Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Hootington posted:

You read all of Countdown? I checked out of it after 3 issues and just picked up the bits that interested me.
I read all of it, made a game attempt of annotating it for most of its run, and more or less went down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out how it got made.

It was the closest thing to "comics journalism fame" I ever had, and if I had one ultimate wish it would be to do a Frost/Nixon style series of interviews with the major players, because I think it would be an incredible look into how the sausage of 2000s comics were produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Countdown sucked but it gave us some great SuperBoyman Prime.

And Monarch. Remember Monarch?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jimmy olsen hosed that one bug lady

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Edge & Christian posted:

I read all of it, made a game attempt of annotating it for most of its run, and more or less went down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out how it got made.

It was the closest thing to "comics journalism fame" I ever had, and if I had one ultimate wish it would be to do a Frost/Nixon style series of interviews with the major players, because I think it would be an incredible look into how the sausage of 2000s comics were produced.

That is a lot of work for a lovely comic. Was it your job?

FilthyImp posted:

Countdown sucked but it gave us some great SuperBoyman Prime.

And Monarch. Remember Monarch?

Superboyman prime was the greatest character for 7 or so years.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wasn't Countdown the comic that had that splash page with after Lightray being killed with Superman screaming "Who is strong enough...TO KILL A GOD?!" or something like that?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I always enjoyed the way all the plot points were dropped like a rock for the final three issues and we got a nonsensical end for all the characters effectively retconning the whole series.

IIRC Johns even joked about it by including a "Coutdown doesn't matter" message in Booster Gold at the time.

A shame really, I enjoyed the Search for Ray Palmer and Arena had potential.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think Arena pissed me off the most. DC had brought back the multiverse after about 20 years and then decided to kill off major characters from various Elseworlds stories. RIP in peace New Frontier Wonder Woman :argh:.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Arena was a good idea if it was Elseworlds. It was not so it is bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guys, I don't know what you're all talking about, but I have it on pretty good authority that Countdown was actually 52 done right and not just a giant mess. I have to believe that's the final word on the subject.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think Arena pissed me off the most. DC had brought back the multiverse after about 20 years and then decided to kill off major characters from various Elseworlds stories. RIP in peace New Frontier Wonder Woman :argh:.

Yeah, it was kind of funny. Remember all these cool Elseworld characters? WELL NOW THEY'RE ALL DEAD.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, it was kind of funny. Remember all these cool Elseworld characters? WELL NOW THEY'RE ALL DEAD.

Yeah but it was worth it.

In exchange we got the massive new character sensation known as FORERUNNER

aka Fore-chan.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

muscles like this? posted:

That was pretty much what they were trying to do with Convergence, too, but with more "and then they kissed, the end" than deaths. Hey, check it out, it's all your favorites from before the reboot! They're going away forever after two issues!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I was gonna say we've had N52 Raven so we must've had Trigon, but then I have zero idea what N52 Raven's whole deal is so maybe not.

In any case, Hungry Narrator should be from a whole other world -- presumably, another Earth in the Multiverse -- and I don't know if that applies to Trigon.

It sounds a lot like Mandrakk, frankly.

Raven is how she always was iirc from Teen Titans. Daughter of Trigon, empath powers and all of that. She was originally a pawn of his before turning or something.

Nu52 Teen Titans was a mess essentially

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
So as part of DC's promotion for Rebirth, DC made some playlists on Spotify to tie into the #1 issues for a few series. Here's a link to the Batman #1 playlist, from here you can click on the DC account to see the other playlists: https://open.spotify.com/user/official_dc/playlist/5AIn3b1ypYc0EAoXgeut2T

The song choices on some of these are just :psyduck:, like The Coup's The Guillotine for Superman #1, Metallica's Seek & Destroy for Titans #1, Hungarian Fantasy by the USSR State Symphony for Batman #1, Flash #1's is just the Flash TV show's soundtrack and a few soundtracks from Tron and The Last of the Mohicans, etc. There's some fun choices in a lot of these playlists.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

So as part of DC's promotion for Rebirth, DC made some playlists on Spotify to tie into the #1 issues for a few series. Here's a link to the Batman #1 playlist, from here you can click on the DC account to see the other playlists: https://open.spotify.com/user/official_dc/playlist/5AIn3b1ypYc0EAoXgeut2T

The song choices on some of these are just :psyduck:, like The Coup's The Guillotine for Superman #1, Metallica's Seek & Destroy for Titans #1, Hungarian Fantasy by the USSR State Symphony for Batman #1, Flash #1's is just the Flash TV show's soundtrack and a few soundtracks from Tron and The Last of the Mohicans, etc. There's some fun choices in a lot of these playlists.

Disappointed Batdance isn't on there.

e: Holy poo poo, that Wonder Woman playlist is loving ridiculous. Pony? Are you kidding me right now??

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 19, 2016

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

X-O posted:

Guys, I don't know what you're all talking about, but I have it on pretty good authority that Countdown was actually 52 done right and not just a giant mess. I have to believe that's the final word on the subject.

