Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I just remembered I could give offices to my generals in my VH Empire campaign. On turn 162...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

Is there any lore I can read about the dwarf hold up north in the Chaos wastes? That seems like a bad neighbourhood to set up shop in

The dwarf kingdoms predate chaos in the world. Also in the distant past chaos was pretty stupid about trying to conquer the world and the elder races were a lot stronger so it was possible to hold far northern territory.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Two recent attempts at VC, one had chaos run buck wild across way too broad a territory where even walls didn't help, so restarted, took it slower and tried to get the dwafs out of the game as well as focus chaos, chaos died, but dwarfs kept confederating to stay in the game.

Didn't see the empire for a looong time, but just found them :stare:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mans posted:

I'm currently 150 turns into an Orc campaign and i've got to ask, is this goon consensus?

I've let the dwarves keep some of their settlements, specially the big fortresses because sacking them gives you a garanteed 30k every 5 turns. I'm not sure how you can finance a proper orc army without constant sacking the stunties. the crappy 300+ gold treasure box economy item is terrible.

Do a prospect of Dwarven territory and see where they stash all their econ buildings and never actually conquer, just perma sack them for eternal gold and Lord XP

A few pages back: but no. I ignored the Barak Varr and Karak Kadrin, the dwarves to your North West and North respectively, in my early game instead focusing on Karak Azul, the Dwarves to your East and the neighboring Orc factions. Thorgrim would sack a few settlements occasionally, but overall wasn't much of a threat. I refused to respond to his raiding because I felt that if I did any progress I made elsewhere could be rolled back up by the factions I was attacking so I kept the pressure on them. I was prepared to head back if he sieged something important like Black Crag, but he never took the opportunity. Eventually I was able to catch Thorgrim out around turn 40 trying to raid and after that he was finished. He never raised another appreciable force.

Once I had three stacks I sent my third stack and took all his poo poo while I continued to pacify the Savage Orcs and any remaining orc tribes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

How is this many stacks even possible in a vanilla game without just going bankrupt?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ice Fist posted:

How is this many stacks even possible in a vanilla game without just going bankrupt?

For you, it's not. For the AI, $$$ bonuses and upkeep bonuses.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 18, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So I finally tried all 5 playable races, here's my take on them:

Dwarves- By far my favorite race to play, and the easiest. I feel like they are very newbie friendly because they are so defensive you can pretty much set up your army's formation and more or less just sit there and watch the enemy wreck themselves against your lines. Really solid defensively, though I'd say the abundance of good morale, armored and shielded units can get you complacent when using less hardy factions later on. Lots of fun spamming ranged units and artillery. Higher tier units seem actually much more tricky to use effectively, but fortunately for a newbie most aren't absolutely essential either; they seem to be able to go a lot farther with tier 1/2 units than other factions because of the reliability. Not to mention a solid economy to fund everything. The only annoyance really is grudges; while with other factions you'll simply get missions (with generally little to no downside in failing) with Dwarves you get some really big penalties if you're unlucky enough to get assassinated by a powerful faction that later isn't at war with you.

Empire- I found it more challenging having to band together all the other human factions, and not being quite as tough as Dwarves require more attention. Using cavalry well requires micromanagement but at least unlike dwarves you have some units with the speed to chase down fleeing enemies, and still have decent ranged and artillery assets to have a standoff force. Also unlike Dwarves I found their higher tier units very easy to use; Steam Tanks can literally be placed in one spot and forgotten completely and end up completely undented at the end of the battle with 150 kills each :stare: Demigryphs are also incredibly strong as many people have mentioned. Having a hero on a flying mount that unloads massive melee damage is also great and Franz will bust a lot of heads in your campaign in my opinion.

