Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Why did you post the same image twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Aside from the technicolour, it reminds me of the City Museum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Crappy construction: everything about The Olivebridge Cottage. :psyduck:

It's a series of blog posts. You can browse the relevant tag, or here are the posts numbered: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Now for some images to whet the appetite.

Exterior:

There are a lot of images I could post that are emblematic of how hosed‐up this house is, but I’ll tease you with this electrical wiring:

:stonk:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 18, 2016

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Platystemon posted:

It's a serious of blog posts, listed in reverse chronological order because blogs are dumb. You can brows the category starting from page 2 and reading everything backwards, or I’ll just put the links to individual posts here in the right order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Exterior:

There are a lot of images I could post that are emblematic of how hosed‐up this house was, but I’ll tease you with this electrical wiring:

How could you not choose the picture of the foundation?

:allbuttons:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know you could make an entire house out of handyman fuckups.

quote:

As a final “gently caress you” before dying in the wall, this badass squirrel tried to make the house collapse.

Or catch on fire.

Honestly, at this point? TOTALLY understand where that squirrel was coming from. Big up, my brother. You did your best.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Roseo posted:

How could you not choose the picture of the foundation?

:allbuttons:

The big reveal must be saved for the end.

Surely this deck bodes well for the integrity of the adjacent wall:

It’s hard to see here, but there were new boards slapped on top of rotten ones. Don’t miss what’s going on on the right side of the image, either.

Another highlight: The dryer vents into the crawspace. The kitchen sink drains into…

quote:

First, we had to pull out the old plumbing. I don’t mess with that. Everything was bad, basically—the galvanized pipe in the photo above was the drain line for the kitchen sink and laundry machine, which drained into…I don’t even know. There’s a main drain that goes to the septic system, but this one basically came out the side wall of the house and directly into the ground, presumably into some kind of dry well. It’s best not to think too hard about it. At least there wasn’t a garbage disposal.

Did I mention the house has a well?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 18, 2016

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

When squirrels gnawed through the wood encasing a live electrical box, the artist was unfazed. “All you need is a little creativity,” he explained. Here, a bit of steel wool from the supermarket and a few wood shims made everything look like new.

This whole thing's a joke right?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
11 cinder blocks should be enough for a foundation for anybody, what is the big deal?

The best part of that house, is how it really isn't a house. Just a bunch of rotted wood and critters.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Before I dive into this thing - holy poo poo, why steel wool? You know that poo poo catches on fire with any kind of electrical current, right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:thejoke:

Actually, that entire house is :thejoke:

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

LordSaturn posted:

Before I dive into this thing - holy poo poo, why steel wool? You know that poo poo catches on fire with any kind of electrical current, right?

Because squirrels and mice won't chew through it. My grandmother had a mouse problem for a few years while they were developing subdivisions around her house in a heavily wooded area. She used to stuff steel wool in the holes to keep them from coming back in that way.

Her long term plans was to adopt a couple stray cats.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lime Tonics posted:

11 cinder blocks should be enough for a foundation for anybody, what is the big deal?

The best part of that house, is how it really isn't a house. Just a bunch of rotted wood and critters.

No live critters, just nests. Even the vermin eventually found it uninhabitable.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
I actually thought the link were to the wrong project because in the first pages the house looked kinda cute. But then...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

For when you really need to triple-wield sinks. I can't imagine how even two of those sinks could be used at the same time (by different people), let alone all three.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm trying to justify this as a commercial style wash/rinse/sanitize type setup......but the surrounding area seems to demonstrate enough cash that they weren't trying to make it out of things they found at Habitat for Humanity ReStore like I do. And then....there's the 4th sink. Sterilize?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm trying to justify this as a commercial style wash/rinse/sanitize type setup......but the surrounding area seems to demonstrate enough cash that they weren't trying to make it out of things they found at Habitat for Humanity ReStore like I do. And then....there's the 4th sink. Sterilize?

Wet bar, hence the filter.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Any chance it's a kosher kitchen? I know some people who take the rules extremely seriously have separate sink/prep areas for different foods. Although even with that thought, those sinks look too close together to be suited for that purpose anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Any chance it's a kosher kitchen? I know some people who take the rules extremely seriously have separate sink/prep areas for different foods. Although even with that thought, those sinks look too close together to be suited for that purpose anyway.

Great idea.....you're reaching as much as I am trying here. But skinks in a kosher kitchen should be further apart then splashing distance as I understand it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
If I were building it, I'd swap the positions of the wide one and the double-well one.

I think the contractor just had a surplus of sinks and the homeowner was like that pimp whose grand architectural vision was "yes."

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Motronic posted:

skinks in a kosher kitchen should be further apart then splashing distance as I understand it.

