Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair the Byakugan, normal Sharingan and Rinnegan are all actually kind of okay. It's the loving Mangyeko Sharingan and Perfect Mangyeko Sharingan that make everything terrible, also how much the importance is given to the Uchiha over the other characters and clans. The Byakugan just gives you 360 degrees of pseudo x-ray vision, the Sharingan gives you the ability to see everything directly in front of you no matter how fast and the Rinnegan gives you mastery of Chakra/Jutsu. None of which are particularly ridiculous on their own considering you can replicate them with other Chakra techniques or training.

The Mangyeko is ridiculous because everyone gets 2 unique powers, one in the Right Eye and one in the Left Eye. They all also get the Susanoo no matter what, which can have it's own personal silly powers. There is no limit to how powerful these powers can be, as Danzo has proven and Tobi/Madara continues to prove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
The Byakugan sounds more like an inconvenience than anything. You can't do overpowered bullshit with it, everyone assumes you're blind, they keep calling you 'that bakugan guy', you look through a wall and accidentally see Jiraiya eating ramen out of a woman's belly button

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Squarely Circle posted:

The Byakugan sounds more like an inconvenience than anything. You can't do overpowered bullshit with it, everyone assumes you're blind, they keep calling you 'that bakugan guy', you look through a wall and accidentally see Jiraiya eating ramen out of a woman's belly button

Although he was a popular author, Jiraiya's attempts to popularize the "ramen shot" as a bar experience never caught on. Historians claim that society was able to prosper thanks to this particular decadence's failure to launch.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

"I use my eyes power and it doesn't work and I get you"

Perfect explanation of the characters with a Sharingan.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I actually wrote a program that generates random anime / visual novel / light novel names. I only gave it one sentence pattern, but there are some wrinkles in it, so it comes up with things like "Remember Those Fists" and "Lift Up This Dream of Yours" and "If You Search For That Feeling". Unfortunately it can only output in Japanese, so I don't imagine it's very interesting to a general audience.

Even the experts haven't cracked the technology for randomly generating anime stories yet, though. Give it another few years.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
You could tell me any one of those was the actual title of a Naruto episode and I would...

...Believe It

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Squarely Circle posted:

The main benefit is it uses like no loving Chakra and is literally impossible to fool. You cannot hide from the Byakugan whilst within their field of vision and those can get pretty huge. They also have secondary stuff where they can see a bunch of other Chakra stuff, like seals and through Genjutsu. In comparison the Rinnegan can cripple you if you're not careful, as Pein learnt, and the Mangekyo sends you blind from overuse unless you combine your eyes with a close genetic match through unspecified means. Also there is something overpowered you can do with the Byakugan that you can't with the others, which is you can target Chakra points and permanently cripple opponents with a touch, or if you have enough chakra control from extreme distances. If it hadn't been for the fact that Naruto has the fox he would've died or at least permanently lost his ability to be a Ninja in that fight Neji in the Chunin exams. Additionally the Byakugan can kill people by targetting the Chakra point at the heart or brain, which is instantly fatal if done right from my understanding.

Admittedly anyone could theoretically learn the techniques but the Byakugan makes them accurate and actually usable on combat.

There's something neat about Kisame and Killer Bee by the way. If you hit people with Samehada it actually drains Chakra, which is what it's unique power is. Kisame is great because he's actually an okay guy for a horrifying murderer who looks like a shark. If you had to work with a member of the Akatsuki he's the one you want because he will complete the job and do so whilst ensuring you survive unless your sacrifice is necessary.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 6, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So, folks who have watched/read Naruto, how many episodes/chapters did the shark-man spend hiding on Killer Bee's back? Because these games skip swaths of plot, and he fake-died back in UNS2, so I have to imagine that in "real" time, Shark Boy was biding his time shapeshifted into a sword on Killer Bee's back for like six loving months.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 7, 2016

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i just wanna say that if i sounded extra pissed this recording its because i was roused to do naruto in the middle of playing witcher 2, a actual decently written game that shares naruto's utter disregard to let women do something cool

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

i just wanna say that if i sounded extra pissed this recording its because i was roused to do naruto in the middle of playing witcher 2, a actual decently written game that shares naruto's utter disregard to let women do something cool

I personally thought it was mostly a gag, honestly. Since these later episodes are just a contest of 'who wants to be here less' between you and Hobotron.

Sadly, those chains are very thick and neither of you can reach the hacksaw.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I personally thought it was mostly a gag, honestly. Since these later episodes are just a contest of 'who wants to be here less' between you and Hobotron.

Sadly, those chains are very thick and neither of you can reach the hacksaw.

just like in the witcher 2 when geralt and roche are forced into a unlikely partnership by being transformed into an entire prison chain gang

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

FutureFriend is the tsundere of the Otaku Trash Machine.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

dont describe me with such awful words

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChorpSaway posted:

Is he more of a Tsuntsun or a Deredere?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

White Coke posted:

Is he more of a Tsuntsun or a Deredere?

