Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Are there any good one vs. many games other than Descent/Imp rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gimnbo posted:

Tragedy Looper.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah Tragedy Looper is probably the best 1vMany game.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Level 7: Omega Protocol
Fury of Dracula

Both awesome. As is Tragedy Looper

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gimnbo posted:

The entire genre of Hidden Traitor games technically counts here. The likes of Battlestar Galactica, The Resistance, Shadows over Camelot, and Dead of Winter all are one vs many!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

You're potentially half right.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Got to do a 4 player game of food chain magnate yesterday. I had two dollars going into the second last turn and ended with over $450 after blanketing the entire board in a double-burger radio campaign :getin:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

Descent isn't good as a one vs. many experience, in my opinion. The balance is too swingy, and the overlord's playing a different and way less fun game where they are incentivized to be janky as gently caress if they want to win and don't get cool upgrades and such. Supposedly the Road to Legend app makes it good as a pure coop, which I will be investigating soon hopefully.

Imperial Assault's cool, though. At least from my two or three sessions with it so far.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ImpAss is another game where the mission design is so tight that the Imperial game master player has to play awkwardly to keep up with the heroes. It's just something you have to accept with those games, that you're not sitting down to "win" but to create an enjoyable experience because in no way are the rules or scenarios balanced.

I'll tell anyone who wants to play "a better Descent" to find someone offloading a truckload of D&D minis/encounters. Wizards ran an entire system for one-shot/campaign dungeon crawlers and now that stuff can be had for pennies.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

From the latest SUSD review I can guess that Quinn would not be a fan of 18XX :v:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Selesctive rule teaching is cheating, but 90% of the time it is imagined by dumbasses who didn't pay attention.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 19, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

How unpopular is Dominion: Alchemy?

This unpopular: I went to a new boardgames shop which had a special offer: buy the base set, get Alchemy free. There were no base sets on the shelf, or any other expansions, but three copies of Alchemy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

House Louse posted:

How unpopular is Dominion: Alchemy?

This unpopular: I went to a new boardgames shop which had a special offer: buy the base set, get Alchemy free. There were no base sets on the shelf, or any other expansions, but three copies of Alchemy.

Alchemy gets widely panned as the worst Dominion expansion. People really didn't end up liking the Potions as a second buying resource.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also the things that you buy with potions do silly things and slow the game down like nobody's business.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What assets from the game do you actually need to have to use Descent: Road to Legend? I used to own the game and I'm really curious to try the app out, but nowadays I only have the Vassal module handy. I think that has everything but the back of the monster cards in it, though.

I keep meaning to get together a weekly group online to play through Imperial Assault the same way, but dealing with a weird timezone isn't helping.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

You would still need the monster abilities.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

drat it. Maybe there's a wiki somewhere.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Durendal posted:

You would still need the monster abilities.

I don't think so. You can click on a monster in the app and the info option tells you the abilities of the monsters. I haven't looked at it closely as we've been using the cards but I think it would give you everything you need.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So apparently there was another edition of Stronghold made while i wasn't looking? It is worth a buy for somebody that already has the first edition? From what i've seen the new artwork is bad but i like some of the new mechanics.

I recall rumblings of them reprinting/redoing the rare undead expansion if this edition does well. I would wait until then to buy in if you enjoy the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ignore the messy pile of chips at the end of the table!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bit of a long shot here but I'm sure there's a game like this. Anyone know of a game that is Don't Starve-like? Kind of like start with nothing and slowly build up an established settlement in the wilderness, with the environment trying to kill you. Can be coop or competitive.

I've done a bit of googling and it looks like 7th Continent has that vibe, and although I'd like to own/play it, I was kind of looking for something to play and finish in one evening.

Ideas?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Selesctive rule teaching is cheating, but 90% of the time it is imagined by dumbasses who didn't pay attention.

Sometimes you have to teach as you go because the game is too complicated to explain in one shot.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

al-azad posted:

ImpAss is another game where the mission design is so tight that the Imperial game master player has to play awkwardly to keep up with the heroes. It's just something you have to accept with those games, that you're not sitting down to "win" but to create an enjoyable experience because in no way are the rules or scenarios balanced.

I'll tell anyone who wants to play "a better Descent" to find someone offloading a truckload of D&D minis/encounters. Wizards ran an entire system for one-shot/campaign dungeon crawlers and now that stuff can be had for pennies.

I've been playing the Imperials in Imperial Assault and I've won so far, but I've never felt like I had the game on lock or like I had to handicap myself just to keep it interesting. Conversely, I've never been incentivized to do weird bullshit because the scenario objectives are built around the sort of pitched battles that we're there for in the first place instead of being completely orthogonal to them. Also, I get neat toys and upgrades too. Descent didn't really have that.

Entirely possible that will change, of course.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How much of Robinson Crusoe is "lol random stuff happens" story generator and how much is player agency and mechanics? The theme and idea of building your camp and tools to handle various threats and situations appeals to me a lot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

How much of Robinson Crusoe is "lol random stuff happens" story generator and how much is player agency and mechanics? The theme and idea of building your camp and tools to handle various threats and situations appeals to me a lot.

