Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Game is still, and will always be, a hack laden gently caress fest. There's just no way to secure a game when player HP, position, buffs and on and on are handled client side and it's coded right into the game that way, never to be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Also there's still the bullshit labor system and the problem with the elite owning all the land but at least now the servers are empty enough that normal people may actually be able to snag a plot or two. And the massive problem that there still doesn't seem to be much to do come endgame, it's the same people doing the same events as they come up over and over. I just stuck around for a bit after getting my free armor and not much seems to have changed and I'm already getting bored again.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
El Toasto saddles his horse. Adjusts his spurs. Fiddles with grips on his gloves. Gives his
Mighty Mount a nudge and charges into battle.

Archeage!

My favourite thread of all time. I am glad it
lives.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

Trion's decisions over the past year have been good. There are still the hiccups since XL puts things in patches without telling them, but stuff like the cloak/costume synth/ayanad scrap systems have been game obtained. Things should shake up when the server transfers open up at the end of the month for morpheus, because that's where a lot of the players are and either PANTSU is transferring off or everyone else is. If they go and add to the population of other servers, we could end up with a few good ones.

So your saying its all XL's fault? Because they put things in patches and dont tell Trion about them?

So the original server merges was Xl's fault?
The complete fuckery that was every major patch that were never tested on a test server, that too was Xl's fault?
The normalisation of mounts so that money bought ones are top, even though that isnt like it is in the korean server and was asked for my trion, that's also xl's fault?
The changes of raid times..

The list goes on and on, but to you it's all xl's fault?

Trions decisions are why the game is dead and server transfers are on the board again.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Meskhenet posted:

So your saying its all XL's fault? Because they put things in patches and dont tell Trion about them?

So the original server merges was Xl's fault?
The complete fuckery that was every major patch that were never tested on a test server, that too was Xl's fault?
The normalisation of mounts so that money bought ones are top, even though that isnt like it is in the korean server and was asked for my trion, that's also xl's fault?
The changes of raid times..

The list goes on and on, but to you it's all xl's fault?

Trions decisions are why the game is dead and server transfers are on the board again.

Game is dead because all security checks and calcs are client side so hacking is rampant, thats XL's fault

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byolante posted:

Game is dead because all security checks and calcs are client side so hacking is rampant, thats XL's fault

xl fixed a lot of the hacks, but never included the fixes into the early patches they gave trion. Thats why all the hacks and exploits that no longer worked on the korean servers worked on the trion launch. They are both terrible and at fault

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Man knows what he is talking about.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

at least the boys made some good $$$ while this was a thing for a month or so.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
And completely killed their reputation. I mean to the point where they hired a guy to patrol the Steam forums telling people that they know they hosed them over but honestly this time you can totally trust them and that guy getting shat on by pretty much everybody except one or two idiots. Can't imagine that all the whales have run off but they seem desperate nonetheless.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Morglon posted:

And completely killed their reputation. I mean to the point where they hired a guy to patrol the Steam forums telling people that they know they hosed them over but honestly this time you can totally trust them and that guy getting shat on by pretty much everybody except one or two idiots. Can't imagine that all the whales have run off but they seem desperate nonetheless.

I'd say it was the one-two combination of making GBS threads all over Rift then getting into Archeage. They had a good thing going in the beginning of Rift but that led to a lot of bad feelings when they hosed everything up so bad.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Didn't that coincide with the CEO or president changing? Did that position even change hands, or am I remembering the complete shift in Trion's behavior wrong?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Dunno if they actually got a new guy but I remember reading a statement from the CEO around the time things went to poo poo about catering to the whales and gently caress everybody else. I mean yeah you gotta cater to the whales but you also need to not gently caress over everybody else since whales need an audience to lord all their poo poo over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Archeage is absolutely designed around punishing players not willing to spend money. There is an appalling amount of apologists on the official forum in defense of this model.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's the defense?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's true that it's pretty easy to keep your houses going, make tons of money and get everything you want. After you have like four accounts with the farm freighter and keep them premium from the ungodly amounts of gold you make from running trade convoys once or twice a day. That's boring as gently caress and requires tons and tons of grinding, multi boxing and/or real money investment. Not Star Citizen levels but probably a couple hundred.

madmulligan
Dec 21, 2014
It's really not that bad, Patron is the only thing really required. Gold is easy enough to make in the game that gear and property can be saved up for, the P2W isn't that overwhelming in there.