FutureFriend posted:

This is probably exactly what his reply would be too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FutureFriend posted:

Don't worry, I think you're a very believable and relatable character. Chorps is too much of an audience stand-in to be interesting.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How long did it take for her to set up 1 billion paper bombs underneath the ocean that would explode for ten minutes? IS it like how engineers, the true futuremen of our society, use the power of science to sink concrete into the pitiless depths of the river and have it solidify?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Since you asked about this on the bonus episode of the podcast, my blind translation of "Chiccha na Mune no Tokimeki" would be "Throbbing of a Little Heart". I assume the reason you couldn't find that anywhere online is that everyone else was too embarrassed to type something so cutesy.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

The flames of war are sparking! While every prepares to throw Naruto into a makeshift bunker, the kages prepare to join their armies and Madara has a few more things to take care of before he starts his assault. Let finish off the last bit of Chapter 5 before the Fourth Great Ninja War begins!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Kabuto Yakushi
Former member of the Hidden Leaf Village, former spy for Sasori, former underling to Orochimaru, currently in works with Madara to start the Fourth Great Ninja War. He injected himself with Orochimaru's DNA and now is a lot more snake than before, including having a snake popping out of his stomach. He's mastered the ability to reanimate and control dead people, which is a major portion of his and Madara's army. Can he scale the rough underground ninja market and become a powerful member of Madara's ranks?

Deidara
A former member of the Akatsuki. Talk about a blast from the past! Bursting back onto the scene, Deidara is primed and ready to enact revenge on all those who wronged him before. It seems as though he hasn't lost his spark, still able to battle just as well as he did previously.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

HGH posted:

Aw jeez, that's two cool moments that didn't really get their due.
Kisame's suicide involved trapping himself in a water bubble and then summoning a bunch of sharks to eat him alive inside it.

Thanks, I was trying to remember this but I forgot if he bit off his own tongue, made his sharks eat him, or both.

e: Oh hey an update! Hey, you guys know about the Basketball Goal too! It's me, normal human being Theodore "Ted" Cruz!

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 11, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Deidara really got his fuse lit in this update.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
And this is the part where Captain Yamato gets unceremoniously written out of the series. Barely anyone even reacts to that.
I never liked him anyway.

I'm glad the Kiebler Rock Ninja is the star of the episode though.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
This was

A real good episode.

Seriously though if they're just going to reuse the villains from the last game, I'm glad we at least have such good supporting characters as "small man who flies" to fill out the roster.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Samurai dude sounds super proud of getting to design the ninja headbands and sit in on their meeting. It's nice to feel included :unsmith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Squarely Circle posted:

Samurai dude sounds super proud of getting to design the ninja headbands and sit in on their meeting. It's nice to feel included :unsmith:

"I designed these headbands that say simply 'ninja'. And samurai will be teaming up with ninja!"

Well sounds like you hosed up your symbol then, Head Samurai Man. Or maybe he just hates being a samurai and wants to be a ninja too.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, the war against Madara begins in Chapter 6! Gaara calls all nations to overcome their differences in order to take down their common enemy, and things immediately get fired up on the battlefield! It's a battle of wits as two great samurai begin to fight! Oh and some other people too.

Sasori
A former member of the Akatsuki. Once a puppetmaster, now he's being puppeted around by Kabuto to help spark the Fourth Great Ninja War.

Hanzo
A former leader of the Village Hidden in the Rain. As a child, he had a salamander's venom sac implanted in his body to make him poisonous and also immune to poison. He wears the face masks in order to protect others from his poisonous breath. He wields two scythes attached by a chain and was feared for his incredible might before he was killed by Pain. Now he's back, with a vengeance! ...Sort of.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I'm pretty sure Naruto's author got his knowledge of DNA, poison, genetics, organ transplants, etc. from watching Captain Planet.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's worth noting (haha, no it isn't) that that Hanzo guy is the duder who defeated Jiraiya, Tsunade, and snake dick dude when they were young tough sprouts. So Mifune's about as tough as all three of them confirmed.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Does it bother anyone else that Deidra keeps saying "Art is an EXPLOSION" when he should clearly say "Art is a blast"? This is an easy pun and the game just leaves it on the ground.

Also the puppet guy looked supremely awkward to play as. And they force you to use him against the obnoxious projectile spam character.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Does it bother anyone else that Deidra keeps saying "Art is an EXPLOSION" when he should clearly say "Art is a blast"? This is an easy pun and the game just leaves it on the ground.

Also the puppet guy looked supremely awkward to play as. And they force you to use him against the obnoxious projectile spam character.

I think that's an issue of literal translation. Especially if this screenshot is anything to go by.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gologle posted:

It's worth noting (haha, no it isn't) that that Hanzo guy is the duder who defeated Jiraiya, Tsunade, and snake dick dude when they were young tough sprouts. So Mifune's about as tough as all three of them confirmed.

As I recall they were the first team to ever survive a fight against him with no casualties and make him work hard to take them down, so he declared them to be the Legendary three Ninja of Konoha. That's the start of their tale essentially and they were just Genin. For reference he was so deadly that even as the only real Ninja in his land the other Villages wouldn't fight him without a really loving good reason and expected at least 50% casualty rate in a war against him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the zombie jutsu brings the corpses back but it also gives them all their memories and personality traits too? Wouldn't that be inconvenient if like, any of these resurrected guys decided to get even remotely uppity? Like, even if it made them subservient, I remember Sonic Deidara being a real rebellious rear end in a top hat from the last game.

