Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Why is the patcher so .... fast. It is crawling along at 15 mb/s but it isn't my internet connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Why is the patcher so .... fast. It is crawling along at 15 mb/s but it isn't my internet connection.

That's the patcher applying the patch. Probably the speed of your SSD/HDD.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Ok that makes more sense, also now its doing some downloading at 66 mb/s. It just isn't descriptive so at first I was like oh buddy this is going to be a long night of patching.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
So when I am max level eventually. Will I be able to be a fully min maxed build with crafting, since crafting takes skill point? If I can about min maxing (I do, its a problem in mmo type games), should I make an alt that crafts?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

So when I am max level eventually. Will I be able to be a fully min maxed build with crafting, since crafting takes skill point? If I can about min maxing (I do, its a problem in mmo type games), should I make an alt that crafts?

If you grab every skyshard, do all the story quests, and all the dungeons you'll end up with something like 300+ skill points. I recommend having your main do crafting just because of research, unless you don't mind inventory management.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

If you grab every skyshard, do all the story quests, and all the dungeons you'll end up with something like 300+ skill points. I recommend having your main do crafting just because of research, unless you don't mind inventory management.

How many skill points do you need for your main build without crafting?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

How many skill points do you need for your main build without crafting?

Like if you want just the bare bones, know exactly what active abilities and passives you want? Probably like 150 skill points, probably even dramatically less than that if you already know exactly what you need. You'll get what, 66 skill points just from leveling to 50, then there's like 16 or so skyshards for each of the "full" zones so you end up with like 100 or so skill points from that alone, each of the "full" zones has a dungeon and most give out one or two skill points for that, also a public dungeon which rewards a skill point, also each "full" region gives out like five or so skill points from the main quests, this is all before you even start talking about the DLC zones. You get a bunch of SP from the main storyline quests too.

Where it really starts becoming a question is how many alts you want to do.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

Is there an addon for finding skyshards?

Edit:
Found the mod in the OP

Usenet Magic-User fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 17, 2016

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Why is alts a question, does having them give some huge benefit?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
In addition to skill points, which are plentiful in general, but can be a bit scarce if you don't do skill point quests and sky shard runs. Scarce-ish if you want many crafts on one character...

In addition there is also the end game materials thing. There is a large bump from cp150 to cp160. It might be good to create a list of the materials needed to support an end game build so folks who want to can keep that in mind and make choices or whatever. I am in the middle of it and get confused so not the person to do it.

Roughly 130-150 cp160 mats for each piece of gear, so something along the lines of 1.2-1.5k stack of mats for white gear.

I think it is 8 legendary tempers per piece of gear.

Then if you want legendary glyphs there are the runes. I think hakeijo goes for 5k telvar or 18k-ish gold. It's used for tri-stat stuff. I think.

Then food or drink things like frost Miriam that you need for those.

That's the crafting route brutally hashed, which provides a lot of good end game gear.

You could also get really rich and buy most of that.

Then there is the dropped stuff, the dungeon and pvp rewards, the telvar and alliance point economies all of which have desirable end game gear for many builds. A bunch of those things will just happen in the course of playing the game if you want, but I wish I understood them earlier and had a better understanding now.

Also... I think the minotaurs in Gold Coast have one of the best sound packs in the game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Why is alts a question, does having them give some huge benefit?

Like any mmo if you have a lot of alts you can make more benefit from dailies since dailies are by character, not account. So some people have multiple (if not all) maxed out crafting (and even combat) characters. So if you have eight (or more after the DB update) crafting characters you can do the crafting dailies x times a day and have a lot of resources rewarded to craft/get rich off of.

Of course, you don't need to do that, that's just the all in way of doing things. You got a main you will be able to craft and fight and do all the content and max out your gear at a reasonable clip.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Ahh thanks for all the input. I am to far from end game to even think about materials but it is good to know its a consideration. So I downloaded some addons. Is there a way to know what skill points I 'missed' in a region? For instance if I leave an area and got 2/3 skyshards did 1/2 dungeons and got all the quest skill points, will there be a way to know which dungeon still has a skill point available for me?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

i havent played since launch are bows still poo poo & useless? from what i'm reading it looks like the range is still real bad

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Ahh thanks for all the input. I am to far from end game to even think about materials but it is good to know its a consideration. So I downloaded some addons. Is there a way to know what skill points I 'missed' in a region? For instance if I leave an area and got 2/3 skyshards did 1/2 dungeons and got all the quest skill points, will there be a way to know which dungeon still has a skill point available for me?
There's an achievement in each zone for getting all the skyshards. I think it might also give a rough description or placement?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

valuum posted:

There's an achievement in each zone for getting all the skyshards. I think it might also give a rough description or placement?
It does indeed: in the respective Skyshard achievement each one has a small blurb that hints where they can be found and can the fun searching for them that way the first time around.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks that makes sense. What about quests? I have been doing all the side quests in an area. Will it say if a quest I haven't done yet gives a skill point or would I have to check out of game?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't like the ESO patcher/launcher because I have to babysit it or the speed drops off and goes slow as molasses.

