Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mans posted:

I was basically on an unstopable rampage as the Orcs against the Humies, clearing way with relative ease for a while now.

I'm not really sure what happened but the AI decided to change their tactics.

And now they're obliterating my armies

:stare:´

They basically built armies custom made to stomp my gits all over the place. i'm kind of horrified and happy at the same time.

Would you actually lose if you played those out? Especially the second one, they have literally zero line troops. You could just rush those mortars and wreck them, right? I've had autoresolve give me a bar like that for some fights that I've won without too much difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Are you running any mods for AI army composition? I never see any interesting army setups from my AI.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I've had grimgor a couple of times just have 12+ rock lobbers. It kinda shows how stupid the auto resolve system is because those battles are all fairly easy to win if you just charge.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Chaos needs a huge buff to their replenishment. At this time they're far less of a threat than the tribes.

Hordes need a general massive change in the way they work. As is, it's just harder and more limiting then playing settled. Hordes are strategically nonviable. The AI is only kept afloat by free stacks and the player by broken tactical aspects they can exploit.

I'd give them full time replenishment without encampment as the very beginning of a rebalance.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SickZip posted:

Hordes need a general massive change in the way they work. As is, it's just harder and more limiting then playing settled. Hordes are strategically nonviable. The AI is only kept afloat by free stacks and the player by broken tactical aspects they can exploit.

I'd give them full time replenishment without encampment as the very beginning of a rebalance.

Those sure are a lot of pronouncements.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

First reply good second reply bad

(Chaos starts out fun but it's a stupid grind for the back third.)

That's the heart of it, really. Chaos was enjoyable for a while - Norsca wasn't even that bad and razing Kislev & neighbors was fun. It started out as a sort of puzzle to get the most ideal start possible to combat the enormous odds against you, but then you step out of your little bubble and the world's a hellhole of siege battles. By the time I wasn't having fun anymore, eliminating the Empire was my only remaining long victory condition so I completed it.

Of course it was optional and I could have quit at any time, but I want to see all the game has to offer and Chaos wasn't a highlight. :shrug: Maybe when it gets some decent mods.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Regarding Chaos, is anyone trying to spread as much corruption as possible before heading south? Considering most LLs are either sorcerers themselves or MotherFuckin' Kholek your agents aren't as huge force multipliers as they are for other factions. I haven't given a dedicated Chaos run through yet but getting a few wizards to wreck up the shrines to Sigmar doesn't seem like a waste of time.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

Of course it was optional and I could have quit at any time, but I want to see all the game has to offer and Chaos wasn't a highlight. :shrug: Maybe when it gets some decent mods.

There are some already, the better replenishment mod makes playing Chaos not a slog, though in my own personal taste its too good, giving chaos hordes 30% replenishment when in encampment mode (apparently this makes them a beast when the AI plays them). Theres also a mod that removes the attrition from when you gather two or more chaos armies together but i don't use that one when i play Chaos since i do like that bit of flavour to the faction (the computer ignores this, of course).

With better replenishment in place it fell down to chaos not having good tools for skirmishers that made them feel not as fun as the other teams for me, personally.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 19, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wafflecopper posted:

Would you actually lose if you played those out? Especially the second one, they have literally zero line troops. You could just rush those mortars and wreck them, right? I've had autoresolve give me a bar like that for some fights that I've won without too much difficulty.

first battle was a defeat but yeah i won the second won just barely, mostly because that was a colonizing army full of boyz and goblins instead of decent troops. the lord, hero, black orcs and spiders were the only thing that did anything other than soak up damage but who the hell cares if you lose a thousand goblins.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just ran the start of my Hard mode Chaos campaign again. Not attacking Baersonling's Camp seems like a very viable strategy. If you instead go through Kislev, attacking Volksgrad, Praag, then NW towards Fort Ostrosk, you can easily make friends with the Varg. All of those fights are pretty easy also. Sigvald seems like the best start - the hellcannon speeds up the whole process, and the +leadership vs humans is great.