Squarely Circle posted:

I'm pretty sure Naruto's author got his knowledge of DNA, poison, genetics, organ transplants, etc. from watching Captain Planet.

I was gonna say that he went to the same school as Hideo Kojima. Just replace nanomachines with "eye magic".

Ah yes, the rare expansion-fetish-no-jutsu.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

TwoPair posted:

So the zombie jutsu brings the corpses back but it also gives them all their memories and personality traits too? Wouldn't that be inconvenient if like, any of these resurrected guys decided to get even remotely uppity? Like, even if it made them subservient, I remember Sonic Deidara being a real rebellious rear end in a top hat from the last game.

I guess to make sure that they have the same experience and wisdom they had in life? Though Hanzo's thing about "You still have conviction in your heart and I lost it" is amusing. I guess he wasn't debriefed on the fact that he's dead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's good to hear people sounding like they're happy to be in the episode again.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They all realize they died and got brought back to life. Hanzo was talking about how he was when he was younger, because he and Mifune fought before.

TwoPair posted:

There's an additional part of the resurrection technique to take care of that. The summoner can completely wipe the zombies' personalities whenever they want, turning them directly under the summoner's control, instead of letting them think for themselves. The directly controlled zombies still have all of their jutsu knowledge and combat ability. :eng101:

This is what Orochimaru did back when he revived the First and Second Hokages waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the Chuunin Exam, to make them fight the Third.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, war rages on! Kakashi is faced with an all-too-familiar foe, and Might Guy must face his greatest enemy: conventional weapons. Will the tides of war turn from our first successful encounter, or do we have it in us to take down our foes? Let's find out in the exciting finale of Chapter 6!

Zabuza Momochi
One of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist, also known as the Demon of the Hidden Mist. His strength and ruthlessness in combat gave him a frightening reputation in life, and he was greatly respected for his work as part of the ninja black ops. However, after an unsuccessful attempt on the Mizukage's life, he and several other ninja ran away and became mercenaries. It was during this time that he fought, and eventually died at the hands of, Kakashi's Team 7.

Haku
A partner ninja with Zabuza. After Zabuza took him in as a young orphan, Haku was trained to become a great weapon. He had a special bloodline technique that allowed him to combine water and wind magic into ice, which he used mainly in conjunction with his weapon skills as an illusory attack. He devoted himself entirely to Zabuza to give himself a purpose in life, and eventually died protecting him.

By the way, if I ever miss a character or term you want explained lemme know! I haven't been keeping up as well with that since I got one of those stupid job things so just say so if you want some cool ninja bullshit explained.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like how even the game is like 'OH NO YOU DON'T!' When it comes to giving Neji, Hinata, Shino, or Kiba screentime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So wait isn't Zabuza's sword with that water guy who was hanging out with Sasuke? How does Zabuza have it? Or is that just a copy? It must be because, I mean, Zabuza sword cannot be beat! i'm not sorry for linking that

Chorps are you gonna go back and torture your co-commentators play that mission the game made you skip? I demand any possible Keebler elf fights.

ChorpSaway posted:

By the way, if I ever miss a character or term you want explained lemme know! I haven't been keeping up as well with that since I got one of those stupid job things so just say so if you want some cool ninja bullshit explained.

I demand an answer to my dumb question from earlier: I know the games heavily abridge the series, so exactly how long in the manga/anime was Kisame just loving pretending to be a sword on Killer Bee's back?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Chorps are you gonna go back and torture your co-commentators play that mission the game made you skip? I demand any possible Keebler elf fights.

I'm curious about this too because I can't believe they snubbed Kiba and Shino so we could rehash the Zabuza fight all over again. He was like, the first threatening ninja of before Shippuden, why are we giving all this attention to this guy Kakashi could beat with little issue even way back then?

Also, Jesus Christ, people in this game talk like they're giving a confession in the first Assassin's Creed or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

So wait isn't Zabuza's sword with that water guy who was hanging out with Sasuke? How does Zabuza have it? Or is that just a copy? It must be because, I mean, Zabuza sword cannot be beat! i'm not sorry for linking that

I demand an answer to my dumb question from earlier: I know the games heavily abridge the series, so exactly how long in the manga/anime was Kisame just loving pretending to be a sword on Killer Bee's back?

I can't tell you what happened with Zabuza's sword, I don't remember if that's ever justified. I think the idea is that Sasuke still leads what's left of his Taka squad so he may have asked or demanded he pass the sword back to Zabuza. Kisame's sword isn't there so they clearly know some swords are gone but maybe it was just for dramatics. Maybe it's a replica.

Also I literally can't play that mission. It will never let me play that mission. I don't have any choice in what happens during this war sequence, the war room stuff is a ruse to make you think there are choices. I think that fight got the same treatment in the source.

Kisame pretended to be dead and a sword from the end of episode 207 to the beginning of episode 250. It's something like 35 chapters in the manga.

• Locked thread