Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lord of the Rings has a similar pattern of being really bad with numbers, but it doesn't stand out as much since Tolkien wasn't trying to think tactically or show technological growth. Mostly he just wanted to cover massive spans of time so he could chart out the evolution of his imaginary languages.

Keep in mind, at least one version of his stories that were made into the Silmarillion has the Numenoreans maintaining a colonial empire using stuff like modern-ish battleships, and also mentiones orcs using what sounds awfully lot like tanks while attacking an elven city. He himself was never quite sure about what he wanted the bygone era before LotR to be, but LotR is effectively set in a post-apocalyptic setting in a world devastated by a war of gods that destroyed the most populated continent, and the one remaining advanced human civilization got Atlantis-d at the peak of its power later on, with only a handful of survivors fleeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This thread is very frustrating: it has made my standards too high. I am now stuck with the urge to retroactively smack the head of every history teacher I ever had that made ww1 boring, and every poster on the net waffling about how Tolkien's works are Bad because they celebrate a regressive culture and were written by a sheltered academic. Sigh.

E:for the grammars

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 19, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I like Game of Thrones. Pretty sure I like LotR, too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I mean that's interesting but the double armed man was also a contemporary military theory. People were trying all kinds of garbage things (and, more importantly, writing down every harebrained idea) in the early modern period.
those dudes were obviously wrong, but my point is if a bunch of French people can look at existing trends and make that extrapolation, it says something about the importance of sieges in their warfare and in their ideas about warfare even though the prediction turned out to be false

Tree Bucket posted:

This thread is very frustrating: it has made my standards too high. I am now stuck with the urge to retroactively smack the head of every history teacher I ever had that made ww1 boring, and every poster on the net waffling about how Tolkien's works are Bad because they celebrate a regressive culture and were written by a sheltered academic. Sigh.

E:for the grammars
LOTR owns the past owns

and Tolkein was only a sheltered academic if the trench in his area was good

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

JcDent posted:

I like Game of Thrones. Pretty sure I like LotR, too.

They're cool and good. I don't really understand why people try to rationalize fictional worlds, then rate those fictional worlds based on how well they can rationalize them.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

and Tolkein was only a sheltered academic if the trench in his area was good

Tolkien was also incredibly poor for a long period of his life.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kemper Boyd posted:

Tolkien was also incredibly poor for a long period of his life.

That's interesting. Like, genuinely poverty-stricken?
There's a really heartbreaking line after Sam helps Frodo escape the tower, and tells Frodo that thinking about the ordeal will only make it worse. (Can't remember the exact wording.) It's easy to imagine a young Tolkien being given the same advice in the trenches.
Tolkien always comes across as such a sensitive person. I will never understand how he came out of the war with his sanity and genius intact.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

That's interesting. Like, genuinely poverty-stricken?

His father died when he was four, leaving the family with no income. Wikipedia unfortunately doesn't go into a lot of details, but the family survived because they happened to have relatives (not rich relatives, mind you) who could support them. His mother died when he was 12.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Tree Bucket posted:

This thread is very frustrating: it has made my standards too high. I am now stuck with the urge to retroactively smack the head of every history teacher I ever had that made ww1 boring,

Word. My WW1 education: Poems, trenches, treaty of Versailles.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you want to find the headmaster
I know where he is, I know where he is, I know where he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K1BdDVvV9Q

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They're cool and good. I don't really understand why people try to rationalize fictional worlds, then rate those fictional worlds based on how well they can rationalize them.
it's a fun game, like how i wonder how the events of the 1632 series would have gone down if the writers weren't almost all idiots

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

If you want to find the headmaster
I know where he is, I know where he is, I know where he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K1BdDVvV9Q
Trin, do you...um...ever read or do anything happy? are you feeling ok

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Sorry if this was covered in the past 20 trillion pages but it's something I've always wondered about. Josef Stalin was one of the most paranoid people to ever live. He purged his army officers,cabinet members,party officials, etc. So why did he believe that Adolf Hitler would stick to their Non Aggression Pact?

