Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
In other food-trying news, I finally made it to Jia in Ponce city market, an outpost of Peter Cheng's Tasty China.

The food was really good - if not top notch for Szechuan, and the place had relatively reasonable prices. I will definitely be going back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also, in other other news, Grindhouse is now open in Decatur.

looking forward to an even closer location down the street from me at memorial. :hellyeah:

PS, has anyone been to the revival Biergarten? total rich-folk bizarro land. the outdoor space is great, but you have to buy 'tokens' when you get in ($5/token), and they don't tell you what a token buys. I went for my first time, bought 1 token because the dude at the front told me it would get me a beer, and come to the bar, and a token apparently gets an 8 ounce half pour of beer. If you want food, expect to pay at least 3 tokens, plus a full beer for 2 more, and you have $25 for your basic lunch before you even tip or anything else...

dunno, rubbed me the wrong way!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
O4W pizza is closing their O4W location and will only be operating their upcoming Duluth location.

I have really enjoyed Porch Light Latin Kitchen in Smyrna. I've been there about a half-dozen times in the last three months and always enjoyed myself thoroughly. The chef there is a really, really nice guy and I hope he has great success there. It is meat-centric pan-Latin place with particular emphasis from Puerto Rico. review

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

mindphlux posted:

awesome, I'll have to check wagaya out.

Hajime was good, but having just been to raku, I think raku nails it food wise, whereas hajime left me going 'eh' food quality wise. their broth just wasn't up to umaido standards. tons of service issues too, but the byob status (at least, last time I went) was a plus.

I'll have to check out raku again. I'm pretty sure I went there a few years and wasn't terribly impressed, but I'm always down to re-check places. On the flip side of that, I'd actually avoid Umaido at this point. Over the past year their quality has really nosedived and now that there are options in town, there's no reason to make that drive to Duluth.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Try the miso ramen. Try it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

roobots posted:

I'll have to check out raku again. I'm pretty sure I went there a few years and wasn't terribly impressed, but I'm always down to re-check places. On the flip side of that, I'd actually avoid Umaido at this point. Over the past year their quality has really nosedived and now that there are options in town, there's no reason to make that drive to Duluth.

it's just the tonkatsu broth. lord that broth is milky and delicious. I don't even try to recreate it, nor do I really try to recreate pho broths of places I love. It's like sacred territory that I'm not comfortable wandering onto.

well, their udon broth was on point too - I pride myself on making a great bowl of nabeyaki udon, and I'd admit their broth was probably better than mine if I'm being charitable. at least on par with mine, and I've spent countless hours honing that dish.

I don't make any disclaimers about the quality of their noodles, side dishes, anything else really - but the broths were Correct, with a capital C. (and I hope/assume those recipes don't vary too much, considering that's kind of their "umaido outpost" selling point.)

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 9, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

O4W pizza is closing their O4W location and will only be operating their upcoming Duluth location.

I have really enjoyed Porch Light Latin Kitchen in Smyrna. I've been there about a half-dozen times in the last three months and always enjoyed myself thoroughly. The chef there is a really, really nice guy and I hope he has great success there. It is meat-centric pan-Latin place with particular emphasis from Puerto Rico. review

does anyone know the story with Irwin street market?

http://atlanta.eater.com/2016/6/8/11883078/o4w-pizza-closing-irwin-street-market

it seems like every restaurant that sets up shop there leaves due to some sort of weird lease issue. C.F. bell street burritos, and some other place that was in there. I remember the restaurant owner saying something like the landlord was a total prick or something.

the space is so wonky I'd never personally consider leasing it or even asking the rates, but it just has always struck me as an odd, strange, sad, empty place - and there's usually a reason when rental spaces end up like that.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

does anyone know the story with Irwin street market?

it seems like every restaurant that sets up shop there leaves due to some sort of weird lease issue. C.F. bell street burritos, and some other place that was in there. I remember the restaurant owner saying something like the landlord was a total prick or something.

Jake, of Jake's Ice Cream, owns the market and I've never heard or read a good thing about him as a landlord.

I know that a while ago there was some discussion of O4W Pizza moving to Krog Street Market (Varuni Napoli will instead fill the pizza spot). So one may guess that the Irwin location may have always been thought of as temporary, so I wouldn't necessarily chalk this move up to the landlord.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yeah Jake Rothschild is a massive fuckhead. My first job was working at Jake's when I moved here, in the building where Jack's is now.

