Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I believe in the Cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I believe in the Cloud

i also believer square will manage to ship FF7R but we are talking about noted bad developers of the crackdown series who somehow thought it was smart to show the exact same cloud destruction footage at e3 that they showed over 6 months ago

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Crackdown 3 is claiming to have one now but they also couldnt show any progress on a game that is entering its fourth year of dev soooo maybe not

The Giant Bomb guys said they tried to find out what is going on with this and got the runaround.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Super No Vacancy posted:

the only downside to the nemesis system is it makes dying more interesting than living and in mordor it was too hard to die after like the first two hours or something

Yeah it had one of the wonkiest difficulty curves of games I've played recently. Starting out felt pretty rough, but rapidly you become an unkillable god dancing through packs of a hundred orcs popping off a half dozen rares in a single fight.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Note that this video is before any of the advanced units are introduced. It's like saying the Arkham games are trivial when enemies don't have shock sticks and such. It's not a hard game, by any means, but this doesn't really show off how combat works.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Super No Vacancy posted:

the only downside to the nemesis system is it makes dying more interesting than living and in mordor it was too hard to die after like the first two hours or something

i didnt die the whole game so i was v confusued why people were so excited about assassins creed: but now orcs

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Unreal_One posted:

Note that this video is before any of the advanced units are introduced. It's like saying the Arkham games are trivial when enemies don't have shock sticks and such. It's not a hard game, by any means, but this doesn't really show off how combat works.

To be honest I didn't even know that. Maybe the combat gets better later, I stopped playing the game after about three hours. First goon hyped game that felt really bad to me. It aped worst parts from other games and had terribly dull starting environment. It basically coasted with the one innovation that was't even that well suited for the game as far as I could tell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

i didnt die the whole game so i was v confusued why people were so excited about assassins creed: but now orcs

some guys were letting orcs kill them until they were strong enough to matter idgi

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ehh, for me personally Shadow of Mordor is probably still my favorite game this generation. I had an absolute blast from start to finish.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I had an absolute blast with Shadow of Mordor for two hours i.e. one gaming session. I've never felt the need to play it ever again.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Akuma posted:

He had a job! Toad's got it bad enough as it is, lay off :/

Did he? Honestly don't remember. And I was nice to him in my game; my dad was just amused that he could be horrid to someone in a game and ran with it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Castor Poe posted:

Is Ray Man Legends legit good?

I have it on PC and was considering buying it again, since I think this one has some Coop the PC Version didn't? It's one of the best 2D platformers.

goferchan posted:

DK Tropical Freeze is a very close contender but yeah it's extremely good

I have an unusual hate for DK Tropical freeze I'll admit it but Rayman Legends is much much better

Edit: Turns out the PC version of Legends did have coop but it was a pretty common error that it didn't recognize the second player

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 19, 2016

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Stux posted:

i didnt die the whole game so i was v confusued why people were so excited about Arkham: but now kill things

FTFY.

And after watching all the poo poo that unfolds in the Arkham series because of rehabilitation it was pretty cathartic to be able to lop of some bastards limbs. TRY ENSLAVING PEOPLE NOW MR ORCY NO HEAD!

:black101:

Weavered fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 19, 2016

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quote-Unquote posted:

Did he? Honestly don't remember. And I was nice to him in my game; my dad was just amused that he could be horrid to someone in a game and ran with it.
He was the super of that building, which is why he called Bigby in the first place.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
The E3 sale and $15 Code for spending $100 are intriguing. Unsure if there's $100 of good deals on games I want though, already own a lot of them.

Middle-Earth GotY looks really solid. After that, anyone have thoughts on the merits of these games?

InFamous: Second Son - Dust: Elysian Tail was fantastic, would this fill my quota of "learn flashy moves and smack enemies around on a whim"?

Alien: Isolation - Two great movies I saw last century (lol the rest), is the game worth it if you're just a very casual fan of the series?

Darksiders Ii - I remember the first was described as Zelda with new ideas, looked neat but I never played it. Is this solid enough for a port from last gen?

Unravel - Visually striking, and I enjoyed Child of Light and Rayman a lot. Does this game come close to those two in substance and fun gameplay?

