Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Great, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Read Nixonland, The Invisible Bridge, The Bad Samaritans, Lies my Teacher Told Me, and A People's History of the US.

Anyone have recommendations in line with these? I need stuff to read at night during a two week summer drill to fuel my debating with the other Marines.

Alternatively I'm about to get a new job back in a laboratory environment, which I haven't been involved with in over a decade since college, and could use some good "history of the sciences" recommendations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Read Nixonland, The Invisible Bridge, The Bad Samaritans, Lies my Teacher Told Me, and A People's History of the US.

Anyone have recommendations in line with these? I need stuff to read at night during a two week summer drill to fuel my debating with the other Marines.

Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Might as well add Before the Storm, to complete the Perlstein lineup.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Might as well add Before the Storm, to complete the Perlstein lineup.

I wanted to but iTunes didn't have an audiobook.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Uroboros posted:

I wanted to but iTunes didn't have an audiobook.

ah hell, i can't learn about a subject because there isn't a person on itunes reading the book out loud to me. i also need someone to change my soiled diaper

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Digging into 1493 after finishing 1491 a few months ago and it's also just as great.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A human heart posted:

ah hell, i can't learn about a subject because there isn't a person on itunes reading the book out loud to me. i also need someone to change my soiled diaper

Slow your roll chief. I too would ideally love it if everyone took a few hours a day to read books but poo poo isn't always ideal. Personally I'd rather someone indulge their curiosity about history via an audio book than be put off it entirely by stodgy purists.

Not all of us can, or want to be, dorky professional academics.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a very accesable book for history about Rome and such?

e; I'm gunna clarify; basically with 0 knowledge of Ancient Rome but not for kids

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 13, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My standard recommendation for that is Rubicon by Tom Holland. He's a great writer and it's about the end of the Republic, which is the best documented of one of the most dramatic periods of Roman history.

A second possibility is SPQR by Mary Beard. I actually have not read it yet but I have seen a bunch of her Roman documentaries and they're really good, and she tends to approach the subject from a common person perspective instead of the elite. So, I'm going to bet the book is worth reading.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Also recommending The History Of Rome podcast, if you have three months of commutes (or gym workouts) you're looking to add something to.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks guys ill check em all out

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You could also check out Dan Carlin's Death Throes of the Republic for another take on that.

Or watch HBO's Rome. HBO's Rome is great. In fact, watch it no matter what.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

A human heart posted:

Yeah, they have made me super lazy but realistically if I'm in a darkened out area I can listen to it with head phones on without disturbing anyone else, also I've just found them more useful in general, being able to enjoy a book while reading or painting is great.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Uroboros posted:

being able to enjoy a book while reading ... is great.

It must be, yes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megazver posted:

You could also check out Dan Carlin's Death Throes of the Republic for another take on that.

Or watch HBO's Rome. HBO's Rome is great. In fact, watch it no matter what.

will do that also thanks man

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Abu Dave posted:

will do that also thanks man

I can give a solid recco to the aforementioned SQPR by Mary Beard. It's a modern history that does not assume much in the way of prior knowledge, and does a great job of looping in larger themes around specific individuals. It was a fun read. It covers Roman history from the mists of time up to the peak of Empire (the granting of citizenship to all citizens in the 2nd Century AD), so you'll need something else for The "Fall" of Rome (I can recommend Peter Heather's "The Fall of the Roman Empire" for that topic).

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Would anyone be able to recommend any titles covering medieval Spain, or anything touching on the Reconquista?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Does anyone have any good books on Romania during and I suppose to immediately after the Ceaușescu regime? Looks like someone asked a year ago int his thread but no one responded.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Does anybody have any suggestions on books about the Nuremberg Trials, or the Khmer Rouge?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Captain_Person posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions on books about the Nuremberg Trials, or the Khmer Rouge?

"When The War Was Over: Cambodia And The Khmer Rouge Revolution" by Elizabeth Becker is one on the latter I read last summer and it's gut-wrenchingly thorough :S

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Are there any histories in English of the Khmer empire? The only Cambodia books I can find are Khmer Rouge stuff and I want to know about the people who built Angkor.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

smr posted:

"When The War Was Over: Cambodia And The Khmer Rouge Revolution" by Elizabeth Becker is one on the latter I read last summer and it's gut-wrenchingly thorough :S

Thanks, this looks to be exactly what I was looking for.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Grand Fromage posted:

Are there any histories in English of the Khmer empire? The only Cambodia books I can find are Khmer Rouge stuff and I want to know about the people who built Angkor.

I read a history of south east Asia whose name I will look up for you. Its the best I've found on the region

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Grand Fromage posted:

Here's the name of the book for you A History of Southeast Asia by Arthur Cotterell

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Does anybody have suggestions for what I guess would be called "commodity history" books? What I've read previously:
"The Arcanum", about how porcelain was reverse-engineered in Europe and the Meissen porcelain works.
"Liquid Jade", a general history about tea.
"For all the tea in China", a biography about Robert Fortune, a Scottish botanist sent to China to steal the secret of how to make tea.
"Tulipomania", bitcoins tulips can only go up in value!
"Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition", about the Volstead act and why it got passed and so on.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

C.M. Kruger posted:

Does anybody have suggestions for what I guess would be called "commodity history" books? What I've read previously:
"The Arcanum", about how porcelain was reverse-engineered in Europe and the Meissen porcelain works.
"Liquid Jade", a general history about tea.
"For all the tea in China", a biography about Robert Fortune, a Scottish botanist sent to China to steal the secret of how to make tea.
"Tulipomania", bitcoins tulips can only go up in value!
"Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition", about the Volstead act and why it got passed and so on.

The History and Social Influence of the Potato.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Cod" by Mark Kurlansky does what it says on the tin.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also "The Pencil" and "The Evolution of Useful Things" by Henry Petroski.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

"Cod" by Mark Kurlansky does what it says on the tin.

I read this and I think "Salt" also by him. They're OK but I think I'm done with history-of-one-thing books for a while, there are heaps of them out there at the moment.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

withak posted:

Also "The Pencil" and "The Evolution of Useful Things" by Henry Petroski.

I had Petroski for a couple classes ~10 years ago. Bastard assigned half a dozen books, all things that he'd written.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Also Yergin, "The Prize" - history of oil.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

FMguru posted:

Also Yergin, "The Prize" - history of oil.

This is what I came here to recommend. Fantastic book.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
"Empire of Cotton" is good too.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America by Eric Jay Dolin for all the essential whale oil related products.that got phased out by petroleum.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the recc of SPQR for roman history, very well done and doesn't put much into the myths which is welcome.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks for the recc of SPQR for roman history, very well done and doesn't put much into the myths which is welcome.

Yeah I've started reading it as well based on this thread, it's a good read so far. I like Mary Beard's style.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Reading "The emperor of all maladies: a biography of cancer" right now.

Pretty good. A+ beach reading. Will make you double up on sun screen.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Reading "The emperor of all maladies: a biography of cancer" right now.

Pretty good. A+ beach reading. Will make you double up on sun screen.

The author, Siddhartha Mukherjee, has just released a new book called The Gene: An Intimate History which looks to be an interesting follow-up to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Can anybody recommend a book about Biblical life from a secular perspective that isn't...uh, aggressively secular? I want to learn about what the disciples ate for lunch without every paragraph ending in either, "and this is why Christianity is a LIE" or "and this is why Christ is LORD".