Whats bad is when you realize that the faction you play in is 3/4 alt accounts... at least...for the convoys and massive farms

madmulligan fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 19, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Its not that bad. You just need to abuse the system heavily and spend hundreds of dollars, but after that, easy peezy

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

"it's not that bad" are my favorite posts in Trion games threads. "I can still force myself to play it!"

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's just great to see posting activity again in the Archeage thread, reminding people that this cool game exists. Also coinpurses give a ton of value now so you can have all the land and alt accounts you want, I do just fine without much of either.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I haven't had a sub in like a year, but I still have my houses and only log in a few times a month. The 5 week prepay thing lets me alternate months of Patron, but I'm running slowly running out of gold as APEX costs continue to rise.

If I did carts or the daily house quests plus a little trading, I could probably continue funding it like this. I've been selling off my materials to avoid playing the game while still maintaining houses :v:

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
People are pretty invested in hating this game.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I'm now level 43 and still enjoying it. I also just finished my first house. Is there a limit to how many houses I can have?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jacada posted:

I'm now level 43 and still enjoying it. I also just finished my first house. Is there a limit to how many houses I can have?

Your income. Real life income, not ingame.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Taxes get more expensive if you own three or more? More than three? Dunno something with three. Other than that no, the limit is your credit limit, if you can space it out over multiple accounts it may be better at some levels just more of a hassle. This is the situation now you've got a few people owning entire compounds, I've seen some taking up half a housing zone and seriously if you manage it well there's no reason not to since at that point you're printing money. I mean earlier today I saw someone drive a seven freighter deep trade convoy.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Finndo posted:

People are pretty invested in hating this game.

Its not a big investment though, its just so easy.

Also there are plots (farms) that WONT increase the tax rate, they are flat taxed.

I like the game personally. If there was a decent private server with all the bullshit removed id still run my trade packs daily.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hating this game is a much smaller investment than playing it.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
So I started playing this game last week and I'm loving everything you can do. Like right now I don't even care aboutthe traditional MMO stuff, I just want to get a fishing boat and catch monsters. I don't really mind the p2w thing as long as it's true that all you really need is patron (which I just got). There's a lot of hate in this thread though so I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time. Did the game itself drive you all to hate it or was it Trion pushing the cash shop?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
If you just want to gently caress around it's probably fine, the terrible part comes with everything beyond that. RNG stacked on top of more RNG, it's the Inception of RNG, you have to pass so many layers of rolls to get to what you actually want and most of them can just outright destroy your base item. That being said the part where you run trade convoys or just quest out in the wild and get jumped by someone who paid for good gear will probably not happen anymore since the game is virtually dead and the few people that have the best poo poo have better things to do than loving with you.

Trion is also really bad with lots of things too numerous and tedious to get into so at the very least don't get too invested.

I would recommend bringing some friends along if you're into fishing though, no clue how the oceans look these days but you'll be a big fat target alone and probably die. Also I wouldn't really bring anyone into this game, I'm not that cruel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Meatsicle posted:

So I started playing this game last week and I'm loving everything you can do. Like right now I don't even care aboutthe traditional MMO stuff, I just want to get a fishing boat and catch monsters. I don't really mind the p2w thing as long as it's true that all you really need is patron (which I just got). There's a lot of hate in this thread though so I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time. Did the game itself drive you all to hate it or was it Trion pushing the cash shop?

As long as you just want to gently caress around for a few months it's a fine game. Back at launch there were terrible land rushes and stuff from people who thought they'd be playing the game for years, and when the game didn't live up to expectations they got bitter about the whole thing. Or trying to build up a 'powerful' guild, or get a castle, or any number of other goals that took effort. Then a few months later they evaluate effort/ fun and realize the effort they have invested is far too great for the amount of fun extracted.

Play expecting the best game ever and you're going to be disappointed.

Play expecting a mediocre Korean MMO with rampant hacking and P2W, and you can have a pretty good time.

edit: oh, and get a skateboard. Skateboards are fun.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

My piece of advice with the rng is to either embrace it or just don't partake in it. Most of the rng is done on items you can buy on the auction house, so just buy that 4k gold divine weapon instead of spending 6k gold trying to make one. I let the lucky people do the work for me since rng hates me.

