Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Literally The Worst posted:

I think that big titties are the only thing that give existence meaning

pookel posted:

Actually they just make life kind of awkward and uncomfortable, and also you have to spend a lot of money on bras. :(

Meaning is pain, so this checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The Vosgian Beast posted:

"I think the American Health Care System=Human exist as such"

Like a lot, a lot of American works. Universal healthcare will send American writers in a panic

It reminds me of The 10th Victim, a sci-fi comedy/thriller set in a future utopia where wars have been replaced by an international televised bloodsport... but the protagonist can't legally divorce his Italian wife, because when the movie was made, legal divorce in Italy was unimaginable (it was made legal 5 years later, in 1970, and put to a popular vote in 1974 - it was upheld)

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jun 17, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hackbunny posted:

Like a lot, a lot of American works. Universal healthcare will send American writers in a panic

It reminds me of The 10th Victim, a sci-fi comedy/thriller set in a future utopia where wars have been replaced by an international televised bloodsport... but the protagonist can't legally divorce his Italian wife, because when the movie was made, legal divorce in Italy was unimaginable (it was made legal 5 years later)

Or like I recently read a story from the Arabian Nights where there was a magic mirror that could protect one from dysentery and evil spirits, and those were both put on the same level.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

the story was just "I think the American Health Care System=Human exist as such"

I can't figure out what this sentence means. Could you rephrase that?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

neonnoodle posted:

Speaking of Ligotti, nihilism, etc.

It's semi off-topic but I am looking forward to the new published version of Sick by Gabby Schulz. He is very influenced by Ligotti and has a fair bit of history dealing with the Internet poo poo brigade.

admiral nummytums is a great name for a cat and count chocula should go die in a hole

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

Meaning is pain

hail satan, dehumanize and face to bloodshed

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Curvature of Earth posted:

I can't figure out what this sentence means. Could you rephrase that?

The dystopian state of American healthcare makes Americans think that human existence is more about suffering and twists of fate than it actually is

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

hackbunny posted:

The dystopian state of American healthcare makes Americans think that human existence is more about suffering and twists of fate than it actually is

Ah, okay. Thanks!

Ironically, that story works pretty well if you read it as a story about depression.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

"Mr. Mean Spirited" couldn't handle someone like Sotos.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hackbunny posted:

It seemed vaguer because I mistyped "Existence" as "exist"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

hackbunny posted:

It reminds me of The 10th Victim, a sci-fi comedy/thriller set in a future utopia where wars have been replaced by an international televised bloodsport... but the protagonist can't legally divorce his Italian wife, because when the movie was made, legal divorce in Italy was unimaginable (it was made legal 5 years later, in 1970, and put to a popular vote in 1974 - it was upheld)
That was the sort of thing I noticed about 2001 - '60s filmmakers could easily picture humans in space, but couldn't imagine women being anything but secretaries.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

That was the sort of thing I noticed about 2001 - '60s filmmakers could easily picture humans in space, but couldn't imagine women being anything but secretaries.

Sometimes they'd be really progressive, and the women would be biologists or doctors, but they would still be expected to get coffee for the other scientists and defer to them in all situations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Sometimes they'd be really progressive, and the women would be biologists or doctors, but they would still be expected to get coffee for the other scientists and defer to them in all situations.
To be fair, that's still pretty accurate.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I gotta admit Star Trek was pretty neat for the time, having a black woman on the bridge crew as well as a russian guy at the height of the cold war.

I mean it's not like Star Trek wasn't sexist in its own special ways but that's always struck me as pretty ahead of its time, idk.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I gotta admit Star Trek was pretty neat for the time, having a black woman on the bridge crew as well as a russian guy at the height of the cold war.

I mean it's not like Star Trek wasn't sexist in its own special ways but that's always struck me as pretty ahead of its time, idk.

Shatner and Nimoy were both Jewish guys too, and don't forget they had a Japanese guy playing an indeterminate Asian.

Gene Roddenberry was a big ol' fuckhead and it's only by luck that he doesn't have an even worse reputation than George Lucas, but classic Star Trek was impressively ahead of its time in a lot of ways.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

Then again, John Petrucci donates to the Heritage Foundation so maybe it's too late. :ohdear:

I know this is a few pages back but I can't find anything on google about this. Got any links?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Gene Roddenberry was a big ol' fuckhead and it's only by luck that he doesn't have an even worse reputation than George Lucas, but classic Star Trek was impressively ahead of its time in a lot of ways.

And the crew knew it. Remember that Star Trek is the show that had one of the first interracial kisses in all of American TV, mostly because Shatner deliberately flubbed the "don't show the actual kiss" alternate take that the studio demanded, so in the end they had to go with the actual on-screen snog.