Vampire Counts- The lack of ranged units is a big change, but making up for it with flying units and just a lot of quick guys helps a great deal. I think the undead's morale mechanic makes it easy to neglect Leadership but if anything I think its far more critical. Lots of fun big monsters to play with but I think at this point you really gotta pay attention to what units can and cannot do. I think you're more relying on being able to 'spook' your enemies so harder difficulty settings have a bigger impact in that regard. The ability to quickly Raise Dead an army is super useful but makes developing a strong economy very important at the same time. VC are good at rapidly adapting to sudden changes or bouncing back from a bad upset loss (I mean you could always savescum, but I feel like its less critical with VC). Mannfried Von Carstein is also another great starting hero, and being able to snipe enemy lords, have lots of strong magic options AND being a melee powerhouse makes him one of the best heroes in the game.

Chaos- A very different playstyle and unfortunately one marred by needing to heavily abuse autoresolve against the Norscans/Varg because their armies are not only incredibly samey but also quite annoying to actually manually fight. Based on my limited experience their roster is pretty solid, seeming to take a lot of the best aspects of many other factions and mash it into a nice mix (minus most ranged). The horde mechanic in a way is nice because you don't really need to micromanage your settlements so the play style is much more aggressive and dynamic, its just raze, sack, raze, sack all the way down.

Greenskins- The last faction I tried. I thought they'd be very hard to play because I always crushed them as Dwarves but I found the advantage of a human player is being able to capitalize on their strengths much more than the AI can. The WAAAAGH mechanic is a lot of fun and I was pleased to be able to wreck turtled up capitals far faster than I ever could with any other faction.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Fangz posted:

quote:

Why does CA really love crappy events and bonuses so much more than neutral or good ones? Is this some dour English thing? The gods are always angry, there's some lovely migration. Is there a single like, straight buff event?

Whuh? Those are positive events. Gods are angry is a growth buff. Great migration is a pretty significant cut to recruitment costs. (Yeah okay you pay about 20 public order in each city for these, but that's hardly a significant cost because you usually run a slight surplus in public order per turn, and there's no benefit to maxing it out.) The only truly negative events I can think of is the piracy one and the negative growth one, and they are pretty minor. There's also some entirely positive ones like the one that gives +2 recruitment experience for a few turns, or the one that lets you pick between a leadership buff and cheap recruitment, or the Say No to Strangers one that removes some corruption from every province.

From a few pages back, but this seems relevant:

This was the 2nd turn after he was recruited. :orks:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Flakey posted:

Your orc made his dance too sexy and paid the price, a good event.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tardcore posted:

Someone typoed it, it's the rear end watcher, and you're slowed down because you're just gazing at a really nice rear end.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Tardcore posted:

It was a goblin so I'm pretty sure he was just a bumbling idiot.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tardcore posted:

I got this event three times in a row when he recovered, dude can't stop dancing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Grognan posted:

I got this event three times in a row when he recovered, dude can't stop dancing.

Did you rename him to reflect his status as Lord of the Dance?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ice Fist posted:

I think I had that many armies as VC at the very end of the game when I'd min-maxed every province including moneymancers and multiple tier-3 ports and gold mines. I was pulling in 30k+ per turn after upkeep. Basically if the AI is doing that and you're still in the game at all it's cheating.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Flakey posted:

Twice as Chaos my top sorcerer got sucked into the warp for a forced vacation.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So while reading up on skaven lore, I came across this gem

Known Skavenslaves

Skabbicus - the most famous slave revolt occurred in Skavenblight. Slaves from many clans rose up, following Skabbicus, a slave turned warrior, who promised a better existence. Legions of armored Stormvermin assaulted down narrow tunnels to suppress the rebellion, but the slaves held firm. They might have gained freedom had not the devious Council of Thirteen announced a pardon for any who desisted and pointed out their leader. It is said that over 10,000 Skavenslaves pointed out Skabbicus and watched their former commander get cut down and eaten. The promised pardon was quickly forgotten and the following retribution was predictably brutal. Production dropped for weeks throughout Skavenblight, but everyone ate well.

:allears:

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 18, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Laying siege to Castle Templehof on turn 11 took my 2 stacks full of zombies and skeletons 10+ minutes to complete with the framerate falling into the single digits..

