Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Peanut3141 posted:

Just discovered I'd apparently modified the fan curve by clicking the gear to the left of fan speed. Unclicking that puts the fans off while watching YouTube, so I think I reenabled passive mode. I might play some more XCOM2 and see how the temps are. Hilarious that taxes the GPU far more than Dark Souls 3. It really is poorly optimized.

I topped out at a core clock of 2139 and memory of 4552.

Sweet, better chip than mine I could about touch 2100 but it was doing uncomfortable things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Peanut3141 posted:

This is what my OC settings are. Maybe someday I'll figure out how much further I can push the core/memory and if I can make the voltage controllable. So far I'm too busy playing other games to grind Afterburner.

My temp topped out at 63 after hours of playing Dark Souls 3 & XCOM2, but usually hangs around 60C. I just left the fan on the default curve.

Holy poo poo, I haven't seen UI design that bad since AVAST antivirus :gonk:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Ok sounds like people are saying keep the Gigabyte and the improved performance on that Gainward in the Hardware Unboxed review was just silicone lottery?

Even though the memory and GPU are clocked higher out the box my assumption was the Top end of both cards is the same as most 1080 so it's all lottery. Could increase the G1 to the Gainward speeds if Alls well?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Linx posted:

Holy poo poo, I haven't seen UI design that bad since AVAST antivirus :gonk:

I know, I hate that and the EVGA ones is basically the same. They are both so busy and awful I have to strain to focus in on a part of it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Bleh Maestro posted:

I know, I hate that and the EVGA ones is basically the same. They are both so busy and awful I have to strain to focus in on a part of it.

Go into the settings and turn on the default afterburner skin. It is way less cluttered and easier to use.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Blackfyre posted:

silicone lottery

Some are definitely better than others

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Dislike button posted:

Some are definitely better than others

I hate posting from my phone.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Don't get your hopes up, I very much doubt the 480 will come anywhere close to a 980 Ti or overclock nearly as high as people want it to. If it could AMD would be touting it, why let Nvidia sell 1070s when they could be shouting from the rooftops about 980 Ti level performance for $200-$240? Why would the 480 need loads of power to OC like mad but not the massive cooling that generally comes with shoving tons of power through a chip? If it can OC so high then why not make cards with an AIO built in? They already did that with the Fury X and even if it added $50-$60 to the price it would be well worth it to be able to talk about how your new card can come close to the 980 Ti for only $300.

i do think there's some logic in AMD keeping a good card under wraps until the 29th and then dropping the bomb at once. like, "here's our card, it's as expected, it's actually available at the price we advertised (instead of the $80 premium for 1070s), and we have plenty of stock. go nuts." people get hyped up on launch days and they'd probably get a lot of potential 1070 buyers to pull the trigger on a whim. whereas they might not get the same sales if you have weeks to think about it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

There's also a big difference between performing like a 980 Ti when overclocked and performing like a 980 Ti that is overclocked.

e: Thanks phone. Overclocked is a word.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 19, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If anyone can read Chinese, there's a thread here: https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1606794-1-1.html that appears to have people with cards posting benchmarks. I can't make any sense of it, but maybe one of you can.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Go into the settings and turn on the default afterburner skin. It is way less cluttered and easier to use.

I find the detachable monitor of that skin nicer than the default skin's monitor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

xthetenth posted:

There's also a big difference between performing like a 980 Ti when over locked and performing like a 980 Ti that is over locked.

My guess is that it's this plus it being limited to specific setups/ circumstances plus the advantage being mostly in DX12 games, which mostly aren't out yet.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is that it's this plus it being limited to specific setups/ circumstances plus the advantage being mostly in DX12 games, which mostly aren't out yet.

Thanks for commemorating my phone spelling shame.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bardeh posted:

If anyone can read Chinese, there's a thread here: https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1606794-1-1.html that appears to have people with cards posting benchmarks. I can't make any sense of it, but maybe one of you can.
I wonder where these loving trucks are, there's quite a few 480s falling out of them

gemuse
Oct 13, 2005

Bardeh posted:

Protip: Google translate of that thread is hilarious. Example:

Google Tanslate posted:

quote:

PolyMorph published in 2016-6-19 22:19
dog monkey East Service

I think that if the strength of massage parlors not manage the public version of the card
company really went out of ~
play hardware 10 next year, so far, have not seen such a big difference on the appearance of the public version of the card

E: Today I learned that ASUS is NOT a bird, but despite this, their motherboards can do everything humans can in agricultural enterprises.

gemuse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 19, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I wonder where these loving trucks are, there's quite a few 480s falling out of them

With hi-tech and super-secure manufacturing processes like these, I couldn't possibly speculate!

