Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber is releasing three Fritz Lang silents in August...

Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler and The Spiders on Aug. 23
Destiny on Aug. 30

The also have a lot of Fox titles on the way, too:

Chandu the Magician - Aug. 23
John Ford's 3 Bad Men - Aug. 23
Cry of the City - Sept. 13
Sam Fuller's Fixed Bayonets - Sept. 20
Frank Borzage's Bad Girl - Nov. 8
The House on 92nd Street - Nov. 15
Elia Kazan's Boomerang! - Nov. 15
One Million Years B.C. - Nov. 22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Do native 4K Blu-Rays actually exist? I saw a bunch of copies of Deadpool that claimed they were, and a friend of mine told me they're just upscaled 1080p. I'm thinking of grabbing a combo pack of 4K and regular Blu-Ray of a different movie, but if it's not native then I'll just wait.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pirate Jet posted:

Do native 4K Blu-Rays actually exist? I saw a bunch of copies of Deadpool that claimed they were, and a friend of mine told me they're just upscaled 1080p. I'm thinking of grabbing a combo pack of 4K and regular Blu-Ray of a different movie, but if it's not native then I'll just wait.

Your friend is confused but it's not too surprising considering what a clusterfuck this all is. 4k UHD discs are actual 4k transfers but you need a special player to play them.

Some 4k UHD discs are upscaled but it's normally from 2k which is what certain movies' special effects were rendered in (I remember reading that about Life Of Pi)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 17, 2016

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Interesting - and I know my Playstation isn't one of those special players. Ah well. I'll have to think about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah there's 3 players - the most common is the Samsung that's $399, then there's a Panasonic that's out in Europe and Asia that's on preorder for $600 or so, then a Philips which I believe is a rebadge of an Asian player.

The newly announced Xbox One S will be out in August for $399 will also play these back with lower capacity versions to follow including one for $299.

Ultra HD is not just focussed on 4K because it's not leaps and bounds above 1080p (remembering that 4K is actually 2160p and not ~4000p like the naming might suggest), but instead the ability to utilise a wide colour gamut to produce more realistic colours under the 'HDR' moniker.

Naturally there are two competing technologies - HDR10 (standard for the UHD Blu-ray Discs) and Dolby Vision (less common currently, but more advanced. Generally likely to be online only until a player chipset is released).

You'll also need a TV that has HDMI 2.0a ports and HDCP 2.2 compliance.

So yeah, nothing straightforward at all. Why would it be? It's video!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Interesting - and I know my Playstation isn't one of those special players. Ah well. I'll have to think about it.

The Xbox One slim that's coming out in a little bit is probably the cheapest option for UHD blu-ray players. But the PS4 Neo is rumored to do it as well, but who knows when that's coming.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wow this really is a cluster gently caress. If you look for ultra HD and 4k players on Amazon there are some bluray ones but anything under 200 dollars does not seem to be able to play disks. Yet they mention 4k or ultra HD on the name of the product.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

Call Me Charlie posted:

Your friend is confused but it's not too surprising considering what a clusterfuck this all is. 4k UHD discs are actual 4k transfers but you need a special player to play them.

Some 4k UHD discs are upscaled but it's normally from 2k which is what certain movies' special effects were rendered in (I remember reading that about Life Of Pi)

Well "upscaled 1080p" and "upscaled from 2k" are really saying the same thing. And yes many movies these days have a 2K finishing process which means you aren't getting much benefit from the 4K UHD format (theoretically the increased color space and dynamic range could still be noticeable). There are also hybrids where digital effects scenes were done in 2K but shots without effects are 4K or higher, it can get confusing.

Here's the page you want to bookmark, where obsessive nerds track UHD titles that have utilized a 4K or higher master.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=270798

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's also http://realorfake4k.com

Ineffiable posted:

Wow this really is a cluster gently caress. If you look for ultra HD and 4k players on Amazon there are some bluray ones but anything under 200 dollars does not seem to be able to play disks. Yet they mention 4k or ultra HD on the name of the product.

Yeah they're just upscalers with really crappy descriptions. It certainly doesn't help matters.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Not to mention all the Blu-rays that came out in the past three years that are "new 4K transfers!" because the studios couldn't wait to hop on the 4K marketing hype train.

Here's an example of a blu-ray that's not actually 4K:

It actually says "4K" more times on the cover than the real 4K release:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 17, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That particular release has already caused hell as the Ultra BD was advertised as $8.99 online at Best Buy, then people went to pick it up and naturally got the normal bluray.

Smart people used it to price match elsewhere though.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i just ordered Inserts, my first twilight time purchase. i'm nervous that it'll be lovely. are they still lovely? or do we like them now

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

wa27 posted:

Not to mention all the Blu-rays that came out in the past three years that are "new 4K transfers!" because the studios couldn't wait to hop on the 4K marketing hype train.

Jesus Christ how hard is it to just put the logo on a black background with "Who you gonna call?" underneath

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber is releasing three Fritz Lang silents in August...

Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler and The Spiders on Aug. 23
Destiny on Aug. 30

I'm definitely buying Dr. Mabuse the Gambler, but I've never seen the other two. Are they worth picking up as well?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

Jesus Christ how hard is it to just put the logo on a black background with "Who you gonna call?" underneath

The very first DVD release has exactly this, and I guess every new version since has made sure to prove to the buyer it's a new and snazzy edition. But yeah it's a real shame given its one of the most iconic movie logos of all time. How many other films can you put up a non-title logo for and practically everyone in the known universe instantly knows what it is?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Slimer gets a bigger photo than Ernie Hudson

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EL BROMANCE posted:

The very first DVD release has exactly this, and I guess every new version since has made sure to prove to the buyer it's a new and snazzy edition. But yeah it's a real shame given its one of the most iconic movie logos of all time. How many other films can you put up a non-title logo for and practically everyone in the known universe instantly knows what it is?
I understand and agree with your point, but you could probably do it with a lot of superhero movies, too.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Harlock posted:

Slimer gets a bigger photo than Ernie Hudson

Ernie's too...ethnic, ya know?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also Rick Moranis gets to have his name on the cover but he doesn't appear anywhere on it. Apparently its way more important that two thirds of the cover be taken up by the Ghostbusters logo and two non-characters who are in the movie for like ten minutes combined.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Slightly off topic but I like how progressive scan became "upconversion" and then that word was too hard for people so then it became "upscaling".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Xenomrph posted:

I understand and agree with your point, but you could probably do it with a lot of superhero movies, too.

Yeah they're probably the other contenders... Superman and Batman for sure. Wouldn't say any of the Marvel Studios ones have that yet, it's mainly the properties that have existed for decades and had umpteen different versions throughout the years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Slightly off topic but I like how progressive scan became "upconversion" and then that word was too hard for people so then it became "upscaling".

It's like adding marble tile and heavy tablecloths to your movie experience. Ghosbusters is now upscale.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheScott2K posted:

Um, excuse me, what if I got the Blu Ray and it was the one with the womens in it!?? I need to know WHICH Ghostbusters I'm going to get.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Um, excuse me, what if I got the Blu Ray and it was the one with the womens in it!?? I need to know WHICH Ghostbusters I'm going to get.

When the remake comes out on blu-ray it should just be the logo with a black background to confuse people.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Rusty Staub posted:

i just ordered Inserts, my first twilight time purchase. i'm nervous that it'll be lovely. are they still lovely? or do we like them now

People are mad at them because of the price and the 3000-copies-per-movie limited edition business model. The quality is just fine - exceptional in most cases, as they're using brand-new 4k transfers from Sony and MGM for the most part.

There has been only one title where the quality was in question, to the best of my recollection - Night of the Living Dead (1990) was extremely blue, though that is the transfer that Savini signed off on and Sony delivered to Twilight Time.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

There has been only one title where the quality was in question, to the best of my recollection - Night of the Living Dead (1990) was extremely blue, though that is the transfer that Savini signed off on and Sony delivered to Twilight Time.

They hosed it up and, no matter what they say, it won't change that. You can get a HD version with a proper color grading from any VOD store.

I remember reading that some fans were trying to work on a fix based off the colors on the VUDU version but I haven't heard anything else about it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time literally doesn't have anything to do with the transfers on their releases. They usually get top notch 4K masters from Sony and most Fox. Same with Shout! until recently since they occasionally pay for new 2K or 4K masters on big titles like Army of Darkness or The Thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have some Twilight Time releases and they're quite good. People just whine because of the price. But most of them hang around on the site for a long time and there are plenty of sales on them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CelticPredator posted:

You'll know it's the one with the womans because you got it out of the giant trash can with a sign that says "$7.88" at Walmart.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Twilight Time's having a sale right now. Is The Purple Rose of Cairo good or should I get Bunny Lake is Missing?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

You'll know it's the one with the womans because you got it out of the giant trash can with a sign that says "$7.88" at Walmart.

OW! MY CHILDHOOD!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jack Gladney posted:

Twilight Time's having a sale right now. Is The Purple Rose of Cairo good or should I get Bunny Lake is Missing?

Bunny Lake is fun, but Purple Rose is one of Allen's best films.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bunny Lake is fun, but Purple Rose is one of Allen's best films.

Don't get either of them and buy Emperor of the North instead.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I only own A Man for All Seasons and Love and Death. Excellent releases.

They just don't seem to have a lot of movies I'm that interested in. Although, I'd buy Bananas and Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex, but they seem more like something Kino or Olive would get from the MGM catalog.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

TheScott2K posted:

$3 more than I got the original for!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Nikita: The Complete Series is only $34

https://www.amazon.com/Nikita-Compl...9dd002418bce9e7

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

wa27 posted:

Is every Blu-Ray with the black 4K box real 4K, or do they issue fake 4K in that sometimes too?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

Is every Blu-Ray with the black 4K box real 4K, or do they issue fake 4K in that sometimes too?

The black cases are a guideline, but to be sure check for a logo.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Rastor posted:

The black cases are a guideline, but to be sure check for a logo.

But those can still be 4k upconverts from 2k elements, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Rofl this poo poo is bananas.

It really doesn't help that the industry decided to switch from vertical pixels to horizontal to make it sound more impressive, so when you say 2K it could mean either the 1920 horizontal pixels of 1080p, half of 4K (what the aforementioned Life of Pi is scaled from, correct?), or the 2160p vertical of 4K.

• Locked thread