And it gave us the character find of the decade, the awesome and amazing and invincible Forerunner!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Darth Nat posted:

And it gave us the character find of the decade, the awesome and amazing and invincible Forerunner!

You just know that someone was really proud of themselves for making her real name a palindrome.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

About the nicest thing you can say about Forerunner is that between seeming like she was imported from another pop genre, and her vague but broad toolkit of superpowers, she's the most Golden Age character created in a long time.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They did WHAT!?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Superstring posted:

They did WHAT!?

Don't worry she doesn't exist anymore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an interesting oral history of Countdown from 2012 which follows it from start to finish.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Hey, that's me! And I still need to fix our old site.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Issue #52 of Countdown sold more than issue #1. How many other titles can claim that :smuggo:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

There actually wasn't a 52nd issue because they were planning on doing 51-0 but then they never published the 0 issue so it was a 51 issue series counting down to nothing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Hey, that's me! And I still need to fix our old site.

Haha! What a coincidence! :D

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
September Solicits got out early

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #2

Written by Scott Lobdell, art by Dexter Soy, cover by Giuseppe Camuncoli, Cam Smith, variant cover by Matteo Scalera.

"Dark Trinity" part 2! Red Hood's investigation takes a painful turn when he encounters a mysterious woman named Artemis! Outmatched by this powerful Amazon, Jason's only hope for survival is finding a common ground with his attacker--that is, if Artemis gives him the chance!

32 pages, $2.99, in stores on Sept. 14.

I'm loving this :allears:

And Artemis looks quite badass in the cover.

EDIT:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...breaking_banner

Full solicits are out

quote:

RED HOOD/ARSENAL VOL. 2: DANCING WITH THE DEVIL’S DAUGHTER TP
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by JAVIER FERNANDEZ, DEXTER SOY and JOE BENNETT
Cover by LEONARDO MANCO
As the boys deal with their success as a rent-a-hero company, new trouble puts Jason and Roy to the test! And with a new hire like Joker’s Daughter, who needs enemies? Collects issues #7-13, plus RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS: REBIRTH #1!
On sale OCTOBER 12 • 184 pg, FC, $16.99 US

Pretty drat nice!

I hope they change the cover though.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 20, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

quote:

“FAMILY DINNER”! The rookie Green Lanterns try to reconcile some of their differences, when Simon Baz makes a terrifying offer to Jessica by inviting her over for dinner with his family. Can the two survive this with the mysterious Guardian tracking the duo?

Well poo poo, maybe I need to give this book another chance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Solicits are really weird now with the biweekly publishing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

That sounds like the perfect issue for a good buddy cop/team up book but Green Lanterns feels like Jessica and Simon have the same personality except Simon's somewhat more opposed to teaming up/wants to spend a few seconds arguing with Jessica before proceeding with the teamup.

Also the artwork (or at least the poses) for Jessica is awful.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 21, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rebirth sale on New 52 Detective Comics and Action Comics. I've read through Action, but haven't touched Detective. Any of the arcs worth getting at that price?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's pretty clear that Simon and Jess are going to end up as a couple.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rebirth sale on New 52 Detective Comics and Action Comics. I've read through Action, but haven't touched Detective. Any of the arcs worth getting at that price?

Detective is terrible for the first solid year or however long Tony Daniel was writing it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty clear that Simon and Jess are going to end up as a couple.

Probably, and that's honestly the dumbest thing the book could do. I'm interested enough in their character concepts to check out the book, but I'm not sure I care enough about the characters themselves to keep reading the book much less care enough about them hooking up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

But see he can encourage her to get out of her shell and navigate public spaces via his magic therapy inducing dick and-oh wow would you look at that I'm bleeding from my eyes. Huh.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God Almighty DC, stop trying to make Joker's Daughter a thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't get any romantic vibes from Simon and Jessica at all.

But then, I'm also not a big fan/proponent of the whole silly romcom "They seem to hate each other, so they must really like each other" motif.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
So this Batman crossover thing? Am I being cynical or is this just a band-aid to hide the fact that going bi-weekly is already not quite working out for them schedule-wise?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Solicits are really weird now with the biweekly publishing.

I really don't like seeing "Batman #7: The Storyline You Just Started In Last Week's Issue #1: Epilogue"
Solicits are twice as dangerous now :ohdear:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Detective No. 27 posted:

At the very least, there's a quick two-parter I quite liked from a few months back showing Bat-Gordon cooperating with the Justice League and acting as the humanizing element in that world; if you're into that sort of thing plus the requisite 'detective out what's going on' beats, I'd recommend it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Woof. Check out next week.
ART OPS #9
DARK KNIGHT III MASTER RACE #5
DEATHSTROKE ANNUAL #2
GRAYSON ANNUAL #3
LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN #7
SUICIDERS KING OF HELLA #4
TEEN TITANS ANNUAL #2

I know it's a regular thing to do Annuals instead of issues in the 5th week of a month, but now's probably not the best time to put on the brakes.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shameless posted:

So this Batman crossover thing? Am I being cynical or is this just a band-aid to hide the fact that going bi-weekly is already not quite working out for them schedule-wise?

I don't know, but it's definitely a good way to get me to stop reading Batman comics.