Lots of terrible poo poo, but bouncing paychecks more often than not and actually living in the same exact space they made all the ice cream were probably the worst I can remember offhand.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

Goddammit this is tragic news. Grandma Pie via Favor/Postmates has been my go-to delivery pizza for months. I'm devastated.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

Goddammit this is tragic news. Grandma Pie via Favor/Postmates has been my go-to delivery pizza for months. I'm devastated.

Apropos of nothing, are/were you friends with Ty Walker? If so, I think we met years ago in VA.

Anyway, I'm told O4W Pizza's rent at Irwin was absurd ($120/sqft). Apparently they're open some nights at the Duluth location and are running out of dough nightly.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Anyone else been to Double Zero? Ate there a bit ago for my wife's birthday and enjoyed what I had.

I had the 'carbonara', which is unlike any kind of carbonara I've ever had before but drat if it wasn't a delicious lamb pasta dish. The wife had the lobster pappardelle which left us similarly impressed. It's hard to find nice italianeque foods that are super tasty when also having to avoid peppers (including bell peppers) for her allergy.

Which was a shame when they said they put actual pepper flakes in their ginger beer to make it spicier? I don't know about that at all.

I wouldn't eat there too often since it's not the most affordable for our budget even though the portion size isn't too stingy, and I definitely want to try more stuff there.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

Apropos of nothing, are/were you friends with Ty Walker? If so, I think we met years ago in VA.

Anyway, I'm told O4W Pizza's rent at Irwin was absurd ($120/sqft). Apparently they're open some nights at the Duluth location and are running out of dough nightly.

I was! And wrote some for juniorpainkiller. Never visited him in VA though... Did we meet at a goon meetup at Piedmont Park maybe? I think I remember meeting you and StraightRazor (lol forum history) and some other goons a loooong time ago.

Sucks that Irwin St has been such a terrible spot for anything not owned by Rathbun; you'd think they could better leverage the success of KSM. Is the one in Duluth still called O4W Pizza? Cause that'd be weird.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

I was! And wrote some for juniorpainkiller. Never visited him in VA though... Did we meet at a goon meetup at Piedmont Park maybe? I think I remember meeting you and StraightRazor (lol forum history) and some other goons a loooong time ago.

I never been to a goonmeet at Piedmont Park, so that wasn't me. I was visiting with Jeremiah (gonna assume you know him -- we went to high school and Tech together) in NJ/PA, and then we were driving down to Tech. Along the way we stopped for a day or two with Ty and we went to your house. I believe one of your neighbors was having a yard sale.

Lawen posted:

Sucks that Irwin St has been such a terrible spot for anything not owned by Rathbun; you'd think they could better leverage the success of KSM. Is the one in Duluth still called O4W Pizza? Cause that'd be weird.

The Duluth location is still "O4W". They officially open July 1, but have been opening some weekend nights.

If I remember the numbers correctly, O4W's rent per sqft was almost twice that a KSM place. That seems absurd. So perhaps only saner property management would provide successes at Irwin St. I miss Bell Street being there. I haven't had a Bell Street burrito in years.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I really don't know what the point of Rothschild's, uh, "empire" is. He quickly runs off every successful outsider who opens up shop in Irwin Street Market, and his own concepts run from "OK, I guess" (the ice cream) to "LOL terrible" (the overpriced kebob thing that lasted less than a year). Irwin Street Market, the building itself, is junky and strange. ISM would make a killing if someone with legit, non-scammy business sense was running the place.

Additional note from around that area—looks like Last Word at the corner of Sampson and Highland might be closed. Space has been dark for a couple of weeks and they aren't updating social media anymore. Shame. P'Cheen, which used to occupy the space, never set your heart on fire but it integrated itself quite well to the neighborhood...something Last Word never really did.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

D.N. Nation posted:

I really don't know what the point of Rothschild's, uh, "empire" is. He quickly runs off every successful outsider who opens up shop in Irwin Street Market, and his own concepts run from "OK, I guess" (the ice cream) to "LOL terrible" (the overpriced kebob thing that lasted less than a year). Irwin Street Market, the building itself, is junky and strange. ISM would make a killing if someone with legit, non-scammy business sense was running the place.