It's also worth looking through the Diplomacy scroll and noting which Empire minors have Imperial Distrust. Don't attack those - they won't join in war against you and won't confederate with the Empire. Instead they'll resettle all the imperial towns and stop Karl Franz from rebuilding. Similarly, it's probably a good idea to take out 'Underdog' factions early.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 19, 2016

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wafflecopper posted:

:cry: The AI uses cavalry effectively! :cry:

Haha are you straight making poo poo up here, or can you not read?

It just does the same thing regardless of the units it has, whether they can actually pull the move off. It's meant to look flashy and makes for people being impressed at how the AI flanks and uses its cav. My complaint is that it's not effective enough, it just looks cool for people who haven't seen it 20 times in a row.

Given that the AI has one specific way that it flanks, I found I was better off using Cav to pre emptively charge the cav that sits on the flanks waiting to charge. If you get all excited watching that one ai cav flanking routine, man CA has you covered with warhammer.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chomp8645 posted:

For those curious these are the rules CA is using for their tournament.

If these rules are indicative of what they have in mind for balance changes then I think we're on a good track.

I like that this rule means that if the final round is balanced then both players will have to use all five factions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ZearothK posted:

I like that this rule means that if the final round is balanced then both players will have to use all five factions.

Yeah, this actually adds a bit of fun to the game if the factions are imbalanced.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Wallet posted:

I don't know if the same people decided on the rules as decide on that sort of thing, but if so, this does seem to be an indication that CA has a much better understanding of the game's balance than most people give them credit for.

They have an entire board for balance on their official forums and they read all of it. The issue isn't that CA doesn't have an understanding of balance so much as the games are kind of complicated so balancing one thing has side-effects elsewhere that creates new imbalances. Luckily, they tend to give preference to patching in the balance forum posts that actually did a lot of tests with mods before posting what they think the balance should be.

That would be called a unit test. Convergence testing on the other hand is where they tend to be lacking since a bunch of things that test out well on their own create really weird new balances when all put together. Sometimes they have beta patches but those are less for balance changes--I've never seen them change anything there--and more for crash fixes and making sure they didn't cause any new ones.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

With Rome 2 etc there were a variety of community setting for tournaments that became popular. No more than 6 of one unit, no more than two chariots I believe, and some other stuff.

This is an ESL tournament, not a CA tournament, right? How did people decide CA's balancing group made those restrictions? I believe CA had nothing to do with it at all.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

What's interesting about MP to this point is that they haven't introduced unit limits per army... Yet. Shogun 2's limit of loansword ashigaru or matchlocks come to mind, and even Rome 2, but Rome 2's unit limits didn't do jack for balance whereas the Shogun 2 limits did.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, im making a mod here and i wanted to ask y'all what you think.

Its a simple little boost to the "Ward" talent you can get for every race, you know the 10% missile resistance one?

Yeah, it just felt a bit boring and so i tried to make it more interesting by adding a secondary effect (the missile resistance is still in!).

Ive been trying to go with what the actual text for each ward says and add in something that would make sense:

Dodgy Geezer: +10% Speed
Aura of Chaos: +15 Armour
Sigmars Ward: +10% HP
Rune of Grimnir: Small reduction in Vigour Loss (slightly stronger than the first point of Obstinancy)
Grave Ward: +5%Physical Protection

Both Sigmars Ward and Aura of Chaos may be too high, but im not sure, again what do you think?

I'd also like to thank Mazz for helping me in my modding efforts!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 19, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rakthar posted:

With Rome 2 etc there were a variety of community setting for tournaments that became popular. No more than 6 of one unit, no more than two chariots I believe, and some other stuff.

This is an ESL tournament, not a CA tournament, right? How did people decide CA's balancing group made those restrictions? I believe CA had nothing to do with it at all.