Dark Souls II - Only games from the series I've tried was Demon's Souls on the 360. If I get this on sale, would it be worthwhile to play Dark Souls I first? Realistic to foresee a DS1 PS4 re-release in the future?

That totals $80, what might I have overlooked? JC3 looks too buggy on consoles, Destiny seems ok but still a bit flawed, never tried an AC game nor Warh Dogs, and I own MGSV, Child of Light, Tomb Raider, Diablo 3, Arkham Knight, and Rayman.

Thanks for any suggestions!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

kalensc posted:

The E3 sale and $15 Code for spending $100 are intriguing. Unsure if there's $100 of good deals on games I want though, already own a lot of them.

Middle-Earth GotY looks really solid. After that, anyone have thoughts on the merits of these games?

InFamous: Second Son - Dust: Elysian Tail was fantastic, would this fill my quota of "learn flashy moves and smack enemies around on a whim"?

Alien: Isolation - Two great movies I saw last century (lol the rest), is the game worth it if you're just a very casual fan of the series?

Darksiders Ii - I remember the first was described as Zelda with new ideas, looked neat but I never played it. Is this solid enough for a port from last gen?

Unravel - Visually striking, and I enjoyed Child of Light and Rayman a lot. Does this game come close to those two in substance and fun gameplay?

Dark Souls II - Only games from the series I've tried was Demon's Souls on the 360. If I get this on sale, would it be worthwhile to play Dark Souls I first? Realistic to foresee a DS1 PS4 re-release in the future?

That totals $80, what might I have overlooked? JC3 looks too buggy on consoles, Destiny seems ok but still a bit flawed, never tried an AC game nor Warh Dogs, and I own MGSV, Child of Light, Tomb Raider, Diablo 3, Arkham Knight, and Rayman.

Thanks for any suggestions!

The Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd Costume Club Season Pass should put you over your limit.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
wait, unraveled came out?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Middle-Earth GotY - the base game is all you need the dlc isn't anything special

InFamous: Second Son - its good

Alien: Isolation - its good but a bit overlong and annoying towards the end

Darksiders Ii - its pretty meh

Unravel - play the free demo to see if you like it but the game has no substance at all.

Dark Souls II - its good. play it. don't worry about the order you go in all you'll be missing is some vague call backs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BillmasterCozb posted:

wait, unraveled came out?

yeah it sucks

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is the story good in Middle Earth at least? I don't care about easy combat, I'm pretty lazy so that's a good thing in my book. If there's a decent story and characters and the action looks cool then it's good for me.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Snowy posted:

Is the story good in Middle Earth at least? I don't care about easy combat, I'm pretty lazy so that's a good thing in my book. If there's a decent story and characters and the action looks cool then it's good for me.

Its a LoTR game, so no. Well except for a certain character. RIP Ratbag

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Snowy posted:

Easy combat is a lie. Sometimes. I was in fights with 5 captains and about 60 dudes at one point last night, including dudes with shields, and spearthrowers, couple of archers sniping from up on towers. It was so good.

Story is all just blah blah blah dead wives, we're ghosts now, boo hoo or something. All I care about is taking revenge on that scrub orc who sniped me in my last fight and who is now a captain working his way up the ranks.

The map is eh, the story I don't care about, but those orcs you fight are just so goddamn great to fight and kill and even die to. They are just the best characters. I said it earlier, but I'd legit put any of these random orcs ahead of most villains in any other game. They get great dialogue (with surprisingly great lip sync animations) and the nemesis system is every good as everyone has ever said.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Snowy posted:

Shadow of Mordor was a fantastic game. It's just a bit on the short side for full retail price at launch and once the magic of the Nemesis system wears off its not a super deep game. It's pretty much the perfect kind of title to get heavily discounted a couple years later.

Infamous Second Son is similar if anyone hasn't already played it. I got it as a free bonus with my PS4 and loved it, but it's definitely short even with an evil and a good play through for the platinum trophy.

