Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hungry Computer posted:

CIO is just playing it safe.

There's no evidence yet that it got out of the VMware server, but it's self replicating and surprise surprise Sophos doesn't detect it.

That's because anti-virus is bad and does more harm than good. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ratbert90 posted:

AV causes autism.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GreenNight posted:

AV causes autism.

The anti vaxxers were just thinking about the wrong anti-virus this entire time!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
First week working for a VAR is in the books. When they say the job isn't for everyone they mean it. Barely have time to take a poo poo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
a degree is only proof that you were able to get enough money to attend school for a few years. everything else is up for interpretation and is why you have interviews and why most businesses keep hiring idiots

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Sepist posted:

First week working for a VAR is in the books. When they say the job isn't for everyone they mean it. Barely have time to take a poo poo

Are you doing presales or post sales? Once you get used to it the work can be pretty rewarding.

quote:

a degree is only proof that you were able to get enough money to attend school for a few years. everything else is up for interpretation and is why you have interviews and why most businesses keep hiring idiots

It's also quickly becoming the equivalent of a high school diploma with respect to being the minimum requirement to not flip burgers. Also, any education you get is what you make of it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

1000101 posted:

Are you doing presales or post sales? Once you get used to it the work can be pretty rewarding.

Ultimately it will be pre-sales, but the company had let go of their CTO who took their top 2 network resources with him (friends he brought in) so I'm doing pre-sales and engineering for now until we hire someone to take over the engineering side.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yep. As I'm sitting here an hour past when I was trying to end this change window because a customer straight up didn't tell me about an extra switch they have, I'm keeping in mind that my company is basically paying me to travel around the world to various vacation spots for weeks at a time over the next few months.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

go3 posted:

College owns, getting jobs out of college because of degrees owns, :dealwithit:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

psydude posted:

Yep. As I'm sitting here an hour past when I was trying to end this change window because a customer straight up didn't tell me about an extra switch they have, I'm keeping in mind that my company is basically paying me to travel around the world to various vacation spots for weeks at a time over the next few months.

So did you manage to actually get a picture of an exec worrying a farm animal, or did you just photoshop one together while they were black-out drunk to swing that?

Lucky bastard :argh:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Sounds suspiciously like my job. Travel to awesome place, do job, have awesome food and drinks on the beach while company pays for it.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I just got an IT job for a company that uses Lotus Notes/Domino and it's been ages since I've done Domino housekeeping admin work plus no one here has manager access to anything we get to use. Do we have an ask sysadmin thread or should I just ask here? (Mail rules apparently don't work, where's the setting for that? Also for some reason every received mail gets a timestamp of when you actually yank it off the pop server instead of when it was sent. If I knew what specific settings I'm looking for there's a slight chance I could get the out of country admin to do some changes for us).

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

ratbert90 posted:

I would say that more than half of the candidates I interview fail FizzBuzz by the way.

Is this that test where you print a list of numbers and if its divisible by 3 you print fizz, 5 buzz, and both fizzbuzz? I have incredibly minimal coding experience, but wouldn't you just do an if check for if its divisible by 3 and 5 > Fizzbuzz, else 3 > Fizz, else 5 > Buzz, else neither > Number?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Lilli posted:

Is this that test where you print a list of numbers and if its divisible by 3 you print fizz, 5 buzz, and both fizzbuzz? I have incredibly minimal coding experience, but wouldn't you just do an if check for if its divisible by 3 and 5 > Fizzbuzz, else 3 > Fizz, else 5 > Buzz, else neither > Number?

There are many approaches to this, some are more extensible, some more efficient, some very simple, etc.

What really matters in the interview context is demonstrating that you have a basic ability to translate requirements to code and (depending on the interview style) the ability to explain your thought process and approach in a halfway intelligent manner.

