Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

Britain would be able to trade with EU-member the same as the US is doing right now, but the products would still have to be in line with EU regulations, which Britain would no longer be able to influence. More importantly though the ability to export services would be severely limited.

Are all the London financial people flipping out over this yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I think this is a matter of cultural expectations. If you're (stereotypically) German, a persistent deviation from the rules for a special case may seem sacrilegious. But if you take a more pragmatic and transactional view of EU politics, recognizing that the single biggest item on the EU budget is of comparatively little direct benefit to the UK and that consequently the UK should not be expected to subsidize everybody else's agricultural sector on an ongoing basis may seem entirely sensible.
Does the UK get less direct benefit from agricultural subsidies than Germany and Belgium, who have equally small agricultural sectors?

Libluini posted:

I don't know, this has never happened before after all. At the very least be prepared for several months of massive confusion at the borders if the worst-case scenario happens.

GaussianCopula posted:

Britain would be able to trade with EU-member the same as the US is doing right now, but the products would still have to be in line with EU regulations, which Britain would no longer be able to influence. More importantly though the ability to export services would be severely limited.
Look, I just want you to confirm that Brexit will cause a bunch of Danish pig farmers to go under, so they can stop making GBS threads up our water supply.

mobby_6kl posted:

Are all the London financial people flipping out over this yet?
I can't imagine they haven't been making plans for escaping the UK as corporate economic refugees for years now. From what I can tell, the ones with the most to lose (big international banks) have sensibly decided that publicly throwing in with the remain campaign might actually undermine it because no one likes bankers.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Hello

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Does the UK get less direct benefit from agricultural subsidies than Germany and Belgium, who have equally small agricultural sectors?

Finding clear indicators about the size of the agricultural sector is a royal bitch ( do you look at share of GDP, number of farms, size of farms, productivity of farms, number of employees, does that include seasonal workers, and so on), but as a quick and dirty one, Germany has more than twice the amount of cultivated land as the UK does. So yes, the UK has traditionally benefitted less from the CAP. Belgium of course is the seat of many EU institutions which is of sizable economic benefit, so I don't think you'll find too many inhabitants of that beautiful city who complain about how much you're paying into the EU.

e - also that's horrible.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

False flag.

(But seriously, hope she pulls through.)

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Finding clear indicators about the size of the agricultural sector is a royal bitch ( do you look at share of GDP, number of farms, size of farms, productivity of farms, number of employees, does that include seasonal workers, and so on), but as a quick and dirty one, Germany has more than twice the amount of cultivated land as the UK does. So yes, the UK has traditionally benefitted less from the CAP. Belgium of course is the seat of many EU institutions which is of sizable economic benefit, so I don't think you'll find too many inhabitants of that beautiful city who complain about how much you're paying into the EU.
Well, if you go by absolute numbers on that page, the UK has the seventh largest agricultural sector in the EU. But yeah, I was going by share of GDP. I'm not sure exactly how precisely CAP is handed out though, which would probably be the most relevant factor in this discussion. I can totally understand why Brits wouldn't be super in favor of it though, not a huge fan myself either.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

According to that thing, if you look at "operating budgetary balance", it's France which is in second place after Germany. UK is third, followed closely by the Netherlands and Italy.

For "revenue", if you look at "total national contribution", then it's Germany, France, Italy, UK, Spain, Netherlands.

OBB is IMO not the best indicator in this case, since it omits traditional own revenue, which the UK passes on 2.7B€, second only to Germany's 3.3B€. It also tries to pretend that administrative spending doesn't benefit the country in which the administrations are based :
ec.europa.eu/budget/financialreport/2014/annex/3/index_en.html

If you take the excel file of the budgets 2000-2014 and compare total expenditure to total revenue from Belgium, you get a "gain" of 1.8B€. But the OBB shows a "loss" of 1.5B€... for the UK it goes the other way, with an OBB of 4.9B€ but a difference between expenditure and revenue of 7. 1B€.

With the rebate, the UK is the 3rd largest net contributor (7. 1B€) to the budget behind Germany (17. 3B€) and France (7.5B€). Without the rebate the UK would still be behind Germany, but far ahead of France, with a net spend of 13.2B€.

Also, it's worth reminding people that the UK had already accepted to reduce the rebate in exchange for a promise to review the CAP, but the review ended never happening, so the UK is hardly the only one at fault in this case.

Lublini should try to understand that the rebate affects resources not expenditure thought if he wants to talk about how unfair it is, otherwise he risks undermining his argument.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
You prolly all already know but Jo Cox is dead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She leaves behind her husband and two young children. This is awful.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I really hope that the world takes Brexit as a warning sign that all our populations are getting more and more retarded and self-destructive. Personally, I blame YouTube lets plays, the decline of personal human interaction, internet echo chambers and chemicals in the drinking water. Someone should do something about these things. Also, reptiloids.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

I really hope that the world takes Brexit as a warning sign that all our populations are getting more and more retarded and self-destructive. Personally, I blame YouTube lets plays, the decline of personal human interaction, internet echo chambers and chemicals in the drinking water. Someone should do something about these things. Also, reptiloids.

I'm cutting myself on all these edges.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Personally I think this is all the fault of the Flemish.

gently caress those guys.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
They are almost all wretched and horrible, the Flemish. Few exceptions. But hell, that goes for the Dutch, as well.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I'm cutting myself on all these edges.

