Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That's really good Batgirl art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
There is a Detective Comics #935 preview.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/detective-comics-935-dc-comics-2016

It looks pretty good. I am loling at the Clayface Danger Room.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

poo poo. Ryan Sook is doing interiors for Batman Beyond: Rebirth. I'm gonna have to buy that.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I am way into this monster thing. That's amazing.

I just read Justice League #51, which was about the JLs meeting Dick Grayson as Robin for the first time.
There was this guy observing from monitors talking about needing to feed on the heroes of this world and having an in through this boy (Dick.)
Then it told me to go read Titans: Rebirth. Was that followed up there?

I mean there wasn't a direct followup but the whole "You're the future of superheros" does kind of lead into Titans.

Which is funny because the Titans have never been the future of anything except for Wally. They just kind of mill about in a perpetual limbo waiting for their predecessors to die/retire which will never happen because comics.

Go read Titans Rebirth if you care about Wally reconnecting with his friends. If you don't care about Wally then there's nothing there for you, really. Unless you're one of those weird Booth art fans.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The weird unnamed interdimensional entity going "I must feeeeed on this tasty woooorld" isn't mentioned Titans Rebirth, no, but he was very much mentioned in Titans Hunt. So I don't really know why the ending blurb said to read Titans Rebirth other than to namedrop it.

To summarize: We know that Dr. Manhattan, or someone connected to the Watchmen, is responsible for stealing the ten years' missing time and memories. But Titans Hunt revealed that Mr. Twister (the purple guy with a hat, seen above) was responsible for making the Titans forget each other, even in addition to the ten year reboot, and that he did so to appease some other entity...evidently, the Hungry Narrator Guy in Justice League #51.

My guess right now is that the post-Rebirth Titans story will be them going after Hungry Narrator Guy, thinking that he's responsible for everyone's missing memories and relationships...but all that's just going to be a red herring, because we the readers know that he's not the real, major culprit, but merely someone taking advantage of the mess.

Which...if I'm right...and if I'm being real honest...kinda makes Titans a little less interesting to me. We're gonna be spending all this time with them trying to solve the mystery of the missing years, but they're just gonna be getting it wrong the whole time, just padding for time until Geoff Johns comes back to finish writing the event or whatever. That's kinda lame.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 18, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked Superman #1 well enough. I didn't know anything about Superman having a kid, let alone one that's old enough to walk and talk and all that. I'm really curious to see how this new Superman fits in, hopefully they make it feel really different. Bats and WW just show up and they're like "Well....you're Superman now."

I hope Not Robin gets to do some cool stuff. Doing Batman's math homework was not that. The good death stuff is all TDKR, right? Enough of that. As if Batman is gonna die in #1. Just skip to the drat "What if Superman came to Gotham and stuck around" and run with that.

Titans Rebirth was skippable. It just covered Wally being back. Who is Lillith? I've never heard of her before. I know she wasn't on the original Teen Titans. Who's her mentor, Spectre? That doesn't make sense.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't know who Omen was either when I saw the redesigns, but then I found out it was Lilith, and yes she was an original member of the Teen Titans. They weren't all junior versions of established hereoes. They also had Hawk and Dove and a caveman.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I spend 3 seconds on Wikipedia and the caveman's name is Gnarkk. No wonder they scrapped everyone for Cyborg and the other lads from the cartoon. Beast Boy is way better than both Hawk and Dove.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

BrianWilly posted:

The weird unnamed interdimensional entity going "I must feeeeed on this tasty woooorld" isn't mentioned Titans Rebirth, no, but he was very much mentioned in Titans Hunt. So I don't really know why the ending blurb said to read Titans Rebirth other than to namedrop it.

To summarize: We know that Dr. Manhattan, or someone connected to the Watchmen, is responsible for stealing the ten years' missing time and memories. But Titans Hunt revealed that Mr. Twister (the purple guy with a hat, seen above) was responsible for making the Titans forget each other, even in addition to the ten year reboot, and that he did so to appease some other entity...evidently, the Hungry Narrator Guy in Justice League #51.

My guess right now is that the post-Rebirth Titans story will be them going after Hungry Narrator Guy, thinking that he's responsible for everyone's missing memories and relationships...but all that's just going to be a red herring, because we the readers know that he's not the real, major culprit, but merely someone taking advantage of the mess.

Which...if I'm right...and if I'm being real honest...kinda makes Titans a little less interesting to me. We're gonna be spending all this time with them trying to solve the mystery of the missing years, but they're just gonna be getting it wrong the whole time, just padding for time until Geoff Johns comes back to finish writing the event or whatever. That's kinda lame.

it will be trigon

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Hootington posted:

it will be trigon

Is Trigon not already a thing in N52? That was my first guess too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is Trigon not already a thing in N52? That was my first guess too.

