Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ah. I had a good feeling I was mistaken, based on how stupid I am. I wonder how they get that sour taste in Namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Biomute posted:

I don't like lemongrass in beer. It's bitter in an insipid soapy way.

Kona's delicious Lemongrass Luau seems to prove otherwise, unless lemongrass is one of those cilantro-like things where certain people taste weird things most don't.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

yamdankee posted:

I'm not a taste expert. Maybe it's not the lemongrass that's giving that sour/tart flavor? Is there a particular strain of yeast, that's not a 'wild' yeast, that can still give a sour flavor?

Could be the yeast. Yeast can cause similar sensations in a few ways, some through esters and some through attenuation. Really dry beers can come across tart. So if it's something like a saison yeast and they added a simple sugar, it could finish down really low final gravity.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm pretty sure that they use some kind of standard wit yeast, but also 'dried organic orange slices' so it's probably citrus + yeast.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Summer beer swap package has arrived,

Thanks Drunk Nerds!

3 bottles of Pliny clone and 3 bottles of a falconers flight pale ale, everything arrived safe and sound.

Der Penguingott fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 15, 2016

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Brewed on Friday, added 2 sachets of hydrated M84 to 5 gallons of oxygenated wort at 50F. Yeast was best before March 2017, kept cool since the start.
No airlock activity. No krausen. I know those two things don't mean everything and read M84 was a very slow starter, but I took a measurement yesterday evening; didn't drop a single point in 5 days.
Increased temp to 54F, gave the fermentor a swirl. Nothing in 12 hours. Will check tonight, but if there is still no activity after 24 hours can I assume my yeast is dead?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Arent starters really important for lagers.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

BioTech posted:

Brewed on Friday, added 2 sachets of hydrated M84 to 5 gallons of oxygenated wort at 50F. Yeast was best before March 2017, kept cool since the start.
No airlock activity. No krausen. I know those two things don't mean everything and read M84 was a very slow starter, but I took a measurement yesterday evening; didn't drop a single point in 5 days.
Increased temp to 54F, gave the fermentor a swirl. Nothing in 12 hours. Will check tonight, but if there is still no activity after 24 hours can I assume my yeast is dead?

5 days is an awful long lag time. Without knowing the OG, you may have under pitched a bit, but the fermentation still should start.

A healthy lager fermentation shouldn't take that much longer than ale yeast to start.

I would personally not be ok with waiting any longer and would pitch a few packets of Belle saison /t58 or something else fairly aggressive with a strong flavor profile. At this point I think you probably wouldn't want to try another lager yeast due to the chance something else is growing in there. You will notice it a lot less with a more assertive yeast.

You may also come home tonight and find your yeast woke up and everything is fine and the beer turns out great...you never know.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Der Penguingott posted:

5 days is an awful long lag time. Without knowing the OG, you may have under pitched a bit, but the fermentation still should start.

It was 1.048, I figured two sachets was enough for something that low but only just checked to see lager requires a lot more yeast. Yeast is definitely the weakest part of my brewing and this is my first lager, so not a good combo.
Still, I've underpitched two of my first brews before I learned about starters and while the FG was high they still attenuated over 60%, while this one hasn't dropped a single point. There should be something going on.

Der Penguingott posted:

You may also come home tonight and find your yeast woke up and everything is fine and the beer turns out great...you never know.

I'm really hoping to come home to something bubbling away, because the only yeast I have available is some kit yeast from an old Cooper Classic Dark Ale and getting something else will take days.