He's just an idiot. It's important to remember that back when I worked there, I believe there were 5 seperate Jake's Ice Cream locations that were making a killing in traffic and profits. I have always wondered exactly what he did to run such a flourishing and profitable business into the ground so rapidly, but clearly he hasn't learned from it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

He's just an idiot. It's important to remember that back when I worked there, I believe there were 5 seperate Jake's Ice Cream locations that were making a killing in traffic and profits. I have always wondered exactly what he did to run such a flourishing and profitable business into the ground so rapidly, but clearly he hasn't learned from it.

I liked the contrast in that side space between when it was occupied by Bell Street (always packed, line out the door, great neighborhood atmosphere) and when it was occupied by his kebob concept (empty, depressing, somewhat creepy).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have suggestions as to where I can get kolaches that isn't Cake Hag or Buford Highway Farmers Market?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

D.N. Nation posted:

Additional note from around that area—looks like Last Word at the corner of Sampson and Highland might be closed. Space has been dark for a couple of weeks and they aren't updating social media anymore. Shame. P'Cheen, which used to occupy the space, never set your heart on fire but it integrated itself quite well to the neighborhood...something Last Word never really did.

too bad about last word, but I can't say I didn't see it coming. the prices and food quality / atmosphere or whatever never really meshed for me. I would go for drinks sometimes, but every time I went for a meal the folks I was with were underwhelmed by the food, or put off by cost, or the service waffled. any one of those independently is forgivable, but 2/3 is a death knell.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://atlanta.eater.com/2016/7/5/12097510/canteen-replacing-spence-general-muir

I've been waiting for this to be official for a while.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I work down the street from there. That is fantastic news.

I still need to try Atwood's in the Biltmore too.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Gonna get so fat from easy access to Fred's cheesesteak.

I work in the Biltmore. Atwood's is pretty drat good, I eat there at least once a week. Pizza is solid, a couple of the sandwiches are great, co-workers say the breakfast is really good (especially the chicken biscuit and breakfast pizzas), and they make a good espresso. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

I work in the Biltmore. Atwood's is pretty drat good, I eat there at least once a week. Pizza is solid, a couple of the sandwiches are great...

What sandwiches do you recommend?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

venutolo posted:

What sandwiches do you recommend?

The Club is a big, sloppy, delicious mess. The South of Philly is like a hybrid Chicago Beef + pot roast sandwich. The Reuben is solid. I also like the Muffaletta despite the bread being wrong (French bread sub roll thing instead of flatter sesame loaf). Haven't tried the meatball parm yet but have heard it's tasty.

They always have a special or two as well, sometimes pizzas, sometimes sandwiches; the ones I've tried have all been really good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

alright, I gotta know - the article references the rumor mongers, and obviously you've had an ear on this for a minute - where do you find out about this sorta thing? are there secret atlanta forums somewhere? just talking to the owners?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Oh god, my office is across from here. I'm going to become a fatass eating their bagels every day. Man, I wonder if this will close down Revelator since they are hidden over on the other side. I just started getting coffee there.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

alright, I gotta know - the article references the rumor mongers, and obviously you've had an ear on this for a minute - where do you find out about this sorta thing? are there secret atlanta forums somewhere? just talking to the owners?

I know the owners, and some of the employees who run their restaurants, well. One of my closest friends will be one of the people running the new location. I first heard about the plans for The Canteen (and that The Spence was closing) a couple months ago. The official paperwork was signed last weekend. Significant preparation like menu planning had and hiring had already started weeks earlier.

I know them and hear about some of their business stuff, like where they're looking or what properties have approached them. Some of it comes to fruition, like this The Canteen, and some doesn't (other potential locations), and I have an idea of what concept they might do in the future.

Also, since I know them and other restaurant people, and they know other restaurant and property people, I hear other rumors related to restaurants and properties. For example I heard rumor of an Apple Store at Ponce City Market months ago. I forget the details of it, but the gist of it was that there was significant consideration on Apple's part. I have no idea of the veracity of this or if it still could happen. (edit: Or maybe it was at Westside Provisions. Or maybe I heard both.)