I don't know and this isn't N52 technically anymore. They are soft rebooting some characters again it seems.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was gonna say we've had N52 Raven so we must've had Trigon, but then I have zero idea what N52 Raven's whole deal is so maybe not.

In any case, Hungry Narrator should be from a whole other world -- presumably, another Earth in the Multiverse -- and I don't know if that applies to Trigon.

It sounds a lot like Mandrakk, frankly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I liked Superman #1 well enough. I didn't know anything about Superman having a kid, let alone one that's old enough to walk and talk and all that.

Read Lois and Clark. It's pretty good.
https://www.comixology.com/Superman-Lois-and-Clark-2015/comics-series/54055?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

L+C were snapped out of the old universe for the Convergence event. She had their kid in the Superman tie-in, they ended up in the N52 around the time of the Justice League forming, and have lived in secret till now with nu-Supes dead.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 18, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
N52 TT, Rebirth TT, Titans #3 and BB #1 solicits

http://www.comicosity.com/exclusive-september-2016-dc-rebirth-solicitations-titans-family/

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
God help me, I'm excited for a Teen Titans book in TYOOL 2016.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Semper Fudge posted:

God help me, I'm excited for a Teen Titans book in TYOOL 2016.

It has been about a decade since it was a decent book.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Squizzle posted:

I wish I had a cite for this, but I understand that Dan DiDio had wanted to do a COIE-style hard reboot for years, but kept getting stymied by someone above him (who had a nerdish concern against rebooting—I'm guessing Levitz), hence all the half-attempts like Infinite and Final Crises.

He finally got his reboot with the New 52, but that seems to have alienated readers (or, at least, not attracted enough of them). Their solution to that is Rebirth, masterminded by Geoff Johns. According to rumors, Johns was overruling DiDio instructions to the creative talent for Rebirth. Now, GJ is off making movies in The Saddest Superhero Film Universe, so who knows what's happening anymore.

Has anyone ever asked Didio what his direction for Countdown was? It's my understanding that it was his baby, and was universally panned by everyone after how successful 52 was.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Has anyone ever asked Didio what his direction for Countdown was? It's my understanding that it was his baby, and was universally panned by everyone after how successful 52 was.

He also apparently hated 52 and always referred to Countdown as "52 done right" even though everyone but him loved 52 and hated Countdown.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I don't think his objection to 52 was that it was bad creatively, but that it didn't fulfill the editorial purpose for which it had been commissioned. It told its stories very well, but it did remarkably poorly at explaining the missing year for the DCU as a whole (and didn't set up many spin-offs, which had to rankle). Countdown had much tighter fit to original purpose, even if it was poop trash for idiot babies.

I bought almost every issue of Countdown as it was released. Welp.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The concept of Countdown (at least as I remember reading on Wikipedia when it was coming out) was that it was meant to be the "backbone" for the entire DCU for the year it was coming out. It was supposed to be a title that tied into everything, so you could pick it up and get an idea of what was happening in the DCU in general that week: so if somebody died, you would hear about it Countdown; if somebody married, you would hear about it in Countdown; if aliens invaded in a Superman comic, you would hear about it in Countdown; if the Joker went on a killing spree in a Batman comic, you would hear about it in Countdown; if there was a crossover event, you would hear about it in Countdown, etc. It was conceived as a sort of universe compendium title.

I suppose the issue was that this isn't necessarily going to be very focused in and of itself, so it needs a narrative throughline to sustain interest, but that concept didn't really leave a great deal of room for the book to have an original ongoing story arc of its own. If readers want to know what's going on in Green Lantern, they won't pick up Countdown to do it; they'll pick up the latest issue of Green Lantern. If readers pick up Countdown, it'll be because they want to read the story Countdown has to tell, and Countdown didn't have a coherent idea of what its story was and where it was meant to go, because the core idea of Countdown is that it has everyone else's stories instead of its own.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Also we're getting a Raven mini by Marv Wolfman? Did we know this already?

And good GOD DC, NO-ONE cares about your stupid Future's End timeline, just reboot Batman Beyond and pretend the last run never happened!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Squizzle posted:

I don't think his objection to 52 was that it was bad creatively, but that it didn't fulfill the editorial purpose for which it had been commissioned. It told its stories very well, but it did remarkably poorly at explaining the missing year for the DCU as a whole (and didn't set up many spin-offs, which had to rankle). Countdown had much tighter fit to original purpose, even if it was poop trash for idiot babies.

