Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The General posted:

and they completely ruin Lennier in like the third last episode or something.

If you told me that Bill Mumy pissed someone power off and they wanted to kill every shot of him having a fan club coming out of the show, I'd believe it.

That turn was so rushed and poorly done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

shadow puppet of a posted:

If you told me that Bill Mumy pissed someone power off and they wanted to kill every shot of him having a fan club coming out of the show, I'd believe it.

Robot wasn't there to flail his arms and yell DANGER DANGER

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Not really?

Lennier's been resenting Sheridan since like Season 3 - and he even joins the Rangers early in Season 5 in the hopes that Delenn will turn around and love him instead (I think he even literally says 'So I'll be worthy of your eyes' or something like that).

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i understand not liking Wheaton but let's be fair and admit that no actor could have sold the poo poo they wrote for that character during the first season

I guess nobody likes Wesley but I always felt like I related to him when I was watching the show as a kid. I mean I probably wasn't as nerdy because I had a really good Dungeons and Dragons character and a Nintendo but I can't be the only poster in this thread who shared something in common with him.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

RVWinkle posted:

I guess nobody likes Wesley but I always felt like I related to him when I was watching the show as a kid. I mean I probably wasn't as nerdy because I had a really good Dungeons and Dragons character and a Nintendo but I can't be the only poster in this thread who shared something in common with him.

I'm very dumb so I couldn't relate

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I had terrible sweaters, but it was the 90s, so everyone did. Does that count?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I also fell in love with a shape-shifting monster diplomat princess as a kid, so Wesley was very relatable

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
like Wesley, I am also Gene Roddenberry's self-insert Mary Sue character

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Big Mean Jerk posted:

like Wesley, I am also Gene Roddenberry's self-insert Mary Sue character

Wesley didn't bang all the hot extras or force Yeoman Rand out of a job for threatening to go public over sexual harassment

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
didn't wil wheaton used to post on these forums? I'm almost sure that he did.

Wesley come back

edit: I guess it was fark.com, nevermind!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
stupid loving cloud making double posts

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Good thing Rom never introduced Sisko to his other son, Nig

What about Neg, the Ferengi MRA?

Aaronicon posted:

I can't believe the amount of people I've seen in the comments sections across the internet who seem genuinely shocked that you shouldn't leave a car in neutral with the parking brake on.

Wait, if you're idling the engine for any reason, say charging the battery the inefficient but last-ditch way or working on the timing belt etc. then you'd have to have it in neutral with the handbrake on.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Squish posted:

What about Neg, the Ferengi MRA?

or Nug, the pot dealer

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm terrible and never park in gear, because I always forget when I do it and launch my car 5 feet forward when I start it next. I hope I don't Chekov :ohdear:, fortunately I don't park on inclines often

also my car is pretty light and I think I could push it off me

well maybe not up a steep incline.

It all just seems so lovely and random. Imagine just sitting there and realizing that thats how you're going to die.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The kid that played Chekov in the JJ Trek movies just died of being pinned to his mailbox by his idling car.

Someone in this thread was a huge fan if I recall.

So let us all grieve together as we list off which cast members it was that we'd prefer to have died instead.

I'll start with Whil Wheatin.

That was some "Final Destination" poo poo right there. I don't think I could even conceive of someone dying like that if I was paid for a full year to come up with stupid ways to die.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Libertarians advocate their special retard communes where the market decides everything, which would actually turn out like sanctuary districts. People with fedoras beating other people to death for their bread cards.

Not to be confused with conservatives that think that if people aren't doing well that it's because they just don't want it hard enough

Except Sanctuary Districts were places where people waited for government programs to give them jobs and lived off government welfare in the meantime. So in other words, the total opposite of libertarianism. But yeah, those guys in fedoras dumb as hell. How dare you make me defend them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That poor guy's family getting a bat'leth and Federation dress uniform-heavy funeral on top of the prior tragedy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChinaBob posted:

Except Sanctuary Districts were places where people waited for government programs to give them jobs and lived off government welfare in the meantime. So in other words, the total opposite of libertarianism. But yeah, those guys in fedoras dumb as hell. How dare you make me defend them.

I got the impression that the government wasn't in much of a rush to provide services and that people viewed it as a dumping ground to keep poors out of sight.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

It does sorta make sense, if the crew is 99% human, but it does get old.

I do laugh every time they try to give an example from history though, because it always follows the same formula: two historic human examples followed by one alien example.

E.g. "It's like the French uprising against the monarchy in the 1700's, or the civil rights movement of 1960's America, or the Ressican freedom wars of 2275."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if they did only actual historical examples, people would be all "heh guess history ended in the 20th century!" and if they did only future examples people would be all "who's this 'glip-glop' fella the captain just referenced, did i miss something when i got back late from going to the shitter during commercial??"

:lol: check out the massive contribution Star Trek makes to this page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FamousFamousFictional

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Not really?

