Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

night buses are a life experience to be savored

places i have been offered tube socks for sale:

the #49 Western bus late at night

walking down the street in chicago

walking through the halls of my storage unit building. in this location they were offered for free by being underhand tossed at me, i stepped out of the way, the man seemed a little perturbed that i did not want his free tube socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

gently caress cars, gently caress the police

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
streetcars actually friggin' rule

i imagine shaggar thinks its like some kind of Dandy horse style thing

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the streetcars in toronto are super :3: but you can get around a lot faster on a Bikeshare Toronto bike

at least that's my experience as a tourist, usually mucking around in queen street west

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

streetcars are actually not good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i helped design part of the new orleans streetcar system and that section of the expansion is gonna be excellent for getting tourists from the bed and breakfasts in the marigny and bywater over to the downtown area w/o makin them walk thru the treme ghetto or the sketchier parts of the quarter

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I take the streetcar in Toronto to work every day over the subway and it takes about the same amount of time and I can sit in the sunshine and get a nice breeze through the window and send snapchats to all my pals

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

streetcars have all the limitations of rail and the limitations of buses and none of the benefits of either

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

streetcars have all the limitations of rail and the limitations of buses and none of the benefits of either

it's way more awesome when a streetcar plows into some dumbass driver tryin to cut across the tracks

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i helped design part of the new orleans streetcar system and that section of the expansion is gonna be excellent for getting tourists from the bed and breakfasts in the marigny and bywater over to the downtown area w/o makin them walk thru the treme ghetto or the sketchier parts of the quarter

is the treme Baltimore level sketchy?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's way more awesome when a streetcar plows into some dumbass driver tryin to cut across the tracks

hah tru

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bloody posted:

They're a much smoother ride than a bus and are electric. plus they weigh 80,000lbs so it's really funny when people run into them

Also Toronto is making more of them dedicated laneways soon hopefully

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's great, the cars have no drat chance lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Moist von Lipwig posted:

They're a much smoother ride than a bus and are electric. plus they weigh 80,000lbs so it's really funny when people run into them

Also Toronto is making more of them dedicated laneways soon hopefully

you can do electric buses too and then you get nice features like being able to change lanes to go around that illegally parked car and streets that arent mega hosed up for cyclists

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bloody posted:

you can do electric buses too and then you get nice features like being able to change lanes to go around that illegally parked car and streets that arent mega hosed up for cyclists

if someone parks in the centre lane it's problem for everyone. the streetcar's biggest enemy is left hand turns

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Malcolm XML posted:

night buses are a life experience to be savored

The last time I took a night bus I fell asleep drunk and ended up 40 minutes away from the Copenhagen suburb I was supposed to be in, got woken up by a bus driver who barely spoke English, and then made it back to my stop where I had to walk a mile along the highway and ended up getting home at about 6am so yes I concur

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
night buses: marginally better than just passing out on the curb

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
you haven't lived until you've taken the vomit comet

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chris Knight posted:

that nasa plane that simulates zero-g by diving? what does that have to do with buses

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Grandmaster.flv posted:

treme is good, as is baltimore you racist gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

that nasa plane that simulates zero-g by diving? what does that have to do with buses

... also the name for toronto's blue line buses

ride the rocket, etc., etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bonus points for waking up in another city with the driver angrily demanding another fare before he'll let you off

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Chris Knight posted:

Just got off it, spectacular as always

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my sister used to live right beside that sinkhole in baltimore

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

heres an old documentary about all the cool old transit systems in the bay area. gonna be fun having to spend billions to rebuild all this over my lifetime cause cars are bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOLGzSnNHI

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

heres an old documentary about all the cool old transit systems in the bay area. gonna be fun having to spend billions to rebuild all this over my lifetime cause cars are bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOLGzSnNHI

america is bad + dumb + racist

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Grandmaster.flv posted:

wait what

are you asking b/c black folks live there

it's just the oldest historically black neighborhood in the city and has the lafitte projects inside of it

lotta poors live there but it's mostly fine if you're a white local (black people shoot eachother there sometimes)

since it borders the quarter there's just a lotta tourist muggings but i used to park my car there at night when i'd visit friends that live on the edge

also there are a lotta airbnbs there which is hilarious

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

no I meant in terms of lack of infrastructure and maintenance and city services. I know nola is doing a ton of renovation but is that just one of the forgotten neighborhoods?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Grandmaster.flv posted:

no I meant in terms of lack of infrastructure and maintenance and city services. I know nola is doing a ton of renovation but is that just one of the forgotten neighborhoods?

well they're currently building the streetcar expansion along one side

so along that corridor there's lots of new development

but no it's not gentrifying like other nearby areas are, at least not yet

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my friend lived in treme for a few years and i visited him there many times, its fine

its run down and poor, shocking these places exist in our fine nation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the thing to keep in mind about streetcars is that the original streetcar systems were built before the existence of a.) the pneumatic tire or b.) traffic

a 19th century streetcar could do 15-20 mph on city streets including the stops. and it had a significantly smoother ride than any alternative mode of transport. people were willing to pay good money to ride one and systems were mostly profitable.

in 2016, a city bus is good for all of 8 mph. (on average. it doesn't have to be that fast. in manhattan, you can literally outwalk a bus.) a streetcar won't do any better. and there's no comfort advantage to laying rail, because modern buses have rubber tires instead of freaking wagon wheels.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the comfort advantage comes from not jumping side to side every time they switch lanes and smoother stop-starts due to vehicle weight.

also a clrv can hold something like 2x the number of passengers of a regular bus, likewise an alrv and an articulated bus, again, without getting bounced around every time the driver has to shift from the right to center lane to avoid on street parking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in 2016 the number one impediment to streetcars is vehicle traffic. if your streetcar route is moving 56000 people per day, it makes sense to accommodate that over on-street parking and left-turning vehicles in the same right of way

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

infernal machines posted:

in 2016 the number one impediment to streetcars is vehicle traffic. if your streetcar route is moving 56000 people per day, it makes sense to accommodate that over on-street parking and left-turning vehicles in the same right of way

loads of streetcar don't do this though and are mixed traffic and therfore poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

again, the problem with mixed traffic is the traffic part. the streetcars are moving thousands to tens of thousands per day. up to 132 and 205 people per vehicle for crlv and alrvs respectively. each car can hold a maximum of what, five, maybe six people?

so give the streetcars the road. if you want to drive, go find a dirt road in the sticks

there, you didn't have to pour hundreds of millions, to billions of dollars into a hole in the ground. the infrastructure already exists

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the roads were built for horses, streetcars, bicycles, and pedestrians. restrict it back to that population, problem solved.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

again, the problem with mixed traffic is the traffic part. the streetcars are moving thousands to tens of thousands per day. up to 132 and 205 people per vehicle for crlv and alrvs respectively. each car can hold a maximum of what, five, maybe six people?

so give the streetcars the road. if you want to drive, go find a dirt road in the sticks

there, you didn't have to pour hundreds of millions, to billions of dollars into a hole in the ground. the infrastructure already exists

if we have a dedicated right of way it doesn't even matter which choice we make. a dedicated busway is just as good as light or heavy rail for most measures of goodness

(as long as you're cool with the horrible air pollution)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a dedicated busway is just as good as light or heavy rail for most measures of goodness

except not, because it requires more vehicles to move the same number of people due to capacity. so you're trading infrastructure costs for staffing (e.g. operator and fleet maintenance workers) costs plus the expense of additional vehicles and the maintenance thereof

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

except not, because it requires more vehicles to move the same number of people due to capacity. so you're trading infrastructure costs for staffing (e.g. operator and fleet maintenance workers) costs plus the expense of additional vehicles and the maintenance thereof

the per-passenger costs are very similar, but a busway will have much lower maximum capacity than a "real" subway. that's ok, most of the time.

not many systems actually need to move a million people a day on a single line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if your dedicated busway is so popular you actually need to start moving a million plus riders a day on a single line, that's a good problem to have

the capital expenditures for a heavy rail line will start to look very reasonable

• Locked thread