Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I don't know how Starenginetm will cope with a Caterpillar loaded up with three Dragonflies. A person glitching through a ship is bad enough, but a Dragonfly bouncing around and glitching through the hull is a whole different beast. How many years will it take to fix the Caterpillar's penchant to spontaneously explode with a Dragonfly in the hull?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dragonfly is treated like static cargo while loaded on the ship. You use the control panel on the catwalk to load/unload Dragonflies. You park one next to the Caterpillar, press <<use>> on the panel, it warps inside the hull, and becomes non-interactable. And visa-versa for unloading it. Having to fly and park one inside the hull seems like it will end in disaster 99% of the time due to the superfluous fidelity of the Starenginetm.

Also, how does three Dragonflies fit inside a ship with five segmented cargo modules? Each segment is walled off and joined via a door. Do they breakdown the Caterpillar into pieces, and you will need to use a space wrench to reassemble them? Do they jam them in and have part of it poke through the door and into the adjacent module (and requiring use of the immersion catwalk to move through the ship)? I don't think they've thought this one through. problem solved, it's three per module.

Also, if the Caterpillar holds fifteen Dragonflies, why do they only sell single and double packs? Is this a hotdog/bun situation where you need to buy two Caterpillars and fifteen Dragonfly twin-packs in order to have enough Dragonfly for your Caterpillar?

CIG is probably the only developer in the industry trying to solve these 'complex' problems. It might set back the game release by 3 years, but goddamn if they don't discover a convoluted method to solve what would otherwise be a trivial problem.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
You're asking too many questions.
Just... dream. The answer is there, somewhere.

In your dream.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Tokamak posted:

Also, if the Caterpillar holds three Dragonflies, why do they only sell single and double packs?

It's 3 Speeder bikes per cargo segment. It's as if you didn't care about the Broschüre, and didn't read it. Don't you have any respect for the hard work of CIG?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How do they hold a rally on hoverbikes?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's 3 Speeder bikes per cargo segment. It's as if you didn't care about the Broschüre, and didn't read it. Don't you have any respect for the hard work of CIG?

:negative:

Well then, I can't wait for the people who proudly proclaim that they have a Caterpillar loaded up with 15 Dragonflies.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

AP posted:

So apparently in this sale the Caterpillar with LTI will be sold again, first time since November 2013. Another LTI promise broken.

The only explanation that makes sense to me for doing that is they are hurting for money bad.

If I understood the rational for it CIG says that the 2 DF + C pack would have a mix of standard insurance and LTI, but their "system" can not handle that. So they give LTI for every unit in the pack. So generous, thanks CIG. LMAO.

So far it seems to be working, LTI is what really sells... They are going to have to make it really matter in the game, or be perceived as such, for it to continue selling.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 18, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tank Boy Ken posted:

:drat:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MedicineHut posted:

So far it seems to be working, LTI is what really sells... They are going to have to make it really matter in the game, or be perceived as such, for it to continue selling.

All ships that are purchased through the store will have LTI by launch. If they don't then the first month when insurance runs out on non-LTI ships, customer service will have a nightmare on its hands. It also makes sense to have LTI on your starter ship, otherwise you'd end up in a situation where you might not have a ship nor the money to buy a new one. It will probably make more whales happy than mad, but maybe they should hold off on the announcement until close to release so they can milk the maximum amount of money off them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

I spit my morning coffee lmao :sludgepal::yarg::master::lol:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

I mean, we all know the truth already, but I am really curious how CIG is going to break it at Citizens Conned that SQ42 is not releasing in 2016.

Most shitizens have already been conditioned and hardened to accept that. This has been a running campaign in the SC reddit and official forums for some time now, by most white knights.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

This is the first loss edit that I've laughed at in a long time

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

well. drat.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

the best parts are all the Chris Roberts expressions

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Beautiful in every possible way..

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Remember when citizens were concerned only about things like people running and it ruining their immersion? hahahahah

The concerns are indeed a lot more specific now.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/332524/fade-out-in-for-clothes-changing/p1

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's funny how they treat each other.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tokamak posted:

I don't know how Starenginetm will cope with a Caterpillar loaded up with three Dragonflies. A person glitching through a ship is bad enough, but a Dragonfly bouncing around and glitching through the hull is a whole different beast. How many years will it take to fix the Caterpillar's penchant to spontaneously explode with a Dragonfly in the hull?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dragonfly is treated like static cargo while loaded on the ship. You use the control panel on the catwalk to load/unload Dragonflies. You park one next to the Caterpillar, press <<use>> on the panel, it warps inside the hull, and becomes non-interactable. And visa-versa for unloading it. Having to fly and park one inside the hull seems like it will end in disaster 99% of the time due to the superfluous fidelity of the Starenginetm.

Also, how does three Dragonflies fit inside a ship with five segmented cargo modules? Each segment is walled off and joined via a door. Do they breakdown the Caterpillar into pieces, and you will need to use a space wrench to reassemble them? Do they jam them in and have part of it poke through the door and into the adjacent module (and requiring use of the immersion catwalk to move through the ship)? I don't think they've thought this one through. problem solved, it's three per module.

Also, if the Caterpillar holds fifteen Dragonflies, why do they only sell single and double packs? Is this a hotdog/bun situation where you need to buy two Caterpillars and fifteen Dragonfly twin-packs in order to have enough Dragonfly for your Caterpillar?