Luftwaffel
Dec 30, 2015
When's the review embargo end for the Radeon 480X? Was it the 29th?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Bleh Maestro posted:

Yeah it drives me nuts as a software developer to see this sort of crap UI.

• The "menu" on the top left, the first two pop up new windows, the bottom 3 are toggles to enable them. Inconsistent visual relation of click action.
  • The yellow arrows on the left and right of "Precision OC X" switch between 3 modes of the center area. You might click the left one and it does nothing so you think "well this is just an image" but no it is just an arrow that should be disabled or hidden because we're on the first "tab".
  • The lightning bolt on the left is to overvolt or something? Clicking it is incredibly imprecise and it gives you a percentage which equals what exactly? Also after clicking it, trying to get it back down to 0% is almost impossible because you have a 1 pixel high area to click.
  • There is some sort of voltage/overclock graph for setting voltages and frequencies, but the UI is an analog graph and I am really not entirely sure if I am overclocking here or overvolting.
  • The right bar is the card temperature, clicking it does nothing, in contrast to the identical looking control on the left side. Again, inconsistent visual relation to action. Things that do different things should look different!
  • Arrows on the frequency gauge at... somewhere? It is hard to tell what the clocks are because A) they're analog B) the gauge doesn't indicate which line on it is represented by the number below it. The current set clocks are nowhere in the UI.
  • Tooltips are range from 5 lines of text to a whopping 16 lines of text. Should we present this wall of text in a more digestible format? Nah. Also our developers have never heard of TTM_SETDELAYTIME to increase the timeout of the tooltip duratation so you'll never be able to read it all. Finally, because we neglected to use actual windows controls or define proper control regions, each pixel is a new control which means if you move your mouse one pixel, the block of text you're trying to read before it disappears will hide and reshow.
  • The options screen accessed from the gear icon has an ok button on the bottom that is only for the current tab of options, despite looking like it is a global OK, as none of the tab areas mark out their client area. Changing tabs resets the values of the previous tab back to their previous values. Also, we decided to use dark grey text on a black background for our edit boxes because that makes perfect sense.
  • Launching this piece of poo poo app requires you enter your first name, last name, an email address, and a serial number before it will open. Because it is such amazing software, we need to keep people out of this.
  • Some of the dialogs are aqua on black, some are orange on black, some are white on black.
:goonsay:

Also I will say that this EVGA 1080 SC on the default clocks has locked up hard once (static noise filled screen) and had two "the video driver stopped responding and has been restarted" errors in the past 12 hours while just browsing the internet or sitting idle. Not sure if the card is crap or the drivers need work still. Power supply is a Corsair 550 RMx and idle power at the wall is 120W. Even maxed out, this computer only pulls ~405W at the wall.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnBry posted:

Also I will say that this EVGA 1080 SC on the default clocks has locked up hard once (static noise filled screen) and had two "the video driver stopped responding and has been restarted" errors in the past 12 hours while just browsing the internet or sitting idle. Not sure if the card is crap or the drivers need work still. Power supply is a Corsair 550 RMx and idle power at the wall is 120W. Even maxed out, this computer only pulls ~405W at the wall.

AMD has been known for bad drivers. Er, nVidia.

We've always been at war with Oceania.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So once my GPU gets here if I want to try overclocking it (or my CPU) should I just download and use Afterburner since I have a MSI motherboard? It seems to be very popular for OC/monitoring and looks really handy.

PerrineClostermann posted:

AMD has been known for bad drivers. Er, nVidia.

We've always been at war with Oceania.

I saw a bunch of posts about issues with the newest Nvidia drivers and people mentioning 382.22 or so from a few weeks ago seems much more stable. I know Nvidia had issues with a couple driver sets earlier this year as well, but it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as that span about 5-6 years ago where they kept loving up constantly. I know when I built my last PC I got a 5850 instead of an Nvidia card in large part due to the constant driver issues.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luftwaffel posted:

When's the review embargo end for the Radeon 480X? Was it the 29th?

Yeah looks like everything is under NDA until release.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

CapnBry posted:

Boot to safe mode, use DDU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The really funny thing is that while that's a good price it wasn't actually abnormally low or anything. 290 prices bottomed out around $180 for ref cards and $200 for aftermarket cards (in the time period right before the 390 launched).