Now there's a story.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

Ever wanted to live inside an acid trip? Now you can.

http://olx.ua/obyavlenie/kvartira-ul-radunskaya-26-srochno-IDdZ7CS.html

Imgur album in case the listing gets pulled.

http://imgur.com/a/bc96D

Hey, nice bathroom.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I see at least 8.5 vaginas in this ceiling

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

frozenpussy posted:

I see at least 8.5 vaginas in this ceiling

Pretty solid post/avatar/username combo, well done :golfclap:

For content: I work at a machine shop, and we were just told by our department lead that "the power company said the grid linkup is on its last jerry-rig fix before we have to get everything replaced," which honestly floored me considering that literally the entire business is devoted to the task of turning raw materials and electricity into fairly precise parts. Why would you run your multi-million dollar buisness on a jerry-rigged power box?!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 19, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey man, gently caress what might happen next month, today this production line stays open.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

If I were building it, I'd swap the positions of the wide one and the double-well one.

I think the contractor just had a surplus of sinks and the homeowner was like that pimp whose grand architectural vision was "yes."

I'm looking at the listing for it and I still have no goddamn clue

http://www.sveingroem.com/newlisting/2129114/175-Bellevue-Drive-Boulder-CO-80302

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It's a series of blog posts. You can browse the relevant tag, or here are the posts numbered: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Exterior:

There are a lot of images I could post that are emblematic of how hosed‐up this house is, but I’ll tease you with this electrical wiring:

Did someone sell kastein a vacation home?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Why would you run your multi-million dollar buisness on a jerry-rigged power box?!
"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

Also, "That's future me's problem, and that guy's an rear end in a top hat."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LonsomeSon posted:

For content: I work at a machine shop, and we were just told by our department lead that "the power company said the grid linkup is on its last jerry-rig fix before we have to get everything replaced," which honestly floored me considering that literally the entire business is devoted to the task of turning raw materials and electricity into fairly precise parts. Why would you run your multi-million dollar buisness on a jerry-rigged power box?!

In my experience, because it started as a quick fix, then more machines were added and "fixed" and it snowballed and suddenly you realise one day there are coat hangers and bits of 2x4 keeping millions of dollars of machines running.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LonsomeSon posted:

Why would you run your multi-million dollar buisness on a jerry-rigged power box?!

the only reason they're still a multi-million dollar business is because they havent paid to fix anything, and the place hasn't caught on fire/exploded yet

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nmfree posted:

"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

Also, "That's future me's problem, and that guy's an rear end in a top hat."

"If I get the numbers up NOW, I get promoted. If it fails on the next manager's watch, that's his fault for not living up to my high standards :smug:"

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

LonsomeSon posted:

Thanks

When a building needs its connection overhauled, who pays for it?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like this is a bit underwhelming after the magic cave house and the one held up by drywall screws and the spirit of malfeasance, but here it is anyway. This bathroom was laid out kind weird.

Toilet was at a good 30o angle to the stall wall, and at least a foot away from the back.

leaving a good three feet of empty space off to the side. I checked and every stall on that side of the bathroom was like that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm going to guess that the original toilets had a slightly different spec between the floor drain and the water supply, and when they put new toilets in, they just lined up the two holes and called it a day.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It looks like they could have avoided that issue by installing the valve assembly the other way. Are those things directional?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

I'm going to guess that the original toilets had a slightly different spec between the floor drain and the water supply, and when they put new toilets in, they just lined up the two holes and called it a day.

That explains the angled johns; it does not explain why everything is crammed up to one side like there's a spider in the corner. Maybe they planned for double the toilets but the funky plumbing meant they had to take half out leading to luxury-wide stalls.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh jesus christ that cottage.

It keeps going.

Oh my loving god it's not a house it's just a pile of rot in the shape of a house.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 20, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

there wolf posted:

I feel like this is a bit underwhelming after the magic cave house and the one held up by drywall screws and the spirit of malfeasance, but here it is anyway. This bathroom was laid out kind weird.

Toilet was at a good 30o angle to the stall wall, and at least a foot away from the back.

leaving a good three feet of empty space off to the side. I checked and every stall on that side of the bathroom was like that.

This feels like a misguided attempt to meet some ADA requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

frozenpussy posted:

When a building needs its connection overhauled, who pays for it?

The power company typically owns up to the meter. Anything past that is on the homeowner/business.

This may not be the case in a lot of industrial or rural situations where the business/homeowner may have had to get things installed to make it to their property or deal with their particular power requirements (transformers, etc). In lot of those cases it it up to the property owner to deal with many of those things past the meter, some of which they may not actually be allowed to "deal with" in any way other than paying the power company to repair them when necessary.