Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Chow Yun Fat doing the world's greatest Chow Yun Fat impression and one of the two good movies Conan Lee has ever been in. Eliminators is the other and I'll cut any bitch that says it isn't!

Ninja in the Dragon's Den says hi.

For some loving reason, I'd never seen Tiger on the Beat before now, and it is one of the best buddy cop movies I've ever seen. Gordon Liu is loving awesome in it. Thank you, Classic Martial-Arts Cinema thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Remulak posted:

The Flying Guillotine print on Hulu is one of the most amazing things I've seen in my life. And I look at cool images for a living.

Is it the 1974 Flying Guillotine or Master of the Flying Guillotine?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You say that as a joke but it is a pretty fun movie.

No joke, that is a legit fun movie.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Phrases that are a bad sign on a wikipedia page: "(Of Gymkata fame)"

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Thirding Blind Fury being far far better than it had any right to be. Then again, with Rutger Hauer and Terry O'Quinn the deck was already stacked in its favor. I might even like it better than the Takeshi Kitano remake.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And Sho Kosugi and Tex Cobb and Nick Cassavetes and Meg Foster (for about five minutes)...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Funny to see you guys were talking about how there's no new Hong Kong action stars, I was just talking to a woman from Fujian (on the mainland) last week and she was saying how Hong Kong cinema has really gone downhill since the 90s.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
So, for reasons that I can't fully understand, the internet at my apartment is absolute total crap and I can't reliably watch any video service except youtube.

Fortunately old Kung Fu movies seem to be allowed to exist. And I tend to like them. Which channels have got good movies there?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I misread that as "Which channels have NOT good movies there?" and was about to strongly recommend the channel GodfreyHoCinema. Though he actually did do some fun and trashy John Woo ripoff flicks with people like Yukari Oshima and Sibelle Hu in them! There's one he did called Lethal Panther that's literally like if Canon Films made a remake of The Killer.

Same plot and characters and a lot of imitated shots except now there's THREE assassins instead of one, and they're all women, and a shootout with lots of squibs or a brawl happens every ten minutes. It's ridiculously overwrought and fun. It also has this one (of several so don't watch with kids around) sex scene that involves a balloon that is definitely up there with the pool waterfall sex scene in Showgirls as one of the goofiest ever. A true must watch.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What a strange film Come Drink With Me is. There is a lot to like about it! I love the performances of Golden Swallow, Jade Faced Tiger, and Smiling Tiger. I also quite like a lot of the fight choreography. The best fights in cinema concern themselves with presenting a sense of the control of space. The cinematography and choreography is exemplary, in this sense, in the fight at the altar. There are a lot of little considerations and character moments that I enjoyed, from Jade Faced Tiger tearing his robes off and threatening to blind Golden Swallow with them, to the way that characters throw these oddly floaty poison darts and daggers around (this is one Wuxia element I have a soft spot for, though I don't generally care much for its conventions). The plot is engaging and plays to its strong cast of characters.

Things go awry, though, when the secondary plot is introduced. It feels as if an entirely different film has been grafted onto Come Drink With Me. The conflict between the abbot and the Drunken Cat is almost entirely ancillary to the rest of the plot, but the final act of the movie is totally devoted to resolving it, with the actual hostage crisis being summarily dismissed shortly beforehand, and Golden Swallow being sequestered off screen. This latter bit is especially disappointing considering that it's fairly rare to have a non-exploitative martial arts film with a female star. The fight between the monks is also where the movie leans most heavily on Wuxia conventions. I'm not a fan of these; I find that they both lack the gravity of more grounded martial arts choreography and don't have the appropriate amount of technical proficiency to pull off the spectacle they're going for, instead relying upon a mere suggestion of what you are seeing. I can often be really forgiving of this, because I love a lot of low-budget fantasy films, so long as the idea behind the symbolic spectacle is engaging. There are some films that manage this, like Holy Flame of the Martial World. That isn't really the case, here.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
What I found interesting about Come Drink With Me is how it shows qinggong (moving-around-fast techniques). I liked the scene in the garden where a character is standing over here, then the screen blurs as the camera whips around and now they're standing over there. That's way more in line with qinggong in classic wuxia novels, like Jin Yong's, where a character can take three steps and move twenty feet, than wirework stuff which is all they seemed to use for qinggong after that.

Also 20-year-old Cheng Pei-pei :allears:

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 11, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching One-Armed Swordsman and it's kind of weird how they acted like hiding Long Arm's face was some kind of twist.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some qinggong novels if I liked that style?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

What are some qinggong novels if I liked that style?

If you want classic wuxia novels with lots of magical kung fu, I would personally start with Jin Yong. There's a decent translation of his first novel The Book and the Sword by Graham Earnshaw. His masterpiece is Legend of Condor Heroes but for some insane reason there's never been an official English translation--there are fan translations floating around, the quality is wildly variable but the story is good enough that it shines through. Real rock-solid two-fisted adventure stuff, absolutely kickass.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wheels on Meals has the crazy fight with Urquidez, right?

