Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anitsirK
May 19, 2005

What would you do with money intended for use for purchase of a car somewhere between 1.5 and god knows how many years from now? Imagine you're starting with ~$15k and will be contributing about $600/month. The wishy washy timeframe is also why I almost posted this in BWM - the money is intended for the purchase a Tesla Model 3. TFSA for sure, but what within that? I know enough to look for something boring given the (relatively) short timeline, but would welcome suggestions. Something available through RBC DI would be super convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

anitsirK posted:

What would you do with money intended for use for purchase of a car somewhere between 1.5 and god knows how many years from now? Imagine you're starting with ~$15k and will be contributing about $600/month. The wishy washy timeframe is also why I almost posted this in BWM - the money is intended for the purchase a Tesla Model 3. TFSA for sure, but what within that? I know enough to look for something boring given the (relatively) short timeline, but would welcome suggestions. Something available through RBC DI would be super convenient.

For something like this you're going to be more interested in protecting your principal than in making huge gains. I'd look at an investment grade low duration bond fund or a GIC with a term that matches your timeframe.

If you don't know what I mean by low duration:
Duration is a measure of interest rate sensitivity. It's broadly related to the average maturity of bonds in a fund but essentially means that for every unit of duration, the value of the fund will increase or decrease with a change in the interest rate. Thus, if you have a duration of 10, the value of the bond / fund can be expected to decrease by 10% if the interest rate increases by 1%. a fund that invests primarily in short dated corporate paper (90-360 day maturity) would have a low duration, generally. You want a low duration because otherwise you could risk a significant loss if the interest rate were to spike and you / the fund didn't hold the underlying bonds to maturity.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/2014/06/04/best-etfs-short-term-bond-funds/#1882f39e573b

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Golluk posted:

Can you set your PC account up as a bill payment in your Scotia account? That's how I move cash from my PC checking account to my TD Waterhouse TFSA. Takes 1-3 days, but I've moved 10K no problem.

I already have it with my TFSA and my PC account, but I'll have to look into that for chequing-to-chequing transfers in the future. Thanks!

In the meantime, update! I dug deep in my room and found the remaining initial blank counter cheques I got when I first opened the account 12 years ago. I wrote a cheque for $30k, cashed it that same day via my phone. I got a call from Scotia two days later, asking if I indeed wrote the cheque.

Good to know they actually followed up on that.

I became a new signing authority (one of three) at a not-for-profit institution last year, along with a new president for 2015. After registering ourselves at TD, we found out that the president that took over in the year before that (ie. for 2014) wasn't officially registered and had no actual authority.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

anitsirK posted:

Don't buy a Tesla as there are still some questions on how the battery does in cold weather long term unless it's going to be in storage for the winter.

Also TD rolled a speading tracking thing as part of there app today.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
TD myspend was available to the public since early April :ssh:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

jm20 posted:

TD myspend was available to the public since early April :ssh:

I never noticed it before.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

Don't buy a Tesla as there are still some questions on how the battery does in cold weather long term unless it's going to be in storage for the winter.

If you stick AAs in the fridge overnight they hold their charge a bit longer, I assume a car battery is exactly the same, it'll be fine.

Seriously though that sucks I also want to get a Tesla 3 when the dollar de-shits itself

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HookShot posted:

If you stick AAs in the fridge overnight they hold their charge a bit longer, I assume a car battery is exactly the same, it'll be fine.

Seriously though that sucks I also want to get a Tesla 3 when the dollar de-shits itself

I honestly want a Tesla 3 too, but it's a real worry as not a ton of long term testing has been done.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Also TD rolled a speading tracking thing as part of there app today.

Performance is compromised when the battery is cold, although the Teslas use a heather to heat it up so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. In the long term, cold is actually good for it, as heat makes everything related to lithium-ion battery aging so much worse.

The Teslas use a battery chemistry that ages much slower than the chemistry used in the cells in the Leaf and other electric cars though.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012
So I'm getting into investing right now and I'm currently with Scotiabank using Questrade as my broker. I'm planning to do investing in USD but I'm concerned about the massive exchange rates I will have to pay to convert CAD to USD and buy US stocks. I want to minimize this as much as possible. Anyone know what bank or strategy I can use to minimize CAD/USD exchange?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Norbert's gambit. At best you're still gonna end up paying the market exchange rate.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012

Vatek posted:

Norbert's gambit. At best you're still gonna end up paying the market exchange rate.

Ever had Questrade refuse to journal?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Applesmack posted:

Ever had Questrade refuse to journal?

No, they'll do it no problem.

You can even use DLR.TO (Horizons US Dollar Currency ETF) and take no market equity risk as well as not pay for the buy since it's an ETF.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

No, they'll do it no problem.

You can even use DLR.TO (Horizons US Dollar Currency ETF) and take no market equity risk as well as not pay for the buy since it's an ETF.

Great, thanks!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anyone have any thoughts on replacing separate US and international equity funds with combined ones? I'm thinking of replacing VTI/VXUS with VT (or VXC if held in CAD). My rationale is purely for simplicity's sake.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I keep having orders fail on Questrade, and I can't figure out why. In the details, there are no specifics on why the order didn't go through. I can't find anything in their FAQs, and calling in took forever and ultimately I got hung up on once and never got a call back from the one person I did get.
These are market orders, so no limit or anything should be affecting them.
Any thoughts?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

mr.belowaverage posted:

I keep having orders fail on Questrade, and I can't figure out why. In the details, there are no specifics on why the order didn't go through. I can't find anything in their FAQs, and calling in took forever and ultimately I got hung up on once and never got a call back from the one person I did get.
These are market orders, so no limit or anything should be affecting them.
Any thoughts?

