Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
pffhhsst everyone knows satan is without honour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Met posted:

I can't find any information that says the new TV series will take place in the JJTrek universe. In fact, several sources say it will be completely unrelated to the latest movie at least.

I sort of want it to happen during the WOK-STVI timeline as the uniforms are cool and the ships look awesome.

Enterprise A is best Enterprise!

Blistex fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 18, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Blistex posted:

I sort of want it to happen during the WOK-STVI timeline as the uniforms are cool and the ships look awesome.

Enterprise A is best Enterprise!

There is no way that this will happen in 2016 I don't think unless they really just want to pander to nerds (of which I include myself)

no, no...they'll try to make it hip and cool and all that for a broader market appeal or whatever dumb marketing logic applies

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
insurrection:

"My chief engineer literally re-grew his optic nerves and eyeballs, why can't the Son'a just park in orbit (let alone maybe settle on the whole other side of the planet (what the hell stopped them from doing this decades ago???)) and reap the benefits of this space magic?"
"uhhhhh because reasons. shut up, go gently caress kiss hold hands with your 300+ y.o. girlfriend"

"geordi, we need more impulse speeds!"
"but dude we'll totally blow the intake manifolds (??????????)"
"just do it!!"
*nothing bad happens, the "intake manifolds" are never mentioned again*

"sir, two Son'a starships are attacking us. shall we engage them with our high-energy particle beams and antimatter-warhead missiles?"
"nah, that's boring/too expensive/too similar to Wrath of Khan. let's just lay a big space fart and detonate it in their faces."

"hey, salieri, since we're already planning on destroying a federation starship to eliminate the witnesses, do we really need to bother with hunting them down on the planet?"
"yes. please continue to waste time and resources on this endeavor so i can gloat over them, despite the fact that i was previously pushing to totally disregard their lives and just let them burn to death on the planet following our super-technobullshit plan."

"yo admiral isn't it kind of a colossal waste to do a one-time finite extraction of the magical fountain-of-youth particles when we ought to be building orbital resorts that can be used indefinitely? especially when doing it that way would negate any need to work with these loving assholes or interfere with the hippie white people commune on the surface?"
"uhhhhhhhhhhhh"

why are all the baku so incredibly white

why is it so hard for the son'a to loving find and deal with a few thousand people on foot? send some shuttles down and hose them down with phasers on stun, or knockout gas, or even holy poo poo just land like a few dozen dudes who can overwhelm a few starfleet dudes and dudettes?

why is michael piller writing this folksy "well gee when you build machines to do work you diminish yourself in the process" bullshit in a loving STAR TREK

why is piller writing in a small child for Data to intimidate??

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
The best part about the Baku were that they fixed Data or something, so they had technology they were just huge self righteous hypocrites about when to actually use it.

Also Picard's boner was revived by the planet, so it could be the new Risa. The Sona really missed out on a nice business opportunity.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tom Paris is going to be at a con I'm going to tomorrow and he wants $55 for autographs

like, dude

you weren't even on one of the good shows

The correct answer is to get him to sign a copy of Masters of the Universe.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

insurrection:

"My chief engineer literally re-grew his optic nerves and eyeballs, why can't the Son'a just park in orbit (let alone maybe settle on the whole other side of the planet (what the hell stopped them from doing this decades ago???)) and reap the benefits of this space magic?"
"uhhhhh because reasons. shut up, go gently caress kiss hold hands with your 300+ y.o. girlfriend"

"geordi, we need more impulse speeds!"
"but dude we'll totally blow the intake manifolds (??????????)"
"just do it!!"
*nothing bad happens, the "intake manifolds" are never mentioned again*

"sir, two Son'a starships are attacking us. shall we engage them with our high-energy particle beams and antimatter-warhead missiles?"
"nah, that's boring/too expensive/too similar to Wrath of Khan. let's just lay a big space fart and detonate it in their faces."

"hey, salieri, since we're already planning on destroying a federation starship to eliminate the witnesses, do we really need to bother with hunting them down on the planet?"
"yes. please continue to waste time and resources on this endeavor so i can gloat over them, despite the fact that i was previously pushing to totally disregard their lives and just let them burn to death on the planet following our super-technobullshit plan."

"yo admiral isn't it kind of a colossal waste to do a one-time finite extraction of the magical fountain-of-youth particles when we ought to be building orbital resorts that can be used indefinitely? especially when doing it that way would negate any need to work with these loving assholes or interfere with the hippie white people commune on the surface?"
"uhhhhhhhhhhhh"

why are all the baku so incredibly white

why is it so hard for the son'a to loving find and deal with a few thousand people on foot? send some shuttles down and hose them down with phasers on stun, or knockout gas, or even holy poo poo just land like a few dozen dudes who can overwhelm a few starfleet dudes and dudettes?

why is michael piller writing this folksy "well gee when you build machines to do work you diminish yourself in the process" bullshit in a loving STAR TREK

why is piller writing in a small child for Data to intimidate??

I'll remind you all that Piller was behind most of the magical Indian bs with Chakotay.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Akoocheemoya.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Crowsbeak posted:

I'll remind you all that Piller was behind most of the magical Indian bs with Chakotay.

i thought that was because they hired a charlatan as their advisor on native american stuff

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

i thought that was because they hired a charlatan as their advisor on native american stuff

Well that as well. But Piller bought it hook line and sinker. Being that he really liked hippy dippy bullshit.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

yeah and as far as I can tell "akoocheemoya" is some gibberish he made up for the show

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BattleMaster posted:

yeah and as far as I can tell "akoocheemoya" is some gibberish he made up for the show

It means "On day I'm going to make you a bathtub and you better put out"

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Wasn't that spirit guide episode the one where they revealed they actually do have cameras all over the ship, so that they could look at Chakotays spirit diorama or whatever?