Edit: It's been so long I almost forgot, do not buy the PS3 version of Shadow of Mordor. If I remember correctly it's a super stripped down terrible version. PS4 only.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 19, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Not PSN, but Dark Souls 3 is $39.99 at Best Buy this week ($32+tax with GCU.) Great price on a great game if you didn't already pick it up, and a good one to start with if you've never played a Souls game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

BGrifter posted:

Edit: It's been so long I almost forgot, do not buy the PS3 version of Shadow of Mordor. If I remember correctly it's a super stripped down terrible version. PS4 only.

i think the ps3 version doesnt have the nemesis system at all

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Real hurthling! posted:

Middle-Earth GotY - the base game is all you need the dlc isn't anything special

InFamous: Second Son - its good

Alien: Isolation - its good but a bit overlong and annoying towards the end

Darksiders Ii - its pretty meh

Unravel - play the free demo to see if you like it but the game has no substance at all.

Dark Souls II - its good. play it. don't worry about the order you go in all you'll be missing is some vague call backs.

Cool thanks. GotY is cheaper than the base game for whatever reason. :shrug:

Guess I'll drop Alien, quick looks didn't capture my interest enough. Shame about Unravel.

Was Darksiders II "meh" due to it simply having mediocre gameplay, or was it more of a "it's fine but I've had my fill of this yoe of game" feeling?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

kalensc posted:

Cool thanks. GotY is cheaper than the base game for whatever reason. :shrug:

Guess I'll drop Alien, quick looks didn't capture my interest enough. Shame about Unravel.

Was Darksiders II "meh" due to it simply having mediocre gameplay, or was it more of a "it's fine but I've had my fill of this yoe of game" feeling?

Darksiders 2 was just Meh because of the change from the first one. The first one was a nice Zelda/God of War/Metroidvania type game where the progression was based on finding new items and using them to go further. The second one became more of a weird Diablo like game where you got skill points and such and had a lot of platforming which just sucked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alien: Isolation is way better than Shadow of Mordor.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they are very different games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darksiders 2 also runs like poo poo on PS4, it looks nice but starts dropping down to 20fps whenever you're fighting anything.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

alien isolation outstayed its welcome

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

baram. posted:

alien isolation outstayed its welcome

Shadow of Mordor did too, and much worse I think.

Awesome! posted:

I mean yeah but I'm just saying I enjoyed them both but Isolation was much more of a cool experience.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Awesome! posted:

not the way i play them

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For someone that has never played Tomb Raider but enjoys adventure games, is the Ultimate Edition worth the five bucks?

And how are the odds of MKXL getting a better deal anytime soon?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

For someone that has never played Tomb Raider but enjoys adventure games, is the Ultimate Edition worth the five bucks?

Definitely, TB is a genuinely good game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's v. good as long as the unnecessarily brutal death scenes don't bother you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tomb Ra1d3r is one of the best games in recent memory, better than any Uncharted bar 4. The climbing/adventuring/Metroidvania style stuff is top notch and the weapon and skill upgrades make it a more satisfying action game than the UC series. And it looks bat-crappingly gorgeous on PS4 (actually it looks nearly as great on PS3 really).

e: Mortal Kombat XL is maybe not worth getting since Injustice 2 is coming and at this point the online kommunity for MKX is nothing but people who will easily and totally destroy you with kombos and cheese. The story mode is extremely fun though.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

kalensc posted:

Absolutely play Dark Souls 1 first if you can. Dark Souls II is... well, people have mixed opinions on it, but general consensus is that it isn't nearly as good as Dark Souls. Dark Souls 1 is especially good and still far and away the best, most significant game in the series, so it's the one you want to start with. It won't be as good if you come to it after having beaten Dark Souls II. Also Dark Souls II is harder and less fair, and it's made by a different team who didn't quite nail what was good about the original.

Unfortunately, a DS1 re-release on PS4 is pretty unlikely, at least in the near future. Best way to play it now is on PC with the DSFix mod and DSCM connectivity mod, both of which are simple to find and install.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yes, please please play Dark Souls 1. I dunno which one is better to play first (I'm not a fan of 2 and that actually makes me want to recommend it first), but at some point in your life playing Dark Souls 1 is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dark souls 2 is the worst ds but it's still better than all other games

• Locked thread