Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Mephisto being "I've brought your true love back to life," and it is Carlie Cooper.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Metalshark posted:

So Aunt May's ill, Mephisto is taunting Peter and MJ is back in Peter's life... are we actually heading towards Dead No One More Day? :ohdear:

Now all we need is Aunt May dying from a treatable disease and we've traveled as far back as we need to in time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

evilmiera posted:

Now all we need is Aunt May dying from a treatable disease and we've traveled as far back as we need to in time.

Howard probably has some health insurance plan for her anyway.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I actually think Mephisto reversing the memories part of One More Day but keeping everything the same would actually be a really good narrative move - i.e. Peter and MJ both suddenly realize that they were married for all this time and mutually decided to give it up and they both have to grapple with the grief and anger over sacrificing the greatest thing that had happened to either of them, especially since they're both sort of at a point where they've moved on from each other. I can see a lot of drama being mined from the self-loathing and torture of realizing they erased the most significant portion of their lives while still keeping the status quo of Mary Jane and Pete not being together. Also, it totally seems like a hilariously Mephisto dick thing to do, where he's torturing people in the guise of doing them a kindness.

Also I'll crosspost this from the main Marvel thread:

Toxxupation posted:

I'm doing a readthrough of Ultimate Spider-Man for the first time and it's crazy how modern and fresh Bendis' take on Spider-Man is. Like, issues from 2000 don't have that weird late 90s/early 00s storytelling style and the story just moves, and it feels so exciting to read in a way that's really impressive.

I guess it speaks to how because it's an explicitly alternate universe like, everything's at stake. I know the major beats of the US-M run - Pete dies at some point, Miles replaces him, SW 2015 brings him over to the 616 - but because I don't know what specifically happens dangers feel real. Like when Goblin throws MJ off the bridge super early in the run I was actually concerned that Bendis was gonna kill off MJ because there's nothing that says that MJ and Peter are supposed to be the one true pairing or whatever.

It's a comic that started in 2000 that has the storytelling sensibilities and approach that makes it indistinguishable from modern-day comics (besides the badly dated and awful slang, really poor use of swears ("Heinie", really? Really?), and 2000s-rear end costume and body designs (Ultimate Gwen Stacy sure does have some late 90s Marvel woman proportions)) and I can see how the 1610 got as popular as it is if this was the foundation. It also reinforces to me how badly Spider-Gwen is loving it up in comparison (although the beginning to the newest arc seems at least somewhat interesting and could be the comic finally pulling it together) because I'm just chewing through back issues of US-M while trudging my feet through every issue of Spider-Gwen.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a really, really impressive comic that presents a story that I should already know all the beats of in a way that still surprises and engages. For all the poo poo Bendis gets now for his creative choices, US-M shows he had the writing chops to earn it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Slott is back to being terrible with his OC do not steal being powerful enough to beat up all the superheroes in the world including Thor and Hyperion. I can't roll my eyes hard enough at that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Regent already had his time in the spotlight with the stupid sad sack Spidey mini series, I don't know why we have to revisit the exact same story but this time with Iron Man. Oh well, whatever. Just get it over with, Slott.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was only a matter of time before he dicked things up again. And seriously, ASM has been so good since the relaunch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm going to forgive him this issue. Even the cover sucks. Next issues cover looks so good though. I don't care what's going on inside.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, despite my bitching this is still the first chapter I've actively disliked. So I'm still pretty pleased overall with the run so far.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

It was only a matter of time before he dicked things up again. And seriously, ASM has been so good since the relaunch.

Why do people keep saying this?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
to gently caress with you, on a personal level

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
We all know that this ends with Mary Jane sneaking into Regent's base in a suit of Iron Spider armor and breaking all the heroes out, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

We all know that this ends with Mary Jane sneaking into Regent's base in a suit of Iron Spider armor and breaking all the heroes out, right?

Because covers never lie, right?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I was thinking more that it'd be the closest analogue to how it went in the Secret Wars mini, but sure.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Question about Ultimate Spider-Man.

