Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
what's the general opinion on the acer 34" ips with gsync? Curved monitors bad? Not enough hertz? Too expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I can tell you after this weekend. There is a x34a waiting at the local postal pick-up point for me.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MeruFM posted:

what's the general opinion on the acer 34" ips with gsync? Curved monitors bad? Not enough hertz? Too expensive?

The one with freesync kicks rear end, you want a curved screen at that width, and the max framerate is a tradeoff. I'll point out my xr341ck was a $600 return, so cost efficiency is debatable.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the best cost/performance 1080p 144hz monitor? I have a 1440p for my IPS needs but I really want to play fps.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

xthetenth posted:

Correct, or you could get a 480 and replace cards more frequently if you don't now, which is usually a good call for keeping performance high, and you can sell the old card to cover some of the expense. I generally advocate single cards over dual, but don't upsell yourself if the games you play or your willingness to not play max settings 144 hz don't need it.

I'd definitely recommend an IPS if it's a matter of having the money but not wanting to spend it. A monitor is something you can hold onto for a drat long time and is something you use every second of interacting with the computer. A graphics card hurts to pay a ton for because it isn't going to be a fast card by contemporary standards forever. That screen is going to stay a big, gorgeous screen with fluid motion so you can justify spending a bit more by holding on to it five or six years and getting a better experience the whole time.

Thanks, you're making good sense.

What is the thread consensus on buying refurbished monitors? Good idea / bad idea?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, you're making good sense.

What is the thread consensus on buying refurbished monitors? Good idea / bad idea?

I casually stalked acerrecertified and their ebay store for a couple weeks and bought an XB271hu at acerrecertified for around $515 in April. It didn't have any flaws. It was packaged pretty hilariously spartan, though.

http://acerrecertified.com/27-and-Up

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

teraflame posted:

Whats the best cost/performance 1080p 144hz monitor? I have a 1440p for my IPS needs but I really want to play fps.

I like the Nixeus NX-VUE24A, it's the same price as the Asus VG248QE which is usually recommended but it has a really nice panel for a TN and freesync which is really nice if you happen to have an AMD card or if Nvidia ever starts supporting non-Gsync adaptive sync.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MeruFM posted:

I love mine, have had it for two weeks and don't have any desire to return it. "Too expensive" is the only real complaint I can lay. And that the OSD is godawful. The X34P will have some minor improvements but won't be out until late this year.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just picked up a XF271HU for the pretty good price of 899 on sale (canadian). They're offering a stuck pixel guarantee for 50 bucks extra - worth getting? They will apparently cover backlight bleed already without it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I casually stalked acerrecertified and their ebay store for a couple weeks and bought an XB271hu at acerrecertified for around $515 in April. It didn't have any flaws. It was packaged pretty hilariously spartan, though.

http://acerrecertified.com/27-and-Up

That's how I got my XR341CK for $600, and it was in Spartan packaging and I had to put the bottom trim back on but the screen was immaculate.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well I didn't get the dead pixel protection which worked out well. This monitor is perfect and amazing.

However one small issue, after playing overwatch there's a small vertical line on the left side of the screen, looks to be even out of the normal range of the monitor (ie within the bezel thing), which essentially mirrors the middle of my monitor. It's only a couple mm wide but it is a 100% mirror including motion etc so it's very obvious. Changing the res then changing back seems to get rid of it. Any ideas? Google's not turning up much but it's a bit tricky to find the right search terms so it might be common.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
It's a common bug with the 144 Hz IPS screens due to a firmware issue in the Gsync module. Cycling power on the monitor fixes it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Now after using the XB271HU a few days, a G-Sync monitor was definitely worth it. If just for watching 24fps content smoothly instead of jittery like on 60hz panels.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
does 24p videos have to be full screen for gsync to kick in?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MeruFM posted:

Windowed GSync is supported. It just runs the whole panel to the refresh of the active window when you enable it. Though with 144Hz screens you don't even need GSync to get smooth 24Hz content, it runs fine as 144 is 6x24.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there anything like acer recertified in the UK?

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

Lungboy posted:

Is there anything like acer recertified in the UK?