Also there isn't rampant hacking right now and you won't really see bots. The dude who made that hacking mod can't get it working at the moment.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 21, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
4k that's really cute. It's more like 20 from what I've seen and that's one item. Also keep in mind that that amount of money takes you at least a week, likely two and that is if you have patron and feel like doing nothing but trade runs with all your labor.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Morglon posted:

4k that's really cute. It's more like 20 from what I've seen and that's one item. Also keep in mind that that amount of money takes you at least a week, likely two and that is if you have patron and feel like doing nothing but trade runs with all your labor.

I just bought a divine obsidian scepter for 4.2k last night? It's a big chunk of change, I wasn't saying it was cheap, just that it's an option if you don't want to rely on RNG. The regrading event going on right now probably has items on the market cheaper than normal.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well on Kyrios you're not getting it that cheap, I checked some poo poo. Also everybody is dumping land right now because the expansion will bring new zones and the price will plummet even further. It's loving great watching the land barons try to get rid of their huge compounds for the price of a piece of best in slot gear but nobody who actually has that much cash is buying land because they know better so they're there spamming trade day in day out and when you ask them about buying a single piece of land they're all offended because it's a unit and no way they're splitting it up it kills the value. Honestly this is a great time if you just want to gently caress around for a bit and have a house, gently caress, give it three more weeks and you'll be able to snag empty land on the highest pop servers.

Still doesn't make the game good but being able to actually have a house could be a big draw for some people.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Morglon posted:

Well on Kyrios you're not getting it that cheap, I checked some poo poo. Also everybody is dumping land right now because the expansion will bring new zones and the price will plummet even further. It's loving great watching the land barons try to get rid of their huge compounds for the price of a piece of best in slot gear but nobody who actually has that much cash is buying land because they know better so they're there spamming trade day in day out and when you ask them about buying a single piece of land they're all offended because it's a unit and no way they're splitting it up it kills the value. Honestly this is a great time if you just want to gently caress around for a bit and have a house, gently caress, give it three more weeks and you'll be able to snag empty land on the highest pop servers.

Still doesn't make the game good but being able to actually have a house could be a big draw for some people.

I wondered about that. When claiming my free stuff I saw a big rear end treehouse right outside the city in Marinopole for 4,000. It looked pretty cool, and if you climb to the top you can jump off and fly forever. :haw:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Those are amazing and 4k is seriously cheap, I'm jealous, haven't seen one for under 6 on Kyrios.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

There will always be hacking in the game. How long did it take trion to find out that apex was bugged? how many thousands did they lose right there?

And then not actually ban the cheaters?

I still like the trade run aspect, but you really need land to set all that up if you only want to log in for an hour a day. (I'd still be playing just to do that if they didnt gently caress up the mergers).

But there are bugs that have been around for ages that will never get fixed, even though they should. There are non-bugs that get tweek'd for no idea.

This is one game that really needs a serious stable private server.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Kyrios is on the same AH cluster as half the other NA servers, including Aranzeb.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Any goons playing in Morpheus? I came back to this very bad game, because i already had more money than sense once so why not... been playing on the East faction of furries. So far I like it... Am I this terrible?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Meskhenet posted:

There will always be hacking in the game. How long did it take trion to find out that apex was bugged? how many thousands did they lose right there?

And then not actually ban the cheaters?

I still like the trade run aspect, but you really need land to set all that up if you only want to log in for an hour a day. (I'd still be playing just to do that if they didnt gently caress up the mergers).

But there are bugs that have been around for ages that will never get fixed, even though they should. There are non-bugs that get tweek'd for no idea.

This is one game that really needs a serious stable private server.

IIRC there was actually more than one APEX bug, and there were people exploiting it and it was reported right around when the game was released. Trion did nothing about it until one day (like 3-4 months into launch) no one could use their APEXes after they shut down everything for like a week. It involved something really stupid like zoning into a new area and hammering on the APEX item while the area was loading to get tons of free cash shop currency without using the item.

They brought it back online for a bit after an attempted fix, and then it happened again.

During those periods the markets were filled with sell orders for cash-shop only items like the tractor upgrade for extremely low prices by people laundering their free cash-shop money. Later on the Trion CEO put on a big show with public message about banning hackers which amounted to jack and poo poo.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im still not banned and i hacked TONS

• Locked thread