Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Yay! You got the trolley. If you were so inclined, lube up the casters really good and then grab a cheetah. You could probably ride it across your shop.

Switch delivered it ages ago, it's just been buried in parts in the old garage and probably wasn't visible, still, thanks man! Also I got the one with really dicky casters, so I need to replace them. (any suggestions on which ones to buy?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

These might actually be your best bet. You could then use it as a pit cart / on not perfectly smooth surfaces.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Fuuuuck yeah

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Agreed. I actually deal with casters as well and take my advice that if you go with a "tire" style like that, get foam filled ones if they arent automatically. Nothing worse than having flats on your casters.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Agreed. I actually deal with casters as well

Hook us up then.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ok so, I took the caster off, but it appears that a full replacement unit isn't gonna work, or at least not well.

First off the flanges are custom, because airplanes, and gently caress off the shelf parts am I right? Also they have these little spring tenons in the centre of the lazy susan bearing assembly, which actuates the little brake against the wheel. Since the brake is one of the coolest parts about this cart, I want that to keep working. So, replace the wheels. I had to drill out the centre hole, because the bolt is also custom.

Which was good, because seriously look at the old ones :barf: Thanks for 30 years of air hostess hair leavings and squeezings McTinkerson :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just get brakes on one or two of the new casters and remove the unicorn breaking (AM I RITE??) system on the carts.

What's the dia of the wheel and plate?

Also, because of where I am, you might want to visit your resident junk store with the initials of P.A. - the might stock them...or something close... and save you the freight from me.

Also, you could check out these guys
https://www.casterland.com/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Also, you could check out these guys
https://www.casterland.com/

I bet the guy who started this has one hell of a tumblr.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I went to Calgary casters *to get the new wheels, and it's already fixed so I don't want to do it again.

But the brakes are actuated by the red and green anodized foot pedals on the bottom of the cart there, all four wheels get braced at once, and that's way too neat to replace with caster brakes.

E: *gently caress it was casterland I went to, whoops.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 2, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
On mine at least the action on the pedals is pretty poo poo. I would assume that's why they were removed from active service in the first place.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would assume that's why they were removed from active service in the first place.

Exactly, all of these trolleys were EOL'd for a reason.

Sweet Chili Heat news: Spent an hour last night pulling parts off the car to prep for sanding and vinyl. Vinyl wrap is "booked" for Saturday June 18. By booked, I mean that my buddy who used to contract for a company that wrapped Lambos is coming over and telling me what to do. I intend to spend the rest of the day sanding the car smooth and hitting all bare metal with Corroseal. I'll be spamming Instagram with updates (#tm2twrally).

List of things left to do (Pre-Vinyl Wrap):
  • Remove remainder of everything bolted on, off of the body (roof rack & tail lights)
  • "Install" wing - requires drilling 4 holes in body - then remove wing again
  • Drill hole for light bar wiring in sunroof
  • Sand all uneven parts of body / remove all remnants of side moldings / etc.
  • Cut patch panels for rust holes / door mirror holes / antenna
  • Glue patch panels over rust holes
  • Corroseal / Primer bare metal resulting from grinding & sanding
  • Apply Noxudol 900 to rockers & wheel wells

Can be done whenever:
  • Glue & smooth cracks in dashboard
  • Template dashboard for suede cover
  • Cut suede and sew edges
  • Glue Suede cover onto dash
  • Install rear view mirror (Wink Mirror)
  • Paint Louvers
  • Fix wing
  • Paint wing
  • Install short shifter (figure out if thread adapter needed to run tap handle - if so / acquire thread adapter)
  • Fix rear side marker light wiring

List of things left to do (Post-Vinyl Wrap):
  • Install Roof rack
  • Wire light bar
  • Install Louvers
  • Install Wing
  • Install decals

If time allows:
  • Paint Wheels
  • Wire in relays to kill individual headlight motors (switches, etc)

There's six weeks left until the rally.....We are soooooooo hosed.

Team Cool Ranch was totally right with their philosophy for this. Their car is done.

Edit: Forgot some things :cripes:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 2, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

There's six weeks left until the rally.....We are soooooooo hosed.

I've got to figure out how to change a timing belt still :smith:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I've got to figure out how to change a timing belt still :smith:

The engines non-interference right? Just bring the timing belt with you.

I now have everything unbolted, all rust ground down and the entire body sanded smooth. Tomorrow evening is Corroseal and patch panel time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

The engines non-interference right? Just bring the timing belt with you.

I now have everything unbolted, all rust ground down and the entire body sanded smooth. Tomorrow evening is Corroseal and patch panel time.

Too complicated and the bolts are loving impossible to get at, trying to do it in a field would be a nightmare.

How to change a toyota timing belt part one by Slung Blade age 8:

Step one, remove power steering reservoir. Plug line with a 3/8ths socket extension, use baling wire to hold second line back, plug with paper towel.

