Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Honestly I didn't have much a problem with speed in Dark Souls 2 than I did with burning through all my stamina too quickly. I eventually got used to it, but going from any of the other games back to it is super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Genocyber posted:

That's only true for enemy types that are meant to be fast, such as hollow rogues. Most enemies types are quite slow. DS3 is easily the worst in regards to your speed vs enemy speed, with you being at somewhat-faster-than-DS1 speed and most enemies being at BB speeds.

There's one instance we'll see later that's definitely bugged, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Warren Waters posted:

There's one instance we'll see later that's definitely bugged, though.

Cave canem.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
At time of posting has the Skype slideshow issue been fixed? It's kinda lame for your co-commentators to never be able to see what's happening and it makes me sad for them. :(

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Should be fine for the session after this (planned for tomorrow night). Got one Good Solution and a fallback. Kicking Skype to the curb entirely at this point.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Nice cliffhanger, jerk :colbert:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Geop posted:

Should be fine for the session after this (planned for tomorrow night). Got one Good Solution and a fallback. Kicking Skype to the curb entirely at this point.

good skype used to be good but now it's hot garbage

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I've always found that side area a bit weird, there's one thing you can do there later but there's no real reason for it to have its own bonfire... Was it part of the main zone originally and cut out of the loop to make it shorter?

Between the locked door to enter it and the portcullis with the item, its pretty much a big U shape so it could conceivably be put into the main path for the level with minimal changes.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The best way to deal with a magical invader is to be aggressive and get in their face. There are a handful of spells that are intended to be used in close combat, such as the Soul Greatsword used by Armorer Dennis, but those all have distinct windups that you can watch for.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Paul, you is a wahrwilf.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
That is something I can legitimately praise; Dark Souls 2 (And even more in Dark Souls 3) really amps up the AI for NPC invaders. Especially with the DLC phantoms, they actually do gestures and stuff that actually makes them seem like other human opponents. They do occasionally have their pathing mess up, which happens, which breaks the illusion a little. But the development of enemies in that regard is really something I don't mind praising.

I'm not particularly familiar with them myself though, so it should be fun to see how others behave too. :eng101:

That said, the fact that he is so overwhelmingly strong so early on with a shitload of powerful and hard to deal with magic you won't see for a LONG time (I would name it but I have no idea if it would be considered spoilers) is kinda bullshit.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 18, 2016

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

NGDBSS posted:

The best way to deal with a magical invader is to be aggressive and get in their face. There are a handful of spells that are intended to be used in close combat, such as the Soul Greatsword used by Armorer Dennis, but those all have distinct windups that you can watch for.

Problem with Dennis is that his build is well-rounded and aggressive, and his normal weapon attacks still do sizable damage (and partial magic damage), even this early in the game. Basically an entire nightmare to fight with block-heavy style, regardless of whether you're next to them or not.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I forgot about how anime the characters in this game looked until Goonther turned from a green zombie into a pale bishonen in an instant. :darksouls:

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Geop, you might enjoy squinting at dark areas and watching for ambushes, but I for one don't really enjoy not being able to make out anything on the screen. For the sake of your viewers, please consider at least taking out a torch long enough to light a sconce or two. Then once your viewers can actually see the game you're wanting to show off, you can put the torch away and go back to your preferred turtling-behind-a-shield style.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I spent most of this episode wondering where the hell he was. I just... didn't even find this area when I played the game.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015

MGlBlaze posted:

That is something I can legitimately praise; Dark Souls 2 (And even more in Dark Souls 3) really amps up the AI for NPC invaders. Especially with the DLC phantoms, they actually do gestures and stuff that actually makes them seem like other human opponents. They do occasionally have their pathing mess up, which happens, which breaks the illusion a little. But the development of enemies in that regard is really something I don't mind praising.

With respect to the invasions in Scholar, I find that they turtle distressingly often. It makes them fairly easy to shield break and visceral attack.

Dennis is the worst of them, in my experience.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

There is a reason to come back to soldier's rest every so often. It's not a good enough reason to actually do it imo, but it is a reason.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the turtle soldiers took me an embarrassingly long time to get a handle on, and I can't imagine fighting more than one without a strike weapon

also I really like that you don't have to be at a bonfire to restore your humanity

and yeah Dennis, like many other encounters in DS2, rewards aggressive play

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can see about as much as the Skype guys in this.