Not as good though
http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Refurbished_Desktops_and_Monitors/cat.asp

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MeruFM posted:

No GSync needed for that. You'll likely run your desktop at 120hz or 144hz to begin with with a GSync display, both are multiples of 24hz. Altho 120hz is better, if you watch a lot of videos, because it'll also cover 30hz and 60hz. PAL gets hosed either way. I suppose what BurritoJustice says, windowed GSync might help.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 18, 2016

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
About two years back I tried out a 29" LG monitor which I liked but ultimately returned because I couldn't deal with the backlight bleed and IPS glow - I use my computer to watch movies and tv shows and it just made dark scenes too difficult to watch. I've kept on using my old 23" TN monitor ever since.

If I understand things correctly, the IPS glow is always going to be an issue and the next best thing for me would be a VA panel, right? What's the thread's opinion on, for example, the Samsung S29E790C? At around €500 it's considerably more expensive than it's LG IPS brethren, but it might be worth it to have some quality blacks for once. There's also a 34" 1440p version, but it's more than €800 and presumably I would have to upgrade my GTX 760 to something beefier. Being only a casual gamer (Dirt Rally and GTA V being the most graphically intensive games I've got at the moment), that would probably not be worth it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Unless you managed to land on a really crappy panel, any amount of bias lighting makes the glow relatively unnoticeable. The glow on a decent IPS panel will certainly not be remotely as bad as what one knows from the IPS panels found in cheap laptops. If you value higher pixel density, VA panels are out of the question.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
My ASUS MX239H is giving me some pretty severe screen flickering and other graphical distortions every 5 seconds or so (and yes, it's a problem with the monitor). I guess it's time to find a new panel.

Any recommendations for a similar panel (1080p IPS /w speakers), preferably an ultrawide?

Alternatively, convince me to buy a x34 Predator.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

Alternatively, convince me to buy a x34 Predator.

Do this.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My old Acer 1680x1050 just died on me. I can either fix it, or buy a new screen. Are there any decent IPS 1080p screens for under 150? The cheaper the better; there will be no gaming on it. It will be a secondary screen.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

My old Acer 1680x1050 just died on me. I can either fix it, or buy a new screen. Are there any decent IPS 1080p screens for under 150? The cheaper the better; there will be no gaming on it. It will be a secondary screen.
Pretty much any of the 1080p panels from reputable companies that came out in the past 3-4 years will be around $120 if you catch a coupon.

You just missed being able to get this for $120. I picked one up for a second screen and have no complaints.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MeruFM posted:

How about it's amazing and it's the most beautiful monitor I've ever seen. If a cost isn't a problem for you it seems to be the most impressive quality you can buy right now.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
With regards to the Acer X34, how obvious is the scanline issue? Its honestly hard to tell because the folks over at overclock.net and hardforum have a tendency to exaggerate panel flaws, such as backlight bleeding, I feel.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Chafe posted:

With regards to the Acer X34, how obvious is the scanline issue? Its honestly hard to tell because the folks over at overclock.net and hardforum have a tendency to exaggerate panel flaws, such as backlight bleeding, I feel.

That and not a lot of people are going to make a post showcasing their flawless monitor, the contrary however.

I've already expressed my opinion on the X34 plenty, I think it's probably worth waiting for the revision and competing panels with the latest input standards coming in the next six months if possible. Despite my sour experience I still have to fight the urge to roll the dice on one again, it really is a breathtaking display.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

Pretty much any of the 1080p panels from reputable companies that came out in the past 3-4 years will be around $120 if you catch a coupon.

You just missed being able to get this for $120. I picked one up for a second screen and have no complaints.

How's this? https://www.amazon.com/Dell-SE2416HX-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B01717TLMM/

Also, I'm noticing nothing has display port at this price point. That's a bit disappointing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

Acer recently learned that its US-based e-commerce site had been compromised and is preparing to inform customers that may be affected according to a template letter sent to the California Attorney General’s office.

