Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

N is for Nipples posted:

I'm just gonna admit to myself I hosed up hard by allowing myself to be peer-pressured into getting a literbike as basically my first ride. I'm gonna go buy a GS500E.

Good job. This keep the blood on the inside, and you'll become a much better rider and enjoy yourself more with a GS.

Coredump posted:

You guys seem really bothered by what happened to Chichevache when it has zero effect on any of you personally. :confused:

I think chiche is the only one bothered by it. I don't think anyone seriously cares... right? All I saw in it was fate swapped his drz nightmare for a rad ZREX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

I think chiche is the only one bothered by it. I don't think anyone seriously cares... right? All I saw in it was fate swapped his drz nightmare for a rad ZREX.

It's a net loss. I was learning to wheelie the DRZ right before it was stolen. I can't practice on my poor rex until I have a spare bike. :sigh:

I bought the rex before the DRZ was recovered. My dream was to have both at the same time, if I could repair the old dizzer. Then I'd never have to worry about driving a car again. :shepicide:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

You guys seem really bothered by what happened to Chichevache when it has zero effect on any of you personally. :confused:

Anything that makes him happy or satisfied diminishes us all.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The AMA has car+motorcycle roadside assistance for $49/yr.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

call to action posted:

The AMA has car+motorcycle roadside assistance for $49/yr.

Yeah, I bought that a few months ago and I am very happy my $50 is going to fight Native American land rights instead of legalizing lane-splitting in the lesser 49.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, I bought that a few months ago and I am very happy my $50 is going to fight Native American land rights instead of legalizing lane-splitting in the lesser 49.

Maybe the Native Americans will let us lane split on their land?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hobolicious posted:

Maybe the Native Americans will let us lane split on their land?

Doesn't matter, as long as ATV and dirt bike rights are protected from the indigent indigenous.:clint:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

Doesn't matter, as long as ATV and dirt bike rights are protected from the indigent indigenous.:clint:

The AMA is so comically misguided anymore that I place them right beside "1%-ers" and liter bike bros at gas stations in the scale of legitimate motorcycle organizations.

I swear if there was a sport out there that requires you to tie dogs to the back of quads and drag them behind to see who can kill their dog first, the AMA would be there defending animal abusers and ignoring the dude sweating his rear end off in traffic as each state bans motorcycles from using the HOV lanes.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Don't forget that Evil Ethanol:

Their roadside assistance has worked for me in the past, so it's still worth the $50 to me.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Just use Progressive.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Or State Farm. I've got roadside through them.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
It's almost like most "bike people" are kind of terrible and any organization that tries to cater to 1%rs, squidbros, and middle aged Harley leather daddies is going to end up doing dumb poo poo.

Reminds me of the NRA.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 15, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Marxalot posted:

It's almost like most "bike people" are kind of terrible and any organization that tries to cater to 1%rs, squidbros, and middle aged Harley leather daddies is going to end up doing dumb poo poo.

Reminds me of the NRA.

gr8 b8 m8

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Coredump posted:

You should be bothered by it too since his insurance fraud means higher premiums for the rest of us.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Koruthaiolos posted:

You should be bothered by it too since his insurance fraud means higher premiums for the rest of us.

Don't buy insurance. Problem solved.

For content, my mother called me to tell me a motorcycle cop in our city was dead. That was all. Apparently I'm supposed to feel bonded to this man, somehow. I guess next time I see a car accident I'll text her or something.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm the last person to say something like this but she was just saying she worries about you riding and was thinking of you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm the last person to say something like this but she was just saying she worries about you riding and was thinking of you.

Then she should probably stay under 50 mph in residential areas.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Or quit running over motorcycle cops.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Retarded Pimp posted:

And with that, the original tale takes a grisly and hilarious turn.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Retarded Pimp posted:

:laffo:

You must know a bleach-blonde woman rapidly approaching 65.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

....mph in a school zone

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I'm trying to nurse this baby Hawk back to health and just noticed that the Kreem liner some DPO applied is failing and it's going to be a huge loving pain to clean up. I loving hate Kreem. This is the "I'm trying to unfuck this bike" equivalent of this scene (replace "Karen" with "Previous Owner"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voDqfVthTpA&t=33s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

I'm trying to nurse this baby Hawk back to health and just noticed that the Kreem liner some DPO applied is failing and it's going to be a huge loving pain to clean up. I loving hate Kreem. This is the "I'm trying to unfuck this bike" equivalent of this scene (replace "Karen" with "Previous Owner"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voDqfVthTpA&t=33s

Ask me about a wiring harness enclosed entirely by one huge length of jumbo sized heat shrink :suicide:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slavvy posted:

Ask me about a wiring harness enclosed entirely by one huge length of jumbo sized heat shrink :suicide:

That sounds nice. Ask me about wiring harnesses wrapped in three different types of electrical tape.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That sounds nice. Ask me about wiring harnesses wrapped in three different types of electrical tape.

