Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Golem II posted:

The best I've ever done.

That match was incredibly long but amazing. The next game we got a (finding a more balanced game!) prompt where we absolutely crushed the other team. I wanted to play the crazy group again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wapole Languray posted:

Recently picked this game up, is pretty fun, but I've been trying to use 76 as I heard he's a good beginner hero to learn on. But, is he supposed to be really weak? It feels like his bullets do basically nothing, but he's not fast enough to hit-and-run or tough enough to slug it out.

The best thing to do is try lots of characters. Ideally you'll get at least say ten minutes on most characters for starters. But for me personally, while I like Soldier, Pharah really clicked with me for a gung-ho assault character. If you like air mobility and shooting rockets everywhere, she might click faster than Soldier. Or maybe you'd dig Mei, Tracer, or McCree etc. I find all of those characters are fairly forgiving. In general most characters you can get some kind of feel for really quickly.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Torb is going to get nerfed into the ground on console.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Huxley posted:

Torb is going to get nerfed into the ground on console.

Do console players have trouble using junkrat or reinhardt or something?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I promise we are smart enough to try.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Away all Goats posted:

Do console players have trouble using junkrat or reinhardt or something?

An automatic turret that can actually instantly aim at things it wants to shoot has a pretty big advantage compared to people trying to awkwardly steer their FPS characters around with a joystick. I don't doubt that he's still counterable, but compared to other heroes Torb is gonna be relatively stronger on console. I'm guessing other no-aim-required heroes (Winston, Symmetra) are gonna be similarly strong.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

An automatic turret that can actually instantly aim at things it wants to shoot has a pretty big advantage compared to people trying to awkwardly steer their FPS characters around with a joystick. I don't doubt that he's still counterable, but compared to other heroes Torb is gonna be relatively stronger on console. I'm guessing other no-aim-required heroes (Winston, Symmetra) are gonna be similarly strong.

I wonder how flankers like Tracer and Genji fare on consoles. On the one hand, I imagine they're quite a bit weaker because on PC they rely on a lot of quick 180s and fast, precise close-range tracking to make them really dangerous. On the other hand, I bet it's nice sneaking up on people who can't turn around.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 19, 2016

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Fixed the poster in Hollywood:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Console balance talk: I've played around 300 games with a winning record. I'm not good, but I'm not down in the dogshit, either. In my MMR, every team has a reasonable comp, and even when you see people playing "bad" characters they're usually pretty good at them.

Tracer is fine. She is still able to do what she's supposed to do. You can't blink through people while 180 turning and reloading at the same time, but you can still just land at the back of someone's head and kill them before they can get away (though it usually takes an extra clip vs PC).

Genji is kind of unplayable. So much of his gameplay wants to be in the air, and it's basically impossible to move laterally, jump, and aim at the same time. To be effective you you really have to use your jumps to position then spam a choke point or control point to build ult then try to team kill. His dash is a mess because you can't recover from it quickly, and more often that not it leaves you staring into a wall and cranking your stick and getting shot in the head. I'm not sure I've ever been killed by it in an actual game.

He's useless on the flank on places like Hanamura (where he goes through the top window and gets melted by the upstairs turret). Reflect still wrecks Bastions, though.

Widow can't aim and is basically an all-in Bastion with a grappling hook. She still gets kills, but exists basically to blow up stationary targets and Zen.

McCree can't line up headshots quickly enough to really abuse Flash. Though honestly if he exists to kill Tracer and Pharah and neither of those is a problem, he's probably just fine.

Bastion still gets wrecked more often that not, but Torb and Sym are both too good on console right now. You can't actually aim down the Sym turrets quickly enough. They probably need bigger hitboxes. And people have finally figured out the good A defense positions for Torb turrets and are almost always using one, usually two on control point maps. Sym and Torb are both winning about 10% more of their games on console vs PC, and you can't just write all that off as console players not being smart enough to swap or counter.

Only one Attack character on masteroverwatch is over 50% winrate on console (76). I played a dozen (non KOTH) matches tonight and defense won all but two. I'm confident most of this will get fixed, and them knowing all this is why console didn't get the Widow/McCree balance patch. They'll probably roll out a handful of changes with the competitive update in a couple of weeks.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Huxley posted:

You can't blink through people while 180 turning and reloading at the same time

well then what's even the point

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Few highlights from the goon in-house earlier tonight. Apologies for some stutters on the last video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q5G5U5Cpu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CwHRkyDd_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txic_LVnKrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8O5h7X2dY0

More goons need to check out the in-houses.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The eternal paradox of all games with objectives.

Complaining you are not going for the objective, while you have the top objective time by far and they just armchair from a safe distance with roadhog or something.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

whatspeakyou posted:

Few highlights from the goon in-house earlier tonight. Apologies for some stutters on the last video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q5G5U5Cpu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CwHRkyDd_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txic_LVnKrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8O5h7X2dY0

More goons need to check out the in-houses.

