Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

i've never seen a screenshot of what infinality does to fonts

I've used it a couple times and idk if there is much of a difference. Some fonts are unsupported so you might end up switching system fonts and it becoming a bunch of inconsistent poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Toady posted:

i like the new-old name. OS X used to look like a box of poison

That wasn't macOS, it was Mac OS X.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toady posted:

it basically was

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

my stepdads beer posted:

i've never seen a screenshot of what infinality does to fonts

It doesn't support video output yet, but the fonts look great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Toady posted:

that's what it was. its poison for your computer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

that's what it was. its poison for your computer

in the sense that it kills all the nasty bugs and viruses so you can enjoy your computer working safe and secure

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

http://takacsmark.com/the-top-5-linux-systems-for-elderly-people/

The problem is that windows and osx are just to confusing with files and apps and directories. The answer is linux. This is like saying "oh yeah she's getting old and having a hard time driving." Well have you tried using a crane as transport? Articles like this crack me up.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:iiaca:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Soricidus posted:

in the sense that it kills all the nasty bugs and viruses so you can enjoy your computer working safe and secure

youre not eschaton!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

youre not eschaton!

immanetize this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

youre not eschaton!

i'm a convert

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

i'm a convert

there is no fervor quite like it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm working on switching to i3wm which is great because I used to use xmonad but I lost my configs and I don't have time to figure all that poo poo out again.

but it means I'm on my own w/r/t all the gnome things I was depending on before, and it's dumb and sucks.

for instance, i am unironically having audio issues in linux in tyool 2016 on fedora, just because i switched window managers and used a gnome utility i use to run my DAC (lovely line out on my work laptop, i'm not an audio idiot). Now I've tried a bunch of things (pavucontrol, etc), and all of them identify the DAC, allow me to select it as an audio output, and then just merrily continue piping audio out of my speakers.

if I switch into gnome and toggle the output, and then switch back to i3, it works! until I unplug the DAC and then I have to reboot completely to get it to come back.

also i'm using the gnome network tool and it works great except for picking a VPN because for some loving reason the thing it pops up to input your VPN pin is some full screen overlay bullshit, which i3 clearly doesn't support because it freaks out if I try to use it.

I have used the vpnc in the past but it drops my connections all the time and if I try to SSH into any thing inside the VPN, it dies. I know there is a simple solution that involves configuring things but I don't want everything to work.

anyhow all of this stuff is easily solved but gently caress I just want to use the keyboard to arrange my windows, gently caress man

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i3wm is nice though, it's super loving simple to setup and the defaults are super nice (although for some reason it uses vim keys but shifted around in some loving stupid way so I had to fix that). it handles multiple monitors exactly the way I want right out of the box, which is a surprise. in xmonad you needed a phd to use multiple monitors.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm working on switching to i3wm which is great because I used to use xmonad but I lost my configs and I don't have time to figure all that poo poo out again.

but it means I'm on my own w/r/t all the gnome things I was depending on before, and it's dumb and sucks.

for instance, i am unironically having audio issues in linux in tyool 2016 on fedora, just because i switched window managers and used a gnome utility i use to run my DAC (lovely line out on my work laptop, i'm not an audio idiot). Now I've tried a bunch of things (pavucontrol, etc), and all of them identify the DAC, allow me to select it as an audio output, and then just merrily continue piping audio out of my speakers.

if I switch into gnome and toggle the output, and then switch back to i3, it works! until I unplug the DAC and then I have to reboot completely to get it to come back.

also i'm using the gnome network tool and it works great except for picking a VPN because for some loving reason the thing it pops up to input your VPN pin is some full screen overlay bullshit, which i3 clearly doesn't support because it freaks out if I try to use it.

I have used the vpnc in the past but it drops my connections all the time and if I try to SSH into any thing inside the VPN, it dies. I know there is a simple solution that involves configuring things but I don't want everything to work.

anyhow all of this stuff is easily solved but gently caress I just want to use the keyboard to arrange my windows, gently caress man

Try using pacmd and nmcli if you really have to use some weirdo setup like that

Also have you considered just using GNOME like what passes for a normal person using Linux on the laptop and also not giving so much of a poo poo about window janitoring

Most of the window janitoring you'll realistically want to do on a laptop boils down to "Maximize this window" or "Maximize these two windows side by side" which is covered by Super+Up, Super+Left, and Super+Right

Also make sure you install enable the Alternate Tab extension from Gnome Tweak Tool because the default Alt-Tab behaviour is pants on head retarded.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well i've been using gnome for the last year and it's mostly been fine but i'll go ahead and play this card and say that I have a special brain that is extremely disorganized and so usually i have like 20 terminals open and multiple browsers. People say "how do you keep track of all of those windows" and the answer is: I don't. I just have to be able to move through them as quickly as possible to find whatever I'm looking for.

A few years ago I discovered tmux and that's more or less solved my issue of having 20 terminals open at one time (plus the benefits of a shared buffer and stuff). But I get super frustrated when I have to jump between the terminal and other things and tiling window managers are good so that's what i'm going to do.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i3wm is nice though, it's super loving simple to setup and the defaults are super nice (although for some reason it uses vim keys but shifted around in some loving stupid way so I had to fix that). it handles multiple monitors exactly the way I want right out of the box, which is a surprise. in xmonad you needed a phd to use multiple monitors.

multiple monitors was pretty easy on xmonad iirc. because you have 1-9 desktops, you could just put your mouse on a monitor and set it to the desktop number desired, and the same goes for the other monitor. i know i had it set up so i could easily switch monitors with some other keystroke so no need to even use the mouse at that point. either way it was frustrating at first but eventually i developed the habit

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Few days into using fedora and dnf actually kinda owns/seems a lot better than apt. Looking to gain a good enough understanding of selinux through all this.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Few days into using fedora and dnf actually kinda owns/seems a lot better than apt. Looking to gain a good enough understanding of selinux through all this.

