying to get to the basement because when I let him out of the dogroom to put him in his create he goes running for the basement door and body checks it open. (Not as hard as it sounds.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So tonight hasn't been great.

We came home to blood all over my apartment and a beagle with a chunk missing from her ear. I'm babysitting a 18 month old intact husky for a couple of months while his owner is overseas with my inlaws. He's typically a chill dog, buy got aggressive to other dogs his size at the park when they had a toy he wanted. So far he's shown no problem to my dog as they grew up together before I took her in. As best I can tell he tore into a bag of food we had delivered (still inside the shipping box) and were dumb enough to leave out. Belle (beagle) likely came over to get in on the action and it looks like he grabbed her throat; blood on back on neck and underside of the chin. She's also missing a notch on one of her ears now. She's none the worse for wear, but I'm taking her in first thing in the morning to get looked at. The real issue is what do I do with the husky. I've told the owner he's getting fixed at the first open slot any place nearby has and that he's footing the bill. Is there anything else any of you can recommend? Maybe the best ways to get blood off of walls and furniture?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Warbird posted:

We came home to blood all over my apartment and a beagle with a chunk missing from her ear. I'm babysitting a 18 month old intact husky for a couple of months while his owner is overseas with my inlaws. He's typically a chill dog, buy got aggressive to other dogs his size at the park when they had a toy he wanted. So far he's shown no problem to my dog as they grew up together before I took her in. As best I can tell he tore into a bag of food we had delivered (still inside the shipping box) and were dumb enough to leave out. Belle (beagle) likely came over to get in on the action and it looks like he grabbed her throat; blood on back on neck and underside of the chin. She's also missing a notch on one of her ears now. She's none the worse for wear, but I'm taking her in first thing in the morning to get looked at. The real issue is what do I do with the husky. I've told the owner he's getting fixed at the first open slot any place nearby has and that he's footing the bill. Is there anything else any of you can recommend? Maybe the best ways to get blood off of walls and furniture?

Don't leave the dogs unattended together, one or both needs to be crated while you're gone from here on out.

Hydrogen peroxide and cold water is good at getting blood out of most fabrics.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Do you figure a vet trip is warranted? She's not in pain and we tossed a bandaid over the cut which seems to be doing the trick. I figure I'll redress it with some Neosporin before bed and just call them in the morning.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

One of my parents' dogs, a 11 year old Basset, is scared absolutely shitless by thunderstorms, complete with pacing, shaking, whining, pale gums, shedding, the whole works. The most worrying thing about him when he gets scared though is his escape attempts. It's one thing when he rattles the gate that separates the dogs' space from the rest of the house, it's another when this short dog tries to jump through the windows in the wall separating addition and the rest of the house. Someone has to be with him when he's freaking out to prevent him from hurting himself, there's no ignoring it.

My parents currently try drugging him with this "natural" sleeping aid for dogs that I'm really dubious about, but have no control to prevent. Letting him go to the basement to lie in his crate also seems to help, but our basement floods easily in heavy storms so it's not ideal. (My parents live in a small historic townhouse; there's not much dog friendly space.)

Is there anything I could really do other than let him go into his crate rather than try and keep him in the dog room? I know he's trying to get to the basement because when I let him out of the dogroom to put him in his create he goes running for the basement door and body checks it open. (Not as hard as it sounds.)

You *could* look into a thundershirt. Some people absolutely swear by them for helping with anxiety, some people think they're snake oil. Still, it's something you can try.

Have your parents taken him to the vet to talk about his very specific anxiety? If not they should. They'll probably recommend putting him on some doggy Valium, which is actually pretty common.

Warbird posted:

We came home to blood all over my apartment and a beagle with a missing from her ear. I'm babysitting a 18 month old intact husky for a couple of months while his owner is overseas with my inlaws. He's typically a chill dog, buy got aggressive to other dogs his size at the park when they had a toy he wanted. So far he's shown no problem to my dog as they grew up together before I took her in. As best I can tell he tore into a bag of food we had delivered (still inside the shipping box) and were dumb enough to leave out. Belle (beagle) likely came over to get in on the action and it looks like he grabbed her throat; blood on back on neck and underside of the chin. She's also missing a notch on one of her ears now. She's none the worse for wear, but I'm taking her in first thing in the morning to get looked at. The real issue is what do I do with the husky. I've told the owner he's getting fixed at the first open slot any place nearby has and that he's footing the bill. Is there anything else any of you can recommend? Maybe the best ways to get blood off of walls and furniture?