A completely useful thing that would have solved maybe half of all problems that was never mentioned before or since.

"Captain, Commander Riker Isn't answering his Comms"
"Well take a 5-10 minute trip over there and knock on his door"
"SECURITY TO COMMANDER RIKERS QUARTERS, SOME SHITS IN RIKERS QUARTERS"
"Sure give us like 5 minutes"

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

also worf has a purple space bazooka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlV3bsafkq0

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Looks like the set photo leaks have begun. Here, have a pic currently circulating around Toronto film industry people.

Its pretty JJ Trek-y.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

please don't jape this is a serious forum

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I'm always amused when they have Beltran say Rubber Tree People.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

That was a stupid episode, ancient Bajoran's could surf to Cardassia with solar winds.
Might as well say we can reach Vulcan from Starfleet HQ with a loving ladder.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Never understood the end. Why would Gul Dukat celebrate any Bajoran achievement. A competent Cardassian officer would taken the opportunity to make Sisko disappear.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Automatic Slim posted:

Never understood the end. Why would Gul Dukat celebrate any Bajoran achievement. A competent Cardassian officer would taken the opportunity to make Sisko disappear.

And surely Cardassia would have destroyed the ruins or evidence they 'just discovered' of their slave race for the last century was actually superior then they were at one time.
They would have went Taliban/ISIS on it, and wiped it from history instantly.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

happyhippy posted:

And surely Cardassia would have destroyed the ruins or evidence they 'just discovered' of their slave race for the last century was actually superior then they were at one time.
They would have went Taliban/ISIS on it, and wiped it from history instantly.
Meanwhile the returned space prophet would've been stranded and shoved Bajor back to a second dark age.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm watching the DS9 episodes where Sisko, Dax and Bashir get beamed back to the 21st century for the riots or whatever.

I remember thinking the first time I saw this "LOL, there's no way any of this would happen by 2024, things are going so great!"

Now I'm like "Unemployment ghettos and labor riots is a really optimistic portrayal of the US in eight years."

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like how several seasons later Nog was reading about earth history and goes, wow this Bell guy looks just like Sisko!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm watching the DS9 episodes where Sisko, Dax and Bashir get beamed back to the 21st century for the riots or whatever.

I remember thinking the first time I saw this "LOL, there's no way any of this would happen by 2024, things are going so great!"

Now I'm like "Unemployment ghettos and labor riots is a really optimistic portrayal of the US in eight years."

I know there are talk radio types that actually advocate something like the Sanctuary districts.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

we havent even encountered the clone wars yet...

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I like how several seasons later Nog was reading about earth history and goes, wow this Bell guy looks just like Sisko!

DS9 is good with the self referential poo poo. Like when Worf catches that burglar he's stolen the tooth sharpener Worf bought at Nog's Bargain Mitzvah.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

Because just like how Dax is a weeaboo for Klingon everything, Dukat is for Bajoran. They make him have some pretty obvious wrinkle-nose fever.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

The Sphinxster posted:

DS9 is good with the self referential poo poo. Like when Worf catches that burglar he's stolen the tooth sharpener Worf bought at Nog's Bargain Mitzvah.

It's like they knew someone was gonna make memory alpha down the road

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ok the episode where Tuvok is stranded on that moon with the children-that-are-actually-old-and-there-to-die is kinda cute

That episode is immediately followed by the one where they find people trapped in a simulation by a clown who is the personification of their fear or whatever and he turns Kim into an old man and then a baby and then scares the crap out of him with like traumatic childhood experiences

Pretty good

Then it's followed by the Tuvix episode

I think this is the best streak Voyager has achieved yet; I have actually been entertained for 3 episodes straight

naem
May 29, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

:(

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hector Beerlioz posted:

And Quark's response is a dismissive "all humans look the same" quip, lol

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Crowsbeak posted:

I know there are talk radio types that actually advocate something like the Sanctuary districts.

Libertarians advocate their special retard communes where the market decides everything, which would actually turn out like sanctuary districts. People with fedoras beating other people to death for their bread cards.

Not to be confused with conservatives that think that if people aren't doing well that it's because they just don't want it hard enough

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Crowsbeak posted:

Someone proposed a similar thing for LA just months after that episode aired IIRC

Walter Koenig was nice, but he seemed sad. I wonder if it has more to do with his dead son or the prospect of signing 8x10s for sweaty nerds for the rest of his years.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Good thing Rom never introduced Sisko to his other son, Nig

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Come on dude

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

oldpainless posted:

shut the gently caress up

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Nog just trying to get a handbeezy

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
enterprise season 3 is actually much better since they moved away from the "waaahhhh we are humans and super moral and be our friends" garbage

tho it took way too long to blow up duras' ship....... "we'll just disable them and try to flee" ugggghhhhhhh

grow some balls archy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Walter Koenig was nice, but he seemed sad. I wonder if it has more to do with his dead son or the prospect of signing 8x10s for sweaty nerds for the rest of his years.

Of the whole TOS crew, I like Walter the best.
I wonder if he liked Babyon 5 or TOS the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tim Russ pops up as a Vulcan in the second mirror universe episode of DS9, so I went to see if they actually intended for that to be Tuvok and...

quote:

Tuvok was played by actor Tim Russ. Russ also played the mirror universe Tuvok in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Through the Looking Glass", as well as several other roles in Star Trek. Russ recalled, "Most of my friends told me I didn't have to stretch very much because I'm like that character in real life." Garrett Wang remembered that when he first met Russ, he joked that Tuvok was one letter away from resembling the name Tupac, to which he responded, "Rap music is the reason for the fall of Western civilization."

I'm not sure what's funnier... Tim Russ being an emotionless sperg or Garrett Wang trying to connect with him over rap.