If you google around this question gets an unnecessary amount of debate. It's pretty ridiculous. It's also sad that anyone with more than a month of basic programming under their belt cant at least get a passing grade, but it definitely happens.

please dont go there thread

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Ledenko posted:

I just got an IT job for a company that uses Lotus Notes/Domino and it's been ages since I've done Domino housekeeping admin work plus no one here has manager access to anything we get to use. Do we have an ask sysadmin thread or should I just ask here? (Mail rules apparently don't work, where's the setting for that? Also for some reason every received mail gets a timestamp of when you actually yank it off the pop server instead of when it was sent. If I knew what specific settings I'm looking for there's a slight chance I could get the out of country admin to do some changes for us).

Have you thought about flipping burgers instead?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

flosofl posted:

Agreed.

In fact I still don't have one with over 20 years in. Did it slow my progression? Maybe, but probably not. I'm in a senior position and making a competitive wage for my industry, let alone my age group. I'm happy and in a very good place career-wise.

Of course at the time I would have gotten a BS, I would have been limited to either a programming heavy curriculum or one that involved technology already years out of date. Neither of which made much sense, which is why I dropped out of college and just dove in.

Hello fellow non compsci degree haver with 20 years in the industry - its not the mid 90s any more. Just because it wasnt too hard for us in the dotcom boom does not mean its equally easy for todays kids given how everyone and their dog has been pushed to get a degree since. Its like the boomers complaining how people dont have the gumption to work their own way through college and buy their first house at 25 any more.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ledenko posted:

Nice, what version of lotus notes?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

Nice, what version of lotus notes?

Version 9.0.1.

Jaeger, I'm not sure what your problem is, but I wasn't taken on to do admin work for Domino, I just happen to have more experience with LN because everyone else has zero and they asked me to look into it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ledenko posted:

Version 9.0.1.

Jaeger, I'm not sure what your problem is, but I wasn't taken on to do admin work for Domino, I just happen to have more experience with LN because everyone else has zero and they asked me to look into it.

His problem is that Lotus Notes is terrible and you might rather be flipping burgers than deal with it.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I like a good challenge, even if everything is stacked against us. No access to a domino/designer install, no one knows if anyone has any sort of access rights for changing anything and the actual admins don't give a poo poo about us. I think it's now been two weeks since I got my boss to ask for a database, the admin said he'll have it ready straight away and guess what. Oh, some users are using outlook and they're phasing that out, makes sense if the company is running Domino anyhow.
I just want to help out because right now we can't even make automatic folder sorting, but it's possible it's a local config setting according to an IBM article I just found.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

His problem is that Lotus Notes is terrible and you might rather be flipping burgers than deal with it.

And both are dead-end jobs, but at least burger-flipping has a future.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Lotus and Domino are still immensely popular in older companies and APAC.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And both are dead-end jobs, but at least burger-flipping has a future.

At least you won't get 24/7 on call from the burger place.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

In the last year I've used Notes, Groupwise, and Outlook :shepicide:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

alg posted:

I used verse, why IBM thinks that is some new breakthrough product I have no idea. It's poo poo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I actually miss cabling. It was a tough job, where I was at best "uncomfortable" 12 hours a day.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I use to do a lot of physical installs of satellite internet dishes, WISP antennas, Wireless AP deployments, etc where I would get to climb on buildings and install all of theses things and run the cable. I really miss it too. You got to work in a new place every couple of days and meet new people. Each building was its own unique puzzle that had to be solved.