Step two: remove engine mount. This one doesn't look too horrible, I guess.

Step the third: Break the fragile-like-glass wire conduit that runs behind the alternator.

A bunch of assholes at Toyota in the late 80s posted:

Engineer: Hey how about we put a plastic that becomes super brittle under thermal load right next to the exhaust manifold?
Project manager: *snorts 5 grams of cocaine* THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA HOLY poo poo DO IT NOW.

Step 4: Admire your workspace. Ahh. :unsmith:

Step 5: rattle gun your harmonic balancer bolt off.

Step six: Use the balancer puller to remov... uh, where are the threads for the puller?

:argh: Toyotaaaa :argh:

Step seven: put the bolt back loosely and use the jaw pullers instead. Whatever.

Step eight: now that everything is out of the way, remove the eight hundred different timing covers and take a look at that belt!

:stare: huh, guess it was due.

Seat Safety Switch via googlechat posted:

Holy poo poo
We lead a charmed life
Yeah we were driving this thing pretty hard, super glad that belt didn't let go.

Step nine: uhhh

Step ten: mark the cogs and teeth so you can line this poo poo back up again on the new belt.

Step eleven: go mow your lawn because jfc it's going to rain tomorrow and it's like 40cm tall. Pick this up again later.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slung Blade posted:

Step ten: mark the cogs and teeth so you can line this poo poo back up again on the new belt.

I've always cut the belt in half longways by turning the engine over with a breaker bar. Slide off the outside half and slide the new belt on. Of course if you're replacing tensioners and stuff this gets more difficult.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've always cut the belt in half longways by turning the engine over with a breaker bar. Slide off the outside half and slide the new belt on. Of course if you're replacing tensioners and stuff this gets more difficult.

I'm going to replace the water pump, tensioners, all the shaft seals and whatever else I can get at in there. Ssswitch got a whole kit for it. That's a great idea though, thanks man!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How many points would this be worth in the rally, assuming it could be done for under-budget?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

How many points would this be worth in the rally, assuming it could be done for under-budget?

buy first, ask questions later!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ExecuDork posted:

:catstare: WHO CARES.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I still think a Class-A pusher motor home would have been awesome

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I looked for short buses and Winebagos, couldn't find poo poo for $<=1000.

As for points breakdown for the limo:

RWD + 100pts
Engine cylinder count > 6 +50pts
Doors of vehicle > 5 +50pts
"Exotic" aka anything British for instance +100pts

~+300 points. That being said - all points assignments are at the discretion of all AI readers who are not participating.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK, maybe not a pusher but drat, I guarantee this could be bought for <$1000
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/st-albert/74-winnibego-brave/1168030561?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's probably already Drakes mobile rape shed, but that might be a bonus for him if he can bring his entertainment. :v:

e: Oh god
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/lethbridge/79-dodge-empress/1159690238?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I know it's not the right year/configuration, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQeD6XjGos is stuck in my head after seeing that first one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Limo may or may not have belonged to a friend of mine who lived in Canada for a while and used it to get to the ski slopes for a season or two.

he now owns a school bus that he fitted out as an RV to travel around with his girlfriend in. He actually looks like Otto from the Simpsons.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

OK, maybe not a pusher but drat, I guarantee this could be bought for <$1000
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/st-albert/74-winnibego-brave/1168030561?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's probably already Drakes mobile rape shed, but that might be a bonus for him if he can bring his entertainment. :v:

e: Oh god
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/lethbridge/79-dodge-empress/1159690238?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Holy poo poo that Minnie Winnie is incredible. It looks 100% livable.

Shame it only has a 318 though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A little spray and a junkyard turbo can probably fix that 318 up if you can find a better cam.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sweet Chili Heat update: Everything now has a thick coat of Corroseal. Hopefully tomorrow evening I can cannibalize the vehicles bent original hood for patch panels.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

Step eleven: go mow your lawn because jfc it's going to rain tomorrow and it's like 40cm tall. Pick this up again later.

SSSwitch came over today and we did some things on the car.

WHERE DID THE OIL PUMP GASKET GO?? oh right it heat welded itself to the loving flange.

New one in, held in place with rear endembly lube. I'm surprised that there's almost no oil glazing in the channels, that's pretty great.

loving camshaft seal. All the shaft seals were rock hard and a total bitch to extract.

Crank seal out. I broke the new one we had, and SSSwitch and I had to run into Airdrie to get a spare. It wasn't all bad, we also got five guys' burgers while in town. Still felt like a doof though.

:dong: gasket

Alright, let's install this water pump!

gently caress. I wasn't even torquing it, I swear.

I had the vise grips all ready to go, but thank goodness I could thread it out with just my fingers. HAIL SATAN, I HAVE BUILT THIS TEMPLE TO HONOUR THEE AND YOU HAVE REWARDED ME WITH THIS BOON

Kit came with a couple spares so I could improvise a bit. Weird it didn't come with all new bolts though...