Every once in a while I forget why I autoresolve all sieges and wonder if maybe I'm depriving myself of a fun, interesting aspect of the game. Then I do one manually and remember.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I'm finally almost done with my first Dwarf long campaign. I would have been finished 40 turns ago, but I have one stupid grudge left to get a master engineer to rank 15. Dumb assholes kept crit failing actions, but now I'm just a couple turns away, farming damage walls on my vassal-ed VC's one walled city. All orc tribes destroyed, all but one dwarf faction confederated, allied with all Empire factions, Chaos faction is destroyed, 2-3 minor powers left.

So - when I got the message that says Warriors of Chaos faction eliminated, is that permanent, or can they come back? I'm worried that before I can finish grinding this dumb agent up to level 15, the factions I allied with are going to drop alliances and attack me and the cycle of grudges will start back up again. My dwarf ally won't confederate with me and just dropped military access, my relations with all the human factions are dropping fast, too. Kinda wish Chaos would pop back up for one last epic fight, I have like 250k gold banked up and 4-5 armies just hanging out in the northern dwarfholds holding back the minor chaos factions.

Dwarf army is really fun to use when I can keep lines of fire open for thunderers and organ guns. Ironbreakers are hilariously amazing with their blasting charges. I wish gyrocopters were better, it finally seemed like I had a cavalry type unit but they don't seem to have much effect. My heroes and lords seem underwhelming, but then I tend not to spec for the personal battle stats lines.

Maybe they do anyway, but speccing all my generals for the dwarf warrior buffs early in that skill tree let me completely dominate the early game. I completely steamrolled the orcs with just a couple stacks of like 10 warriors, 6 quarrelers, 3 grudge throwers. Miners are broken as gently caress in siege battles. Dwarfs has gotta be the easiest faction.

Panfilo posted:

I feel like they are very newbie friendly because they are so defensive you can pretty much set up your army's formation and more or less just sit there and watch the enemy wreck themselves against your lines.

Yeah, this, absolutely.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 18, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sieges are pretty satisfying as Chaos if you have a hellcannon to manually target.

Empire is dead now, only Bretonnia is left. It's turn 50. Sallying out of Norseland into the heart of the Empire really works, though it's risky as hell.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah these are probably the best sieges we're gonna get in TW I think. I'd wager they're the best so far at least, with Shogun 2 very close behind.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Reztes posted:

My heroes and lords seem underwhelming, but then I tend not to spec for the personal battle stats lines.

This was especially grating going to VC. Suddenly having heroes in your army made a huge difference.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Also, does Chaos get daemons and poo poo now? I didn't see much of what I imagine to be mid to late tier roster except those funnily tragic chariots.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Also, does Chaos get daemons and poo poo now? I didn't see much of what I imagine to be mid to late tier roster except those funnily tragic chariots.

Nope, they closest thing they get are a bunch of possessed dudes and monsters. Actual in-the-flesh daemons are a separate faction that'll probably be introduced later on.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This was especially grating going to VC. Suddenly having heroes in your army made a huge difference.

Dwarf heroes maybe aren't quite on the level of ridiculous VC vampires with health regen + the best spell school, or 100% physical damage reduction Banshees, but they're still very good.

Engineers have super great passive ranged buffs for your army. Considering that this is where your damage comes from as Dwarfs, it helps a whole hell of a lot. They're decent at sniping monsters, too (and heroes/lords if you can get line of sight).

Thanes specced for durability are basically invulnerable and will gather a whole bunch of enemy units around them for you to light up with thunderers or irondrakes, who normally have line of sight issues when using regular dwarf infantry as your tanks. They are absolutely fantastic in city sieges, able to hold off all enemies in an entire street while you blast them to bits. Good on the walls too.

Admittedly I haven't really spent time with Runesmiths. They have some powerful abilities but I don't like having too many activated skills in my armies and that is what he's all about. I've seen several people say he's great, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Go back to the 100% physical resist Banshees please. How?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's a pity that the +1 Thane building is tier 4. Makes them much harder to mass than captains.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rakthar posted:

Here's some of the fun behaviors:

-Units of Cav are trying to flank your main infantry formation. The AI will always do this with cav, and time the flank shortly after the line makes contact.
-If you put units of spears on the flanks and never touch them again, that's the best move. Your guys will soak the charges but do ok since they have the charge bonus negation thing as spearmen, and they won't chase fleeing units
-If you make the mistake of clicking an enemy unit it will kite your melee guy and pull him out of formation
-Even when the enemy cav decides to engage your units the AI will pull it out 2-3 times to cycle charge
-You either have to micro the units back or let them eat the charge every time

:cry: The AI uses cavalry effectively! :cry:

Deified Data posted:

Finished Chaos long campaign and I am SO HAPPY I won't have to do it again.