You guys are nuts. For my 6th anniversary in this job the week I spent two back-to-back 12's at one of our remote sites, without working AC, pulling cable and doing other hateful IT poo poo in closets and up on ladders and it was completely dreadful. (For reference, I am the sysadmin.) It didn't help that the job should have taken 8 hours and instead went 24 (+, we didn't even completely finish, lol), and as my boss became more and more frustrated, he got crabby and began to blame every little thing on me. It was the kind of week that is making me question my career choices.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sirotan posted:

as my boss became more and more frustrated, he got crabby and began to blame every little thing on me. It was the kind of week that is making me question my career choices.
Did you offer him a Snickers?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

I used verse, why IBM thinks that is some new breakthrough product I have no idea. It's poo poo.
Because someone just finally showed IBM how to do AJAX or HTML5 programming and all their minds are blown with this bold new frontier of the World Wide Web.

alg posted:

I still think Groupwise is superior to Exchange. I don't know enough about the Notes backend to compare, but the client is far and away the worst of the three. Resource mailbox handling in Groupwise is still far superior, and when the hell is Exchange going to figure out single-instance storage?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also GroupWise let you pull back sent emails and holy poo poo the screaming that entailed when we told users that was no longer possible after our migration to Exchange.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

Also GroupWise let you pull back sent emails and holy poo poo the screaming that entailed when we told users that was no longer possible after our migration to Exchange.

I thought exchange does let you, but with some caveats(if anyone sees it or it leaves the org, it won't work)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

GreenNight posted:

Yep people are begging for this, and send email at a future time. The hard cut to Outlook is gonna be super rough.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

alg posted:

Yep people are begging for this, and send email at a future time. The hard cut to Outlook is gonna be super rough.

Outlook lets you delay delivery, and you can recall a message if it hasn't been opened yet.

GreenNight posted:

Don't mislead your users, and you'll get less screaming :)

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 19, 2016

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I believe you even have to click on the recall message you get, so if you're going though them chronologically you'll read the initial email before the recall one and it won't be recalled.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Aunt Beth posted:

Because someone just finally showed IBM how to do AJAX or HTML5 programming and all their minds are blown with this bold new frontier of the World Wide Web.
The System Storage stuff has had some top-tier web interface stuff happening for a long time

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aunt Beth posted:

I still think Groupwise is superior to Exchange. I don't know enough about the Notes backend to compare, but the client is far and away the worst of the three. Resource mailbox handling in Groupwise is still far superior, and when the hell is Exchange going to figure out single-instance storage?

IIRC Exchange ditched single-instance storage when they moved away from insisting on fast storage to allowing you to run on a bunch of SATA without issues. Their argument being that disk is cheaper than the CPU required to do all the dedupe calculations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Thanks Ants posted:

IIRC Exchange ditched single-instance storage when they moved away from insisting on fast storage to allowing you to run on a bunch of SATA without issues. Their argument being that disk is cheaper than the CPU required to do all the dedupe calculations.

Deduplication is also incredibly common on storage arrays these days so doing it less efficiently in Exchange didn't make much sense.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sirotan posted:

You guys are nuts. For my 6th anniversary in this job the week I spent two back-to-back 12's at one of our remote sites, without working AC, pulling cable and doing other hateful IT poo poo in closets and up on ladders and it was completely dreadful. (For reference, I am the sysadmin.) It didn't help that the job should have taken 8 hours and instead went 24 (+, we didn't even completely finish, lol), and as my boss became more and more frustrated, he got crabby and began to blame every little thing on me. It was the kind of week that is making me question my career choices.

Yeah I'm with you, the physical aspect of IT is easily my least favorite. Spending any amount of time in a data center loving sucks. It's noisy, the AC dries you out, and you never escape without at least one gash on your hand or smashed finger. I'm glad I've had to do it, and understand how, because it's important. I have a couple coworkers who, while excellent sysadmins in most areas, have had zero hardware exposure (one fresh out of college, the other in his mid 30's but shifting over from dev land to operations). Which can be a huge blind spot in troubleshooting and system design. Good luck getting the data center remote hands to do the right thing if you don't know what an SFP looks like or that there's more than one type of fiber.

So I'm glad I have that knowledge. And glad I can mostly use it to instruct someone else on what to do :v:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

The System Storage stuff has had some top-tier web interface stuff happening for a long time
That all came from XIV, which was an acquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The SAN guys at my shop are the windows team and for whatever reason they love Netapps. I miss my XIV :(