I had no idea they were this low for a while. At $200, a custom-cooled 290 seems a way better buy than anything in nVidias stack at the time.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
If you already had a decent power supply and adequate cooling anyway.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Seamonster posted:

If you already had a decent power supply and adequate cooling anyway.

No. Outright. There's plenty of room to buy a sufficient power supply while still having amazing price/performance and quite possibly a PSU and case (and the case would have benefits in noise reduction).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

More unsubstantiated rumors! Who knows if it's a photoshop or not?! No one! (Jesus gently caress just release benches already, AMD. FFS.)

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

More unsubstantiated rumors! Who knows if it's a photoshop or not?! No one! (Jesus gently caress just release benches already, AMD. FFS.)

well now we know how AMD/Global Foundries got it's hands on Samsung's FINFET. They agreed to buy samsung ram modules for their video cards

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For how terrible the interface for EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner still are, does anyone use the latest version of Nvidia Inspector and just use its super simple but easy to use OC interface? You can even save each OC profile as a shortcut to your desktop and set ones to run on boot once you have one you like.

The only reason I use Precision is for the custom fan Profiles and the G19 LCD screen stats for stuff like Clock speed, usage, temp, fps, etc. Trying to get it to work as easy as Inspector for overclocking has never appealed to me personally.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Ninkobei posted:

well now we know how AMD/Global Foundries got it's hands on Samsung's FINFET. They agreed to buy samsung ram modules for their video cards

Global Foundries got it's hands on Samsung's 14nm FinFET by being part of the Common Platform Technology Alliance.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wouldn't be surprised if there *was* some wheeling and dealing going on.

I mean, my personal pet theory is that AMD is going to move to Samsung wholesale anyways, so to me, this is just more evidence to being integrated into Samsung's vertical ecosystem.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 20, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
And why wouldn't you? The cost savings would be substantial on high volume products.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

It's also possible AMD due to significant losses on the GPU front are working with Samsung on their mobile products in exchange for a discount on DRAM. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new phone soon with "AMD Graphics Technology" from Samsung married to their current ARM core as a marketing tool to offset the GPU in the latest Apple phones. That said, unless you're a shareholder in AMD, you will pretty much be told to see the door when asking about stuff like this.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
So I bought a EVGA 980ti FTW at the firesale, returned it when a Asus 1070FE was in stock last friday and recieved it saturday. Been really happy with it since it's way less power hungry/hot than the 980ti, performance was about the same.

But now my local store has a MSI 1070 Gaming X ready for pickup, gently caress my life am I really going to return this 1070FE?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
More RX 480 leaks:

Apparently it's running at stock clocks. A stock GTX 980 averages between 5800-6000 for comparison. It's going to be interesting to see how far the AIB guys can push it with custom coolers and power delivery.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

snuff posted:

So I bought a EVGA 980ti FTW at the firesale, returned it when a Asus 1070FE was in stock last friday and recieved it saturday. Been really happy with it since it's way less power hungry/hot than the 980ti, performance was about the same.

But now my local store has a MSI 1070 Gaming X ready for pickup, gently caress my life am I really going to return this 1070FE?

Those are retarded expensive now though , they have nothing better but cheaper ?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Rukus posted:

More RX 480 leaks:

Apparently it's running at stock clocks. A stock GTX 980 averages between 5800-6000 for comparison. It's going to be interesting to see how far the AIB guys can push it with custom coolers and power delivery.

Pretty good (for $200)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rukus posted:

More RX 480 leaks:

As someone who knows very little about overclocking, how plausible are the rumors of 1500Mhz factory overclocks from some companies? Lots of people over on the AMD subreddit seem to be buying into the hype, but it seems quite suspicious that even though we have all these leaks, we don't have definitive evidence of any huge OCs yet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My reference 980Ti wouldn't boost past 1075MHz. It ran happily at about 1200MHz after just increasing the power limit and max temp. There's aftermarket ones that boost over 1400Mhz. (mine now happily runs at 1600mhz now that I have a water block on it)

I can definitely see people getting mad clocks out of a new process.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bardeh posted:

As someone who knows very little about overclocking, how plausible are the rumors of 1500Mhz factory overclocks from some companies? Lots of people over on the AMD subreddit seem to be buying into the hype, but it seems quite suspicious that even though we have all these leaks, we don't have definitive evidence of any huge OCs yet.

it's not suspicious that we have blurry photos of chinese monitors but nothing concrete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

Rukus posted:

More RX 480 leaks:

Stock as in 1gz or the 1.2gz boost?