If this doesnt convince you then check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am80znVLBbs

Join our inhouses

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

So it turns out that Junkrat's Ult either can't be interrupted or has only a small window at the start of the animation. I killed a guy setting his off, he fell over dead, then the wheel appeared and blew me and two teammates up.

...and what's worse is it made PoTG so I got to see it all over again :(

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Ahhpple posted:

Join our inhouses

Thanks for hosting these, it's a blast!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One of the worst feelings is the one I experience when I place a Symmetra teleporter and mid animation an enemy walks right around the corner.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Big parts of the American west are reporting big problems with SA right now. Things are loading stupid slow and we don't get the modern CSS.

So save me the trouble of going to the OP or another thread or wherever else and give me a short rundown on how the in-houses are scheduled and organized

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

This is my favorite player name/character combo I've found so far.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Big parts of the American west are reporting big problems with SA right now. Things are loading stupid slow and we don't get the modern CSS.

So save me the trouble of going to the OP or another thread or wherever else and give me a short rundown on how the in-houses are scheduled and organized

Our Discord, used for setting up teams/games/gimmicks, separate from main goon discord
Steam Group, just for announcements

We play every weeknight starting at 9 pm EST going to 10:30-11:30, though we managed to fill up games tonight which is rare for a Saturday. We normally just pick captains who then draft players, and everyone else spectates. Sometimes we do gimmicks, mostly "character draft" where we pick 6 random heroes and draft hero+player at once. People who didn't play the previous round but want to play just type "X" in discord and are picked first after that. We usually do best of 3 games just because it's faster than reforming teams every round but if the groups are imbalanced we try to address that sooner rather than later. We technically use stopwatch rules but it's more just a fun thing to laugh/gloat about between games and a way to see how people are improving, and we don't end maps early, just compare times at the end.

Here's a bit from the OP that talks about the general attitude/atmosphere, you should stop by the other thread when your internet stops being bad:

quote:

I liked playing on the LCs or in similar communities but I put "pro" in scare quotes when I post, am I welcome?

Sure, everyone is! The point of in-houses is to build a community and hopefully find people you like playing with/against regularly. Lots of people who weren't great did TF2 evening highlander games and it was usually a pretty good time for everyone involved! You'll also find that actually talking to your opponents might make you stay more invested in the game - It's one thing to beat or lose to some random people you'll never see again, and it's another to beat a group of your friends and laugh at/with them after the fact.

Any rules?

It's generally agreed upon that when you're playing an in-house you and your team are trying to win, so please don't troll your group (either your team or the opponents who were expecting a real match) by trying to play Combat Mercy. I'm going to keep a list of people in the OP who violate either the play-in-good-faith rule or the don't-be-a-genuine-fucker rule; Don't hesitate to report people to me who are breaking either rule regularly. Similarly please don't just report people who you don't think made good voice comms or who played worse than you, because that'd be a clear violation of the second rule.

Usually me or Ahhpple is the Master of Ceremonies but that's just sending out discord/steam messages 10 minutes before the game starts so people know to hop in, and setting up captains or gimmick games.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 19, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I tried Reaper for the first time today. Holy poo poo is he fun. I just wish his voice lines were better.

Also had by far my best game as Zarya. Dorado attack, 58% average charge, team-killed red twice including POTG on the final payload push where I saved our Tracer from S76 ult then shielded myself as I closed in and lasered him to death. There are too many good characters in this game, I want to play them all every round.

e: Do the in-houses ever go later? You guys end right as I'm getting on. :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I tried reaper for the first time with bourbon today and it went well, also.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Papercut posted:

e: Do the in-houses ever go later? You guys end right as I'm getting on. :(

Do you mean 11 pm? We went close to midnight tonight, but that was probably an anomaly. I might run weekend games later (10 pm est - midnight+?) or have a day or two during the week that starts an hour later, but if there's still interest we usually keep playing. It's just that's when people tend to be out of steam.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Do you mean 11 pm? We went close to midnight tonight, but that was probably an anomaly. I might run weekend games later (10 pm est - midnight+?) or have a day or two during the week that starts an hour later, but if there's still interest we usually keep playing. It's just that's when people tend to be out of steam.

I mean the 9pm-12am PST block. I guess we just need someone to organize some west coast equivalent.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ahhpple posted:

Join our inhouses

Uhm is there a setting that gives those UI team icons in the upper screen? :staredog:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Bolivar posted:

Uhm is there a setting that gives those UI team icons in the upper screen? :staredog:

Only spectators can get that :(

edit: Unless it's a Custom Game thing I don't know about

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Theta Zero posted:

This is my favorite player name/character combo I've found so far.