Fingers crossed!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So in about 10 days, I'm brewing a double batch. My FIL has the idea to do a variation-on-a-theme-type of thing. My suggestion was a pale ale hopped differently, but we don't really have the ability to do two simultaneous boils. His idea was to split a batch and use different yeasts instead. Has anyone tried this? What would a yeast-showcasing recipe look like?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I've done the split batch with two yeasts thing before. It's actually pretty interesting, even when you just use a sort of ordinary recipe and sort of ordinary yeast cultures. Do a nice ESB, then do one with an American yeast and one with an English yeast. Do a stout with London and Irish yeasts. Do a saison and compare saison strains. I'm sure others will have better, more interesting ideas, but even something like an IPA with US-05 vs. S-04 can be a really neat experiment.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Jo3sh posted:

I've done the split batch with two yeasts thing before. It's actually pretty interesting, even when you just use a sort of ordinary recipe and sort of ordinary yeast cultures. Do a nice ESB, then do one with an American yeast and one with an English yeast. Do a stout with London and Irish yeasts. Do a saison and compare saison strains. I'm sure others will have better, more interesting ideas, but even something like an IPA with US-05 vs. S-04 can be a really neat experiment.

I like that ESB idea. Have a good ESB recipe you use?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

My Colt .177 is sort of an English/American hybrid Best Bitter. I've posted this a number of times and people seem to like it. You could up the base malts a touch to bring it into ESB range or just brew it as-is:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/colt-177-v-3-2-1f801e

Mash at around 152 - 153 to keep some body in the beer.

Please note: that's a 15-gallon recipe, so scale accordingly. For the English yeast, I strongly encourage WLP023 Burton Ale/WY1275 Thames Valley. It would be interesting to try it with a characterful American yeast, maybe WLP041 Pacific Ale.

Unfortunately, I find that most shops don't carry Ashburne Mild Malt. It really is the key to this one, IMO, but you can sub in more Maris Otter if you can't get it. Or look for another mild malt if your shop carries one.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Jo3sh posted:

My Colt .177 is sort of an English/American hybrid Best Bitter. I've posted this a number of times and people seem to like it. You could up the base malts a touch to bring it into ESB range or just brew it as-is:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/colt-177-v-3-2-1f801e

Mash at around 152 - 153 to keep some body in the beer.

Please note: that's a 15-gallon recipe, so scale accordingly. For the English yeast, I strongly encourage WLP023 Burton Ale/WY1275 Thames Valley. It would be interesting to try it with a characterful American yeast, maybe WLP041 Pacific Ale.

Unfortunately, I find that most shops don't carry Ashburne Mild Malt. It really is the key to this one, IMO, but you can sub in more Maris Otter if you can't get it. Or look for another mild malt if your shop carries one.

Thanks a lot! :hfive:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

You're welcome, of course.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
My LHBS is closing in July. :( I live in Chicago so there are like at least 3 others I can drive to, but this one was like a ten minute drive and I could just pop in on my walk home from work if I needed something.

Sad.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

BioTech posted:

I'm really hoping to come home to something bubbling away...

Fingers crossed!

Came home and there was airlock activity. Slow, but steady. It was still going 12 hours later, at the same slow pace. I am gonna do a gravity reading tonight and Sunday to see how things are going, for now just glad something is happening after 5 days and no drop.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

nullfunction posted:

Yep, it's possible according to a quick Google (though I've never tried it). From what I'm reading, it works best if you skin them (the skin doesn't taste great) and the bright red color will actually fade over time. I don't really care for beets, so this isn't something I'd try a batch of, but if offered a single beet beer I'd definitely try it.

Re: beet chat
IIRC the darker Belgian candi syrups use beet sugar to aid sweetness or colour or something and the darkest uses date sugar IIRC

robotsinmyhead posted:

This is my kinda thread!

My brewclub was actually gonna make a youtube video with mock instructions on making a Strawberry Cheesecake beer. It'd be kinda straight-laced until about halfway through where we slide a whole, uncut strawberry cheesecake into the boil kettle before sitting down for a nice cup of tea.

One of my least favourite local breweries in Brisbane fairly well only seems to do retarded beers. Amongst their list of "beers"
- Rocky road beer
- lamington ale
- raspberry and white chocolate Pilsner
- peanut brittle Gose (wtf the last two won awards)

I've seen numerous people calling the brewer out for using extracts in his beers, he denies it and I tell anyone who does so that you wouldn't get the head that beer has without using extract seeing as white chocolate is basically 100% fat!! Also I heard there was recently a large shitstorm on the beer forums about his Gose being riddled with diacetyl.