They're all community rules, CA has nothing to do with the tournament or how it's run other than letting them stream it on their twitch channel.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gejnor posted:

Hey guys, im making a mod here and i wanted to ask y'all what you think.

Its a simple little boost to the "Ward" talent you can get for every race, you know the 10% missile resistance one?

Yeah, it just felt a bit boring and so i tried to make it more interesting by adding a secondary effect (the missile resistance is still in!).

Ive been trying to go with what the actual text for each ward says and add in something that would make sense:

Rune of Grimnir: Small reduction in Vigour Loss (slightly stronger than the first point of Obstinancy)

Both Sigmars Ward and Aura of Chaos may be too high, but im not sure, again what do you think?

Haven't played this game, but for any other Total War game I played, I'd say that it's actually the unit speed boost that's the most broken, since it would let your unit reliably chase down and completely kill equivalent enemy squads after routing them. This is in addition to the implicit ranged damage reduction from just reaching the enemy front lines faster.

e: vvv ah

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 19, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Haven't played this game, but for any other Total War game I played, I'd say that it's actually the unit speed boost that's the most broken, since it would let your unit reliably chase down and completely kill equivalent enemy squads after routing them. This is in addition to the implicit ranged damage reduction from just reaching the enemy front lines faster.

Well, this is only for the lord in question, so you won't see an army wide boost in speed, this'd give grimgor a very small but noticable bump, though i am wondering what it would do to a mounted orc lord or a flying one.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Playing dwarves, I got one of those events which make you choose from two results. The problem was apparently a particularly nasty grudge, which would be hard to fulfill - And the question was whether we should look the other way just this once and forget about that grudge, so that we could focus on the bigger objectives.

The two answers were "Honor the grudge" and "Avenge the slight" or something along those lines - With both options giving identical stat results, and both options deriding the un-dwarven idiot who suggested forgiving a grudge.

Dwarves are cool :black101:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Underway interceptions are so great for stuffing up enemy cavalry. The same old 'send units to your flanks and try to attack when the line troops attack' doesn't work when you're wedged in one corner of a rather narrow map. I'd have enemy units of knights and stuff just run right up to the front of my army, under a hail of arrow/artillery fire and just :downs: until the rest of the army came.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gejnor posted:

Well, this is only for the lord in question, so you won't see an army wide boost in speed, this'd give grimgor a very small but noticable bump, though i am wondering what it would do to a mounted orc lord or a flying one.

Based on my experience it makes sense to have a buff for the +10% missile resistance skill that most lords have. Cool idea for faction flavor, I sure don't select it when it's just +10% missile resist.

I am messing around with the Legendary Lords get Mounts mod in my modded campaign and finding it to be a cool improvement. Even with that I don't think the +10% speed is such a gamebreaker, there's a banner that gives a unit +15% speed.

If you really want you can install that mod and try Grimgor on a wyvern with the speed buff. If that doesn't make him completely broke then it will probably be fine in the campaign.

By the way Mazz that Level 4 all factions mod is GREAT. I included it as part of my mod package and it's really well done, and polished. It helps the VCs greatly as well, and makes the slot micro way less tedious. Thanks man.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Rakthar posted:

Haha are you straight making poo poo up here, or can you not read?

It just does the same thing regardless of the units it has, whether they can actually pull the move off. It's meant to look flashy and makes for people being impressed at how the AI flanks and uses its cav. My complaint is that it's not effective enough, it just looks cool for people who haven't seen it 20 times in a row.

Given that the AI has one specific way that it flanks, I found I was better off using Cav to pre emptively charge the cav that sits on the flanks waiting to charge. If you get all excited watching that one ai cav flanking routine, man CA has you covered with warhammer.