Did Curt Conners lose his arm and become the Lizard entirely offscreen in the 1610? Because I'm wondering if I missed an issue where that happened and Spider-Man subsequently fought him or US-M just sorta assumes "He's the Lizard, you loving get it".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Question about Ultimate Spider-Man.

Did Curt Conners lose his arm and become the Lizard entirely offscreen in the 1610? Because I'm wondering if I missed an issue where that happened and Spider-Man subsequently fought him or US-M just sorta assumes "He's the Lizard, you loving get it".

Lizard first pops up in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10 but it's not really canon. Reading that series will just confuse you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

X-O posted:

Lizard first pops up in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10 but it's not really canon. Reading that series will just confuse you.

There are parts of Team-Up that are definitely canon, like the Daredevil/Punisher stuff, but then there are also parts that aren't like the Iron Man and FF stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Dead No More" has officially been titled Clone Conspiracy.

Hhhhhgggggggggggnnnnnggggggg

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I miss Rhyno, ever since he died of those 17 simultaneous coronaries.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You mean Dead No More: The Clone Conspiracy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone that owns the entire Clone Collection in hardcover cannot by law bitch about Clone stories. Sorry.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait Rhyno owns the entirety of the Clone Saga?

For reals?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Wait Rhyno owns the entirety of the Clone Saga?

For reals?

Yes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Anyways, here's the title! See? "Clone Conspiracy" is a subtitle. All good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not in hardcover!

Just in singles and trades.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's actually worse. That means you own the twice over. What is wrong with you?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

To be fair he only bought them once, but inherited the second set from his clone, Ben Rhynly, when the latter dissolved into a gelatinous heap of cytoplasm.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

GET OUT OF THERE RHYNO RHYNERCIDE'S AFTER YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

Not in hardcover!

Just in singles and trades.

But soon you will!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

What is wrong with you?

How many years on and you still haven't figured that out?

The thing is, Slott is at his best on Spider-man when he's doing his own thing. When he's rehashing old ideas or playing with someone else's toys he stumbles in the worst way.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just hope Doc Ock gets his brain put into a clone of Peter.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Vishass posted:

That makes a little more sense. I was wondering why Goblin was the wrong person and the book was harping on it.

Is their some reason Spidey 2099 ('90's version) doesn't have a collected version? I don't remember it going on for very long, couldn't the entire run fit in an Essentials? No idea if these have become expensive, but I've had half a mind to just buy the whole run as individual issues. Just seems very time consuming.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Well this explains why Marvel reprinted the clone saga recently

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dead No More, Part VI: The Clone Conspiracy, Chapter LXVII: Sins of the Fathers Part IV: Neogenic Nightmare Part XVII

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What the gently caress

Seriously 'Clonespiracy' is right there.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That sounds just enough like a prescription antibiotic that I'm voting for the two-word version.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

"Dead No More" has officially been titled Clone Conspiracy.

Hhhhhgggggggggggnnnnnggggggg
Wow, I'm so totally shocked. I could never have seen this one coming, despite the blatant hints.
:suicide:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm near the end of the Clone Saga in USM and I gotta say this is the first major story arc that I don't think really works (especially issue 100 which was just kind of a mess from beginning to end), largely because it has the same problems that 616 Clone Saga did of reintroducing a bunch of dead characters and clones all at once so it's kind of a convoluted mess from beginning to end.

The Gwen Stacy is Carnage reveal was pretty loving cool though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really liked the Clone Saga arc in USM. The only stuff in USM I didn't like was the Geldoff story and the Deadpool arc. Was Geldoff the first/only original 1610 character to get a 616 version too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I gotta say that the end to the Clone Saga stuff was actually really, really strong, I might've jumped the gun there. Still think issue 100 was kind of a total and complete mess though.

But yeah, Ultimate Deadpool has a couple of interesting ideas but he's so divorced from the actual character he doesn't really work. Also his costume is so, so bad.

• Locked thread