Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/744096403094409216

I'm surprised he was able to get that one on the electoral roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

To Traitors Freedom was his grandfather's name, he added it in the middle of his original name in later life as a very sweet gesture

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Jeez we got a Brevik.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

"Death to traitors, freedom for Britain" sounds like a rejected slogan for the "Breaking Point" poster.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

At least with him alive and seemingly willing to elucidate on his motives, the people who want to pretend this wasn't politically motivated can be shut up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/17/jo-cox-murder-thomas-mair-asked-for-mental-health-treatment-day/

quote:

The man accused of murdering Jo Cox sought help for his mental health problems the night before she was killed - but was told to make an appointment and come back the next day.

Also everyones seen the photo of him with a group of Britain First people standing in front of the Islam stand and a giant banner right? BF have deleted the photo from their facebook page.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/744099377447342080

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/17/jo-cox-murder-thomas-mair-asked-for-mental-health-treatment-day/

Also everyones seen the photo of him with a group of Britain First people standing in front of the Islam stand and a giant banner right? BF have deleted the photo from their facebook page.

Ah christ

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I got you fam.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

It's still on their website, and the pages have been archived on online services http://www.britainfirst.org/northern-brigade-activists-visit-26-mosques-across-dewsbury-and-bradford/

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Loving the breakneck pivoting from Louise Mensch pretending to be concerned about mental health to making jokes about mental health.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

oh god does anyone still let this person on media of any kind still and if so why

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Angepain posted:

oh god does anyone still let this person on media of any kind still and if so why

She's a professional gobshite. Her job is to wind people up.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

but indeed, if he had said wibble wibble i'm a hatstand and the daily mail et all had been publishing articles for years subtly implying that the reader was, in fact, a hatstand I think we'd still have something to complain about

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

but indeed, if he had said wibble wibble i'm a hatstand and the daily mail et all had been publishing articles for years subtly implying that the reader was, in fact, a hatstand I think we'd still have something to complain about

She quit her job as an MP to write for the Murdoch press after having been accused of softballing Rupert Murdoch and feeding the Murdoch camp info about what questions the Murdochs would be asked by the enquiry.

She's a naked sell out.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
She's the lowtax of Menshn

edit: please dont ban me from your social media platform, louise, it was just a joke.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Mainstream politicians ‘clueless on migration debate’, says Jo Cox's husband

quote:

The husband of Jo Cox plans to continue with a project that aims to build an international alliance to combat “the dangerous breeding ground” of economic insecurity on which the populist right has fed across European politics.

Brendan Cox has let it be known that he is determined to continue with the work in memory of his wife, who was killed on Thursday, but believes this will only succeed if lessons can be learned from why the right has so far taken the initiative on the migration issue.

In a paper he wrote a few weeks before his wife was killed which he has circulated – and asked the Guardian to quote from – Cox argues that one of the problems is that those hostile to refugees are better organised, more focused on galvanising public opinion, and better at tapping into human emotions, including over wider economic insecurities.

Mainstream politicians, he writes, “in most cases are clueless on how to deal with the public debate. Petrified by the rise of the populists they try to neuter them by taking their ground and aping their rhetoric. Far from closing down the debates, these steps legitimise their views, reinforce their frames and pull the debate further to the extremes (Sarkozy and the continuing rise of Front National is a case in point).”

Cox, who has spent months touring Europe speaking to campaigners, refugees and politicians to try to understand why populists have dominated the debate on migration, warns that governments, particularly in the UK, are at risk of focusing on the wrong issues: “They obsess over numbers (to most people 10,000 sounds as scary as 100,000), when they should focus on reinforcing frames of fairness and order.

“The UK government policy is a masterclass in how to get the crisis wrong; set an unrealistic target, miss it, report on it quarterly and in doing so show a complete lack of control heightening concern and fanning the flames of resentment.”

He said the forces hostile to refugees have political parties focused exclusively on the issue, whereas “the supportive groups have a few badly funded NGOs and a social media hashtag. In addition, progressive organisations with strong organising ability (whether political parties, trade unions or pressure groups) generally haven’t prioritised the crisis in the way the populist right have.

“All of this has meant that the populist right have shifted the politics and the public debate of the issue far more than their actual numbers dictate.

“In Germany, for example, huge amounts of energy from the supportive constituency is channelled into practical support, from mentoring to language training. This is hugely valuable but the focus on this above all else has left the public narrative almost uncontested (especially online) for the populist right to exploit.”

Cox also admits that what people think is often not related to facts but to emotion. “In a country like Poland, immigration can dominate a national election debate, despite the country being 97% white Catholic (and immigration levels being at a level where the immigration officers probably remember all the applicants’ names),” he adds.

But he claims that the core of support for refugees is highly motivated and probably has demography on its side. “In the US, UK and France, young people (18-34) are between three and four times more supportive than older people. In addition, people who know refugees and immigrants are much more likely to be supportive of them and of migration as a whole.

“As our societies become more diverse and immigration reaches more communities, more communities are likely to become less prejudiced and more supportive. Like the battle for LGBT rights, there could be a tipping point when debates stop being abstract and start to be based on personal experience.”