I have no idea in what confidence I'm told this information, so I basically don't spread it around. I certainly would never post any insider info about the TGM/Fred's/Yalla/West Egg peoples' business because I don't want to gently caress up something for people who I like very much and take great care of me.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 8, 2016

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

For example I heard rumor of an Apple Store at Ponce City Market months ago.
I believe it's going in Colony Square, though pro interest in Apple is all but dead so I could not care less (I run a farm of Pros across the street whose GPUs can never be updated). On topic- if you work near CS, Establishment has some knowledgeable bartenders who give a poo poo and a diverse library of spirits. Octane coffee attached to Woodruff is now open and has a soft-opening menu and will do some healthy lunch fare. Also- the man/woman combo running food in Huge Cafe have really fabulous buns. Lamb, oxtail, fish buns- really great coffee from Brash beans, as well. ~Midtown life~

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

though pro interest in Apple is all but dead so I could not care less

What does this mean? "Pro" meaning professional, Mac Pro, or something else? Why has "pro" interest in Apple died off?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I know the owners, and some of the employees who run their restaurants, well. One of my closest friends will be one of the people running the new location. I first heard about the plans for The Canteen (and that The Spence was closing) a couple months ago. The official paperwork was signed last weekend. Significant preparation like menu planning had and hiring had already started weeks earlier.

I know them and hear about some of their business stuff, like where they're looking or what properties have approached them. Some of it comes to fruition, like this The Canteen, and some doesn't (other potential locations), and I have an idea of what concept they might do in the future.

Also, since I know them and other restaurant people, and they know other restaurant and property people, I hear other rumors related to restaurants and properties. For example I heard rumor of an Apple Store at Ponce City Market months ago. I forget the details of it, but the gist of it was that there was significant consideration on Apple's part. I have no idea of the veracity of this or if it still could happen. (edit: Or maybe it was at Westside Provisions. Or maybe I heard both.)

I have no idea in what confidence I'm told this information, so I basically don't spread it around. I certainly would never post any insider info about the TGM/Fred's/Yalla/West Egg peoples' business because I don't want to gently caress up something for people who I like very much and take great care of me.

you are awesome ^_^

I just should talk to people more when I go eat at places. I've been doing that more recently and of course everyone is super friendly and eager to talk about their ambitions. hurray Atlanta restaurant scene.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

What does this mean? "Pro" meaning professional, Mac Pro, or something else? Why has "pro" interest in Apple died off?

Sorry- for VFX and VR dev I can no longer use the platform. Quite niche I'm sure. Shaders from vendors that require nvidia workstation cards, performance upgrades I can't have (even shoehorned over thunderbolt without official eGPU support in the OS) that need something better than the AMD cards in the 2013 Pros to power headsets. I'm bitter about tricked out 2013 Pros I can only use as render farm nodes or basic edit bays.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I just should talk to people more when I go eat at places. I've been doing that more recently and of course everyone is super friendly and eager to talk about their ambitions. hurray Atlanta restaurant scene.

You should. I'm not really a sociable person and have a hard time approaching people, but it makes it much easier when I can talk to someone about restaurants and food. I also think people are more likely to approach me because I eat alone (so they're not interrupting a conversation), and I probably stick out a bit (so I go to a place a couple times, they recognize me, and then think I'm some sort of regular). I also make it a point to say thank you to not just my server, but the management or kitchen people if available. They also probably like people who get and have interest in what they're doing, treat their people well, and have worthwhile feedback.

e: I talked to Ford Fry a month ago at Superica and he was really nice. I was wearing a Killen's BBQ hat (one of the best BBQ places in Texas). Killen's is outside of Houston, where Fry and I are from. Fry opened a restaurant in Houston last year that has been very successful. So we talked about how incredibly good Killen's is and about Atlanta BBQ and other things. I told him I tried to get into his Houston restaurant last time I was in Houston and they were booked up. He told me to message him next time I was in Houston and he'd make sure I got a table. He also offered to hook me up at Marcel if I wanted to take a date there. So he was super nice. I know how much you love Fry, so I'm sure you are super jealous.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 9, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

You should. I'm not really a sociable person and have a hard time approaching people, but it makes it much easier when I can talk to someone about restaurants and food. I also think people are more likely to approach me because I eat alone (so they're not interrupting a conversation), and I probably stick out a bit (so I go to a place a couple times, they recognize me, and then think I'm some sort of regular). I also make it a point to say thank you to not just my server, but the management or kitchen people if available. They also probably like people who get and have interest in what they're doing, treat their people well, and have worthwhile feedback.