Each spike in speed is after pausing and restarting.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wrecking Crew did a thing last night (also, more feedback for the dungeon team wrt/ Heavy Armor and Tanking changes, Doomfunk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqoY1pE199U

Excuse the music, I had to cut out native sound because I forgot I had Netflix in the BG while recording.

Also this is probably like 1 of 3 dungeons that is an actual tank check (though I've seen some groups 3 DPS it with a heal-tank doing all the work). I'll do one for Banished Cells tonight since it's the daily vet pledge today.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Skyshard add on to put missing sky shards on your map. There's one for Mage guild lore books too.

I use an addon manager called minion but I hear the latest version has ads.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

Wrecking Crew did a thing last night (also, more feedback for the dungeon team wrt/ Heavy Armor and Tanking changes, Doomfunk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqoY1pE199U

Excuse the music, I had to cut out native sound because I forgot I had Netflix in the BG while recording.

Also this is probably like 1 of 3 dungeons that is an actual tank check (though I've seen some groups 3 DPS it with a heal-tank doing all the work). I'll do one for Banished Cells tonight since it's the daily vet pledge today.

What should I be seeing in that video about tanking? What is the feedback exactly? I don't really have a baseline comparison.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cyrodiil vendor up for the weekend

gonna pass

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

More videos of sap-tank in action (just posting for the hell of it, and I need practice with editing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoVcjXG3CH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duXsKgk6RrI

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Diggin' the FFMQ tracks. Also all the standing-in-fire you do.

e: Hmmm. Stands-in-Fire.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Are you running both malubeth and guard in that?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sogol posted:

Are you running both malubeth and guard in that?

Yeah, I've only been testing it out but right now it's my favorite Undaunted set for being a damage sponge. As far as guard goes I try to use it when I can, but in fights like the Rilis and Nerien'eth encounters, it's a bit difficult to both control the additional spawns as well as keep a DPS guarded for the Minor Force boost.

Working on the White-Gold run we did last week as we speak, should have that up either tonight or tomorrow morning depending on how long it takes to render and compress the two clips I have.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Here we go, White-Gold video:

Molag Kena, Difficult Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqKI1YjglTI

Planar Inhibitor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXeKF3N4VU

So a few things (mostly feedback that hopefully Doomfunk can pass on to the dungeon team):
-We ran this dungeon without a dedicated healer, running 3 nightblades was more than enough off-heals to keep everyone alive. I can't even remember if ennuid used Breath of Life at all during the run.
-We were able to absolutely ignore the original intended mechanics for Planar Inhibitor, which was mainly rotating off the pinion to each group member. Boss went down fast enough to not really require it.
-Only reason I died at Planar Inhibitor was because I was still tethered to ennuid and I was trying to keep the Minor Force buff on him during the execute phase. It would have been a perfect run if I hadn't decided to do that.
-Overall, the three dungeons that received "adjustments to difficulty" can now be completed very quickly and very cleanly by an organized group who know their roles and their classes. Hopefully we can get some dungeons later on that aren't just stack-and-burn affairs or have mechanics that can be ignored if group DPS is high enough. But none of that "random one-shot" bullshit from Maelstrom or Veteran Sanctum Ophidia. Give us mechanics like the ones found in Maw of Lorkhaj, but scaled down so that a group of four can manage it.

We didn't do Veteran Imperial City Prison last week, so hopefully I can get some good tank PoV when it comes up in the rotation again (or sooner if my glasses are ready by this weekend).

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

bradybunch posted:

Skyshard add on to put missing sky shards on your map. There's one for Mage guild lore books too.

I use an addon manager called minion but I hear the latest version has ads.

