Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think I'm done wishing for remakes of old cartoons. Too many of them end up being poo poo.

What I really want is what I already have, just in HD and with new stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So what's the deal with aliens, Earth and the MCU? Was the invasion of New York in the Avengers earth's first contact with alien life? If so why doesn't anyone in Daredevil or Jessica Jones talk about how crazy it is that not only do aliens exist but they invaded our city? In Guardianfs of the Galaxy they show that other civilizations obviously know about Earth since the Ravagers kidnap Peter and in the first Thor they show Odin and friends fighting the Ice Giants or whatever on Earth . Is there some sort of Prime Directive keeping aliens from messing with our planet because our lack of technology? Asgard didn't seem to have a problem messing around with Earth thousands of years ago or defending that village in Thor 2 that was just mud huts where everyone had swords and spears.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The rest of the universe seems to let Asgard be as long as they don't mess with anything beyond their sector of space. Probably because even an Asgardian accountant can punch your jaws off.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
It kind of seems that Earth is within Asgard's sphere of influence or something, which could have been dissuading other overt involvement until the Asgardian Loki fucks that all up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

NikkolasKing posted:

I want to catch up with the MCU and "Foxverse" or whatever it's called. What movies since...2011 or 2012, whichever, should I look into?

The Guest and Robocop 2014

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

THOR 1 was Asgard policing realms, same as in 2, AGENTS the Kree came a long time ago to experiment with what would be Inhumans, GOTG we don't really know why the came but probably something specific and insignificant, and AVENGERS 1 was a summoning via portal and not really anyone actually coming to Earth.

AVENGERS 1 said it, we were evolutionarily babbys and so no one out there cared until the Infinity Stone started broadcasting that we're interesting to gently caress with now hence Thanos gathering the goods for his lone Michael Jackson sparkle glove.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All I want out of life is a Michael Bay directed Silverhawks.

I still say and believe that Bay is perfect for GI JOE. Imagine the battle of the Statue of Liberty from the cartoon movie directed by Bay. It would be amazing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know, I'm reasonably optimistic about this movie, given the talent involved and the series being a classic and one that can easily be adapted to film, etc., but this is some lovely graphic design.
I know, isn't it fantastic?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
"Isn't it crazy that aliens just invaded? We aren't alone! Life changing right?"

*dude flies past pulled along by his magic hammer*

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Pretty sure all the TV series mention the invasion at least once. Otherwise I'm not sure what you expect them to do, although a flashback episode to show what they were doing during the invasion would be pretty sweet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

"Isn't it crazy that aliens just invaded? We aren't alone! Life changing right?"

*dude flies past pulled along by his magic hammer*

At least there aren't any loving mutants to worry about. -shakes angry fist-

Wait, Quicksilver exists in the MCU now, right? How does that work? What about the persecution and potential for genocide? Or is he just not a mutant?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The thing about the MCU is that "continuity" doesn't matter for poo poo and the "shared universe" is mostly branding.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, Quicksilver exists in the MCU now, right? How does that work? What about the persecution and potential for genocide? Or is he just not a mutant?

He was the result of HYDRA experimentation, there are no mutants in the MCU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's getting a shared universe deal with Space Ghost, Birdman, Mighty Mightor, Johnny Quest and Frankenstein Jnr:

It's only a comicbook series but I'm guessing they're testing the waters to see whether the characters are still popular enough for a revival animated series. They're also doing an updated Scooby Doo comic series (with hipster Shaggy and cyber-emoji Scooby) and a post-Apocalyptic Wacky Races reboot in a desperate attempt to make those 1960s IPs relevant again.

There's also going to be a new animated Scooby Doo movie which will attempt to launch a Hanna Barbera shared cinematic universe.

Thanks to Adult Swim I am unable to take Space Ghost, Birdman or Johnny Quest seriously anymore.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Vintimus Prime posted:

I still say and believe that Bay is perfect for GI JOE. Imagine the battle of the Statue of Liberty from the cartoon movie directed by Bay. It would be amazing.

Oh, man, that would be great. I just watched that intro thanks to you and even now it gets me pretty damned pumped.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Pietro and Wanda are the results of human "enhancement" experimentation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well that's kind of interesting... I don't know why they included them, then. It's not like they are particularly well known characters and The Avengers has had a lot of lineups. Then again, from what I hear, X-Men Evolution might have pushed the twins into the greater public spectrum. Obviously I don't know if this is true or not but I was talking about Evo elsewhere and someone said

quote:

The MCU Scarlet Witch dresses like the Evo version and the Fox version of Quicksilver probably resembles Evo's more than he resembles the comics version.

Anyway, I mentioned earlier about good R-rated comic-based films and The Crow which is overlooked. But I didn' t even need to go that far back - there was also Watchmen. Was that good? I remember hearing mixed things. I'm forming a list of DVDs or Blu-Rays to get when I have some money and I was gonna add it to the list. Also gonna buy the actual comic to compare.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Watchmen was a servicable transition of most of the dialogue and visuals to the screen that completely missed the point of major parts of the book. It could and should have been to comic book movies what the book was to comic books, but simply wasn't. Intro sequence was alright though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Watchmen was a servicable transition of most of the dialogue and visuals to the screen that completely missed the point of major parts of the book. It could and should have been to comic book movies what the book was to comic books, but simply wasn't. Intro sequence was alright though.