Dear FROM,

I have above average low light vision, and it actually hurts my eyes when a video game renders more dimly than my eyes think they would. Please cease with the stupid dark areas!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Ariong posted:

There is a reason to come back to soldier's rest every so often. It's not a good enough reason to actually do it imo, but it is a reason.

Yeah, there is a theoretically interesting item there, though I've never used it. I think I've seen it used, though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I really appreciate From adding more skeletons. Unrelated, 4-1 was my favourite area in DeS.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Midnight Voyager posted:

I can see about as much as the Skype guys in this.

Dear FROM,

I have above average low light vision, and it actually hurts my eyes when a video game renders more dimly than my eyes think they would. Please cease with the stupid dark areas!

If only there was some sort of portable light source that you could apply to those sconces so conveniently placed everywhere.

If anything, that dark place and others like it are a good way to get players to not turtle behind their shields since they have a torch. And even then they only need to carry it for a couple of yards and then they have a lit sconce and everything is light and fine again.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Thanks for the MST talk but not for the blue balls at the end. :(

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Midnight Voyager posted:

Dear FROM,

When DS2 was released, there was a huge uproar because the dark areas weren't as dark as in the previews. Some people are still mad about that and list it as a reason why DS2 sucks. SotFS is just giving the community what they demanded in that regard.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I want Kuvo to know that I caught and appreciated his sly Bloodborne reference

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Honestly, it's... not that dark? I can see it just fine, on the video and in game.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I like that every video has basically been the game screaming at Geop to not turtle behind a shield and be more aggressive and he has absolutely refused to listen to it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Looking forward to the geop bloodborne lp :getin:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly, it's... not that dark? I can see it just fine, on the video and in game.
That depends on the quality of your monitor, said monitor's setting, the light in the room you're sitting, etc.
There's a reason why the game asks you to adjust the brightness when you start a new game.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 18, 2016

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Dimebags Brain posted:

I like that every video has basically been the game screaming at Geop to not turtle behind a shield and be more aggressive and he has absolutely refused to listen to it.

In DS1 that was basically how you needed to play until later in the game, trying to swing first was death. I'm not sure about SotFS, but in base DS2 you are much safer swinging first and not letting enemies attack.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Geop, if you missed a thing from before in a place you're not likely to go back to, can I say something? It would definitely help you out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anora posted:

In DS1 that was basically how you needed to play until later in the game, trying to swing first was death.

That's not true at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

I just don"t understand how this can happen. This thread has one rule. That rule is no spoilers. Surely you have to recognize that what you are doing is wrong while you are putting spoiler tags around your words. There's not even a keyboard shortcut for that, you actually have to type out the word spoiler.

At the end of the LP we should have a big failure wall of everyone who managed to not respect the no spoilers rule.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

RareAcumen posted:

At the end of the LP we should have a big failure wall of everyone who managed to not respect the no spoilers rule.
A spoiler graph to go with the death graph?

Genius.

Where's Neruz?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Andrast posted:

That's not true at all.

This times a million. Ultra defensive combat is at its most powerful in DS1 thanks to enemies generally being slow as gently caress and shields being stupidly good, but it's still not the best way to go about things. In that game you wanna be defensive at first and then be aggressive once you're familiar with the enemy's attack patterns.

Here, as has been mentioned many times, aggression first is greatly rewarded by allowing you to quickly turn large group fights into mere 1v2/3s, and is aided by all the weapons being quick as gently caress, while (most) enemies attack fairly slow.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Yeah, so far in my entire time with the game I've only really used one shield, and even then it wasn't for blocking.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Use a loving torch in dark areas.

Armorer Dennis is basically a twink invader using high level gear and spells on a low level character invading in an early area, I love him.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Nanomashoes posted:

Use a loving torch in dark areas.

Armorer Dennis is basically a twink invader using high level gear and spells on a low level character invading in an early area, I love him.

I love some of the spells in this game, they're just fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dimebags Brain posted:

I derive great pleasure from watching Geop carefully inching around the game behind his shield like a solitary Age of Empire Phalanx, and subsequently getting flattened like a toad by some gigantic turtlemonster with a mallet the size of a small station wagon. It is hilarious to me, and I hope Geop keeps it up forever.

Geop playing howeverthehell he wants is the most entertaining part of the LP.

• Locked thread