Didn't notice if it had ads or not, so if it does they aren't to bad. It seems worth it though, not really for the initial install but never having to check each addon page for updates.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Here we go, White-Gold video:

Molag Kena, Difficult Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqKI1YjglTI

Planar Inhibitor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXeKF3N4VU

So a few things (mostly feedback that hopefully Doomfunk can pass on to the dungeon team):
-We ran this dungeon without a dedicated healer, running 3 nightblades was more than enough off-heals to keep everyone alive. I can't even remember if ennuid used Breath of Life at all during the run.
-We were able to absolutely ignore the original intended mechanics for Planar Inhibitor, which was mainly rotating off the pinion to each group member. Boss went down fast enough to not really require it.
-Only reason I died at Planar Inhibitor was because I was still tethered to ennuid and I was trying to keep the Minor Force buff on him during the execute phase. It would have been a perfect run if I hadn't decided to do that.
-Overall, the three dungeons that received "adjustments to difficulty" can now be completed very quickly and very cleanly by an organized group who know their roles and their classes. Hopefully we can get some dungeons later on that aren't just stack-and-burn affairs or have mechanics that can be ignored if group DPS is high enough. But none of that "random one-shot" bullshit from Maelstrom or Veteran Sanctum Ophidia. Give us mechanics like the ones found in Maw of Lorkhaj, but scaled down so that a group of four can manage it.

We didn't do Veteran Imperial City Prison last week, so hopefully I can get some good tank PoV when it comes up in the rotation again (or sooner if my glasses are ready by this weekend).

Whats the race breakdown for pve tanking with DK, does it matter? The videos are pretty cool even though I am not sure what I am looking at other than a bucket of night blades apparently, which is neat since thats what I rolled.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Am I going to get enough skill points to unlock everything? I assume that's the case, but I'd rather know half an hour in than a hundred hours in if I'm screwing myself over.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

Am I going to get enough skill points to unlock everything? I assume that's the case, but I'd rather know half an hour in than a hundred hours in if I'm screwing myself over.
If you don't try crafting everything on a single character you will have plenty of skill points with which to max out all your class skill lines, a few weapon skill lines, at least one armor skill line and Guild/World skill lines while still having spare points with which to try things out.
Also respeccing in this game can be done at any time at a shrine in your faction capital and is pretty inexpensive.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 18, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

If I don't mind respeccing from time to time, it's alright to want to craft everything then, right? :v:

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
What's the "best" weapon types and skills to use for leveling a stamina night blade (i'm not married to stamina, I could do magicka too I guess)? I've been using dual wield...but I was thinking about how good bows or 2h are too.

Should I be using leather armor? Right now I think I have 3-4 pieces of heavy since quest rewards have given me that. Granted I'm only level 9.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

If I don't mind respeccing from time to time, it's alright to want to craft everything then, right? :v:
Absolutely!
The only things required to craft are materials (where an ESO Plus subscription is an absolute godsend) and having points in the respective skill passive ability for stuff above level 10 (or 12?)
The skill level (from 1 to 50) is kept and can be increased without investing skill points, though crafting level 10 stuff to increase your skill at higher levels will take forever and in the case of armor/weapons the passives that allow you to research multiple traits at once feel mandatory.

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

I'm pretty excited about this influx of new people, I guess that e3 presentation did its job.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Neato posted:

I'm pretty excited about this influx of new people, I guess that e3 presentation did its job.

Yeah there have been a TON of new goons in the past week or so. I don't know who everyone is anymore haha.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yes. On my first character who has four crafting lines, all weapons and class lines maxed and is a max WW I would occasionally respec out of crafting to level a skill line. I also did all the quests on him though.

floydpepper
Nov 7, 2004

"It Don't Make You A Bad Person"
The Mrs. bought this for me for the PS4. I did a quick search online for new player guides, but most of them didn't seem to help much.

I am only going to play casually so I want to gain as much as I can while playing.
Any tips?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Go to starter island, find ? marks, pick up quests and kill poo poo. Find some skyshards and/or craft stuff. Move to next zone and repeat. I play casually and you don't really need a guide unless you're for some reason trying to do killer endgame build or something

floydpepper
Nov 7, 2004

"It Don't Make You A Bad Person"
Definitely not trying to get a killer end game build. One thing I read was to have skills on your bar and they raise even without using them. Never would have figured that out.

I've been having fun just walking around killing things and finding chests.

Bag space is so limited, when do you really start making gold? 10k for a horse seems impossible right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

floydpepper posted:

Definitely not trying to get a killer end game build. One thing I read was to have skills on your bar and they raise even without using them. Never would have figured that out.

I've been having fun just walking around killing things and finding chests.

Bag space is so limited, when do you really start making gold? 10k for a horse seems impossible right now.

Dunno how much this helps, but soon enough you'll be making 10k off of the junk you picked up during a dungeon run. Doesn't help at this very moment but at least gives some perspective I guess.

• Locked thread