Lennier's been resenting Sheridan since like Season 3 - and he even joins the Rangers early in Season 5 in the hopes that Delenn will turn around and love him instead (I think he even literally says 'So I'll be worthy of your eyes' or something like that).

It just feels wrong. Like lennier doesn't, shouldn't have that kind of thought process. I believe he'd serve delenn till he died (like he'd move on with his life if she died first), but to actively kill a friend. No, it's weird and doesn't belong. Maybe like a moment of maybe. I dunno, it's just not right for the character.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

That poor guy's family getting a bat'leth and Federation dress uniform-heavy funeral on top of the prior tragedy.

<mailbox full of sympathy cards written in fake Russian accents>

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The General posted:

It just feels wrong. Like lennier doesn't, shouldn't have that kind of thought process. I believe he'd serve delenn till he died (like he'd move on with his life if she died first), but to actively kill a friend. No, it's weird and doesn't belong. Maybe like a moment of maybe. I dunno, it's just not right for the character.

Is it one of those things that might have been a consequence of the 5th season not being certain? Maybe season 4 was going to have more hints of a storyline of Lennier being increasingly troubled about the Sinclair/Delenn relationship but they weren't sure they were getting a season 5 that they dropped them to fit in other stuff. Then when they got their season 5, they needed/wanted to still have that be a plot point to give him future redemption arc.

edit: Had B5 manage to become somethign like a Star Trek-level of franchise, I could have seen them maybe using that as a point of turning Lennier to allow him to grow beyond his character's innocence and servitude and become a more fleshed out main character in a future show.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 20, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The General posted:

He didn't actively try to kill Sheridan.

He just didn't help him.

I think it's a great little scene. Lennier has a tiny moment of weakness - maybe not even fifteen seconds - but it's enough to drat him. He even goes back to try and help Sheridan, but he's already made his way out. It's a very tragic flaw that surfaces for just a tiny amount of time but makes all the difference - it's very fitting to what B5 does with that sort of thing. It's a romantic, melodramatic fall from grace - Lennier, the guy who is the perfect obedient devoted servant, fails once. And it's the one failure that destroys him.

Lennier's whole thing is that he talks about how pure of heart Minbari are and how service has to come from a pure belief (I want to say he basically soapboxes at Marcus about this) - but his service never did. Morden even predicted he'd betray the Rangers. In an earlier season - again, with Marcus, I think - he goes on about how pure and good his love for Delenn is. He was always a bit obsessive and could never accept that she'd never love him like he loved her. He'd be derided as a Nice Guy if B5 came out in recent years.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 20, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The problem is JMS is a goon lord and doesn't see anything wrong with it. Or the weird future Marcus cloning Ivanova and stranding them on a planet to live out happily ever after thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

just watched the episode of tng where picard gets trapped with wesley on a shuttle for 6 hours. Wesley asks some highly impertinent questions of his captain, why dont they bring back the lash?

It would have been better if Picard brought back rum and sodomy first.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
sodomy and the lash, surely

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Synthohol, sodomy, and the agonizer.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The General posted:

The problem is JMS is a goon lord and doesn't see anything wrong with it. Or the weird future Marcus cloning Ivanova and stranding them on a planet to live out happily ever after thing.

Haha, yeah, he's definitely got some weird ideas about 'true love'. I was actually just about to edit my post to mention this - that Marcus story is utterly loving bizarre.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

There's no practical reason to even make manual cars anymore.

Shut up you loving Vulcan.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Copper Vein posted:

Shut up you loving Vulcan.

See, these are the people defending them. Retire the stick already.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

If you drove one you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss their existence.

Edit: remember the episode of DS9 where they had to fly the Defiant without any computer assistance? Didn't that look like fun? That's every day in a stick shift.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dammit, Jim! Are you listening to this green blooded, pointy eared Vulcan?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

didn't wil wheaton used to post on these forums? I'm almost sure that he did.

Wesley come back

edit: I guess it was fark.com, nevermind!

It was fark. He judged a photoshop contest between sa and fark and he picked fark as the winner.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just depends what level of engagement you want from driving and if it's fun to you or not

autos have been better at shifting and more fuel efficient that a human slapping a stick around for a while now

I'll drive a stick until my knees wear out when I'm 80 or whatever but I think driving one without synchros and double clutching my way through traffic every day would get tiring

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

criscodisco posted:

If you drove one you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss their existence.

Edit: remember the episode of DS9 where they had to fly the Defiant without any computer assistance? Didn't that look like fun? That's every day in a stick shift.

I can drive a stick (just in case) but it's not a good thing that they still exist. We might as well still have dial-up modems or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The General posted:

What the gently caress :stare:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I drove an automatic once. It was terrifying.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It was fark. He judged a photoshop contest between sa and fark and he picked fark as the winner.

He's a mod over there nowadays. I'm not sure if it's like deadmau5 being a mod here or if he's actually involved in moderation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stick shifts can be fun when you're learning and driving once in a while but once you do it for any regular period of time it becomes a chore, like painting.