Jo3sh posted:

My last split batch was a 5 way split dark wheat beer, which I mashed high and threw a different Brett at each one. Interesting.

BioTech posted:

Came home and there was airlock activity. Slow, but steady. It was still going 12 hours later, at the same slow pace. I am gonna do a gravity reading tonight and Sunday to see how things are going, for now just glad something is happening after 5 days and no drop.

Definitely taste that sample when you test gravity for off flavours!!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
just as a heads up, Keg Connection is selling pin lock 5 gallon kegs at $35 (on sale) with new o-rings right now

also: I'm looking to pick up a co2 charger/picnic tap/hosing and pin lock disconnects for a camping trip, this looks like t the best deal, but anyone think I can get stuff cheaper than that?

e: also how many co2 cartridges should I bank on needing to get through a 5 gallon keg if I overcarb it a bit before going?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Der Penguingott posted:

Rockcity, your summer swap package is going out in the mail tomorrow.

FYI, it has a bunch of yeast cultures in it that I thought you may be interested in, so don't leave it out on the porch. It does have an ice pack in it. I'd expect it will be there Wednesday or Thursday.

2016 ecy bugfarm with jolly pumpkin dregs. This yeast is super aggressive, I've been using it for primary fermentation.

Omega All the Brett's.

Omega Lacto. (It's in apple juice.)

Also included is a DIPA with Omega's Conan, an American Porter, AU Summer hop saison and an Amarillo Brett saison (that I really wanted to share but just bottled and probably needs a few weeks to carb...)

FYI, everything arrived safe and sound yesterday. I went and got my mail as soon as the truck was at our mailboxes to get the cultures back in the fridge. I'm definitely excited to play around with some of those., especially the bug farm/jolly pumpkin one. I haven't done a mixed fermentation primary yet, so this is a great excuse to try it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

JawKnee posted:

just as a heads up, Keg Connection is selling pin lock 5 gallon kegs at $35 (on sale) with new o-rings right now
Thanks for posting this, I bought two. Don't have room for a kegging setup right now, but I doubt they'll be this cheap when I can start.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What are you all using for measuring mash temperatures these days? Those floaties that have been around forever swing all over the place. My IR thermometer is pretty consistent, but I do not know how well it measures fluids from the surface.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I've got a bimetal dial thermometer stuck through a 1/2" NPT fitting in my mashtun. I keep wanting to upgrade to a digital thermometer, but I haven't found one that would work for me at a reasonable cost yet.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I just use an instant read one. I use an cooler for my mash tun though and it loses maybe 2 degrees over an hour mash. I basically just check it to make sure it's right before slapping the lid on and then not worry about it.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I have the knockoff Thermapen from a company called Lavatools (check amazon). Seems pretty accurate and it's significantly cheaper.

In other news, I made my Black Masa IPA today. Between the masa flour and the insanely tight grind on my friend's mill, I ended up clogging the mash on the first runoff. I had to run home for my BIAB bag and lauter it that way. But, the fine grind had a significant effect on efficiency as far as I can tell. Shot for 1.063 @ 70% (kind of expected 75%) and finished at 1.080 which is like 88%. I guess I gotta let that ride because I don't want to water it down, but I'm likely going to have to pitch another pack of yeast on it.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 18, 2016

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Hey guys, I'm making a new cider with Martinelli's, peach syrup, and an orange. I was wondering what people recommend for carbonation. I've got some good clover and wildflower honey, cane sugar, or I was thinking I could make it slightly sweet and artifically carbonate it. Is that possible without a keg? Would there be a way I could force inject each individual bottle with carbon dioxide instead of either having a dry cider or a sweeter, uncarbonated one?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are you all using for measuring mash temperatures these days?

nmfree posted:

I use Thermoworks's 12 inch version of the 600C slipped through the loop of a bulldog clip on the rim of the BIAB pot.
Even if you're not BIAB, it's still a good option.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

robotsinmyhead posted:

I have the knockoff Thermapen from a company called Lavatools (check amazon). Seems pretty accurate and it's significantly cheaper.