I bought almost every issue of Countdown as it was released. Well

It is extra hilarious because 52 was how comics at DC should be and is one of the best series ever produced by DC. Thinking about it now the bimonthly books should have tried for a 52 vibe.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Not to mention that a huge problem with Countdown was that it was literally counting down to an event where the creator had absolutely no interest in tying his story to the events in Countdown, and actively asked them not to do many of the plot points.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Darth Nat posted:

Not to mention that a huge problem with Countdown was that it was literally counting down to an event where the creator had absolutely no interest in tying his story to the events in Countdown, and actively asked them not to do many of the plot points.
"Let's not use New Gods for a few years so when they reappear in this event it's a big deal!"
"Use New Gods! Okay!"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair though Final Crisis is a confusing convoluted poorly explained mess that absolutely would have benefitted from a series' worth of leadup (especially all the New Gods stuff which feels awkwardly tacked on at best) and the only reason I didn't read Countdown was because everyone loving hated it.

And Morrison reacting the way he did to Countdown seeking to actually set up the events of FC sounds to me like Morrison at his worst and why I run hot and cold on him as a writer, when he decides to write comics for only his own enjoyment over making them, you know. Comprehensible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you read All-Star Superman? I'd like to hear what you thought of that.
As well as Seven Soldiers and Multiverity, which strike a much better balance between nutso meta narrative and solid stories in their miniseries and one-shots respectively.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 19, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The New Gods stuff in Final Crisis is the main plot though?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The New Gods stuff in Final Crisis is the main plot though?

The Apokolips guys are (and really, you don't need to know anything about Darkseid and his crew beyond "Is Darkseid and he has minions") but I would say all the other New Gods stuff (especially that weird random plot point where they heavily imply Super Sumo's a reincarnated New God or something?) is totally loving wedged in there with no adequate followup.

Teenage Fansub posted:

As well as Seven Soldiers and Multiverity, which strike a much better balance between nutso meta narrative and solid stories in their miniseries and one-shots respectively.

I haven't read rear end in its entirety, no, but my current backlog is absurd and All-Star Superman's already on it. I might read it sooner rather than later just because it's 12 issues though, since it's easier than reading like, Simonson's Thor or Duggan's run on Deadpool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair though Final Crisis is a confusing convoluted poorly explained mess that absolutely would have benefitted from a series' worth of leadup (especially all the New Gods stuff which feels awkwardly tacked on at best) and the only reason I didn't read Countdown was because everyone loving hated it.

And Morrison reacting the way he did to Countdown seeking to actually set up the events of FC sounds to me like Morrison at his worst and why I run hot and cold on him as a writer, when he decides to write comics for only his own enjoyment over making them, you know. Comprehensible.

Even if you were following along with DC at the time, it wouldn't have helped. Countdown was written basically using Morrison's notes for the first issue, and they ran a concurrent "Death of the New Gods (DoNG)" that only contradicted Final Crisis, but it contradicted Countdown.

It was all real bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

The Apokolips guys are (and really, you don't need to know anything about Darkseid and his crew beyond "Is Darkseid and he has minions") but I would say all the other New Gods stuff (especially that weird random plot point where they heavily imply Super Sumo's a reincarnated New God or something?) is totally loving wedged in there with no adequate followup.
Ah, wasn't quite sure what you meant.

Seven Soldiers does some of the setup for Final Crisis with the Mister Miracle sections but I thought they didn't quite sit well with the rest of it.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

I haven't read rear end in its entirety, no, but my current backlog is absurd

You have been on a loving tear lately. What prompted you to go all in on comics? Did a particular superhero movie / TV show give you the itch or what?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Incredibly embarrassingly, I finished reading Homestuck and wanted to read comics that weren't abjectly terrible. I had also finished a major writing project that had consumed a majority of my free time for the past couple of years previously and was made aware that CWII was a thing. Civil War was the first event comic I ever read and hearing about CWII made me really want to actually read comics and give them a real shot as a continuing narrative. Hearing about Ta-Nehisi Coates on BP gave the whole genre a level of cultural legitimacy to me I never really considered beforehand, and then someone strongly recommended me to read Hickman's run from Dark Reign to SW, which elevated the medium as a whole for me seeing how strong a story could be within the framework of comics.

So it was basically a combination of suddenly gaining a bunch of free time, being burned on a very bad comic, hearing about a superstar on a brand-new one, and reading one of the best runs in comics history.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 19, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I know I'm not the person you asked but as someone who dislikes a lot of Morrison's work (and has been obnoxiously vocal about it), I actually really liked Multiversity and found it surprisingly easy to follow. I only wish the end would have provided a close to some of the tie-ins, which mostly ended on cliffhangers. Like, I understand that they were supposed to end that way but I kind of would have liked to see what happened to, for instance, that world with the slacker hero kids getting overrun with Gentry-infected Superman robots.