It's....beautiful :allears:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Symmetra is fun and good and easy as gently caress and I'm gonna be sad when the cat is finally out of the bag and people learn how easy she is to ride to a a ludicrous win rate.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

It ain't much, but I'm still proud of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9aYj3woDRc

Turned out both teams decided to go one hero without even telling each other. We went all D.Va while the enemy went all Torbjorn, and they switched to all Reaper after we stomped all over A point :allears:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 19, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm sure she's still not that great in competitive but it feels like McCree's absence in quickplay has opened up a lot of room for Mei. As long as she's already closed the distance on you, it really sucks to try to bring her down as 76, the guy most likely to be accompanying a tank it seems.

This is based solely on observation though as I've played like 4 minutes of Mei ever.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

Ahhpple posted:

Join our inhouses

That was the game I learned I could kill people with my Meka call-in. :3: So much fun.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah torb is stupid OP on console defense. If you have a line of sight widowmaker is an easy counter assuming there's no Reinhardt

They just need to nerf his ult a bit and add a small delay on target acquisition on the turrets

I'd be fine with just the latter TBH

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Buy a ps4 turn on said ps4 any hour of the day spam invites wait 5 mins :duckie:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 19, 2016

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah torb is stupid OP on console defense. If you have a line of sight widowmaker is an easy counter assuming there's no Reinhardt

They just need to nerf his ult a bit and add a small delay on target acquisition on the turrets

I'd be fine with just the latter TBH

The counter to Molten Core is to just walk away for ten seconds. It can be a little obnoxious if Torb catches you out in the open, but that's your drat fault for being out in the open with a live level 2 turret. It is seriously the least impactful ultimate in the game unless Torbjorn himself has caught people out and starts gunning them down/flushing them out in front of his turret. Which 99% of Torbs don't to because they pop Molten Core while crouching behind their gun because they're losing a fixing/breaking fight with a Pharah/Junkrat/Symmetra/Hanzo/Widowmaker and all it winds up doing is burning time and killing bad Reapers/Winstons/D.vas who use their mobility tools to start an attack on a set-up turret and a Torb with an unknown amount of meter. .

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Being a front line Toblerobe is a lot of fun since the gun is fine, turret gives support fire and a lot of enemies seem to focus on other people or maybe they are just not used to aiming a bit lower. Molten core is the same with a sort of invincibility for a while, so I can just get in people's faces and spam buttons. If I die then I die, if the turret is up then it will probably do nice damage when I'm running from spawn :gary: I also love the concept of collecting scrap and making GBS threads armor around.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 19, 2016

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Bolivar posted:

Being a front line Toblerobe is a lot of fun since the gun is fine, turret gives support fire and a lot of enemies seem to focus on other people or maybe they are just not used to aiming a bit lower. Molten core is the same with a sort of invincibility for a while, so I can just get in people's faces and spam buttons. If I die then I die, if the turret is up then it will probably do nice damage when I'm running from spawn :gary: I also love the concept of collecting scrap and making GBS threads armor around.

Yeah, while Torbjorn kinda has the Zenyatta problem while manfighting (great offensively, but kinda fragile and zero mobility) he still does way more damage with his rivet gun then most people expect, and I'm way more afraid of Torbjorn in Molten Core then his gun since he gets a pretty notable offensive boost on top of that massive pile of armor. It's a shame that most people try to play him like a TF2 Engineer and babysit their turret ceaselessly when Torb is much more effective setting up a turret in a choke where it can gum up the enemy team while they have to deal with it while Torbjorn himself goes and joins his team to collapse on the stalled enemy push.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Today I was playing Junkrat on Hollywood, I was having a desperate close range 'one of us has to die' fights with a speed Lucio, almost alone on cap A, with most of my team respawning and no teleporter, then I saw the warning for a Tracer bomb and died, so I figured she snuck up behind me and planted it while I was distracted

Then when I got the kill cam replay, she ran/double speed jumped from in front of me straight at my face, threw the bomb on my chest, and time jumped backwards.

And she never appeared on my screen

:psyboom:

Or in other words

Minrad posted:

fix the loving netcode

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I just did my first intentional dodge earlier today and let me tell you. Not medicking for 3 Genjis felt good. It was so much self-harm avoidance that it might as well have been a day at the spa.

Bringing this one back from downtown. How didn't you rock a 4th genji.

The best win I had in a while was a 5 widowmaker team.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mei is one of the most balanced heroes in the game? :raise:

I mean, not in the way he's suggesting, more the exact opposite.

Well, she has the lowest center of gravity, so yeah, she's the most balanced character.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Well, she has the lowest center of gravity, so yeah, she's the most balanced character.

:vince:

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Bolivar posted:

I also love the concept of collecting scrap and making GBS threads armor around.

I remember a game with the PS4 goons on the Russian map defense where we went 6 Bjorns because the team we were against had done the same thing to us previously. We all threw our armor on the A point and completely covered it rendering us practically invincible as long as we kept moving on that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Verranicus posted:

I don't find Mei OP at all. Annoying, sure.
It takes a clever player to make the most out of Mei. Her weapon doesn't do much damage so she's not all that lethal on her own, especially against a tank (I can't kill a tank unless I use her ult). Mei is there to slow down and frustrate the enemy.