And you accuse me of making poo poo up

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wafflecopper posted:

And you accuse me of making poo poo up

I see, thanks for your great one liners. So there's nothing you disagree with, you just think that I'm bitching about cav when I'm not.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fangz posted:

Yeah replenishing lords and heroes is hard as Chaos, but I was pretty much crushing battles with my 16 units of Chosen anyway. It wasn't that big an issue. I rolled with the sorcerer lords generally, so their low hp didn't matter, though it did mean Sigvald took more of a back seat after Kislev. (Hilariously my late game was entirely Sigvald off on his own trying to complete his insanely hard quests, while my two sorcerers actually went off to win the game... Rather fitting I guess.)

One thing that might help people that I found out late is that you can ally with the vampire counts or the orcs, and they will give you speedy replenishment on their soil. (Even with vampiric attrition. Encamp to avoid that.) The vampires will resettle or occupy imperial towns, which saves you the worry of Empire re-emerging. Empire minors that are hostile to Karl Franz will also do that but they will never ally with you.

Otherwise, yeah, get out of Norsca the moment you stop having fun there. Don't try to build the unified crazy viking superstate. Chaos doesn't have to be a slog if you just focus on your objectives.

Edit: A thought on replenishing lords: if you replace the Lord on an army, does this mean they return to the roster and get healed up? That might be worth trying.

The only thing about letting VCs get big as Chaos is that it makes moving through their turf really suck. I suppose the better strategy is to march through and encamp at the end while still on friendly land to reverse the attrition, because encamp-move is really tedious and you're still paying upkeep.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Rakthar posted:

I see, thanks for your great one liners. So there's nothing you disagree with, you just think that I'm bitching about cav when I'm not.

Funny how at least two other posters read it the same way huh

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

The only thing about letting VCs get big as Chaos is that it makes moving through their turf really suck. I suppose the better strategy is to march through and encamp at the end while still on friendly land to reverse the attrition, because encamp-move is really tedious and you're still paying upkeep.

Yeah, that works. You regain about 4 turns of attrition in one turn encamped. Just eat the attrition, unless you expect a fight immediately.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Gejnor posted:

They seem fine, though you could probably increase Rune of Grimnir, Grave ward, and Dodgy Geezer.

Rakthar posted:

Based on my experience it makes sense to have a buff for the +10% missile resistance skill that most lords have. Cool idea for faction flavor, I sure don't select it when it's just +10% missile resist.

I am messing around with the Legendary Lords get Mounts mod in my modded campaign and finding it to be a cool improvement. Even with that I don't think the +10% speed is such a gamebreaker, there's a banner that gives a unit +15% speed.

If you really want you can install that mod and try Grimgor on a wyvern with the speed buff. If that doesn't make him completely broke then it will probably be fine in the campaign.

By the way Mazz that Level 4 all factions mod is GREAT. I included it as part of my mod package and it's really well done, and polished. It helps the VCs greatly as well, and makes the slot micro way less tedious. Thanks man.
In Molay's Spells & Artifacts Dodgy Geezer gives a 20-25% speed boost, which does make a difference but doesn't seem broken. I haven't tried it with the mount mod though, so that might make it broken.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kinda what I would suggest is to make for interesting skills is to add some trade-off skills. Like, big increase in weapon damage in return for a big decrease in defensive ability, or vice versa.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mornhaven posted:

They seem fine, though you could probably increase Rune of Grimnir, Grave ward, and Dodgy Geezer.

In Molay's Spells & Artifacts Dodgy Geezer gives a 20-25% speed boost, which does make a difference but doesn't seem broken. I haven't tried it with the mount mod though, so that might make it broken.

Molay's is really great for spells, but it makes the artifacts brokenly overpowered.

Gitsnick gets a 50% AP ability, Sword of Unholy Power gets +10 Vampiric Corruption in near by provinces. I really wish there was just a spell version. Melee Lords didn't need any buffs.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

There are some already, the better replenishment mod makes playing Chaos not a slog, though in my own personal taste its too good, giving chaos hordes 30% replenishment when in encampment mode (apparently this makes them a beast when the AI plays them). Theres also a mod that removes the attrition from when you gather two or more chaos armies together but i don't use that one when i play Chaos since i do like that bit of flavour to the faction (the computer ignores this, of course).