Thunderworld loving ruled though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, Thunderworld and Pax Americana were the highlight of the series for me.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Toxxupation posted:

Morrison cooperated with DC and gave them his series notes and his full script for the first issue when they began breaking Countdown out.

The problem is that nothing in Countdown (or DC's publishing line in the year leading up to Final Crisis) made any sense if you knew they were working towards Final Crisis.

Prior to Morrison's Countdown pitch, no one was using the New Gods. He asked that they not use the New Gods for a year or so, so their appearance in Final Crisis could be a big deal. They responded by making "The Death of the New Gods" and "Darkseid's master plan" and everything else a big part of Countdown and their overall line. Then as an end run for some reason they got Jim Starlin (who vocally disapproved of both Morrison and DC in general's take on the New Gods) to do a Death of the New Gods mini-series with contradicted BOTH stories and which Starlin called "a mercy killing" because of how lovely Morrison and everyone else treated these characters he loved. This is before Final Crisis #1 came out.

Another part of Morrison's FC pitch was how there was going to be a big reveal that Darkseid's power was so great he had managed to corrupt Mary Marvel, who was also not really being used by anyone at the time of the pitch. He wanted this to be a big shock thing. DC responded by having the PITCH for Countdown be MARY MARVEL WILL BE CORRUPTED BY DARKSEID! They ran that story through most of Countdown, then realized she was supposed to *get* corrupted in FC, so they had her shake free of his evil control in the third act. Then they realized they had spoiled the shock anyway so they had her turn evil again in like the last three issues, right before they killed off Darkseid.

There was more, but it was less "Morrison is mad they dare make a prequel to his masterpiece" and more "they took his notes and just confused and annoyed everyone and then repeatedly suggested at conventions and interviews that Morrison hosed around and made it so Final Crisis didn't line up with Countdown".

Or like Final Crisis #1 opens with all of the villains united under Libra, who is a frontman for Darkseid and kills Martian Manhunter to show off his power. To set this up, Countdown does a long storyline about how Amanda Waller is sending all of the supervillains off to a prison planet run by Apokalips. Batman sends Martian Manhunter as an undercover agent. The planet gets attacked by parademons and even more c-list New Gods, villains bicker and form tribes and find out Martian Manhunter is among them, and put him in a fire jail. Then Lex Luthor builds a portal, pretty much everyone teleports back to Earth and goes their separate ways, disgusted at each other. They leave the Martian Manhunter for dead on the planet that is dying because the New Gods are dying.

Or how Final Crisis has this sort of idyllic impassive group of Monitors with unique names and relationships and who have a peaceful society and cannot believe one of the multiverses was destroyed and it is a grave decision to banish one of their own over this failure.

So Countdown to Final Crisis #1 spends the first half showing how all of the Monitors are identical and do not believe in names and then that leads into a giant war where a bunch of Monitors fight other Monitors and kill each other and obliterate multiple universes.

This is to say nothing of long stretches of Countdown touting how Jimmy Olsen and Jason Todd and Pied Piper will be big players in the coming event, so in the lead-up to Final Crisis you're treated to a couple hundred pages of Pied Piper being chained to Trickster and Trickster suddenly becoming mad homophobic and then eventually Pied Piper dying by blowing up a planet by playing Queen on a flute. To build up to Final Crisis.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 19, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
I disagree. Salvation run was a fun little mini with the gorillas fighting, proclamations of love, and the Luthor vs Joker "They Live" fight.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

How is that disagreeing? You liking a Countdown storyline as a "fun little mini" (agree to disagree on that specific point) has nothing to do with the fact that it was hyped up as leading to Final Crisis, which it did not. In fact, it contradicted the book it was supposed to be a lead-in to.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Edge & Christian posted:

How is that disagreeing? You liking a Countdown storyline as a "fun little mini" (agree to disagree on that specific point) has nothing to do with the fact that it was hyped up as leading to Final Crisis, which it did not. In fact, it contradicted the book it was supposed to be a lead-in to.

I should have said "I agree, but" instead of " I disagree."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Whoops, meant to edit this into previous post.

Ah, gotcha. Maybe I was too close to Countdown to be able to separate out the small fun bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Edge & Christian posted:

Whoops, meant to edit this into previous post.

Ah, gotcha. Maybe I was too close to Countdown to be able to separate out the small fun bits.

You read all of Countdown? I checked out of it after 3 issues and just picked up the bits that interested me.

I agree the main Countdown book was absolute garbage as were most tie ins to it, but Lightning Sage, Salvation Run, and Captain Carrot and the Final Ark were all pretty good comic books.