What do you mean you won't HAVE TO do it again? You didn't have to do it in the first place. If you're not having fun with a game, don't finish it. Jesus.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ravenfood posted:

Go back to the 100% physical resist Banshees please. How?

Give them items with Ward Saves. Depends on how lucky you are with item drops though, so you can't plan your setup with that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

Ahahahaha so many things about that screenshot own. The horscans always demanded I pay them for peace when wrecking them as VC. Did you actually trek up there as Orcs? :orks:

Nah, i just cleared them from empire lands along with the warriors of Chaos. After Archeon called it quits they all begged me to stop killing their raiding parties.

In a way i kind of want to go there and smash them to bits but they destroyed literally all dwarven settlements north of Gunbad so now i'm doing a terribly grinding and unpleasant experience of creating endless swarm of goblin armies to colonize and maintain public order. Not only do i need to keep the army there for the early pacification process but i also need them there to make sure all that chaos and vampire influence gets down to decent levels.

Chaos basically gave me a giant middle finger before departing. Tzeentch's plans come to fruition once more.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Vargs posted:

Admittedly I haven't really spent time with Runesmiths. They have some powerful abilities but I don't like having too many activated skills in my armies and that is what he's all about. I've seen several people say he's great, though.

They only have 4 abilities, 3 of which are a huge buff (one adds extra armor piecing damage, another adds armor and something else, and the last is just straight damage reduction) to your guys and the forth does decent damage. Also the abilities are all cooldown based so there's no real reason not to spam them. Basically runesmiths are great and you should use them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Give them items with Ward Saves. Depends on how lucky you are with item drops though, so you can't plan your setup with that.

You can also use plain physical resist items, which tend to have higher percentages than ward.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Completed Hard mode Chaos long campaign, turn 85.

Some thoughts:

Okay, agent spam is pretty bad as Chaos. With other factions it's manageable, but as Chaos, the combination of being at war with everyone, and not having a dedicated assassin makes for a veritable herd of Captains etc assaulting your armies every single turn. The mod to turn off hostile agent actions is unfortunately pretty necessary if you want to play aggressively anyway.

It's really not worth it to baby the norscans. I ultimately subjugated two tribes, bearsonlings and sarl in the West. Both were destroyed - both by the northern dwarves because I war-coordinated them to get them to help with Kislev. And you know what? This was not an issue at all. Indeed I'd say that the main thing with Sarl was that they annoyingly slowed down Varg's conquest of the North, (Varg won despite me sacking their cities and bribing Skraelings, go figure) after which the Varg helpfully took out Kislev and Ostermark and Ostland for me. Basically, view your allies/vassals as temporary replenishment pitstops, don't give a poo poo about their welfare.

Hit the Empire early. It really does help. If the Empire is weak and other factions are strong, they can't confederate their way out of the problem. I had the good fortune to hit them just after confederating Stirland - the result: nobody particularly liked them and wouldn't help out when I burned down Altdorf, other than Middenheim which I had already hosed up. Fighting the Empire is easier, more fun, and more lucrative than fighting norscans.

Keep moving. You can build up really fast as Chaos, but you are always on the verge of bankruptcy. Two stacks hanging around just out of attrition distance is a pretty strong force. You can do a leapfrog manoeuvre where you have the armies come together to attack a city, you sack and have the lead army continue moving just out of attrition range then encamp, while the second army encamps within the ZOC of the city so that they can raze it the next turn and move away using march stance. If your armies are depleted and you see something scary, you should move your armies next to each other and encamp to recruit more guys - the attrition isn't that bad. Don't worry too much about razed towns being resettled, unless Empire is doing the resettling.