I'll add that Stalin's paranoia wasn't of the form that he trusted nobody. In each of those purges there was a band of apparatchiks that benefited. What he generally feared was opposition or potential opposition to his power, but people sucking up to him could earn his protection, especially if they fingered someone else as the true threat. Allying with Germany appealed because it fed into his distrust of the British and the rest of the capitalist West. Once Stalin decided he liked someone, he can be quite stubborn about it even if the evidence pointed otherwise.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 19, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fangz posted:

I'll add that Stalin's paranoia wasn't of the form that he trusted nobody. In each of those purges there was a band of apparatchiks that benefited. What he generally feared was opposition or potential opposition to his power, but people sucking up to him could earn his protection, especially if they fingered someone else as the true threat. Allying with Germany appealed because it fed into his distrust of the British and the rest of the capitalist West. Once Stalin decided he liked someone, he can be quite stubborn about it even if the evidence pointed otherwise.

After the first week of the invasion, Stalin was pretty much on point and ready to go to fight the war.

So, the Nazi-Soviet pact wasn't viewed the same way the whole duration of it. People tend to think that thought is just one way, monolithic, but basically, in the last eight months of the pact both sides had a pretty good idea war was coming. The fight over Bessarabia basically ended any notion of continuing and by the time that happened, Hitler was already looking eastward. It was not an alliance bound to last because neither side gained very much. Stalin was always shorting Hitler raw materials and Hitler was always shorting Stalin on the technical expertise and finished goods, even in the first year of the pact when both sides seemed on board with it. Even back then, people were considering it very odd that the two sides who'd fought a massive propaganda war for most of the 30s ends up making a pact. It was a lot like Lenin justifying obedience to the treaty of Brest-Litovsk while the Germans were still strong, which came off as a lot weaker than his earlier stuff.

That was one of the earlier disagreements- Trotsky wanted to do "No war, no peace" after hearing the terms the Germans wanted but by 1918 there wasn't enough left to defend the country. If Kerensky had taken that approach he probably would never have been ousted because in 1917 there was still a Russian Army to resist the Germans. Then again, the Entente powers would've had a shitfit if the Russians quit out like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

Trin, do you...um...ever read or do anything happy? are you feeling ok

The Somme is coming. We all get a little mopey and sad when we think of that day :smith:.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SeanBeansShako posted:

The Somme is coming. We all get a little mopey and sad when we think of that day :smith:.

There's the French at the Somme, who actually met their objectives. Sucks to be you, brits.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What ARE the objectives of the Somme? Haig seems to be making it up as he goes along to fit whoever he talked to last.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

What ARE the objectives of the Somme? Haig seems to be making it up as he goes along to fit whoever he talked to last.

To move Haig's liquor cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fangz posted:

Voroshilov outright blamed him for the Soviet defeats in the Winter War to his face at a dinner and survived. He also flew Budenny out of the collapsing Kiev Pocket in 1941 because reasons.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He also flew Budenny out of the collapsing Kiev Pocket in 1941 because reasons.
quick, send him back in

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
But that moustache is a Russian cultural artifact.

Just somehow take it from him THEN send him back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SeanBeansShako posted:

But that moustache is a Russian cultural artifact.

Just somehow take it from him THEN send him back.

A death mask, but only for the moustache region? A moustache mask?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This might sound weird, but I think people sometimes attribute too much of Stalin's (and Hitler's and Churchill's and...) decisionmaking to his personal traits, rather than to the imperfect information he had available to him and how the choices he made relate to the overall goals he was working on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A guy I used to work for is doing research on a student who was attending Indiana University, got recalled to Germany to fight in WWII, and died during the war.

He's asked for help translating (my German is really rough) the person's service history. It would also be awesome if any of you have knowledge of what the units were involved in during the deceased's time of service.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
What are the best military histories of the Vietnam War?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mlmp08 posted:

A guy I used to work for is doing research on a student who was attending Indiana University, got recalled to Germany to fight in WWII, and died during the war.

He's asked for help translating (my German is really rough) the person's service history. It would also be awesome if any of you have knowledge of what the units were involved in during the deceased's time of service.