It's true, think about it. YouTube lets plays are part of our growing culture of isolation and loneliness. The number of people with depression and burn-outs is on the rise, people feel frustrated and lost. They look for human contact on the internet where they meet likeminded people who share their opinions and personality and create echo chamber. Disassociating from reality and sane political beliefs.

Also, the alarmingly high content of xeno-estrogens in the drinking water creates effeminate men who are confused about their role in society even more and who will be too weak and girly to fight the coming reptiloid invasion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

They are almost all wretched and horrible, the Flemish. Few exceptions. But hell, that goes for the Dutch, as well.

*nods affirmatively*

What's your take on the walloon menace?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

*nods affirmatively*

What's your take on the walloon menace?

we must support them tactically because only they can effectievly combat the flemish hegemony and keep balance.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

waitwhatno posted:

It's true, think about it. YouTube lets plays are part of our growing culture of isolation and loneliness. The number of people with depression and burn-outs is on the rise, people feel frustrated and lost. They look for human contact on the internet where they meet likeminded people who share their opinions and personality and create echo chamber. Disassociating from reality and sane political beliefs.

Also, the alarmingly high content of xeno-estrogens in the drinking water creates effeminate men who are confused about their role in society even more and who will be too weak and girly to fight the coming reptiloid invasion.

I dunno what if the xeno-estrogens are making me Rebel against my perceived role has a male in society? Stiking it to the Man is very manly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

we must support them tactically because only they can effectievly combat the flemish hegemony and keep balance.

I think this is the beginning of a bountiful alliance.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

OK I guess you won me over.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Declare war on Russia to stop the Brexit

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm trying to make a link between modern Leave voters unwillingness to take part in Europe and general fear of Johnny Belgian telling them what to do and Our Brave Tommies going to war to save Poland from Old Hitler but nothing's coming to me.

There's something there though I'm telling you. Maybe toss in something about Brexit voters preferring to murder defenceless politicians to boot.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope they go.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would be fun to see what happens in a Brexit situation. Vote leave for our entertainment Britgoons.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Baudolino posted:

Would be fun to see what happens in a Brexit situation. Vote leave for our entertainment Britgoons.

Ah Jeez, I prefer when 'vote for most entertaining/ultimately disastrous' stays on the other side of the Atlantic.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baudolino posted:

khwarezm posted:

Ah Jeez, I prefer when 'vote for most entertaining/ultimately disastrous' stays on the other side of the Atlantic.

Vice actually suggested we should vote to Leave because playing a Renegade in Mass Effect is more fun

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry don't have time to read 60 pages but I wanted to ask a question:

Why has European leadership been so terrible since 2008?

Thanks.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
After the UK leaves it will be easier for Scotland to join so it's not all bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really won't.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Thanks.

In 2008 Spain won the EC with a team that brutally raped and pillaged decades of Dutch football tradition, subverting it into the bore fest they call tiki taka. This style was only playable because they, and every Spanish athlete since, were completely spaced out on blood doping. Europe as a whole has never really recovered.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Arglebargle III posted:

Thanks.

The neolib dream turned out to be a nightmare and nobody can wake up

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Arglebargle III posted:

Thanks.

It turns out that it's much harder to play EUMMXVIII without the unlimited money cheat activated.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Thanks.

European leadership has always been terrible, but as long as the economy was doing fine, nobody cared too much or even noticed. Also, European leadership only really got bad since 2009 (the initial response to the GFC agreed at EU level was a mild Keynesian expansion of gov't spending, but then Greece happened and the deficit hawks took over. QED in GC's post above.).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The problem are the Germans, as always. Germany is the only major country in the EU that is doing fine and sees no reason for a course change. They are very dominant in EU politics but also very self absorbed and not really interested in the economic wellbeing of other EU members. And Brexit is only going to make German dominance stronger.

It's basically like if Utah was dominating federal US politics and forcing their economic policies on all other states, no matter what.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/18/belgian-police-arrest-12-on-suspicion-of-terror-plots

The Flemish public broadcaster VTM said those arrested overnight were suspected of planning an attack in Brussels during one of Belgium’s Euro matches this weekend.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

waitwhatno posted:

The problem are the Germans, as always. Germany is the only major country in the EU that is doing fine and sees no reason for a course change. They are very dominant in EU politics but also very self absorbed and not really interested in the economic wellbeing of other EU members. And Brexit is only going to make German dominance stronger.

It's basically like if Utah was dominating federal US politics and forcing their economic policies on all other states, no matter what.

And of course that self-absorption isn't uniquely German, it's just more visible with Germany because they call the rules everyone else has to dance by. But Hungary, Austria, Poland, Britain, hell even France, also display that kind of behaviour.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
France needs to get its poo poo together, they were supposed to be the political motor, not the Germans.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Riso posted:

France needs to get its poo poo together, they were supposed to be the political motor, not the Germans.
Another thing the Brits and the Russians ruined.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Jippa posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/18/belgian-police-arrest-12-on-suspicion-of-terror-plots

The Flemish public broadcaster VTM said those arrested overnight were suspected of planning an attack in Brussels during one of Belgium’s Euro matches this weekend.

VTM is commercial, not public.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Will we have a referendum thread the night of said event? I'm betting on a Brexit - my inner Sanders would love to see such ensuing chaos. :getin:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Will we have a referendum thread the night of said event? I'm betting on a Brexit - my inner Sanders would love to see such ensuing chaos. :getin:
A separate Brexit thread would be clear evidence that Britain just can't be part of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A separate Brexit thread would be clear evidence that Britain just can't be part of Europe.

We already have a Brexit thread, it's called UKMT.