With better replenishment in place it fell down to chaos not having good tools for skirmishers that made them feel not as fun as the other teams for me, personally.

Just out of curiosity have you tried the Chaos Dwarfs yet? I'm not even sure if the mod's complete yet, I just saw that it gave Chaos a decent ranged option.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

mornhaven posted:

Molay's goes kinda overboard in his buffs, his Grave Ward is something like 15% Ward against all AND a 20% missile protection, and that puts you on the path to full immunity towards missiles at the very least.

Im keeping my stuff a bit lower, 5% physical resistance doesn't sound much but when you add in ward saves and physical protection you can get from gear it starts to add up, not to mention the self healing that VC's have.

I actually started at a 15% speed buff like the banner for Dodgy Geezer but i dialed it back to 10% when i figured 15% speed is probably better than 15 armour etc etc

Rune of Grimnir is a bit different though, since im not sure you'll notice the difference or not when using it. It is slightly stronger than the first rank of obstinacy which gives a -3 to vigour using actions, this one is -5 (had to look that up, first rank of obstinacy is -3, 2nd -8 and third -15) but it will also stack with it if you pick that talent so i didn't want to push it too far either.

Deified Data posted:

Just out of curiosity have you tried the Chaos Dwarfs yet? I'm not even sure if the mod's complete yet, I just saw that it gave Chaos a decent ranged option.

I have not, but i may very well try it depending on the stats of those dwarfs.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 19, 2016

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rakthar posted:

Why do you even play the game if all you do is bitch about it?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gejnor posted:

Has poking around with this given you any clue as to how it works, exactly? I pick up Obstinancy on all of my Dwarf lords but I have no idea how effective it is.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

Has poking around with this given you any clue as to how it works, exactly? I pick up Obstinancy on all of my Dwarf lords but I have no idea how effective it is.

As far as i've gathered, every action in the game (even walking/running) costs some amount of vigour, what Obstinacy does is reduce the cost of said actions by the amount i mentioned, so say fighting in melee costs 50 vigour per second (im not fully clear how they calculate it to be fair, if its per swing etc or what have you, but per action it seems to be) the fully specced talent will reduce that to 35 instead, you will get to exhausted eventually, but it will take longer!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why do you even play the game if all you do is bitch about it?

I put up the stuff I observe, good and bad. The tactical battles are really freaking cool. So is the unit diversity. The campaign looks more impressive than it is, with frayed poo poo around agents, building slots, and turn times.

Some of the fixes are really easy and straightforward. I just tried a modded campaign with no hostile AI agent actions, +10% home movement speed, legendary lord mounts, permanent retinues, better camera, level 4 minor settlements ,stronger and later chaos invasion, and conquer anywhere. It's a real nice change of pace and fixes a lot of the issues people have posted in this thread.

I take this thread as a place for people to compare notes about what works and what doesn't, what's cool and what's not. Sometimes the discussions are worthwhile, sometimes not. Who gives a poo poo?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the campaign map is pretty dope. Sure, at a point you have infinite resources because you're too big to fail and can muster a top-tier army in 2 turns, no questions asked.

Also: Achievements. What is a "militia" unit for the "the Meek shall inherit the earth" achievement? I have a full stack of swords/men/halberdiers/crossbowmen that Franz has been leading since turn 1.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So as VC what do you guys do after taking out Templehof and Schwartzwafen? I feel like I'm in a delicate diplomatic situation and I want to piss off as few people as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Deified Data posted:

So as VC what do you guys do after taking out Templehof and Schwartzwafen? I feel like I'm in a delicate diplomatic situation and I want to piss off as few people as possible.

Put Stirland out of their misery. :getin:

• Locked thread