So wait, unless I'm reading this wrong, you hosed up by leaving food out and now you're getting your friends dog neutered because of your screw up, possibly without their desire or permission? :confused: Neutering isn't a fix all for aggression problems, and I've even heard can make it worse in some cases. So I don't think that's really a good option but not my circus, not my monkeys.

I'd separate them from feeding from now on for starters, along with not leaving treats, chews, bones, etc out in common areas. Maybe even toys if they're unsupervised. Keep them separate during the day when no one is home, in different rooms, crates, whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Psychobabble! posted:

So wait, unless I'm reading this wrong, you hosed up by leaving food out and now you're getting your friends dog neutered because of your screw up, possibly without their desire or permission? :confused: Neutering isn't a fix all for aggression problems, and I've even heard can make it worse in some cases. So I don't think that's really a good option but not my circus, not my monkeys.

I'd separate them from feeding from now on for starters, along with not leaving treats, chews, bones, etc out in common areas. Maybe even toys if they're unsupervised. Keep them separate during the day when no one is home, in different rooms, crates, whatever.

You're reading it correctly, but neutering had been discussed prior to this and the aggression and was something they've been meaning to do but "haven't had time for". The plan was for him to lose the ball when they got back in the states, but this may just move things up. Honest question though, if you're not planning on breeding them, why not get your animal spayed/neutered? But yes, they're going to be seperated when unsupervised from now on (assuming the husky just doesn't break his cage open again) and no more treats.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 17, 2016

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Warbird posted:

You're reading it correctly, but neutering had been discussed prior to this and the aggression and was something they've been meaning to do but "haven't had time for". The plan was for him to lose the ball when they got back in the states, but this may just move things up. Honest question though, if you're not planning on breeding them, why not get your animal spayed/neutered? But yes, they're going to be seperated when unsupervised from now on (assuming the husky just doesn't break his cage open again) and no more treats.

There's lots of reasons responsible and irresponsible people don't get their dogs fixed(or wait for a few years to do so) that has nothing to do with breeding. For the record I think the majority of people should get their pets fixed.

Still though, the neutering isn't going to fix resource guarding

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Psychobabble! posted:

You *could* look into a thundershirt. Some people absolutely swear by them for helping with anxiety, some people think they're snake oil. Still, it's something you can try.

My Pitbully is terrified by thunder, poor mans "thundershirt": put a t shirt on the dog, tie it 2 fingers tight in the back around the chest and belly area. It seems to help her out for really bad thunderstorms.

Psychobabble! posted:

:same:

Warbird posted:

Blood on walls you are most likely going to end up painting unless you have a gift for soft cleaning and you have good quality wall paint.

As everyone has said, neutering isn't necessarily going to change aggressive behavior. That is completely a training thing. Bite training larger and potentially more aggressive dogs is absolutely critical. well any dog really, but big dogs = big bites.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Between some mopping and one of those magic erasers I think we're going to be ok. However some of the apartment staff came by while we were gone so if that was after the fight I'm going to get to have a fun conversation with them. I'll investigate training and speak with the owner regarding it. There are a few options here, but they're pretty pricey. I'll see what I can do about getting it done myself, but one of those daycare training places may be preferable with my working schedule.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Warbird posted:

Neutering definitely is not going to fix resource guarding but there are a number of reasons not to neuter. One of the biggest ones is that neutering prior to adulthood has a large effect on the dog's structural growth and there is some evidence pointing to a link between pediatric neuters and hip dysplasia. Certain cancers also are linked to early neutering. A dog neutered early won't develop correctly 0 they tend to be leggier than normal and their chest and muscle development won't fill out. Another reason is that neutering actually increases certain types of aggression, particularly in bitches. Male-male and human aggression does tend to be decreased by neutering but it has no effect on male-female aggression. With females, pediatric spaying significantly increases the incidence of female-female aggression and reactivity (at least, it does in GSDs which was the only breed studied). I don't know if you've ever dealt with bitch aggression but let me tell you, it is a loving nightmare.

A third reason which is somewhat less applicable to non-working and sporting dogs is that due to lack of muscle development and sex hormones, spayed/neutered dogs tend to be less athletic and less energetic. There are also a number of areas where increased aggression IS desired - protection work/sports being the big one. In schuzthund and ring sports, it's incredibly uncommon to neuter dogs outside of physical problems that require the dog to retire or certain types of cancer.