As has been posted here before, Watchmen really does sort of function as an answer to comic book films, it was just made before they exploded like they have. I bet someone watching it for the first time might get a different experience out of it in 2016.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Well that's kind of interesting... I don't know why they included them, then. It's not like they are particularly well known characters and The Avengers has had a lot of lineups.

I remember people saying it's because Joss Whedon is a big fan of the Scarlet Witch. It would explain why he introduced them but then killed off Quicksilver immediately

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The problem with the 'Mark Kermode' meme about how Watchmen adapts the visuals and dialog but not the point is that we don't get any closer to articulating precisely what the point was, or why Watchmen can't have its own point.

It's remarkably like the 1971 film The Point, where there's a scene of an artist who paints a red circle on a white canvas and is immediately kicked out of the academy because he hasn't made a painting that has a literal 'point.' Of course, the subtle joke is that even a painting without a literal point possesses a figurative point, like looking at a cone from a vertical axis so that it only looks like it has no point.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Additionally: whenever someone attempts to explain 'the point' of Watchmen, it's invariably some dross about how the purple-coloured cartoon world of psychic magicians was 'realistic'.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I eagerly await comic fans explaining what the point of Watchmen is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I eagerly await comic fans explaining what the point of Watchmen is.

The point was that every life is a horrible, terrible miracle and thus life has a point even if it ends in a big ole joke.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

The point was that every life is a horrible, terrible miracle and thus life has a point even if it ends in a big ole joke.

How do superheroes relate to this, specifically?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What super heroes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

watchmen is is intially consumed as the majority of the characters within it would, linearly. however by the end we are to see it as dr manhattan does, concurrently and whole. he is the inverse of humanity, sentience with knowledge of his own immortality, and through him and his paradoxically limited omnipotence the other character's actions and arcs are grounded. that's"the point", to me

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Blue dong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Pretty sure all the TV series mention the invasion at least once. Otherwise I'm not sure what you expect them to do, although a flashback episode to show what they were doing during the invasion would be pretty sweet.

Yes this, that scene in Batman vs. Superman was the only interesting part of the movie.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I came out viewing Watchmen in the cinema hating it, but the Directors Cut turned me around on it massively and I was glued to the screen from start to finish.

SMG and K-Waste, have you watched that huge 4 hour long version with the cartoon added to the run time, and if so do you think thats worth a watch too?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Watchmen is still my favorite comic book movie. The personal struggles of each super hero is what made me love it so much.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not saying I hated Watchmen but I do keep forgetting it exists. Every so often I spot the DVD in a store and go "oh right, they made that."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Gorn Myson posted:

SMG and K-Waste, have you watched that huge 4 hour long version with the cartoon added to the run time, and if so do you think thats worth a watch too?

I can do without the Ultimate Cut, only because Tales of the Black Freighter on its own is a good short, and all of that stuff about the news stand doesn't really elucidate or improve the pacing of the movie the way the new stuff in the Director's Cut does.

Honestly, I would have been more partial to the Ultimate Cut completely dropping Tales and replacing it with the faux T.V. special for Under the Hood. That would have been ace.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I recently picked up a collection of old Thor comics and I wish they hadn't dropped Donald Blake from the movies. Not because I'm such a big fan of alter egos or secret identities, but because Thor's and Blake's relationship is weird and creepy. I'm still not 100% certain Blake is a real person, mostly because Thor doesn't treat him as such. It's as if Superman believed Clark Kent was just his disguise, but whenever he puts on the glasses he really becomes a different person.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Yes this, that scene in Batman vs. Superman was the only interesting part of the movie.

The corresponding scene in Civil War, with them all sitting in a table watching clips from previous movies, was laughably weak in comparison.

I'm hoping someone will eventually do a supercut showing how the BvS scenes fit in with how the various actions are shown firsthand in MoS.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

I came out viewing Watchmen in the cinema hating it, but the Directors Cut turned me around on it massively and I was glued to the screen from start to finish.

So do you think I should read the comic first and then watch the movie or vice versa?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm hoping someone will eventually do a supercut showing how the BvS scenes fit in with how the various actions are shown firsthand in MoS.

There's a few on YouTube,here's one with weird coloring:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ficEDs6WmhE

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So do you think I should read the comic first and then watch the movie or vice versa?
I'd read first. Just for the nature of the beast. I think it's more worthwhile to go into the book like "what's gonna happen" rather than "how is what's happening different from the movie". Unless you're really good at tuning that sort of thing out, I guess, but still. It tops the lists of comics must-reads for a reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NikkolasKing posted:

Doesn't matter, it's a Children of Men/Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep type deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

As with most things, you should consume in release order, unless you have absolutely no interest in reading a comic book.

• Locked thread