The biggest boon of the Chaos is that so much of their stuff takes only one turn, so you can recruit on the move. This does make me question whether some of the higher tier two turn units are worth it. A single turn of delay is costing me something like 6000 favour! When I could just flood my army with chosen and chaos spawn, it does make me wonder why I want knights.

Good units:

Dogs and marauder horsemen are both pretty great light cavalry. Yes, they will never fight anything 'real' in a fair fight, but so what? Use them to chase off their light cavalry, kill their artillery/archers, cycle charge enemies in the back, and most importantly utterly slaughter their fleeing units when you win a fight. Always have 3-6 of them in an army. If you push your light cavalry in from the flanks as your infantry come in, enemy archers will turn to face them, and the AI might even peel infantry away from the main body. This can be a big advantage.

The forsaken/chaos spawn chain is pretty great. Forsaken are very strong damage dealer infantry that will happily eat swordsmen for lunch. They have the additional benefit of being somewhat faster than almost all infantry, so they can chase stuff down after a fight. Chaos spawn are basically unbreakable trolls. Both train in one turn so you can replace them freely. Oh, also that building chain lets you build sorcerers, giving you access to death magic and letting you block units?

Hellcannons are lovely, as people have said.

Great weapon variants of infantry are the way to go, IMHO. Yes you take more losses, especially from archers, but because you don't have archers of your own you should have a sizeable light cavalry advantage. Use that to eliminate their ranged units. (Note: doesn't work vs dwarves) If you take casualties just recruit new units.

Have your heros do something every turn, spec your exalted heroes for exemplar/inspirational. With that and some recruitment skills on my Lord, I was making GBS threads out 6 rank 9 chosen each turn, and it only cost me 600 favour each!

Fangz fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 19, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any way to ask a faction to stop being at war with a third faction? I only seem to be able to ask them to break treaties, not sign treaties.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I don't think so, but if there is I'd love to know. Your allies don't automatically peace out in a war you called them in when you do, right? So if I have a weak faction that's helping me fight the empire and I peace out Franz would just have free reign to take their settlement, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I'd feel bad for letting it happen.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Aha holy poo poo Rakthar is now bitching about the AI flanking with cavalry. It just gets better every day.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Do AI vassals keep their difficulty bonuses?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Come on you short bastards. I will literally pay you to colonise these ruins your former empire.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Finished my first short campaign by accident as I never check the requirements for those. :) VC on hard at about turn 80. Could have been turn 60 but I left Franz sitting in Marienburg for a while out of laziness. Really fun run. Picked Kemmler first and unlocked Mannfred on turn 5 or so. Made peace with the dwarves and started sacking. If you rely on pure chaff for as long as possible you will get TONS of famous battle grounds which will be key for defense later on. I just suicided waves of zombies and skeletons into every city I could. Late game I could hire a lord in a city that was about to be attacked, and then raise dead a full stack, all in one turn!

They probably are the strongest faction in the campaign right now, or at least the easiest.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Any tips for Orcs? I got grimgor and a Waagh going early and conquered red fang + top knots to consolidate some power, but Thorgrim, Ungrim and several other dwarf stacks are just rolling in and wiping me out. I can't make a stand against them. Did I just have an unlucky start or should I leave the badlands alone and concentrate on dwarfs early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Grumio posted:

Any tips for Orcs? I got grimgor and a Waagh going early and conquered red fang + top knots to consolidate some power, but Thorgrim, Ungrim and several other dwarf stacks are just rolling in and wiping me out. I can't make a stand against them. Did I just have an unlucky start or should I leave the badlands alone and concentrate on dwarfs early?

As a general thing, you can use underway interceptions as a poor man's lightning strike. Obviously it's a random chance and you might wind up in a lovely position afterwards, but they're bloody helpful when they go off.

Otherwise I could use some tips too, I got destroyed last night when the top knots and a couple dwarf stacks rolled into the neighbourhood. Barely even had time to get Grimgor's stack to full, not that it mattered. At least I learned you can confederate with people as part of a peace deal.

• Locked thread