In conclusion, Cox writes: “There is no reason we can’t quickly shift the debate back to the mainstream and in doing so not only help refugees and migrants, but also help marginalise the resurgent populist right. To do so we need to readjust our efforts to reflect that power on this issue is with the people.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

that article is spot on imo, it turns out all that was needed to get an unabashedly leftist perspective on immigration published was for someone to get murdered

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I know Widow's Succession isn't the done thing any more, but goddamn if I don't want this man to succeed Jo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

I know Widow's Succession isn't the done thing any more, but goddamn if I don't want this man to succeed Jo.

Labour already did that once this year when Harry Harpham died. Brendan Cox probably wants to make sure he's there for his kids right now though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

At least with him alive and seemingly willing to elucidate on his motives, the people who want to pretend this wasn't politically motivated can be shut up.

I'm glad british police subdue a crazed gunman by rugby tackling him rather than annihilating everything in a 100m radius like the yanks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

massive spider posted:

I'm glad british police subdue a crazed gunman by rugby tackling him rather than annihilating everything in a 100m radius like the yanks.

Don't be daft, the Americans would have caught him alive.

He's white.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/744111611250610176

No it doesnt

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If it actually is him, surely that'll come up in the trial and the people blindly asserting is isn't will look silly? He doesn't seem like he's going to be shy about his motivations based on the name he's given the court.

That said, there's no way we can say that's definitely him based on a blurry side profile shot, so it's all pure speculation at this point anyway.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm sure Marin Le Pen will issue a full apology now that we know what the killer's motive was:

Marine Le Pen: do not speculate about Jo Cox's killing

quote:

Le Pen spoke at a meeting in Vienna of rightwing and Eurosceptic parties convened under the motto “patriotic spring”.

In a speech at the meeting, Le Pen said support for Brexit in the UK was one sign of a “new air” of patriotism sweeping Europe in what she called a “springtime of the people”.

She said people across Europe had been “stuck for too long in a fatalism imposed by their disconnected or cynical elite” and the EU created “confusion, disorder and conflict” on all topics and caused “chaos and destruction everywhere”.

When asked about Cox’s murder, Nicolas Bay, the Front National’s general secretary, told French TV: “It’s clearly hard to have an explanation. It’s a dramatic event and our thoughts are first with her family and children. For the rest, I think it’s the investigation that will tell us things and above all it’s important to hold back from any use of it for political purposes.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Private Speech posted:

I'm sure Marin Le Pen will issue a full apology now that we know what the killer's motive was:

Marine Le Pen: do not speculate about Jo Cox's killing

"Springtime" is a term the far right should avoid.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lid posted:

"Springtime" is a term the far right should avoid.

Seriously, Marine. Don't be stupid. Be a smarty.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Pissflaps identity confirmed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Britain First posted:

Our pro-EU, Islamist-loving opponents haven't seen anything yet!
They think they can get away with ruining our country, turning us into a Third World country, giving away our homes, jobs and heritage, but they will face the wrath of the Britain First movement, make no mistake about it!
We will not rest until every traitor is punished for their crimes against our country.
And by punished, I mean good old fashioned British justice at the end of a rope!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

If it actually is him, surely that'll come up in the trial and the people blindly asserting is isn't will look silly? He doesn't seem like he's going to be shy about his motivations based on the name he's given the court.

That said, there's no way we can say that's definitely him based on a blurry side profile shot, so it's all pure speculation at this point anyway.

At first they were smugly stating that he didn't say "Britain First" when he shot Jo Cox. Then when it came out that he had said it multiple times they said it proves nothing.

Their entire MO is to deflect this as much responsibility from their own rhetoric as possible until it's out of the news cycle. I mean not one of these people dismissing links to right wing extremism gave the same courtesy to Lee Rigby's killers despite one of them having medically diagnosed Schizophrenia.

They'll bemoan cuts to mental health while doing nothing about it and cutting it more once everybody has moved on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

quote:

Our pro-EU, Islamist-loving opponents haven't seen anything yet!
They think they can get away with ruining our country, turning us into a Third World country, giving away our homes, jobs and heritage, but they will face the wrath of the Britain First movement, make no mistake about it!
We will not rest until every traitor is punished for their crimes against our country.
And by punished, I mean good old fashioned British justice at the end of a rope!
Well, they might not be advocating violence.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its a bit shameful how he's trying to politicize this murder really.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

massive spider posted:

Its a bit shameful how he's trying to politicize this murder really.

Yes, how could you possibly politicise the murder of a politician, for political reasons, by a person involved with another political group which opposed everything she stood for?

It's almost like this is inherently political or something

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So goes Brexit going? Still 4.5 days till the UK's economy is trashed?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Why is it ever bad to politicize anything considering almost everything is political in some way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"But how could have he been inspired to do this?"

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jakabite posted:

Yes, how could you possibly politicise the murder of a politician, for political reasons, by a person involved with another political group which opposed everything she stood for?

It's almost like this is inherently political or something

All that evidence doesn't count because of... uh, because of the problem of induction

I think you'll find we can never know if he was motivated by politics or if one moment even really follows on from the last

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rakosi posted:

Why is it ever bad to politicize anything considering almost everything is political in some way.

Its interesting seeing tonnes of pro-brexit commentors going "its TOTALLY SHAMEFUL the remain crowd using this for POLITICAL ENDS. they'd BETTER NOT say the totally obvious thing they're CLEARLY THINKING of saying"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rakosi posted:

probably because the public perception of politics is synonymous with sleaze, grease, filth and bullshit.

• Locked thread