The issues I've heard wrt Robinson Crusoe is that the game is out of balance, sometimes there will be easy events, sometimes harder, and it just produces a game that doesn't work that well.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Beffer posted:

I don't think so. You can click on a monster in the app and the info option tells you the abilities of the monsters. I haven't looked at it closely as we've been using the cards but I think it would give you everything you need.

I remember having to reference stuff like the different type of elementals. Maybe that's just an edge case.

Tekopo posted:

Ignore the messy pile of chips at the end of the table!

drat that looks good. Too bad I still can't get it here in the US.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 19, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bottom Liner posted:

The secret truth about Robinson Crusoe is that it's actually a very well-disguised press your luck game about trying to work out exactly how much of your problems you can push off dealing with until later, until your roof collapses in a storm and everyone dies because you needed that wood for a shovel, or until everyone is eaten by a tiger you knew was on the island, because you wanted Friday's help with building the roof instead of making more weapons, or a hundred other different possible dooms you didn't stop because you were too busy stopping these other problems.

It's the board game equivalent of juggling greased knives, I love it for that, and I enjoyed it greatly as a solo game.

BUT

It's also very much a campaign game. If everyone loses, you're all walking away with the knowledge of how to do better next time. Trying to play it as a one-play experience is a recipe for bad times, where the defeat isn't empowering or encouraging, it just makes you feel like you wasted three hours.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 19, 2016

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

The secret truth about Robinson Crusoe is that it's actually a very well-disguised press your luck game about trying to work out exactly how much of your problems you can push off dealing with until later, until your roof collapses in a storm and everyone dies because you needed that wood for a shovel, or until everyone is eaten by a tiger you knew was on the island, because you wanted Friday's help with building the roof instead of making more weapons, or a hundred other different possible dooms you didn't stop because you were too busy stopping these other problems.

It's the board game equivalent of juggling greased knives, I love it for that, and I enjoyed it greatly as a solo game.

BUT

It's also very much a campaign game. If everyone loses, you're all walking away with the knowledge of how to do better next time. Trying to play it as a one-play experience is a recipe for bad times, where the defeat isn't empowering or encouraging, it just makes you feel like you wasted three hours.

I'm very much looking forward to First Martians because while Robinson Crusoe sounds like something I'd love, the martian theme just appeals to be a bit more.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lichtenstein posted:

Or by dumbasses who taught the game wrong. (It's me, I'm the one who mixed up the produce and trade symbols in Eminent Domain while teaching it)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

BUT

As opposed to the well known truth about Robinson Crusoe, which is that it's a piss poor experience generator where the game's innate tendency to poo poo on your face is mitigated only partially by its obscene capacity to be quarterbacked.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sokrateez posted:

Bit of a long shot here but I'm sure there's a game like this. Anyone know of a game that is Don't Starve-like? Kind of like start with nothing and slowly build up an established settlement in the wilderness, with the environment trying to kill you. Can be coop or competitive.

I've done a bit of googling and it looks like 7th Continent has that vibe, and although I'd like to own/play it, I was kind of looking for something to play and finish in one evening.

Ideas?

If you use your imagination than Agricola can become this game for you, its not technically about "solo wilderness" survival, but it is definitely about survival (and the game is totally trying to kill you). Of course you also might like Robinson Crusoe, which is pretty much exactly what you want!

Poison Mushroom posted:

BUT

Whew! I'm glad someone else appreciates Robinson Crusoe! It's a very solid and tight game that uses randomness very sparingly to good effect. But some people have dice phobia I guess :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God dammit, I genuinely agree with Rutibex about something. :cripes:

Jedit is right though (what the gently caress is with this post), the game does have a pretty bad quarterbacking problem.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Robinson Crusoe involves a lot of luck, but as Poison Mushroom pointed out, you need a few games to figure out how to best mitigate that luck. The gameplay reflects the theme very well.

People complain about quarterbacking in every co-op game ever made. Stop blaming the games and blame the dickheads you play with. If you can't do that, you can still avoid the issue altogether by playing solo.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Sokrateez posted:

Ideas?

I can tell you that I've found virtually nothing in this vein in either the board game or RPG side of things. Sorry :(

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
4 people are playing Mage wars in my store right now. I feel like I've seen a unicorn.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sokrateez posted:

Ideas?

Agricola is very close except the environment isn't trying to kill you and you have the fortune to start with a hut.

7th Continent is a CYOA book in board game form unfortunately.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
The thing that soured me on Robinson Crusoe is that a bunch of the decks have both good and bad cards in them, often leading to giant swings in difficulty. For instance, you can end up spending a bunch of resources to be able to pull an artifact only for it to be bad.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Robinson Crusoe is best as solitaire because its mechanics actively encourage wonky quarterbacking and one person taking control of everything so they get the order of play 'right'. It's pretty good as solitaire, too, but there's better things to drop money on.

Stelas posted:

drat it. Maybe there's a wiki somewhere.

I'd forgotten about the excellent http://www.descentinthedark.com/2nd/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ImpactVector posted:

The thing that soured me on Robinson Crusoe is that a bunch of the decks have both good and bad cards in them, often leading to giant swings in difficulty. For instance, you can end up spending a bunch of resources to be able to pull an artifact only for it to be bad.

Eww. That does sound awful. I hate games where the payoff of a lot of work can fail because of RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's especially funny since Vlaada explicitly told the RC designer how dumb of an idea that was.