Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah the problem wasn't that they tried to do a character drama but that they picked the worst and most bland ones to follow around. I personally liked all the cutaways from Godzilla and holding out on him until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
they probably could have cut like 60% of godzilla swimming and 80% of teasing godzilla and actually shown godzilla

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At least Bryan Cranston should've survived the rest of the goddamn movie

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
CineD also likes Godzilla.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It is a neat film imo but it has plenty of problems (mainly the Cranston thing) and I can totally see why loads of people hate it or don't rate it much.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gaunab posted:

CineD also likes Godzilla.

CineD hates everything except Surviving Edged Weapons, Magic Lizard, and Blacula. Rightfully so.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
Just having finished watching The Disappearance/Disparue (a mystery about the murder of a young girl) I was hoping it wouldn't be like Broadchurch where the killer was the one person who wasn't accused of the murder, so by the time it gets to the last episode you only have to remember who hasn't been accused and that's who did it. Of course you can say it's the journey not the destination but the endless red herrings trying to get you to think it was this person or that means that the story was supposed to be about the murder mystery and not the way the story was told. I wish there was a way in advance to know if it was going to be one of those mysteries.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm really getting tired of shows where someone murders someone 1) very suddenly without really thinking and/or 2) using some sort of decorative object in the room.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm really getting tired of shows where someone murders someone 1) very suddenly without really thinking and/or 2) using some sort of decorative object in the room.

But murders happen like they do in the game Clue, don't they? Henchman of Santa in the conservatory with a lead pipe!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"Reboots"/sequels of older movies that, instead of trying to expand on the original theme, just try and reproduce nearly the same exact movie with different people. I'm especially thinking of Kindergarten Cop 2 with Dolph Lundgren and the entirely unnecessary remake of cabin fever that came out this year. Why did these movies need to be made? There's nothing new whatsoever about them, and in the case of Cabin Fever it's seriously almost a shot for shot remake, the plot is almost exactly the same.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Murphy Brownback posted:

"Reboots"/sequels of older movies that, instead of trying to expand on the original theme, just try and reproduce nearly the same exact movie with different people. I'm especially thinking of Kindergarten Cop 2 with Dolph Lundgren and the entirely unnecessary remake of cabin fever that came out this year. Why did these movies need to be made? There's nothing new whatsoever about them, and in the case of Cabin Fever it's seriously almost a shot for shot remake, the plot is almost exactly the same.

Did it have pancakes kid?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Did it have pancakes kid?

I forget if he said pancakes this time but it did still have weird shop kid that bites strangers character. They took out the sick flips the pancakes kid did though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

People poo poo on the 2014 robocop, and it's not perfect, but it did at least bother to actually update the themes of the story instead of retreading the same ground.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

People poo poo on the 2014 robocop, and it's not perfect, but it did at least bother to actually update the themes of the story instead of retreading the same ground.

Yeah, I thought it did a good job of trying to expand on the original and mix it up. Original Robocop was a robot remembering how to be human, new Robocop was a human learning how to live as a robot.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

New Robocop at least gave us Our Robocop Remake (dot com) and I'll forever be thankful for that image of new robocop being a garbage eating raccoon that everyone shoos away. And the fatalframe scene with all the squib work.

I don't like remakes in general but why were they so proud that the psycho remake from maybe '98 was literally a shot for shot remake you could overlay with the original. What was the point?

Ironically, I am not going to like Ghostbusters as much because it isn't literally a genderswapped reshoot of exactly ghostbusters from the 80s. They've got two egons, a ray and a winston but no peter. And no peters between the bunch of them haha I get it now. I'm back on board.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My problem with the new Ghostbusters (at least from the trailers) is that all the humor is lovely and unfunny 🙁

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I guess my week ends the same day it starts cos there's not gonna be a fresher take than that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

New Robocop at least gave us Our Robocop Remake (dot com) and I'll forever be thankful for that image of new robocop being a garbage eating raccoon that everyone shoos away. And the fatalframe scene with all the squib work.

I don't like remakes in general but why were they so proud that the psycho remake from maybe '98 was literally a shot for shot remake you could overlay with the original. What was the point?