You're placing these orders when the market is open?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

You're placing these orders when the market is open?

Even with markets closed, a market order would still go in as soon as the market opens... (Likely with catastrophic results, hope you're not doing that!)

From my experience so far, chat has been the best way to get in touch with Questrade reps. Don't bother leaving an e-mail message if chat isn't available for some reason (that took five days). Maybe check /r/Questrade too, they have some staff watching reddit and are pretty much on the ball on anything that might make them look bad.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Just a note if you have a Tangerine Credit card, you might want to double check your purchase history. Just got off the phone with Tangerine, someone was using a clone of my card and attempted to make a few thousand in purchases. Thankfully only one went through, for 6 bucks, which they are crediting me for.

I mention this because she said she's been going through allot of these this morning. Not sure how they got it, I haven't used this one online.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
If you used your card to pay for taxis in Toronto they're notorious for spoofing numbers. I've had my card lifted probably half a dozen times in taxis there.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So the lovely Canadian Forces gave me my stupid loving pension money that I paid in back as a locked in rrsp. Is there any way I can use the stupid piece of poo poo awful locked in rrsp for the first time home buyers plan?

In short gently caress locked in rrsps

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

So the lovely Canadian Forces gave me my stupid loving pension money that I paid in back as a locked in rrsp. Is there any way I can use the stupid piece of poo poo awful locked in rrsp for the first time home buyers plan?

No, but you might be able to transfer some of it to a regular RRSP as I understand it.

E: depends on your province: http://www.taxtips.ca/pensions/rpp/unlockingrpp.htm

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

No, but you might be able to transfer some of it to a regular RRSP as I understand it.

There's only 8k in the locked in RRSP, so the fact that I cannot touch this until I am 65 really chaps my rear end.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's only 8k in the locked in RRSP, so the fact that I cannot touch this until I am 65 really chaps my rear end.

What province are you in?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

What province are you in?

NL but the RRSP is federal

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

It's retirement money, that's kind of the point?

The only substantive difference is that it has to be kept separate from your other accounts and you can't pull the funds out even at a penalty unlike a normal rrsp. Just stick it in an etf or whatever is allowed by your province and forget about it for 30 or 40 years or whatever.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's retirement money, that's kind of the point?

Yea but what chaps my rear end is that it was my money that I paid in and now I have no control over it because some dingus put it into a locked in plan.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Its only locked for a year. The pension centre may or may not have told you that.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sbaldrick posted:

Its only locked for a year. The pension centre may or may not have told you that.

No, it's locked in until I'm 65. I was just hoping you could because on CRA's website it says normally locked in rsps can't be used so I was hoping someone here knew of the situation where it could be used.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 19, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Is the 8k going to change your life in a meaningful way at the present? I ask because after 30 years the value triples and some. If you somehow managed to use it for the homebuyers plan you'd still have to repay it on a 15 year timeline.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jm20 posted:

Is the 8k going to change your life in a meaningful way at the present? I ask because after 30 years the value triples and some. If you somehow managed to use it for the homebuyers plan you'd still have to repay it on a 15 year timeline.

A close family friend offered me a building lot for a 1/3rd of the value before he puts it on the market. And I'm not going to be 65 for another 39 years there's still plenty of time to save for the three months I live after I hit 65.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 19, 2016

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Most people today can expect to live 20-30 years after 65. See if you can get a loan for what you need.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

No, it's locked in until I'm 65. I was just hoping you could because on CRA's website it says normally locked in rsps can't be used so I was hoping someone here knew of the situation where it could be used.

Is this the locked in value or the transfer out value.

The locked in has to go into a RSP for one year when it becomes an RRSP, the transfer out you can do what you want with but if its in an RRSP you can pull of unemployed with tax penalties.

I just dealt with it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure, all I know is that I've had this money for about 5 years and it's still a locked-in rsp.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I'm not sure, all I know is that I've had this money for about 5 years and it's still a locked-in rsp.

Where did you leave the forces as your bank may have set it up that way.

Banks in Ottawa are very knowledgeable about it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sbaldrick posted:

Where did you leave the forces as your bank may have set it up that way.

Banks in Ottawa are very knowledgeable about it.

I was in Manitoba when my contract ended.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

I was in Manitoba when my contract ended.

Do you have any non-locked-in retirement savings you can draw from instead?

If the answer is no, then it's good that you can't touch this money. It might pay for your dog food (that you will be eating) when you're 65.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Do you have any non-locked-in retirement savings you can draw from instead?

If the answer is no, then it's good that you can't touch this money. It might pay for your dog food (that you will be eating) when you're 65.

I do but I'm saving that for when I retire. I figured one 8-9k rrsp that I can't touch until I'm 65 wouldn't really matter. But thanks for being a douchebag, it really adds a lot!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I do but I'm saving that for when I retire. I figured one 8-9k rrsp that I can't touch until I'm 65 wouldn't really matter. But thanks for being a douchebag, it really adds a lot!

At 4% that's about $35K when you retire, or a year of retirement on the average Canadian retiree's budget. FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

You shouldn't really be surprised that espousing quintessential financially-inept-Canadian ramblings in a finance nerd thread doesn't get much traction.