Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some more info on Resident Evil 7 has been released:

* It does indeed take place in the existing Resident Evil universe, after Resident Evil 6.

* There will be combat, but the protagonist doesn't have the action hero skills of past protagonists and thus the game won't exactly be handing you infinite ammo rocket launchers.

* Characters from past games supposedly won't be appearing. I don't necessarily trust them on that point.

* Series staples like inventory management, healing herbs, and puzzles will return. QTEs will not.

* The demo is not, in fact, part of the game! It's a standalone prequel with limited functionality compared to the real game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Does Nathan Drake get horror film/game level death scenes like that? Genuinely asking because I've not played any Uncharted.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

No. The gruesome death thing is a Tomb Raider staple, for whatever reason. It's been in every game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Does Nathan Drake get horror film/game level death scenes like that? Genuinely asking because I've not played any Uncharted.

Special death scenes are pretty rare, so it basically is either collapsing in a heap, or ragdolling into the void.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
It's me, I'm the guy who loves QTE sequences with gory death animations. I loved them in Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider. My favorite is the knife fight in RE4. I hope they add them to all games, regardless of tone or genre. Thank you for your time.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
PREPARE FOR YOUR DEATH, LEON!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

El Cid posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who loves QTE sequences with gory death animations. I loved them in Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider. My favorite is the knife fight in RE4. I hope they add them to all games, regardless of tone or genre.
Finally, a reason for me to play a Final Fantasy game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

VoidBurger posted:

Finally, a reason for me to play a Final Fantasy game.

My anime VNs are about to get even harder to explain

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oxenfree is a good game

I don't really see any coming of age though

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Uncharted is actually pretty devoid of gore, basically nothing more than some blood spray effects from gunshots and some blood on wounded people in cutscenes. It's a fairly soft M, all things considered.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

El Cid posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who loves QTE sequences with gory death animations. I loved them in Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider. My favorite is the knife fight in RE4. I hope they add them to all games, regardless of tone or genre. Thank you for your time.
MLB The Show 18: Buckets of Blood Edition

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dance Dance (Bloody) Revolution

Sam & Max-imum Carnage

Candy Bone-crushing

E. Ace Attorney: Final Destination

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 17, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

Some more info on Resident Evil 7 has been released:

* It does indeed take place in the existing Resident Evil universe, after Resident Evil 6.

* There will be combat, but the protagonist doesn't have the action hero skills of past protagonists and thus the game won't exactly be handing you infinite ammo rocket launchers.

* Characters from past games supposedly won't be appearing. I don't necessarily trust them on that point.

* Series staples like inventory management, healing herbs, and puzzles will return. QTEs will not.

* The demo is not, in fact, part of the game! It's a standalone prequel with limited functionality compared to the real game.

so outlast but with inventory management and healing

im completely okay with that, to be honest, but that's what its sounding like. you'll probably get a knife, maybe a gun with some bullets, but your primary defense will be to run away

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rafza posted:

so outlast but with inventory management and healing

im completely okay with that, to be honest, but that's what its sounding like. you'll probably get a knife, maybe a gun with some bullets, but your primary defense will be to run away

That's what the interview with Gamespot said. It's probably going to be closest to Alien: Isolation in terms of limited combat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Dance Dance (Bloody) Revolution

Sam & Max-imum Carnage

Candy Bone-crushing

E. Ace Attorney: Final Destination

Animal Crossing (Into the Afterlife)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Improbable Lobster posted:

Animal Crossing (Into the Afterlife)

FIFA 18: Lynch Mob Edition

Tetris: Red Purge

Little Big Planetary Apocalypse

(Blood)Flow

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

MLB The Show 18: Buckets of Blood Edition

They unironically need to relaunch the "fun" sports games of the 90's. Mutant League, Super Baseball, Base Wars. They would sell like goddamned hot cakes for people like me that are sick of "hyper realistic" sports games that fall short of the real thing because they are still a video game.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Solice Kirsk posted:

They unironically need to relaunch the "fun" sports games of the 90's. Mutant League, Super Baseball, Base Wars. They would sell like goddamned hot cakes for people like me that are sick of "hyper realistic" sports games that fall short of the real thing because they are still a video game.

