Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Woebin posted:

Unpaid overtime should be illegal.

It should. Worker rights really need a shakeup in the US and I think a good place to start is the 'right to work' laws.

It's also an increasing problem in Europe. Lots of companies prefer having two sub-20 hour temps rather than one 37 hour employee because they don't have rights. Don't get me started on zero hour contracts in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm just glad I got into the semiconductor industry after everyone pretty much gave up on 20nm. From what I hear, those were not fun days.... (though 7nm? oh boy...)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im salary but still get OT

it's rad

Same, and my company sucks assholes in every other way wrt benefits. That said, it's good that even shittier companies will now have to pay OT to salaried employees thanks to Obama. I make over the threshold anyway but I feel for the best buy, wal mart etc people who have been getting hosed by even worse companies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

IRQ posted:

Same, and my company sucks assholes in every other way wrt benefits. That said, it's good that even shittier companies will now have to pay OT to salaried employees thanks to Obama. I make over the threshold anyway but I feel for the best buy, wal mart etc people who have been getting hosed by even worse companies.

Some McDonald's try to pay their employee's in gift and credit cards with pre-signed conditions.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What are the mental gymnastics these politicians use to argue that these laws are "right to work?"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They'll just hire 2 people for less to do the same job. Retail is a plague on this planet.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

What are the mental gymnastics these politicians use to argue that these laws are "right to work?"

It's an anti-union thing. See, those mean old unions want to keep YOU from being allowed to work unless you join them and pay dues, therefore by passing laws that massively weaken the unions they're just looking out for the workers interests.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
pig poop balls

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the kid who sang at the end tonight was very good

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Loved John's European Country slam session.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Great episode. That weird salsa version of the Ode to Joy is unacceptable, Europe. Shame on you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This episode was extremely my poo poo. It blows my mind that the UK is this close to undoing 80 years of peace and social progress in Europe.

It's also kinda funny that the country that spent whole centuries invading and colonising foreign lands would turn out so xenophobic.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Unkempt posted:

There used to be a huge thread about this in D&D which spawned a website full of American healthcare horror stories, but I can't remember what it was called.

I think you're referring to http://www.pluralofanecdote.com/

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Unpaid overtime is legal? Seriously? The job I lost recently had built in overtimes. monday to friday, one day off, and alternating weekends. Hoidays you had the one day off. 6 day a week work. If I or anybody else had been shorted on hours, or not been paid, that factory would have burned to the god drat ground and I'd have lit the torch.

Workers rights need a shakeup in the US, for real, but workers also need to value themselves way more than they do. Kids need to be educated that their work is worth more than their hourly rate. THey need to understand that their value as a worker is something exponentially greater than what you're being paid, and when some fuckstain is working you to death for 7.25 an hour and then asking you to stay and do chores off the clock, you should not only be able to say "go gently caress yourself" and keep your job, you should be able to walk in with an attorney the next day and ruin that goddamn business with the settlement you get.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

Unpaid overtime is legal? Seriously? The job I lost recently had built in overtimes. monday to friday, one day off, and alternating weekends. Hoidays you had the one day off. 6 day a week work. If I or anybody else had been shorted on hours, or not been paid, that factory would have burned to the god drat ground and I'd have lit the torch.

There are rules about unpaid overtime.

Basically, if you're considered management, then you're generally salaried and part of accepting the position and the salary is the understanding that you may be asked to work more than the standard 40 hours per week, and you won't get monetary, or possibly any, compensation. In the same token, though, you may work less than the standard 40 hours, and your pay won't be docked.

If you aren't management, then you might get overtime for working over 40 hours per week. There are rules about how much money per year you can make before this cuts off, but if you're below that line, you're entitled to overtime pay.

Salaries are weird.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

hemophilia posted:

and when some fuckstain is working you to death for 7.25 an hour and then asking you to stay and do chores off the clock, you should not only be able to say "go gently caress yourself" and keep your job, you should be able to walk in with an attorney the next day and ruin that goddamn business with the settlement you get.

Have you ever tried contacting the DoL over something like this? You act like there isn't someone who won't take this issue seriously.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Veskit posted:

Have you ever tried contacting the DoL over something like this? You act like there isn't someone who won't take this issue seriously.

I've never been done dirty like this, my shittiest jobs were careful about making sure everyone got paid for their time on the clock and did not let people work if they had clocked out for the day.

I've had friends who have. When I was way into church stuff, I had friends who were getting jobs working for and with other christians. In christian bookstores or other outfits. All of them had complaints about doing hours or more of work off the clock.