CIG is probably the only developer in the industry trying to solve these 'complex' problems. It might set back the game release by 3 years, but goddamn if they don't discover a convoluted method to solve what would otherwise be a trivial problem.

You should know by now that the whole solution to CryStarEnginetm problems is scaling. Just put the Dragonfly in the hull, then make it part of the ship just like the pilot.

Easy peasy lemon squeezie.

You obviously do not understand software development. Maybe this isn't the thread for you.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 18, 2016

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

:five::five::five::five::five::five:

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

tuo posted:

Guess they just don't like old school thinking....

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

tuo posted:

I'm not even sure what they're discussing but it sounds less like immersion and more like lovely game design no matter which option they pick

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Shouldn't Squadron 42 be the miscarried fetus? :v:

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

:gary: :sandance: :okpos:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

AP posted:

It seems like you can upgrade the LTI jetbike immediately to any other ship currently on sale. Used to be they'd say wait till it's flyable. So basically LTI is back on sale for pretty much everything + caterpillar, the scythe, javelin, 890 jump, idris etc excluded, the other "semi limited" stuff like the other vanduul they'll make upgrades available next time they sell them.

This should be their best sale for ages because of the LTI upgrades + $35 price.

Indeed. LTI for all at affordable prices.

Meanwhile over at the international community...

Random Cultist posted:

Starfarers, Reliant, Caterpillar, Dragonfly, Packs, CCUs, ...

So many opportunities on sale for those who know how to anticipate the future.

Good hunting to all.

It is just unbelievable how the word "opportunity" is thrown around on these sales. And also mindnumbing how oblivious some cultist are to the risks of this project.

Kuddos to Ben and Co. for pulling the best sale of the year so far.

Good hunting guys.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Kazy posted:

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 18, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

how

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dante80 posted:

Most shitizens have already been conditioned and hardened to accept that. This has been a running campaign in the SC reddit and official forums for some time now, by most white knights.

I've already seen Citizens telling each other that Sq42 hasn't been promised for release in 2016 at all.

Like, the year in the trailers? Just means the trailer was made in (or meant to be watched in) 2016. The date in interviews? Misunderstandings.

CIG will proudly announce Sq42 will release in 2017 and Citizens will cheer :peanut:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Thank you, Star Citizen backers, for prolonging our entertainment for one more day

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Not many LTI related complaints so far...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/333856/lti-back-on-the-caterpillar-what-the-hell

Submission is pretty much complete.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
While the numbers are pretty :psyduck:, isn't this like their worst first-day-of-concept-sale to date?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

It will never cease being funny that the mods don't actually delete the offending parts of the posts, just uses a strike-through. Way to enforce the rules!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

While the numbers are pretty :psyduck:, isn't this like their worst first-day-of-concept-sale to date?

Sale began late yesterday, we'll see how it goes tomorrow

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

Kazy posted:

BURRRRRNNN hahahaha

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

MedicineHut posted:

Not many LTI related complaints so far...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/333856/lti-back-on-the-caterpillar-what-the-hell

Submission is pretty much complete.

"they have to have LTI on it if it's a bundled package because of a limitation with their system not because they wanted to curb stomp early cat owners."

But but but there's no limits to what SC can do (except limits that mean they need more money I guess)

e: "They could have hacked together some frankencode for it, but didn't really want to, which is generally smart"

That doesn't sound like cig at all

Maw fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 18, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Erenthal posted:

It will never cease being funny that the mods don't actually delete the offending parts of the posts, just uses a strike-through. Way to enforce the rules!

Goons got that change made, previously they used to delete stuff then ban people. So nobody knew what for and the mods didn't like some people (goons).

I love that the concern forum where they hide things they don't want people to see, https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/categories/concern , has a sticky from someone who hasn't worked there in absolute ages. Just so it's reinforced how little attention they intend to pay to you if you post there.

quote:

Ben explained it yesterday. They wanted to do a pack that had the Caterpillar and two Dragonflies. The way the Turbulent stuff works is that either the whole package has LTI or none of it has. They could have hacked together some frankencode for it, but didn't really want to, which is generally smart.

Besides, like other peeps said, what's the difference? You can just get a Dragonfly and CCU it to a Caterpillar right now if you wanna.

The whole thing is a carefully crafted tax for being stupid at this point.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

The script had to be written during the last 4 years from scratch, whereas HBS has over 30 years of Battletech history to draw from (not from scratch).

Toast does have a point. If you want a hack look no further than Tolstoy, he had the whole history of the Napoleonic invasion to draw from and look how long it took him to write War and Peace even without any backers demanding he adds extra chapters.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
SHIP SPAWNED WITHIN ANOTHER SHIP

1 I had just died after crashing my Avenger into Security Port Koreah.
2 I went to the ship panel in Port Olisar and spawned another Avenger.
3 When I went to the pad to get in, (sorry I cant remember which pad number), there was a F7C Hornet on the pad.
4 I entered the Hornet and noticed my Avenger hud was showing within the Hornet. As you can see in the images, I was not centered correctly and things looked a bit off. I was able to fly and travel around and even shoot. The only problem started when I landed at Security Port Koreah and the 2 ships seperated.

ACTUAL RESULT
I had the visual of being in a Hornet but with the hud and weapons of a Avenger.

EXPECTED RESULT
I expected to see my Avenger on the spawn pad not a Hornet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAk9FiSQDIk&t=3s

• Locked thread