Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
What's it called when a social worker gets casual shifts at crisis centers? I'm trying to find an article in The Age from a few years ago and I think I must be missing some vital keyword that will allow me to google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hiddenmovement posted:

What's it called when a social worker gets casual shifts at crisis centers? I'm trying to find an article in The Age from a few years ago and I think I must be missing some vital keyword that will allow me to google it.

Placement?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Nope, that's not it. I am trying to find two articles/blog posts I read, one about a young woman deciding she couldn't dress up for work anymore because male clients took it the wrong way and one about needing a car to get to these very occasional shifts she was being given which barely paid for the cost of running said car. Googling for issues that social workers have just brings up 11 billion hits asking me if I need a social worker, so that's no bueno. After an hours search I did find a great big fat PHD someone has written about job stress in the community services sector so that's going to be some help, but I'm doing a bit of short story writing and I wanted something that had more of a human element to it as opposed to the dry, research based approach of a PHD.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Does this help? http://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/social-life-blog/2013/oct/25/challenges-young-female-social-worker

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Yes, that's one of them. Thanks. What did you google?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hiddenmovement posted:

Yes, that's one of them. Thanks. What did you google?

blog social worker dress

I'm trying to find the car one, but that's really hard and as you can probably tell, my google-fu isn't that great. It should be better - I work in a library - but it is what it is.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Malcolm Turnbull Stands By Pedophile Donors

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Blood or semen?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Cartoon posted:

Blood or semen?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LibertyCat posted:

I agree, wanting to stop the spread of culture that encourages stoning rape victims is an evil comparable to the Holocaust. Christ. I didn't strain my brain too much thinking of a witty comeback because calling people you don't like Nazis is Lazy Internet Debating 101.

I'm not trying kick people already legally here out (or put them in camps etc). We should be under no obligation to allow anyone new into the country that we, as a democracy, decide aren't good for us. That isn't the same as murdering them.

LibertyCat posted:

I don't consider myself a Nazi but I am very strongly Nationalist. I am greatly in favor of civil liberties for citizens - Demolishing mosques etc is the opposite of that.

I do think the middle eastern culture is dreadful (esp for women, LBTQI and nonbelievers) and there is no reason to encourage its spread by letting people from those regions enter in large groups.

I think remote communities that have no possible hope of being economically sustainable should stop being subsidized, negative gearing distorts the economy, we are letting too many people into the country in general, and the resulting population growth is straining our existing services and is bad for our quality of life.

If NZ want to take refugees, let them.

Other countries are way more racist/xenophobic than us but this thread makes out like we're the worst of the worst.

hahahahahahahhaahaha

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Countdown until LibertySieg starts goosesteeping his white rear end to a half-decent comeback?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Recoome posted:

Countdown until LibertySieg starts goosesteeping his white rear end to a half-decent comeback?

Probably about the same timeline as the heatdeath of the universe, potentially longer.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Like seriously.

This morning Fairfax runs two stories. One an in depth piece on how the Brethren are a bunch of pedophile defending child abusing scum.

The other about how the brethren are big donors to the Liberal party.

Asked about it Malcolm Turnbull says:

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull says he has "no criticisms or complaints" to make of the controversial Exclusive Brethren and is happy for the extremist Christian sect to continue donating to the Liberal Party.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Before I put my foot in my mouth, I'd like to run something past you guys. Does the graph here show that mining companies paid ten billion in tax in 2008? The argument is whether the arts pay more taxes than the mines.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Libertycat likes creed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Starshark posted:

Before I put my foot in my mouth, I'd like to run something past you guys. Does the graph here show that mining companies paid ten billion in tax in 2008? The argument is whether the arts pay more taxes than the mines.
Less than 10 billion in total taxes and royalties, but in rough terms yes? As to whether the Arts pays more taxes you get an enormous amount of discretion as to where you draw that particular fence. I suspect if you limited it to companies whose prime activity was in the arts then the figure would be less than a couple of billion which isn't to suggest the mining sector isn't tiny compared to the arts sector. Here's an article on taxation and the Arts which goes into enormous detail except for the figure you seem to want. It does highlight the issue of what counts towards 'Arts'.

http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/33230/63677_1.pdf;jsessionid=D5717AEBF0944D1EE43F538045FB89F7?sequence=1

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Cartoon posted:

Less than 10 billion in total taxes and royalties, but in rough terms yes? As to whether the Arts pays more taxes you get an enormous amount of discretion as to where you draw that particular fence. I suspect if you limited it to companies whose prime activity was in the arts then the figure would be less than a couple of billion which isn't to suggest the mining sector isn't tiny compared to the arts sector. Here's an article on taxation and the Arts which goes into enormous detail except for the figure you seem to want. It does highlight the issue of what counts towards 'Arts'.

http://www98.griffith.edu.au/dspace/bitstream/handle/10072/33230/63677_1.pdf;jsessionid=D5717AEBF0944D1EE43F538045FB89F7?sequence=1

I'm not all that bothered with proving the arts pay more. What got me was this comment:

quote:

Come on, Australian Mining Companies have been Bank Rolling the country for years. That's the problem. They're not making the money this week.

<10billion for a ~300 billion budget hardly meets my criteria for 'bank rolling'.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Friend of a friend of mine on FB calls Friendlyjordies a paid Labor shill. Friendlyjordies proceeds to meltdown and show how easy to get a reaction from him is:

So I guess he's just an unpaid Labor shill then? Also if you criticise him, you're clearly a dickless Liberal voter who has to pay for sex.

Is he still 15?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
not having a dick is BAD

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Also he will insult you based on your profile picture, clearly a witty and sharp individual.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mithranderp posted:

not having a dick is BAD

Authorised by G. Wright, Australian Labor Party, Canberra

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna say that hanging poo poo on friendlyjordies for being a shill is probably not worth the time and effort it would take but lmao that shut my mouth maybe I should get a facebook account going again

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Authorised by G. Wright, Australian Labor Party, Canberra
:five:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

"I'm a progressive leftist, I really am!" cries a classist, sexist unpaid Labor shill.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That doesnt seem very friendly

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

Friend of a friend of mine on FB calls Friendlyjordies a paid Labor shill. Friendlyjordies proceeds to meltdown and show how easy to get a reaction from him is:

So I guess he's just an unpaid Labor shill then? Also if you criticise him, you're clearly a dickless Liberal voter who has to pay for sex.

Is he still 15?

I vote him millennial most likely to become Chris Uhlmann in thirty odd years.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tokamak posted:

Nah, Tom Tilley has him covered

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Tokamak posted:

Joe Hildebrand/Chris Uhlmann hybrid.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
how fukken good is yilmaz but ayy lmao

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Birdstrike posted:

yilmaaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaz

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

Is he still 15?

hahahaha that dude is seriously unchill as gently caress

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Birdstrike posted:

I like how the racist impressions aren't racist

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-18/jo-cox:-thomas-mair-appears-in-court/7523260

quote:

"Death to traitors, freedom for Britain," 52-year-old Thomas Mair said when asked to give his name in Westminster Magistrates' Court in London, the Press Association reported.

~A look into the future of Australia~

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Seagull posted:

I like how the racist impressions aren't racist

muslim yilmaz isn't a race

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Right now I am picturing that part of the Facebook debate where Joe Hildebrand asked Shorten if he really thought Australians would be so bad during a SSM plebiscite, then video of that guy saying death to traitors freedom for Britain a few times, then a really poor pixelated zoom in on a still shot of Hildebrand at the debate while horns.wav plays.

I cbf making the video.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Or that time where Joe tried to imply primary and secondary school had HECS.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I went to friendjordies' facebook page to try and find some laughs but it's just him telling people to vote Labor 1 because Greens just want to steal Labor Left seats/it's preferable to have Albo and Pilbersek in cabinet over a Labor minority government that has to negotiate with the Greens. And them him getting really mad when people call out his bullshit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Apparently there was a UPF Rally in Perth today. I can only find this news article, which states approximately 200 people attended on the Ultranationalist side. However, there's not a lot of pictures to gauge the size of the crowd, with the majority of pictures being centered around masked dudes who complain about left-wing dudes being covered up and poo poo. Seeing most of the pictures were about signs and patting themselves on the back, I guess that speaks for itself.

https://twitter.com/Infidel_72/status/744109905502625792
A rare picture of the crowd. Looks like a fair turnout

https://twitter.com/joel_hack/status/744048317173227520
Yet another crowd shot. No shots looking from a podium or anything so numbers aren't being broadcasted by the organisers.