Apparently the only angry letter they received was from a Southern guy who's response was "I am totally opposed to the mixing of the races. However, any time a red-blooded American boy like Captain Kirk gets a beautiful dame in his arms that looks like Uhura, he ain't gonna fight it." Which... yeah. As far as hate mail goes, that's pretty tame.

E: And they got a shitton of positive responses, just to make it clear.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
To add context, George Takei, who was still understandably in the closet at the time, actually asked Roddenberry why they wouldn't do a gay kiss, and he wanted to but thought it would get them instantly canceled.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

ikanreed posted:

To add context, George Takei, who was still understandably in the closet at the time, actually asked Roddenberry why they wouldn't do a gay kiss, and he wanted to but thought it would get them instantly canceled.

Trek's expression of LGBT identities in the 24th century has always been very, VERY subtle, probably because of that fear. During the first season of TNG, where they tried to make the mini-skirt women's uniform a thing, they had a person who appeared to be male wearing one in the background of a shot, and, of course, there was the episode where gender expression was considered a mental illness.

My favorite was DS9, though. They had a great moment in "Rules of Acquisition", where Dax found the idea of a male Ferengi having a crush on Quark completely normal. Then, of course, they did another coded episode, about Dax falling back in love with a former host's wife. That said, they fell into the "Let's make our evil women lesbians to titillate the straight dudes" trope with the Mirror Universe pretty hard, and there was never an openly gay bridge crew member.

That last part, however, might be because the last new crew for a Trek show was premiered in 2001. That was still an era where the idea of a same-sex couple on TV was considered controversial, and people wanted Will & Grace, the most tame, bougie , het-comforting, LGBT series ever envisioned, off the air because even the idea of a gay man on the TV-box was too much for a depressingly large amount of people.

Apparently CBS is putting out a new Star Trek next year, and despite the fact that they're CBS, I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least one LGBT crew member.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hermetic posted:

Apparently CBS is putting out a new Star Trek next year, and despite the fact that they're CBS, I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least one LGBT crew member.

Like the showrunner, Bryan Fuller.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Like the showrunner, Bryan Fuller.

When I say "crew", I mean of the ship/station. Not, like, the actual film crew. Should have been more specific, I suppose.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
They should just embrace the 60s/70s setting and make the freaky New Wave Sci-fi show TOS was always straining to be. Totally trippy and queer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Count Chocula posted:

They should just embrace the 60s/70s setting and make the freaky New Wave Sci-fi show TOS was always straining to be. Totally trippy and queer.

This has always been the vibe of Harlan Ellison getting his filthy hands on Trek.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hermetic posted:

Trek's expression of LGBT identities in the 24th century has always been very, VERY subtle, probably because of that fear. During the first season of TNG, where they tried to make the mini-skirt women's uniform a thing, they had a person who appeared to be male wearing one in the background of a shot, and, of course, there was the episode where gender expression was considered a mental illness.

They actually had a bunch of extras wearing them in the first season, and the men's version was a bit different from the women's version, so it was a regulation men's miniskirt. I think J. Michael Straczynski said he wanted to have gay couples appear as extras in shots of the civilian areas of Babylon 5 (as well as the implied lesbian romance between Ivanova and Talia Winters) but that was still something you couldn't really do on '90s television.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

So did the shooter being Muslim stave off Mansophere think pieces about how the killer was an omega incel whose life, and the lives of others, would have been saved if he had just learned Game or not grown up in a feminized society?

Or are we going to get those regardless?

Update: he's a total alpha player with an instinctive grasp of Game

https://archive.is/H2XoL

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Update: he's a total alpha player with an instinctive grasp of Game

https://archive.is/H2XoL

Yeah, these muslim guys are dangerous, not just because of the obvious terroristic threat they pose, as with the Orlando shooting. The other factor has to do with their solid frame and inner game. They won’t cede an inch to any woman. Any woman that’s lacking a strong alpha prospect in her love life will fall easily to such men. Even feminists.

edit:https://heartiste.wordpress.com/dating-market-value-test-for-men/

"15. What is your IQ?

Under 85: -1 point
85 to 110: 0 points
110 to 130: +1 point
130 to 145: 0 points
over 145: -1 point"

I'm gonna need someone to explain the thought process here

Pomp has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Jun 18, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people who claim to have a 150 IQ are lying about it and/or are the people who never shut up about IQ and are thus annoying as gently caress.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Woolie Wool posted:

They actually had a bunch of extras wearing them in the first season, and the men's version was a bit different from the women's version, so it was a regulation men's miniskirt. I think J. Michael Straczynski said he wanted to have gay couples appear as extras in shots of the civilian areas of Babylon 5 (as well as the implied lesbian romance between Ivanova and Talia Winters) but that was still something you couldn't really do on '90s television.

Yeah they had a bit on that where two guys were pretending to be on their honeymoon to get onto Mars later on too and nobody batted an eyelash.