The only thing you need to know is how to turn it off

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
selinux is great but if you know enough of it to make it useful then you are a greasy graybeard in your own right

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

celeron 300a posted:

The only thing you need to know is how to turn it off
This is bad and wrong.

celeron 300a posted:

selinux is great but if you know enough of it to make it useful then you are a greasy graybeard in your own right

This is true.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

https://youtu.be/cNoVgDqqJmM

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

fedora comes with a sane selinux config ootb

you don't really have to understand it to fix bugs in the policy, you just click the little doohickey in the system tray and it tells you waht to do

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

have u tried Microsoft Windows lol? it's made for windows

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Try looking after an "Auto-mute mode Enable/Disable" in alsamixer, disable it, and then adjust speaker out afterwards

Edit: or enable it, whatever works

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 19, 2016

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Remember to choose your actual sound card and not the pulseaudio one with F6

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

yeah, i still need to watch this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rooney McNibnug posted:

yeah, i still need to watch this.

It's a good and cool video for sure.

I had to make my own custom policy for my embedded project, so I wish they had a more advanced video on that subject because that was a pain in the rear end to learn how to do.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

looking forward to getting my companies product distro agnostic so I can focus on making it work around SElinux.

ratbert90 posted:

It's a good and cool video for sure.

I had to make my own custom policy for my embedded project, so I wish they had a more advanced video on that subject because that was a pain in the rear end to learn how to do.

isn't there a book out there that's up to date? is the online documentation half decent? this video can't be the only decent thing out there

b0red fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 19, 2016

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

online docs are ok. i've used red hat's documentation along with others to troubleshoot and while studying for their computer janitor licence. i'm not sure how comprehensive it is, however, and i'd also like a text. digging around for 10 seconds brought up :nsa: , though not actually useful or up to date https://web.archive.org/web/20160305103603/https://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/docs.shtml

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how do you install stuff offline in fedora? or at least restrict dnf to a specific mirror that i can whitelist

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

create a local repository

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how do you install stuff offline in fedora? or at least restrict dnf to a specific mirror that i can whitelist

You can find all of your repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d

If you want to disable a repo, just edit the files and set "enabled = 0" for the repo you don't want.

If you have a repo of your own, add it to that directory.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
If you want to install an RPM, just specify the RPM file with "dnf install" and it should work.

code:
sudo dnf install tuxracer-0.61a.fc23.x86_64.rpm
If you completely want to eschew any networking stuff altogether, try using RPM. But it won't resolve missing dependencies for you.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

celeron 300a posted:

You can find all of your repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d

If you want to disable a repo, just edit the files and set "enabled = 0" for the repo you don't want.

If you have a repo of your own, add it to that directory.

i want to disable the random mirrors though. i googled around and apparently it can't be done?

celeron 300a posted:

If you want to install an RPM, just specify the RPM file with "dnf install" and it should work.

code:
sudo dnf install tuxracer-0.61a.fc23.x86_64.rpm
If you completely want to eschew any networking stuff altogether, try using RPM. But it won't resolve missing dependencies for you.

thanks. are locally installed rpms treated special by the package manager? i.e. will it bite me in the rear end later?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you may have to deal with updates yourself if the package doesn't have an associated repository that's up to date. if by chance a later package depends on a different version of this package's dependencies then thing can break, but this problem isn't unique. and having too many lone or source installs can complicate things later, but this is also a problem of installing a lot of poo poo in general

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
is dnf's fastestmirror still busted to poo poo? I seem to remember it being some god awful implementation where it would ping all the hosts and take the one with the lowest ping and bam that's your mirror for 30 days with no global configuration for disabling :shepface:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i want to disable the random mirrors though. i googled around and apparently it can't be done?

I don't know if this will work for fedora but it does for centos. I can't check right now since I'm phone posting and my fedora rig is at home.

Try commenting out "mirrorlist" entries in the repos and enabling "baseurl". This should allow stuff like squid caching or dns spoofing (so that you can point to your own server) to work. You can also just change baseurl to point to your own server (but it might be better to simply disable all repos and create new custom repos).

quote:

thanks. are locally installed rpms treated special by the package manager? i.e. will it bite me in the rear end later?

When you do an update, I believe your stuff just gets replaced if there is a newer version.

If you want to freeze a package version to prevent that, maybe try "dnf versionlock"?

It's a plugin that used to be for yum, but it was supposedly moved over to dnf.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

a locally installed RPM is no different from a previously installed RPM that was deleted from the upstream repository

so it could bite you in the rear end but it probably won't

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ahmeni posted:

is dnf's fastestmirror still busted to poo poo? I seem to remember it being some god awful implementation where it would ping all the hosts and take the one with the lowest ping and bam that's your mirror for 30 days with no global configuration for disabling :shepface:

Works fine for me. :shrug:

To be fair, if it was busted to poo poo, that's because yum's implementation was busted to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

looking forward to getting my companies product distro agnostic so I can focus on making it work around SElinux.

isn't there a book out there that's up to date? is the online documentation half decent? this video can't be the only decent thing out there

Well, not... really. At least not that I could find.

What I was doing (and did) was I wanted to create a "system_u:object_r:mycompany_t" context for security purposes. That isn't covered very well that I could find. Although that was a year or so ago, so perhaps documentation has become better.