Basically, there is no one correct answer for spaying/neutering. Each owner needs to carefully weigh the risks and benefits and choose the solution most appropriate for their living situation and goals for their dogs. In general the only one size fits all advice is that spaying/neutering before the dog reaches sexual maturity isn't the greatest idea. If your male has serious issues with marking, roaming, mounting and to a much lesser extend, male-male dog aggression or territorial aggression, neutering can help. In females, you're unlikely to see much positive improvement in aggression by spaying. I personally don't spay or neuter outside of health problems. I neutered vex last year due to one and I've seen no decrease whatsoever in his dog aggression.

Regardless, surgery should never be the first line of attack when dealing with aggression, it should be (imo) used as a last resort in conjunction with training . Aggression is largely a behavioral problem and you'll likely see much better results addressing it through training with a professional who specializes in aggression.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Vet slapped some surgical glue on the torn eartip and wrapped her up. $100 for the trouble is more than I'd like, but them's the breaks. I'm speaking with the owner regarding training vs neutering so we'll see how that goes. The apartment people were surprisingly cool too; it helped that Belle was her usual happy self when they came by dispirited the blood spatter all over the place. Heck, the other guy is likely going to reimburse me for the vet bill and I can get a group discount at the local training place. Net win?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I mean it's his fuckin dog, it'd be a huge dick move not to pay for the vet and training bills

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

I neutered vex last year due to one and I've seen no decrease whatsoever in his dog aggression.

tell me you have another one named siolence :allears:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

He's also very likely going to be my brother in law in law, so I'm not too worried about it.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

SneakyFrog posted:

tell me you have another one named siolence :allears:

i don't but thanks for naming my next dog

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

i don't but thanks for naming my next dog

:frog::respek::unsmith:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Psychobabble! posted:

Have your parents taken him to the vet to talk about his very specific anxiety? If not they should. They'll probably recommend putting him on some doggy Valium, which is actually pretty common.

He used to have a thundershirt, but I think he learned that thundershirt=thunder is coming because he started being scared of it. So yeah.

I've suggested talking to the vet about it, but I can't make them bring him and my parents don't seem enthused about the idea. It sucks when I want to help him since I live with them, but ultimately he's not my dog.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The saga continues! Apparently sometime mid afternoon shitmageddon started. We've had upwards of 5 movements of mud from both dogs in the course of a couple hours. I can only imagine it's from them gorging themselves on dog food prior to the fight last night.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I want the world to know about my new Irish Wolfhound friend!

8 weeks. His name is Frankenstein.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Need way more pics of leg puppy.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So things are going pretty ok with the dog. No accidents aside from some tore up paper towels. He likes play though, doesn't bite but uses his fore legs enough that I am probably going to need to start trimming nails as he clawed up my arms noticeably. Is there a preferred tool for it or is it recommended to get it done professionally?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You can get nail clippers at any pet store or possibly Walmart. I'd recommend having a vet show you how to do it so you don't end up cutting the quick of the nail.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
A dremel is good too, less chance of blood all over your carpet

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Also get a container of quikstop for times when you do accidentally clip the quik. Though really if you're taking them on long regular walks on pavement, generally the concrete will wear them down. Dremels are another option but more expensive, but they give a better finish imo(it's grinds the nail). Either way, go slow, lots of treats etc cause lots of dogs hate getting their nails done.

You can also have a bather or groomer do it, your local petsmart/petco can do it for 10-15

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

puppys growing fast, I too am covered in scratches but that's part of puppying imo.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Kerfuffle posted:

Need way more pics of leg puppy.

hmm wish that were a little bigger but good enough! I'm no gif expert!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

hmm wish that were a little bigger but good enough! I'm no gif expert!

HELLO TINY SPIKY BABY FRIEND :3:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tell me about dew claw removal.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
it's largely retarded and pointless, the exception being small dogs who's dew claws arent attached the the bone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is there something else I can do to/give my dog to soothe his severe cough before I call the vet in the morning? So far I have tried running a humidifier (internet suggestion I found), taken off his collar to relieve any throat pressure during his little fits, and tried mixing honey with warm water but he hasn't drank that yet.

He went to doggie day camp a week ago so I'm pretty sure he caught something there. This sucks because he had his bordetella vaccine in March but now I'm reading that sometimes it doesn't always work wtf!