The usual suspects. Third from left is Dennis Huts, the UPF lieutenant in Perth. Sixth from left/right is Chris Shortis, Blair Cottrell is to his left (our right), and they make up most of the leadership in Victoria. To the right of Blair is Elijah Jacobson aka Kevin Coombes, who is the ~shadowmaster~.

Implications

This rally in Perth represents one of the largest, successful gatherings which has taken place for RA/UPF this year. This rally was ~not~ challenged by a significant number of counter-protesters, although this also had the effect of not turning this into a national spectacle. If it wasn't for this post, it wouldn't even rate a mention outside of a local website and the Ultranationalist circles themselves. The complete media blackout on this is likely going to starve them of recruiting new people, but in turn will further harden the resolve of the more dedicated UPF/RA/TBC dudes.

So basically Perth is a gigantic racist shithole where duders can be openly racist and belligerent and noottthhhiiing happens, it's amazing. I mean the only other place where I'm aware this might be possible is like Bendigo or Melton.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Recoome posted:

Apparently there was a UPF Rally in Perth today. I can only find this news article, which states approximately 200 people attended on the Ultranationalist side. However, there's not a lot of pictures to gauge the size of the crowd, with the majority of pictures being centered around masked dudes who complain about left-wing dudes being covered up and poo poo. Seeing most of the pictures were about signs and patting themselves on the back, I guess that speaks for itself.

https://twitter.com/Infidel_72/status/744109905502625792
A rare picture of the crowd. Looks like a fair turnout

https://twitter.com/joel_hack/status/744048317173227520
Yet another crowd shot. No shots looking from a podium or anything so numbers aren't being broadcasted by the organisers.

The usual suspects. Third from left is Dennis Huts, the UPF lieutenant in Perth. Sixth from left/right is Chris Shortis, Blair Cottrell is to his left (our right), and they make up most of the leadership in Victoria. To the right of Blair is Elijah Jacobson aka Kevin Coombes, who is the ~shadowmaster~.

Implications

This rally in Perth represents one of the largest, successful gatherings which has taken place for RA/UPF this year. This rally was ~not~ challenged by a significant number of counter-protesters, although this also had the effect of not turning this into a national spectacle. If it wasn't for this post, it wouldn't even rate a mention outside of a local website and the Ultranationalist circles themselves. The complete media blackout on this is likely going to starve them of recruiting new people, but in turn will further harden the resolve of the more dedicated UPF/RA/TBC dudes.

So basically Perth is a gigantic racist shithole where duders can be openly racist and belligerent and noottthhhiiing happens, it's amazing. I mean the only other place where I'm aware this might be possible is like Bendigo or Melton.

Serious question: what does/would it take to weaken the resolve of groups like these? It strikes me that any hurdle presented to them is made to be an inciting event or a cause for martyrdom ("we're persecuted and ignored by the mainstream because they're in league with the pro-refugee media!") and incidents that go unchallenged are turned into demonstrations of power.

I guess these cases are going to buoy the core group of diehard adherents anyway, and that you're talking about converts (those who might likely be convinced by media presence/notoriety). It strikes me that perhaps the only way to weaken core members is to embarrass them out of publicly expressing their beliefs (for example by showcasing weakness and undermining the group's capability to project a tough image) or to somehow convince them their beliefs are wrong (which seems very difficult on its own).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

According to Mega George, Australia actually leads the world with political/economic trends, but because we're so lazy/lackadaisical/she'll-be-right about the whole thing its kept reasonably under control and never quite melts down the whole system completely. The Australian Moment and Australia's Second Chance says it better. Anyway I'm not concerned, this is just the UK catching up with our Tampa.

Recoome posted:

Nazi watch

These are really great, don't stop

Edit:

The Narrator posted:

Serious question: what does/would it take to weaken the resolve of groups like these? It strikes me that any hurdle presented to them is made to be an inciting event or a cause for martyrdom ("we're persecuted and ignored by the mainstream because they're in league with the pro-refugee media!") and incidents that go unchallenged are turned into demonstrations of power.

I guess these cases are going to buoy the core group of diehard adherents anyway, and that you're talking about converts (those who might likely be convinced by media presence/notoriety). It strikes me that perhaps the only way to weaken core members is to embarrass them out of publicly expressing their beliefs (for example by showcasing weakness and undermining the group's capability to project a tough image) or to somehow convince them their beliefs are wrong (which seems very difficult on its own).

The Racist Tree

• Locked thread