Looks like he spent his career in Germany until being sent to the area of Leningrad in 1943 and got killed as the Germans were being forced back into Estonia. Narwa is the German spelling of Narva, which is right on the border.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Looks like he spent his career in Germany until being sent to the area of Leningrad in 1943

More specifically in Shlisselburg area, the narrow area that cut Leningrad off from 1941 to January 1943 when Soviets launched Operation Iskra. Our Freiherr was wounded there and was hospitalized until March 1943 after which he was sent to a replacement battalion and then presumably to the Estonian front.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

my dad posted:

This might sound weird, but I think people sometimes attribute too much of Stalin's (and Hitler's and Churchill's and...) decisionmaking to his personal traits, rather than to the imperfect information he had available to him and how the choices he made relate to the overall goals he was working on.

I have a document from a "reliable source" from Germany saying that an attack is imminent where Stalin wrote "tell your source to go gently caress himself" over it, so maybe it was a little to do with his personal traits.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

my dad posted:

Generally, the reason their decisionmaking is critiqued as such is because they had reliable information available to them but ignored it because it contradicted their personal opinions or tastes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ensign Expendable posted:

I have a document from a "reliable source" from Germany saying that an attack is imminent where Stalin wrote "tell your source to go gently caress himself" over it, so maybe it was a little to do with his personal traits.

Oh, he was a paranoid nutcase, and I'm sure he hosed up a lot because of it, the situation you mention included. It's just that sometimes seems to me that people attribute all of his mistakes to his personal hosed-up-ness even when there's another good explanation for them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Enh, a lot of what we look at now as 'reliable information' is only reliable in retrospect.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Sep 39 - received his dog tags at 3./Infantry Replacement Bn 469 in Eutin, Holstein. Rank: Feldwebel.
Nov 29, 39 - sent off to 12./Inf Reg 391 of 170th ID
7. Mar 40 - 3./Inf Reg 401, 170th ID confirms his arrival
Jan 13 1943 staff officer of Infantry Regiment 401 with a rank of Oberleutnant. Posted to the Schlüsselburg area, near Leningrad. WIA, spent time in military hospitals until Mar 3, 1943, then posted to Grenadier replacement Bn 47 at Lüneburg.
Mar 2, 1944 KIA at Toila near Narva, Estonia. Rank: Hauptmann. Buried in the cemetery of Toila, Estonia
promoted to Major effective Mar 1, 1944

Home address: Stepfather Dr. Hans Fusban, Essen-Bredeney, Grashofstr. 16

There are plenty of dubious internet sources on what 31 and 170 ID were up to, or, if you want better than that, you could hit up the military archives at Freiburg maybe?

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/bundesarchiv/dienstorte/freiburg/index.html.en

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 19, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Thank you all for the replies and info!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

it's a fun game, like how i wonder how the events of the 1632 series would have gone down if the writers weren't almost all idiots

You're basically writing your own story at that point, one where rationalization is more applicable because its the literal real world morphing into the historical real world. A more productive enterprise than "Well in the 1632 universe, time travel MUST be possible because X".

You could even flip the direction of rationalization, and let the 30YW reality override our own. Then follows the argument "In the 1632 universe, time travel is possible because Tilly is a wizard.", which is impregnable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You're basically writing your own story at that point, one where rationalization is more applicable because its the literal real world morphing into the historical real world. A more productive enterprise than "Well in the 1632 universe, time travel MUST be possible because X".

You could even flip the direction of rationalization, and let the 30YW reality override our own. Then follows the argument "In the 1632 universe, time travel is possible because Tilly is a wizard.", which is impregnable.

It's funnier if it's Wallenstein and both what he's asking for, what he gets, and how they actually do make sense as a pair only make sense to him.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

... let the 30YW reality override our own.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I need those hats in my life

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Bazookas and Kar98k's side by side. Truly this 30 years war of the future-present-past is a confusing conflict.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, a question for WW2 buffs in the thread: Yamamoto is constantly quoted as saying stuff along the lines of 'We're 100% hosed in the long run if fight against US and UK.' Is this being exaggerated to make a story, or did the rest of Japanese leadership really just ignore what he was telling them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Tree Bucket posted:

I need those hats in my life

There's been some discussion here recently about what marks the transition from "medieval" warfare to "early modern" warfare. Many good points were made about the increased importance of gunpowder, the growth of the fiscal-military state, etc., but I think the truly critical point of distinction between the two eras is that the hats were much better in the early modern period.

• Locked thread