Generally speaking, based on what happened to them, I advise against working for any company selling itself as a christian place.

I told them to file complaints and they said they wanted the job more than they wanted the $15 or $20 they ended up being owed every day in unpaid labor.

I assumed this was illegal, but some posts ITT confused me on the matter.

Many people do not care about their rights as workers too, they'll shrug, say they can't afford a lawyer and that they need the job.

IF you say "ACLU" around the kind of person who works for a small business christian store because they're a christian establishment, they're going to scream at you about abortion lawyers and murderers. Many people don't know they're being wronged, don't feel it's worth losing their job over, and cannot afford, or are morally unwilling to do what's needed to take the issue to court.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 20, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

hemophilia posted:

I told them to file complaints and they said they wanted the job more than they wanted the $15 or $20 they ended up being owed every day in unpaid labor.

I assumed this was illegal, but some posts ITT confused me on the matter.

You don't file a complaint to get your wages back you file a complaint to specifically have them stop doing that behavior. The DoL is a terrifying agency for any business and they don't gently caress around with them when they start snooping. Plus you can do it anonymously so your job is mostly secure unless they fire the entire staff (they wont because then it's retaliation)

If you're a salaried employee you're given a standard yearly wage, and you get paid the same amount regardless how much you work unless written into the policy otherwise (too much to go into). Currently you can be salaried at 30k a year, make "15 dollars an hour" but work 50 hours a week and lose out on a lot of money. Obama wants to raise the cap to 48k so unless your salary is above that amount you're entitled to overtime.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

This episode was extremely my poo poo. It blows my mind that the UK is this close to undoing 80 years of peace and social progress in Europe.

It's also kinda funny that the country that spent whole centuries invading and colonising foreign lands would turn out so xenophobic.

The age old philosophical question, what came first the xenophobia or the mass-murder of indigenous people for being different.

For "fun" try looking at the comments for this segment, it's some concentrated insane racism even by Youtube standards. Something similar happened on the EU immigration segment too. Britian doesn't seem to have the same "try to put my overt racism in the most PC terms possible in public" filter that the US tends to have, it's both incredibly distressing and refreshingly honest. Identifying terrible human beings has never been easier!

EDIT: "Pro-globalist agenda" "regressive liberals" I'm learning so many new terms!

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 20, 2016

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Veskit posted:

You don't file a complaint to get your wages back you file a complaint to specifically have them stop doing that behavior. The DoL is a terrifying agency for any business and they don't gently caress around with them when they start snooping. Plus you can do it anonymously so your job is mostly secure unless they fire the entire staff (they wont because then it's retaliation)

If you're a salaried employee you're given a standard yearly wage, and you get paid the same amount regardless how much you work unless written into the policy otherwise (too much to go into). Currently you can be salaried at 30k a year, make "15 dollars an hour" but work 50 hours a week and lose out on a lot of money. Obama wants to raise the cap to 48k so unless your salary is above that amount you're entitled to overtime.

I don't think it's wants to raise the cap, it's going to happen. From what I understand, no one had bothered to tell the people in charge of that regulation to update it for inflation until him, and now that he has it's over. It takes time to take effect, but that's just bureaucracy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

seaborgium posted:

I don't think it's wants to raise the cap, it's going to happen. From what I understand, no one had bothered to tell the people in charge of that regulation to update it for inflation until him, and now that he has it's over. It takes time to take effect, but that's just bureaucracy.

Wants to is the same thing I mean come on retangle and square conundrum.

It also doesn't time time to put in place because of bureaucracy it takes time so businesses can adjust. What the gently caress you literally can't spring something like that on people without time and exact it to work.

No fortune 500 company could adjust to that change without at least a month, and in general you need 6 months to plan something major like that. This is a super political move which is why he didn't want to do it and only did it because wage laws haven't really moved under his presidency.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Are you two having a stroke or is my reading comprehension just broken?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

Well they weren't exactly doing it to make friends.

It seems like racism/xenophobia is just in the zeitgeist right now. I guess it's just the same old story of "general economic issues + scary current events" and immigrants being an easy scapegoat.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Not enough French bashing in the Europe song.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I feel that the anti-Brexit topic was way too one sided. However, I don't know enough about the situation there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel that the anti-Brexit topic was way too one sided. However, I don't know enough about the situation there.