Blood Bowl exists.

The Frozen Synapse sequel is some sort of sport-like thing?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
There's a mutant league football remake in the works actually :getin:

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

He doesn't, but he does get pretty hosed up. I think it was the opening of Uncharted 2 where he's shot and slowly dragging himself through the snow and taking nasty falls onto cold metal surfaces.

I remember it pretty vividly because it dragged on for so long that it almost put me off Uncharted as a series.

Yardbomb posted:

I could do without Lara Croft getting rushed into a metal spike at enough speed that it rams in through her neck/jaw and out the back of her head which she struggles to pull off against for a second or two before seizing up and dying.

Cause that was a thing in there that was kind of excessive.

Is that the one on the river? The worst part about that one is that while you're still reacting to the horrible thing that just happened, the game immediately launches into gameplay again and you likely get to watch her get impaled through the head again.

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
The best addition to the remake of RE1 was the crimson heads because it doubled down on the anxiety of conservation. I really hope the "limited combat" in the new game is a reflection of that in some way because RE never really freaked me out with it's subject matter as much as the panic of choosing your battles.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

FastestGunAlive posted:

There's a mutant league football remake in the works actually :getin:

Hell yes!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The recent RE7 demo reminded me that I'm one of the lucky few people with a copy of PT still... and I've never played it cause I'm a goddamn pansy :(

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alabaster White posted:

The recent RE7 demo reminded me that I'm one of the lucky few people with a copy of PT still... and I've never played it cause I'm a goddamn pansy :(

If you don't ever plan to, sell that poo poo, people last I looked were still paying absurd amounts for consoles with PT loaded.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I mean I did some googling and apparently you can still download P.T if you had downloaded it previously by using a program called Squid

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

And yeah, I am currently downloading P. T for the first time. I "bought" it via the psn website long before I owned a ps4

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

If you don't ever plan to, sell that poo poo, people last I looked were still paying absurd amounts for consoles with PT loaded.

Am I the only person that didn't think that PT was that good? Yeah it was creepy, but it was held up by its puzzles being kind of bad and also being buggy as hell.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Am I the only person that didn't think that PT was that good? Yeah it was creepy, but it was held up by its puzzles being kind of bad and also being buggy as hell.
To be fair it was meant less as a demo and more of an ARG to hide the fact that it was a teaser for a new Silent Hill so that's why the puzzles are obtuse; it was originally meant for people to work together to solve it.

It's just game journos ruined the surprise by revealing it early.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

El Cid posted:

qtes are loving trash.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

qtes are loving trash.
Not always.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
QTEs are fine, they just need to be used well, just like every other tool in video game design.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Alabaster White posted:

http://wololo.net/2016/04/10/how-to-redownload-p-t-silent-hills/

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I thought PT's puzzles were kind of cool. I really like ARGs and am also a crazy person, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

QTEs are fine, they just need to be used well, just like every other tool in video game design.

QTE's are a fluorescent light tester. It's a tool that lets you physically do something you can discern by just looking.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

al-azad posted:

QTE's are a fluorescent light tester. It's a tool that lets you physically do something you can discern by just looking.

This is ultimately true of everything in every video game

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

No, actually this is not.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real+Sound%3A_Kaze_no_Regret?wprov=sfla1

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uT5Z1JG1lE

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Why are you showing us footage from a Garry's mod video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Regarding RE4 and it's scariness from earlier in the in the thread, I remember the atmosphere of the first level where you get stuck in that house and you see that dude revving up his chainsaw outside while the rest of the village approaches scary as gently caress when I was younger. The atmosphere was really great. Too bad it wasn't as great after that when it came to scary stuff. RE4 was still a great action game though.

Hopefully this latest game can recreate that moment early on from RE4, where you feel completely helpless and on the verge of being overwhelmed.