New belt in, I copied the marks over from the old belt and made sure the tensioner had all the slack. Calling that good enough.

I / we'll work on this more later. poo poo takes forever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Here are my own pictures.

Why is the old coolant yellow? Who of us can say?

Old crank seal out.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm home alone, there's the following left to do before the vinyl wrap next Saturday and I'm hopped up on Monster Energy. Due to a bunch of family poo poo happening all of next week I won't have any time prior to next Friday night.

• Repair wing mounts
  • Mount wing - requires drilling 4 holes in body
  • Corroseal everything
  • Create templates for patch panels using CAD (cardboard aided design)
  • Cut out patch panels using old bent hood
  • Corroseal patch panels
  • Glue patch panels on to car using expired aircraft body epoxy

For those following along on Instagram using the #tm2twrally hashtag, I'm sorry for what it's about to happen. (Totally not sorry.)

Let's loving do this.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

I'm home alone, there's the following left to do before the vinyl wrap next Saturday and I'm hopped up on Monster Energy. Due to a bunch of family poo poo happening all of next week I won't have any time prior to next Friday night.

• Repair wing mounts
  • Mount wing - requires drilling 4 holes in body
  • Corroseal everything
  • Create templates for patch panels using CAD (cardboard aided design)
  • Cut out patch panels using old bent hood
  • Corroseal patch panels

For those following along on Instagram using the #tm2twrally hashtag, I'm sorry for what it's about to happen. (Totally not sorry.)

Let's loving do this.

:toot: wish I was there but I'm currently painting impressionist clouds in a Newfie themed seafood pub with the wife

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wish you better luck than I had today. What a disaster.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ooooh... 3 new updates in the wedding-rally thread! Lesseee...

McTinkerson posted:

Let's loving do this.

DrakeriderCa posted:

:toot: wish I was there but I'm currently painting impressionist clouds in a Newfie themed seafood pub with the wife

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wish you better luck than I had today. What a disaster.

THAT'S ALL WE GET??!!??!! I DEMAND MORE DETAILS!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

All of this progress brought to you courtesy of Sirius XM Hair Nation and Asahi Super Dry.
Shamelessly stolen from Instagram:

I forgot to hit the battery tray with Corroseal during the first round of coating. That has now been rectified.

Like the rest of the body, every panel received it's second coat of rust converter.

All wing mounts have been repaired. Not pictured: Wing mounting holes drilled in the body. I'll need to hit Fastenal for a pair of 35mm long M4 button head bolts for the front wing mounts. The wing can now be painted.

CAD by yours truly.

Traced out on to the hood.

And cut out with Dorito Powers angle grinder. Went through 4 cutting disks.
At this point it was 2200 and since it's Sunday, I'll have to resume the final trimming of each panel tomorrow evening (or which ever evening I can squeeze some time in this week). I'm doing my best not to piss off my direct neighbours too much since they all have school ages children. You bet your rear end they're all getting rides in this thing once it's done. :getin:

Reviewing the list, what have I not completed?
  • Corroseal patch panels

I do believe that I have earned this Jameson sitting before me. Time to watch the latest Roadkill.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

You'll notice that I like to post pictures every time I do an update. :colbert:

Also, mctinkerson, next time you want to do patches, I have a plasma cutter and a decent mig welder you can come use.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's hard for me to post pictures of failing to put the oil-swollen timing cover with bent bolts back onto the Celica, but let's see if I can pull some pictures out of me yelling at Slung Blade over Hangouts.

From about 10 am to about 4 pm, this was my world:

loving GET IN THERE WHY WON'T YOU SLIDE ONTO THE LOWER COVER

(3:00 pm, after finally just redoing the bottom cover and realizing one of the washers fell out and was rust-welded to the block) ok now it's in but why won't the bolts thread

(3:50 pm) oh

I feel sorta dumb since I should've just taken the rear cover off sometime around hour 1 of fighting with the top cover instead of trying various arrangements of power steering line and cursing to make it work.

Even after I get fresh bolts in, it's still going to be a fight getting the cover to line up on the top captive nuts. They're too low by like two mil and there's no way to shift that cover without rubbing up against the engine mount boss.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

How on earth can that happen? Aren't timing covers not structural parts on most engines?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

McTinkerson posted:

How on earth can that happen? Aren't timing covers not structural parts on most engines?

Life, uh, finds a way.

RT having done a t-belt job on one of those cars the timing covers are probably the cuntiest part of the entire deal, and I totally left at least half of them out when I reinstalled everything because seriously go gently caress yourself Toyota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for lying to make me feel better.

Pretty sure previous timing belt changer sat on this cover while brapping an impact until it caught and then riding it out. The captive nuts are pretty dinged up as well.

Every dealer says new bolts are at least a week out so I might bounce out of work early some time this week and take the impact and power cussing to Pick N Pull.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 21, 2016

• Locked thread