Basically, imagine if Trump became president and decided that the way to fix the US economy was to cut off all trade with Mexico and China.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Demiurge4 posted:

To be fair, the election of David Cameron and Boris Johnson was already starting on the path to undoing that, just on the local level than continental.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Basically, imagine if Trump became president and decided that the way to fix the US economy was to cut off all trade with Mexico and China.

Holy...holy poo poo. That just might work.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A little bird told me that LWT didn't run on Sky Atlantic in its regular UK slot tonight. It's been rescheduled for Thursday night at 10:10pm...which is exactly ten minutes after the polls close for the Brexit vote.

Is there a political campaign law at play there, or is it just Rupert Murdoch being an evil bastard? That's not saying both answers can't be right.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Reading the nationalistic brits lose their poo poo in the youtube comments is amazing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love the Brexit movement since it shows off all of the UK's crazies. It's good to see that America isn't the only place with nuts monkeying with the politics.

As for the actual idea of Britain leaving the EU, it seems like a bad idea from a practical, diplomatic, or financial standpoint, but then again, this sort of decision is what sovereignty is all about. Sure, theoretically the country would do better with access to more resources and all that, but sometimes people just want total independent mastery of their own fates. Every time I hear about a new independence movement or further balkanization, I have the same baffled lack of understanding as to why it's happening, but I guess I have to respect their beliefs, no matter how bizarre they seem.

Of course, America has a much more clear policy on independence. Sure, we'll let some territories go from back during our old colonial days (our days of colonizing as opposed to being colonies), but once a state, always a state, no matter what. Although maybe certain ludicrously massive states should be split up, but that would probably go horribly wrong anyways, so why bother.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

EasyEW posted:

A little bird told me that LWT didn't run on Sky Atlantic in its regular UK slot tonight. It's been rescheduled for Thursday night at 10:10pm...which is exactly ten minutes after the polls close for the Brexit vote.

Is there a political campaign law at play there, or is it just Rupert Murdoch being an evil bastard? That's not saying both answers can't be right.

The former, the U.K. Is quite strict on this kind of thing

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I mean if the UK adopted the Euro of course they should leave. But they haven't. They seem to be reaping all of the benefits with none of the sacrifice.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean if the UK adopted the Euro of course they should leave. But they haven't. They seem to be reaping all of the benefits with none of the sacrifice.

Just out of curiosity, does Sweden have the same sort of anti-EU forces going on on the political stage there as well, since their situation is similar? Like iirc they kept the kronor instead of the Euro?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Total Meatlove posted:

The former, the U.K. Is quite strict on this kind of thing

I know it'd have a small fraction of the viewership, but is the Brexit piece geoblocked on YouTube in the UK as well?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

I know it'd have a small fraction of the viewership, but is the Brexit piece geoblocked on YouTube in the UK as well?

No, and normally it is until after the Sky Atlantic broadcast.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For americans its a situation closer to like where trump wants to withdraw from NATO. A thing he actually wants to do. That is or was a campaign plank of his. What he's gonna do is a constantly changing adlib so forgive me if I'm outdated. Its a dumb potentially disastrous thing, where much the pull is coming from one of the more powerful members, that if realized creates a potentially disastrous scenario that nobody understanding it should even want. Im not sure a 'brexit' affects me like a nato exit would, but i know the leading advocates seem crazy as gently caress people who are desperate to appear and feel superior to someone or everyone I guess they are lacking for enough of that from the uk these days, turning outward for their fix? Thought the uk was working on that. Im worried yall saw all this trump poo poo over here and have relapsed, making bad as decisions on bigot fumes?:ohdear:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

stone cold posted:

Just out of curiosity, does Sweden have the same sort of anti-EU forces going on on the political stage there as well, since their situation is similar? Like iirc they kept the kronor instead of the Euro?
Swede here, and if there are the same sort of forces here I haven't really noticed them much. I mean there's SD, or Sverigedemokraterna ("The Sweden Democrats"), our equivalent of UKIP and its ilk, and I'm pretty sure they want to get out of the EU for similar reasons. But thankfully not with enough followers to make it seem like there's a large movement about it.

Then again, I'm not the best at keeping up with national news, so maybe there's something I've missed. I remember seeing a headline some weeks ago along the lines of "Britain leaving the EU could create renewed hope for a 'Swexit'" and going "oh for gently caress's sake" to myself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

Im worried yall saw all this trump poo poo over here and have relapsed, making bad as decisions on bigot fumes?:ohdear:

Nah, ukip predates the current presidential campaigns by a few years at least. It's just a bunch of idiots independently reaching the same conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Whatever the British version of a Tea Party is

• Locked thread