e: I talked to Ford Fry a month ago at Superica and he was really nice. I was wearing a Killen's BBQ hat (one of the best BBQ places in Texas). Killen's is outside of Houston, where Fry and I are from. Fry opened a restaurant in Houston last year that has been very successful. So we talked about how incredibly good Killen's is and about Atlanta BBQ and other things. I told him I tried to get into his Houston restaurant last time I was in Houston and they were booked up. He told me to message him next time I was in Houston and he'd make sure I got a table. He also offered to hook me up at Marcel if I wanted to take a date there. So he was super nice. I know how much you love Fry, so I'm sure you are super jealous.

I don't have anything against fry as a person or an entrepreneur, just ethically and "for the sake of Atlanta's dining scene" I think he's poo poo. I'm sure we could hash it out over a beer. he seems like a nice guy. Anyways, I meaningfully invested in an ATL burger joint, so it's not like I can even speak on food culture ethics anymore. And I was born in houston too, so I guess we're all poo poo.

you going to killer tomato fest?

in other news, went to ton ton today. I fully support guy wong's game, and the food was decent (technical errors, 86'd items, and birthing pains aside) - but on the whole I was a bit concerned with the format. Ramen places have been getting a lot of attention recently (c.f. hajime, others) - and ton ton's offering was a little weak in comparison to others. flavors were more or less on, but portion size, side dishes, etc were a little bit of a letdown. We left hungry after spending about $50 on lunch for two - ordering just a bowl of ramen each and a couple sides and drinks.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

you going to killer tomato fest?

Nope. Hate crowds.

mindphlux posted:

in other news, went to ton ton today. I fully support guy wong's game, and the food was decent (technical errors, 86'd items, and birthing pains aside) - but on the whole I was a bit concerned with the format. Ramen places have been getting a lot of attention recently (c.f. hajime, others) - and ton ton's offering was a little weak in comparison to others. flavors were more or less on, but portion size, side dishes, etc were a little bit of a letdown. We left hungry after spending about $50 on lunch for two - ordering just a bowl of ramen each and a couple sides and drinks.

What is your go-to ITP ramen place?

I've been to Ton Ton twice and it has been messy. The first time I order a drink and an appetizer. My appetizer comes out and I eat it. My server tells me my ramen will be out in a minute. I had not ordered ramen yet. So I order ramen. Later some ramen is delivered to my table and it is not what I ordered. I still don't have my drink or even water. There is nobody around to tell and service has been so bad that I don't hold out much hope for a fix, so I figure I'll just eat what they've served me, get out of there ASAP, and get them to fix my bill when I pay. Eventually someone brings me the correct ramen and I get them to bring me my drink and water. My second visit was better, but it still took a really long time to get my ramen, and I was delivered the wrong ramen twice.

I did rather enjoy the tonkotsu and dan dan ramen. I did not enjoy the shoyu as much, but thought it was fine.

One (minor) thing that annoyed me was the menu had a number of things they weren't serving yet. The menus are just disposable, simple black and white pieces of paper. If you aren't going to have bubble tea for two weeks, don't put them on the menu yet!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Nope. Hate crowds.

What is your go-to ITP ramen place?

I've been to Ton Ton twice and it has been messy. The first time I order a drink and an appetizer. My appetizer comes out and I eat it. My server tells me my ramen will be out in a minute. I had not ordered ramen yet. So I order ramen. Later some ramen is delivered to my table and it is not what I ordered. I still don't have my drink or even water. There is nobody around to tell and service has been so bad that I don't hold out much hope for a fix, so I figure I'll just eat what they've served me, get out of there ASAP, and get them to fix my bill when I pay. Eventually someone brings me the correct ramen and I get them to bring me my drink and water. My second visit was better, but it still took a really long time to get my ramen, and I was delivered the wrong ramen twice.

I did rather enjoy the tonkotsu and dan dan ramen. I did not enjoy the shoyu as much, but thought it was fine.