The Taiwanese computer manufacturer said the breach, conducted by an unauthorized third-party, involves customers that used the e-commerce site between May 12, 2015 and April 28, 2016. Data that may have been compromised includes names, addresses, partial credit card numbers and the three-digit security code on the rear of the card.
http://www.techspot.com/news/65259-acer-us-based-e-commerce-site-has-hacked.html

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Looks like those refurb X34 Predators might end up costing some of you (temporarily) more than you originally planned! :colbert:

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Unless you managed to land on a really crappy panel, any amount of bias lighting makes the glow relatively unnoticeable. The glow on a decent IPS panel will certainly not be remotely as bad as what one knows from the IPS panels found in cheap laptops. If you value higher pixel density, VA panels are out of the question.

Well, before I returned the monitor for good I got a replacement which had even worse backlight bleeding (which is of course a different issue I realize). I've never used bias lighting though, I usually watch movies in the dark. I'm not sure I understand the comment about pixel density, isn't that just a matter of resolution and panel size? How would the type of panel make a difference?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

Looks like those refurb X34 Predators might end up costing some of you (temporarily) more than you originally planned! :colbert:

I think they should just stick to eBay...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rad Gravity posted:

I've never used bias lighting though, I usually watch movies in the dark.
Doesn't need to be a second sun behind your display, just something to raise ambient light levels slightly, which would hide the glow a little.

Rad Gravity posted:

I'm not sure I understand the comment about pixel density, isn't that just a matter of resolution and panel size? How would the type of panel make a difference?
For some reason I thought the X34 had 1080p, which would be slightly coarse in my opinion. I suppose 1440p is fine on 34" ultrawide. Kinda like these bigass VA panels that only do 1080p.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Combat Pretzel posted:

For some reason I thought the X34 had 1080p, which would be slightly coarse in my opinion. I suppose 1440p is fine on 34" ultrawide. Kinda like these bigass VA panels that only do 1080p.

The height of a 34" 1440p monitor is the same as a 27" 1440p monitor, it's simply wider, so there's no drop in pixel density as there is for the 1080p 27" monitors.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
No, I definitely would not go for a 34" 1080p panel, VA or otherwise. The monitor I was looking at has a 29" 1080p VA panel, and there's also a 34" 1440p version of that monitor (and while I might be willing to spend €700-800 on a beast like that, having to spend as much again on a new GPU just to be able to actually use it would simply be unsound management of my finances at this time).

So basically I'm looking for recommendations for a 29" ultrawide on which movies will look real pretty.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SourKraut posted:

The height of a 34" 1440p monitor is the same as a 27" 1440p monitor, it's simply wider, so there's no drop in pixel density as there is for the 1080p 27" monitors.

Yeah, it actually works really well to flank a 34" ultrawide with two 27"s. It's actually what I'm doing now.

Rad Gravity posted:

So basically I'm looking for recommendations for a 29" ultrawide on which movies will look real pretty.

LG makes a bunch, and they'd go great with a solidly affordable ($200-250 USD) RX 480 because most of them have freesync.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Ok I've managed to be totally unaware of HDR displays, what is all this jazz? I had a quick google but couldn't tell if it was in Monitors yet or how much they would be? Seems like it's only in super expensive TVs?

I heard the new Xbox can use HDR displays but when is it expected these sort of displays will be used by most people? Thought more people here might be able to fill me in

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rad Gravity posted:

No, I definitely would not go for a 34" 1080p panel, VA or otherwise. The monitor I was looking at has a 29" 1080p VA panel, and there's also a 34" 1440p version of that monitor (and while I might be willing to spend €700-800 on a beast like that, having to spend as much again on a new GPU just to be able to actually use it would simply be unsound management of my finances at this time).

I have an LG 29UM67-P. It's 2560x1080, IPS, and has FreeSync and I love it. Also makes movies look real pretty. Planning to pair it with an RX480 as soon as I can.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone know what the QC is like on the Asus ROG PG348Q? It looks like the perfect monitor (and priced like Asus knows it), and there's a used one under a grand on Amazon so I'm...daydreaming a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonkish posted:

I have an LG 29UM67-P. It's 2560x1080, IPS, and has FreeSync and I love it. Also makes movies look real pretty. Planning to pair it with an RX480 as soon as I can.

Hell yeah. I have a 29UM67 no P and I'm doing the same thing.