In other news, I made my Black Masa IPA today. Between the masa flour and the insanely tight grind on my friend's mill, I ended up clogging the mash on the first runoff. I had to run home for my BIAB bag and lauter it that way. But, the fine grind had a significant effect on efficiency as far as I can tell. Shot for 1.063 @ 70% (kind of expected 75%) and finished at 1.080 which is like 88%. I guess I gotta let that ride because I don't want to water it down, but I'm likely going to have to pitch another pack of yeast on it.

I checked the last two pages but couldn't find a recipe for this.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

ScaerCroe posted:

I checked the last two pages but couldn't find a recipe for this.

It's my own creation. I figured that instead of using Flaked Corn, I could use Masa (cooked corn flour) considering that it's cheaper, easier to get, and doesn't need to be ground. It was a pretty simple recipe of Pilsner malt (I would normally use 6-row, but I have Pilsner to get rid of), Carafa III, and masa to make a to-spec Black IPA.

I had been talking about making it for a few pages and finally got around to it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Hey guys, I'm making a new cider with Martinelli's, peach syrup, and an orange. I was wondering what people recommend for carbonation. I've got some good clover and wildflower honey, cane sugar, or I was thinking I could make it slightly sweet and artifically carbonate it. Is that possible without a keg? Would there be a way I could force inject each individual bottle with carbon dioxide instead of either having a dry cider or a sweeter, uncarbonated one?

You could use something like stevia to backsweeten in bottles since it won't get eaten up by the yeast.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I pitched from White Labs yeast from their new packets today. I am extremely disappointed. When I cut it, somehow it had a bunch of gunk up top after I had tried to push it clear before opening. I got yeast gunk on my shorts. Then I poured the stuff in. I double checked the packet, and found the entire yeast cake itself stuck inside still. I had to extrude it out like toothpaste, glopping it everywhere. Without a doubt, some ran off the packaging, which I hadn't thoroughly sanitized. If I knew what I was getting into, I certainly would have done it differently, but I didn't expect any of this from the instructions. I very much liked the unblown soda rounds since I could see what was going on inside them. I'm probably just using Wyeast henceforth since it's the same style but without this particular fuss.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Fancy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-1ApVjan9U

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I pitched from White Labs yeast from their new packets today. I am extremely disappointed.

I've been doing those as a two-step process. First, I cut away the outer label/packaging, saving it for the customer club thingy. Then I spray the heavy inner packaging with sanitizer and cut that open with sanitized scissors to squeeze it into the fermenter.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Welp did a dumb brewing thing a couple days ago. Making a lager with my dad and we needed to do the starter in two steps. Being the lazy people we were, we just used half of the vial/ w/e the new white labs package is called and pitched that into the starter. We put forth no thought process into this and just poured the top part in their which of course contained little to no yeast. We sat there wondering why the starter wasn't doing anything. Than realized our mistake and poured the rest in. A minor mistake and we were still able to brew in time but it was funny.

We also found out this weekend why we went through CO2 so fast. Turns out the leak was at the keg. Not the regulator like we thought.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I really like the White Labs packets. I can actually squeeze out all the yeast without having to shake it up and risk foaming over.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Alternatively you can buy Wyeast and not have any of these problems.

I hate White Labs packaging so much :argh:

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

j3rkstore posted:

My LHBS is a white labs/East Coast Yeast shop only :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

j3rkstore posted:

I have an absolute bitch of a time getting the little bubble inside the activator pack to pop. Last time I use Wyeast stuff I had to slap it like twenty times before I finally felt the thing break.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Drone posted:

I have an absolute bitch of a time getting the little bubble inside the activator pack to pop. Last time I use Wyeast stuff I had to slap it like twenty times before I finally felt the thing break.

Find the nutrient pack and move it to one of the corners, then place the pack on the counter and put your palm on the pack and put all your weight on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

rockcity posted:

Find the nutrient pack and move it to one of the corners, then place the pack on the counter and put your palm on the pack and put all your weight on it.

Did this, up until the "put all of your weight on it" bit. I was terrified that I wasn't going to rupture just the nutrient pack, but also make the entire bag go boom and get yeast all over my kitchen.