So not great on the absolute scale but relative to what was out there at the time it was pretty good.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Woolie Wool posted:

Huh, I only noticed the one. Oh well, I guess I have to do a full rewatch now. Shucky darn.

And, yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was because Roddenberry was a homophobe, though he admits he had to unlearn a lot of society-instilled homophobia, I think. Like I said, this was an era where a show with a dude who almost never dated, and didn't kiss another man onscreen until halfway through the second season (and even then, it was a kiss for comedy with no romance behind it), was considered controversial. If DS9 had decided to, say, have something come of Garak's flirting with Bashir, the show would have gone off the air faster than you can say "modulate the deflector array".

(Actually, if memory serves, some Trek fans were put off because they felt Garak acted too "gay" for their tastes. How the gently caress can you watch STAR TREK and be that close-minded??)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Pomp posted:

Yeah, these muslim guys are dangerous, not just because of the obvious terroristic threat they pose, as with the Orlando shooting. The other factor has to do with their solid frame and inner game. They won’t cede an inch to any woman. Any woman that’s lacking a strong alpha prospect in her love life will fall easily to such men. Even feminists.

"15. What is your IQ?

Being at a certain level means you become a loving nerd, and all those loving Stacies will ignore your incel omega rear end for Chad Thundercock

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Night10194 posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people who claim to have a 150 IQ are lying about it and/or are the people who never shut up about IQ and are thus annoying as gently caress.
Mine was tested at 180 when I was 3, but 1) early tests don't mean much, and 2) "IQ" doesn't mean much either.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pomp posted:

"15. What is your IQ?

Because as in all masculine things it's most attractive to be just slightly above average (IQ, height, dick length, etc) because science.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Whoops

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Being at a certain level means you become a loving nerd, and all those loving Stacies will ignore your incel omega rear end for Chad Thundercock
There's a test for women, too, which is completely ridiculous, and really weird about body weight (unsurprisingly). Anything over a 33.0 gets you this: "stop taking this quiz. you get nothing! you lose! good day madam!"

I'm 5'3" and weigh about 190, which puts me very near that, and I'm pretty sure that women twice my size are out there dating and getting married. Like, sure, it's not the ideal, but it's like they genuinely think that women over 200 pounds are disgusting whales who will never go on dates, let alone get married. A glance at the wedding section of any newspaper should be enough to show them that fat women and old women (and even fat, old, and ugly women) get married all the drat time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think they fail to account for older men, and the things an older man might be attracted to in women his age. I don't expect to have the same taste in women at 55 that I do at 30, but since these guys are mentally 15 they will be perpetually attracted to 15 year old features in their women.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

There's a test for women, too, which is completely ridiculous, and really weird about body weight (unsurprisingly). Anything over a 33.0 gets you this: "stop taking this quiz. you get nothing! you lose! good day madam!"

I'm 5'3" and weigh about 190, which puts me very near that, and I'm pretty sure that women twice my size are out there dating and getting married. Like, sure, it's not the ideal, but it's like they genuinely think that women over 200 pounds are disgusting whales who will never go on dates, let alone get married. A glance at the wedding section of any newspaper should be enough to show them that fat women and old women (and even fat, old, and ugly women) get married all the drat time.

It gets funnier when it's weird looking dudes like Noted Hideous Golem Matt Forney who are clearly just talking a big game and doing a lot of sex tourism.

Heath posted:

I think they fail to account for older men, and the things an older man might be attracted to in women his age. I don't expect to have the same taste in women at 55 that I do at 30, but since these guys are mentally 15 they will be perpetually attracted to 15 year old features in their women.

These guys are absolutely obsessed with the idea that men will always want perfect 16 year olds with improbably huge tits no matter how old they get, and it's the natural order of things. They threw an absolute fit when Spectre had James Bond as played by 48 year old Daniel Craig romance a 51 year old Monica Belluci.

Which like, come on, it's Monica Bellucci. I think she might be out of Daniel Craig's league, let alone anybody on the manosphere.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Mine was tested at 180 when I was 3, but 1) early tests don't mean much, and 2) "IQ" doesn't mean much either.

One of the biggest and most hilarious things about IQ is that it's inherently heavily biased inversely with youth under age ~18, so a lot of the people who claim to have a high IQ actually did when they were tested at like age 8 because little jimmy is one of the smart kids, and now as an adult they're probably only within the first standard deviation but keep using the old number because everyone treats it like it's unchanging :v:

(yes this includes me shut up)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pookel posted:

Yeah they get married, but they're marrying the betas who are still around once all the alphas get the supermodel wives or whatever and they're forced to take the leftovers or die alone never get any poon again, brah.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
hbomberguy did his Sargon video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ikanreed posted:

hbomberguy did his Sargon video.

Oh gently caress yeah, this should be good times when I get home.