One (minor) thing that annoyed me was the menu had a number of things they weren't serving yet. The menus are just disposable, simple black and white pieces of paper. If you aren't going to have bubble tea for two weeks, don't put them on the menu yet!

similar experience

we went, my gal don't eat pork but I was starving for some tonkotsu.

we waited a long time before anyone came over to the table. when someone came, I ordered a coke and the tonkotsu. "we're out of tonkotsu" gently caress!! why didn't you lead with this when you sat down our menus? or stamped an 86 on the menu? well poo poo ok, let me actually read the menu and let Katie order her drink. She orders black bubble tea. Waiter : "actually we don't have the black bubble tea"... katie : "ok, I'll have the thai bubble tea then instead". waiter : "Actually we aren't server any of the bubble tea yet"...

gently caress

I ordered a dan dan noodle and it was 1/4th the size / amount of food I was expecting for $14 or $15 or whatever it was. I didn't wanna bitch this much about ton ton, but since you had bad experiences too, I guess I'll let loose the juice.

for in town, I don't really have a place. I went to Yakitori Jinbei like 5 or 6 years ago and had some stellar tonkotsu, which kinda set my mark for what a good bowl is.

I thought raku on the westside was solid, and I've eaten at hajime a few times now, it's solid enough too. If you find / hear of any other good places, let us know...

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

I think I've said it before in here, but Wagaya off 14th in Midtown is my jam. Great and knowledgeable staff and easily the best ramen bowl in town. I think it's better than Jinya too. Just don't order their sushi unless you're getting it by the piece. The sushi platters and combos are mediocre, but by the piece cuts are excellent.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

roobots posted:

I think I've said it before in here, but Wagaya off 14th in Midtown is my jam. Great and knowledgeable staff and easily the best ramen bowl in town. I think it's better than Jinya too. Just don't order their sushi unless you're getting it by the piece. The sushi platters and combos are mediocre, but by the piece cuts are excellent.

I agree with this, but I had the spicy miso ramen at Jinya last week, and really enjoyed it, but I like both. Raku is ok if you want a quick lunch, but I think the broth is a little weak and they don't give you enough noodles.

Ton Ton is that new place at Ponce City? I thought it looked sketch when we walked by because there were no signs or anything. I wanted to try it but I was with a couple of Japanese people and they said it didn't look good to them. We had that Italian deli place at the end of the hall, and it wasn't that great, so we kind of had a bad time of it.

Have you guys been to Mamak on Buford? It's a Malaysian restaurant and we went last weekend. That place kicked rear end, much better than Penang, and we are going back next weekend. The hainanese chicken is like melted butter in my mouth. Also, we ordered chicken porridge for the kids, thinking we should get something easy for them, and it was as good as my mom's arrozcaldo(filipino chicken porridge), and that's really high praise, considering I've been trying to make it the same way for years, and it never tastes the same somehow. I also got sambal squid, which I always get at Penang, and it was so tasty, like I'm getting hungry just typing about it now.

Also, they give you nice big portions, and the prices are really reasonable. I saw several people eating there, then ordering to go for later. To top that all off, the wait staff were great, fast and efficient. I have two kids, and one is a toddler, so eating out can be tough sometimes, but we had a perfect eating experience as a family.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I have yet to have a comparable bowl of ramen here in Atlanta to what I could get in Japan. It's not even mediocre in my opinion. Every restaurant tries to stuff too much on there menu, ends up not doing anything exceptional.

I've got hope, but the current selection is pretty lame from what I've had. Has anyone had good ramen here??

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I have yet to have a comparable bowl of ramen here in Atlanta to what I could get in Japan. It's not even mediocre in my opinion. Every restaurant tries to stuff too much on there menu, ends up not doing anything exceptional.

I've got hope, but the current selection is pretty lame from what I've had. Has anyone had good ramen here??

My girlfriend lived in Japan for a while and places we go in Los Angeles get close, but still not quite Japan quality. I'd say that none of the places I've had here in ATL are at the same level of LA ramen I've had so your answer is probably no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AgentHaiTo posted:

Have you guys been to Mamak on Buford?

I've been to Mamak now 4 times. I discovered it after coming back from Singapore for my honeymoon.

I gotta say, being fresh in my mind, Singapore level food just utterly destroys Mamak. I have ordered all the favorites - haianese chicken rice, fishball noodle soup, coconut laksa, char kway teow, fishhead soup, roti, sambal udang - they've all been more or less fine at Mamak - but just leave me wanting for the real deal

that said, if you've never had singaporean/malaysian food, I'd say it's very solid and worth seeking out.

wish they had an alcohol license....