Was it a Harley? Red/white/blue? :911:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Anti-rant: seeing an old dude at set of traffic lights jump out of his car to stop everyone going on green so they wouldn't accidentally squash a bunch of baby ducks that were crossing the junction. :3:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If your bike has an output shaft bearing that falls out in little pieces when you take the front sprocket off, what's the next step?

My PO decided the next step was to take the cam chain tensioner out and run the engine for reasons he couldn't quite explain. He even volunteered to start the thing up with the tensioner out so I could hear it running.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Slavvy posted:

If your bike has an output shaft bearing that falls out in little pieces when you take the front sprocket off, what's the next step?

My PO decided the next step was to take the cam chain tensioner out and run the engine for reasons he couldn't quite explain. He even volunteered to start the thing up with the tensioner out so I could hear it running.

What the....
:aaaaa:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Further learnings: the donor bike with the black frame has a black frame because it was painted using a brush. Indiscriminately. On basically everything including fasteners, fork lowers, calipers, handlebars etc.

Also, lost your fork pinch bolts? No problem, just go to the hardware store and get some similar looking ones with an imperial thread and just make them fit!

Also red sealer fixes everything. Exhaust leaks, oil leaks, wiring harness brackets, fairings, lack of thread locker, ignition leads. Everything.

The current list of what's good on the donor bike is:

Engine
Shock
Switchgear
Instrument cluster against all odds

Everything else is only worth scrap value.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Further learnings: the donor bike with the black frame has a black frame because it was painted using a brush. Indiscriminately. On basically everything including fasteners, fork lowers, calipers, handlebars etc.

Also, lost your fork pinch bolts? No problem, just go to the hardware store and get some similar looking ones with an imperial thread and just make them fit!

I- wh- but... :tizzy:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Also red sealer fixes everything. Exhaust leaks, oil leaks, wiring harness brackets, fairings, lack of thread locker, ignition leads. Everything.

Sounds like it was stolen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Sounds like it was stolen.

This was my thought as well but the vin number is completely dead and not wanted by the cops, so stolen and recovered maybe? No matter, the nice shiny A2 frame is the one getting put back on the road anyway.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Cool, I thought a bit of contact cleaner made my sensor work properly again, but today it was at its worst. So I'm going to have to buy a second hand sensor and install it before going on vacation in two weeks. And probably have someone do my valves.

And I broke my toe by standing up. gently caress me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Edit: ^^^ what? How?

Slavvy posted:

This was my thought as well but the vin number is completely dead and not wanted by the cops, so stolen and recovered maybe? No matter, the nice shiny A2 frame is the one getting put back on the road anyway.

Your PO is hilarious. Can't you just sandblast the old frame (and some other stuff) and then powder coat it? As terrible as it may look, some paint doesn't seem like a reason to scrap it. Instead it's an opportunity to finally test out that day-glo powder coat.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

KARMA! posted:

And I broke my toe by standing up. gently caress me.

You can't just drop that here and walk away.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Every time I suit up in my Klim gear: "expecting rain?"

"... or something."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Your PO is hilarious. Can't you just sandblast the old frame (and some other stuff) and then powder coat it? As terrible as it may look, some paint doesn't seem like a reason to scrap it. Instead it's an opportunity to finally test out that day-glo powder coat.

Not scrapping the bike, but they owe me money and the intent is to sell one of them as a profiteering excercise. So the engine and all the other good bits will go on the good frame which is a $40 inspection away from being road legal and sold. The problem with the black frame is that it's completely deregistered, the number plate is dead. If I want to get it road legal again I have to jump through a couple of expensive, time consuming hoops, which I've successfully done before with other bikes. My plan is to keep the frame and busted engine and do a proper rebuild and resto when I have the chance, then register it and keep it as a novelty toy.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Looking at a dealership floor with price tags listing MSRP, and the dealer's 'sale' price of several thousand more :raise:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Chichevache posted:

You can't just drop that here and walk away.

Well I was sitting on the floor and then I got up. That's it. That's the whole loving story. I sat, I stood, I snapped. I have no clue how this happened. I did not roll my foot awkwardly, bumped it against something other than the floor apparently. I guess the floor hates my foot now.

Listen, folks: always ATGATT because you never know what can happen. If I was wearing my boots I would've been spared this ordeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Time to invest in those new SMX-0 slippers.