Ironically, I am not going to like Ghostbusters as much because it isn't literally a genderswapped reshoot of exactly ghostbusters from the 80s. They've got two egons, a ray and a winston but no peter. And no peters between the bunch of them haha I get it now. I'm back on board.

Egon was funny as gently caress, Two Egons should be great in theory*, are you sure they really have any Egons at all? Because the promotional material makes it look like there are no actual jokes at all.

*actually they did this in the comic book and it was great so fuckin proven

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It annoys me in movie commentaries - in almost every commentary - the following series of lines is said, paraphrased:

- Someone says a spoiler about the movie
- Someone (maybe him, maybe the other person in the commentary) will talk about talking about spoilers
- The question of watching a commentary before watching the movie proper

Do people think this is a clever thing to say? Nobody is gonna watch the goddamned commentary without having watched the movie beforehand.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Krinkle posted:

:cawg: I'm stealing this. This is now my go-to joke for the rest of the month before that comes out.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's called "playing it safe" because production companies are pussies about steering away from specific formulas. It's exactly why Star Wars TFR was almost literally a shot-for-shot retelling of the first 3 SW movies, just with characters that had different names. Same reason that some movie adaptations from books, games or other media end up being lovely, because the producers butcher the plot and take out important info to the point that it's almost an entirely different story.

There's a reason a lot of really good movies in the last decade have been indie hits that didn't have massive budgets and weren't part of big studios - independent filmmakers are willing to take a chance and not be total pussies looking for a quick cash grab by making a 27th sequel to a lovely movie that shouldn't have had a sequel, let alone multiple.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BOOTY-ADE posted:

There's a reason a lot of really good movies in the last decade have been indie hits that didn't have massive budgets and weren't part of big studios - independent filmmakers are willing to take a chance and not be total pussies looking for a quick cash grab by making a 27th sequel to a lovely movie that shouldn't have had a sequel, let alone multiple.

MacGruber being the exception to this rule though.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Top Dollar could've easily avoided his death in The Crow:
Eric Draven kills a bunch of people related to his, and his fiancée's, death. He just wanted vengeance against those people involved, not Top Dollar himself. He was returning to his grave, but then TD goes and kidnaps Sarah, leading Eric to save her and kill him in the process. TD was powerful enough to just leave it at "oh poo poo most of my men were killed" and rebuild his empire without interference from a nearly invincible zombie man.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

The Endbringer posted:

Eric Draven kills a bunch of people related to his, and his fiancée's, death. He just wanted vengeance against those people involved, not Top Dollar himself. He was returning to his grave, but then TD goes and kidnaps Sarah, leading Eric to save her and kill him in the process. TD was powerful enough to just leave it at "oh poo poo most of my men were killed" and rebuild his empire without interference from a nearly invincible zombie man.

But Draven had hurt Top Dollar's pride, so he couldn't just let it slide.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

But Draven had hurt Top Dollar's pride, so he couldn't just let it slide.

Oh sure I get that revenge was the whole theme of the movie, I'm just saying that if had he let it slide, the last third of the movie wouldn't have taken place.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Endbringer posted:

It took me a few seconds to figure out who you were talking about and then I realised I never knew the name of "bad guy from The Crow who fucks his maybe-sister and collects swords".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

It took me a few seconds to figure out who you were talking about and then I realised I never knew the name of "bad guy from The Crow who fucks his maybe-sister and collects swords".

Being a goth kid in the 90s, that guys monologue about death was the best thing. That and finding out that NIN had an original song in the soundtrack. And that only two other guys dressed up as D. Raven with the face paint at the high school Halloween party to share your shame.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

syscall girl posted:

Being a goth kid in the 90s, that guys monologue about death was the best thing. That and finding out that NIN had an original songdid a Joy Division cover in the soundtrack.
I loved The Crow because I have a soft spot for movies set in my birth town of Detroit. See also: True Romance, Darkman, and Grosse Point Blank.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Android Bicyclist posted:

I loved The Crow because I have a soft spot for movies set in my birth town of Detroit. See also: True Romance, Darkman, and Grosse Point Blank.

Nice call on the song origin, whoops.