Don;t know the answer unfortunately, but I bet if the thread puts its head together (LOL) we can answer it for you, OP.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wheels on Meals absolutely does have an insane fight with Benny the Jet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So does Dragons Forever

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The bit where he misses Jackie with a roundhouse kick and it blows out the candles on the table is the dopest

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The whole fight is absolutely insane. Just look at that crazy move Jackie does nine seconds into the video.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, Hulu has all the Zatoichi films right now, and I'm totally binging on them. They're all Criterion (or they are up until Zatoichi and the Chess Master, which is the last movie I watched), and they're fantastic. Is this thread the right place for a Zatoichi effort post? 'Cause I kinda want to do one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, Hulu has all the Zatoichi films right now, and I'm totally binging on them. They're all Criterion (or they are up until Zatoichi and the Chess Master, which is the last movie I watched), and they're fantastic. Is this thread the right place for a Zatoichi effort post? 'Cause I kinda want to do one.

Make a new thread, and link to the thread, please.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is there a good US version of Wheels on Meals or is it youtube for my viewing pleasures?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Bongo Bill posted:

Make a new thread, and link to the thread, please.

He was being sarcastic. This is a good and open megathread

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Theater nearby is showing Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen on Saturday. Considering going but that's a long stretch of Fu. Any opinions?

They're also showing Zardoz after but that's not really related.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Theater nearby is showing Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen on Saturday. Considering going but that's a long stretch of Fu. Any opinions?

They're also showing Zardoz after but that's not really related.

Assuming that's the '67 Dragon Inn given the film that it's paired with? I got to see that one in a theatre and it was a great experience. I always feel like it's a rare treat to see older HK films presented in that manner.

I'd take seeing Zardoz in a theatre over it any day of the week though, but that's just because I've never seen it (or any Boorman, for that matter) in a cinema.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've seen Zardoz before it's definitely a worthwhile experience I'm just not sure if I have the stamina for 3 in a row.

Yeah 67 Dragon Inn and long cut of Touch of Zen. I didn't realize there were so many variations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Yeah 67 Dragon Inn and long cut of Touch of Zen. I didn't realize there were so many variations.

I've also seen Goodbye Dragon Inn in a theater, which is a movie about people seeing Dragon Inn in a theater.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there some kind of rule that says kung fu movies have to end super abruptly? I was watching The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and had to rewind it because I thought the stream had hosed up.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Shaw ends movies abruptly because they're cheap as hell and film costs money

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Is there some kind of rule that says kung fu movies have to end super abruptly? I was watching The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and had to rewind it because I thought the stream had hosed up.

36th Chamber is actually one of the few where it ends on a logical note. Now watch one where the movie ends mid fight with the antagonist. Especially so if its on a freeze-frame of him being knocked down or in the air or tumbling. Those are the most jarring.

For those with the knowledge, I was wondering why after Samaritan Zatoichi they took a two year break from the franchise. Just seemed weird to me that they'd make 2-4 movies a year for nearly a decade then just take a two year break. Were they just not bringing in the box office? Run out of material?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Five Element Ninja has the best ending of all time.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Five Element Ninja has the best ending of all time.

I think it's actually Thundering Mantis.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched The 5 Deadly Venoms tonight although it probably would be better titled "Curse Your Sudden, yet Inevitable Betrayal." Also Lizard style was really hurt by the level of special effects they could do. Seeing as instead of actually acting like a lizard it was just "go stand on the wall but don't move from that spot."

Also am I crazy or did it seem weird that the movie treated it like a big reveal that Ho was one of the Venoms when it just seemed kind of obvious to me considering who he was constantly hanging out with.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 3, 2016

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

How is Lady Snowblood 2?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yaws posted:

How is Lady Snowblood 2?

Dreadful, apparently.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's a lot of fun and has some really badass moments in it, but is definitely a step down from the first. I'd still watch it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They were showing some Bruce Leesploitation at this theater in LA that I got to check out. Soul Brother of Kung Fu was pretty fun but I'm pretty sure Exit The Dragon Enter The Tiger used actual footage of Bruce's funeral/body, which I thought was kinda gross.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't footage of his funeral used in Game of Death?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Yaws posted:

How is Lady Snowblood 2?
It's not good. Stick with the original and skip the sequel. You're better off watching "Broken Oath" which is more of a HK adaptation of the first Lady Snow Blood, only starring Angela Mao who kills dudes by throwing poisonous scorpions at them.

https://youtu.be/NajLT3edQyw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't footage of his funeral used in Game of Death?

It was definitely used in The True Game of Death -http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083233/, shot from what appeared to be a neighboring building. Then again, the flick also uses Bruce Lee footage spliced in as dream sequences, and a dime-store Kareem Abdul-Jabbar-a-like, so they weren't exactly worried about their film-making ethics.