Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Samizdata posted:

But when it does...

(Anyone have a popcorn smiley with the guy in MOPP gear?)

What. This isn't good enough for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
People gave them over $400,000 yesterday. I just don't even know anymore.

I feel grief.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wrecked Angle posted:

People gave them over $400,000 yesterday. I just don't even know anymore.

I feel grief.

This intricate money laundering/burning scheme probably has very little actual backer money going into it at this point

And that chart has been bullshit from the start

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
hi sandi

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

When this finally all ends I'm going to be really interested in seeing what Chris and Sandi thought their salaries should be and how much higher they are over the industry average.

Though Sandi is probably underpaid considering she does the job of eight people!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

That's a bit below the belt that you can back right now on Kickstarter

No Goals Barred!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Holy gently caress.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
new photoshop challenge

make sandi attractive

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
you're fired. yourefiredyourefiredyourefired!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

My cat does have breath that could strip wallpaper, he's a stinky old fucker

You should have that checked. I'm serious, if he is old it can be a lot of poo poo, and even seemingly trivial stuff like a tooth infection can lead to death in a matter of days. :smith:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sankis posted:

When this finally all ends I'm going to be really interested in seeing what Chris and Sandi thought their salaries should be and how much higher they are over the industry average.

Though Sandi is probably underpaid considering she does the job of eight people!!

complete speculation but I would not be surprised if she actually wasn't underpaid on those terms.

Having zero experience or job skills she should probably make 30-40,000. I'd say it's probably 8 times that.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I've been so tempted to make your scrote your avatar. I just don't know what SA mods would do.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Danknificent posted:

new photoshop challenge

make sandi attractive

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MeLKoR posted:

You should have that checked. I'm serious, if he is old it can be a lot of poo poo, and even seemingly trivial stuff like a tooth infection can lead to death in a matter of days. :smith:

you know what, I think I will, thanks.
I want him around a while longer

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Tippis posted:

Everyone else is effort-posting, so…

That reminds me of a thought I had the other day. There's all this talk about SC being a matter of faith, with all the connotations this entails — on the one hand we have the citizen cult; on the other we have the SA apostates and heretics; and of course, there's the Big Evil Fork-tailed Derek.

In a sense, I actually believe that the citizens got one thing right in all of this: they keep suggesting, implicitly and explicitly, that having faith in the project is what will bring it to fruition. That's why negative thoughts hit so hard and why facts are so useless against them. The only thing they really got wrong about this idea is whose faith it is that matters. It's not theirs — they're just backers and they don't really matter as far as completing the thing goes. It's not SA's or Dereks (or, more accurately, the lack thereof) — we can't actually change anything about the game and are only made relevant by how CIG reacts to us.

The problem is Chris. He, of all people, has no faith in Star Citizen, and that's why it is breaking down.

He has no faith in his own judgement; he can't say “this is good” and then stick to that conviction; he can't say “no” to ideas because there's no way for him to see that they don't fit with with the ideal. All he seems to know is that he has to beat… someone. Anyone. Everything and everyone is the enemy because there is no coherent idea that he can affix his vision to. He doesn't seem to believe in any one thing that can stand on its own merits — it has to build on and outclass something else — but without any such intrinsic value, that “something else” cannot be clearly defined so it becomes everything else. Rather than innovative, it necessarily becomes derivative, because otherwise, there is no way to judge that it is good. If it were innovative, there would be no good point of comparison to be “better than”; if it could stand on its own merits, it would be incomparable and thus — in the very essence of the word — worthless.

Look at the competition that has existed and that has emerged. Elite has the merit of being the Elitest of Elite games. NMS has the merit of being the weirdo-procedural-world game, complete with weird colour schemes to match. Good old EVE is the (war) economy sim. ME:A and CoD:IW are perhaps not innovative, but they have their very clear and staked-out niches: Bioware story-telling and military spectacle-shooting. What is the supposed merit of SC? It's simply “best”. At what? Being a “drat space sim game”, apparently, but that tells us nothing. At no point has Chris actually dared put his foot down and say “it will be ‘The (eponymous) Best’ at this thing” and then stuck to it.

The game lacks conviction; it lacks a goal; it lacks someone at the top who actually aspires to reaching that goal — at least in any way that dares to be mentioned publicly.