My birth town was featured in the longest running sitcom in history, making fun of fat white dumb people. Natch

Rewatched Grosse Pointe Blank a week ago and it was still fun. Minnie Driver and Cusack and just a really great cast.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

Being a goth kid in the 90s, that guys monologue about death was the best thing. That and finding out that NIN had an original song in the soundtrack. And that only two other guys dressed up as D. Raven with the face paint at the high school Halloween party to share your shame.

I mainlined that soundtrack, The Downward Spiral, Pretty Hate Machine and Psalm: 69 (ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ) for basically the entire mid-90s.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

I mainlined that soundtrack, The Downward Spiral, Pretty Hate Machine and Psalm: 69 (ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ) for basically the entire mid-90s.

I traded a stack of CDs to my brother for that soundtrack.

Pearl Jam, Oasis, Live, all the best poo poo you could steal from BMG and Columbia for that one glorious halo.

It was worth it in retrospect because giving your bro the old Oasis is just never not funny.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

syscall girl posted:

giving your bro the old Oasis is just never not funny.

Dominic you rat!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Endbringer posted:

Actually he couldn't. Top Dollar was also on Eric's vengeance list because he's the one who ordered the building cleared and sent T-Bird's posse to drive them out when they refused to leave. Eric just didn't know it because Top wasn't there and none of T-Bird's gang ever mentioned him.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

syscall girl posted:

Rewatched Grosse Pointe Blank a week ago and it was still fun. Minnie Driver and Cusack and just a really great cast.

My friend and I always crack up at Benny Urquidez at the reunion: "It is I, Sidney Feldman."
"Oooh, you've changed. Save a dance for me!"

The Endbringer posted:

But Top Dollar doesn't know that Eric is about to leave. He doesn't know exactly how Eric works, only that the bird is his link to the land of the living. He's just trying to get the upper hand on a dude he just saw get shot up by sixteen guys and then systematically kill all of them. So, grab Sarah, shoot the bird, kill Eric, stay in power.

Goddamn, I went through 2 or 3 CDs of the Crow soundtrack, and it's still on my yearly Halloween watchlist.

10 Beers has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Jun 21, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a lot of stupid things about the first Highlander movie but something that kind of bugs me is how at the beginning Conner is at some wrestling match. Like, what was he doing there in the first place?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

There's a lot of stupid things about the first Highlander movie but something that kind of bugs me is how at the beginning Conner is at some wrestling match. Like, what was he doing there in the first place?

When you put it that way it sounds silly.

And boy does it look silly. Silly cops, silly foe with no silly backstory.

It was the quickening that brought them together though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

He was a big fan of the free birds hahahaha

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everything about the opening is ridiculous, Conner at some wrestling thing going there all dressed up in his fancy European sports car and the guy who fights by constantly flipping around for no reason, like seriously watch the beginning of the movie again and try to figure out why the guy is flipping his way around the garage. Then there's the scene where Conner is arrested and the cop is cocking his gun and holding it up to Conner's head when all they know is that there was some kind of disturbance and Conner was driving away.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just got nostalgic and watched Ernest Goes to Jail and I am very surprised at the surreal sets and very dark tone of this movie. Like there are a total of four sets in the movie and every one is a dadaist fever dream. The bank where Earnest works is a high-ceiling doctor's office, the jail is a neon-lit dungeon full of guards wearing hot pink nazi uniforms, and every scene is shot at a crazy dutch angle. The whole thing seems like it is meant to convey a sense of disorientation and dread.

Also there is a rape scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Danger Mahoney posted:

Just got nostalgic and watched Ernest Goes to Jail and I am very surprised at the surreal sets and very dark tone of this movie. Like there are a total of four sets in the movie and every one is a dadaist fever dream. The bank where Earnest works is a high-ceiling doctor's office, the jail is a neon-lit dungeon full of guards wearing hot pink nazi uniforms, and every scene is shot at a crazy dutch angle. The whole thing seems like it is meant to convey a sense of disorientation and dread.

Also there is a rape scene.

Then I guess it's time to revisit my childhood. How would you bookend Xmas Ernest with this movie? Before? After?