Quoting from way back, but this sums it up nicely. The game had a vapid goal of being "the best", but with lack of conviction it can only hope to be mediocre at best.
And I don't think Crobberts even had to pick one thing and stick with it, if he could have just picked one thing at a time. Start with the best drat lore, then the best drat flight model, then the best drat voice/mocap. All the while adding on to an actual playable game. I would have been happy parping around in a spaceship a la eve but with actual flight while they fleshed everything else out.
EVE tried the planetside fps gimmick with middling success, but at that point they had a solid meta game/emergent/community driven schtick.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
While attempting to beautify Sandi for the photoshop challenge I vomited... twice.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

surely there's a goon in here man enough to rise to the challenge

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Danknificent posted:

I did the best I could. Unlike Jobbo, I'm sane enough not to risk my sanity.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

What. This isn't good enough for you?

Although I do rather like that, I just think after :pgabz:'s bomb drops, we're going to need more protection from the fallout. LOTS more protection.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

While attempting to beautify Sandi for the photoshop challenge I vomited... twice.

Don't worry commando, it is a good indication that you are still a human being

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's just your body trying to expel your disbelief in CIG when confronted with Sandi's inescapable appeal.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Danknificent posted:

Tippis posted:

I did the best I could. Unlike Jobbo, I'm sane enough not to risk my sanity.

The Box Will Consume All

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Triple Treats. Triple Threats. Triple Deaths!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Now do her a Julia from the Hellraiser movies.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It would be cool if you would give a hard date on how long you are willing to wait for evidence before conceding that the project is likely non-viable. For instance, your predecessor Octopode said that CIG needed to show a sharp increase in content and optimization over the few months following the release of Alpha in order to keep his faith in the project (where increase in content meant literally dozens of star systems). He genuinely believed that this is what would happen, since "the foundation had already been layed".

He's posted in the thread maybe once since making that prediction.

Similarly Loiosh had the expectation that multi-crew would be functional and fun to play within a few weeks after 2.1 released iirc. It didn't take him long after that to realize he shoulda gotten that refund when he had the chance.

So what's your bar?

Every backer needs to honestly ask themself this question.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Did the best I could, tried to give her a little more emotion while I was at it.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Check out this mad tiger.

http://i.imgur.com/nsAcKfQ.gifv

The comments sections on videos are getting sparser for shilling. I haven't seen a referral code in a long time.

paarp

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fartposting in general is pretty cool and good.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

She welcomes citizens to the to the worst nightmare of all: Reality.

Then triples it every second.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Did the best I could, tried to give her a little more emotion while I was at it.

It's a step in the right direction.

I don't mean to trivialize your bravery, I understand the magnitude of my challenge - but I stand by it. If the infamous smarties can be defeated so easily, how can they hope to stand against the mighty Crobos?

Don't admit defeat so readily. You bring shame on yourself and shame on all Smarties.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

rabblerabble posted:

Star Catizen

:five::five::five: :five::five::five: :five::five::five:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Danknificent posted:

It's a step in the right direction.

I don't mean to trivialize your bravery, I understand the magnitude of my challenge - but I stand by it. If the infamous smarties can be defeated so easily, how can they hope to stand against the mighty Crobos?

Don't admit defeat so readily. You bring shame on yourself and shame on all Smarties.

How can I be a Smartie if I have no gang tag?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Samizdata posted:

Although I do rather like that, I just think after :pgabz:'s bomb drops, we're going to need more protection from the fallout. LOTS more protection.

:jerky:
Is there a source vid for that whole "you'll never get a job" "your fired" tirade?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
700 posts since friday wtf what did i miss

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

<<<YES, CHILD>>>

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Asema posted:

Nothing yet but apparently your going to miss something soon. :munch:

Oh and like 3 pages of :rip: pet death.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Asema posted:

I think MomA tried to have a "discussion" but it petered out rather quickly when it took its usual "Yes, CIG has done things that have made me lose confidence in them but I still believe they are a competent development studio despite having nothing to show for it." People got tired of it and were back to square 2.4

Personally, I think mOMa has developed a very Flanders-esque posting style. "Its like I'm posting nothing at all. Nothing at all."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RIP, to the pets who died

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How can I be a Smartie if I have no gang tag?

u rite u rite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

more info plz

• Locked thread