Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

starkebn posted:

both senate.io and belowtheline.com are not going to be up for this election. The ABC website by Antony Green is alright though - http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/electorates/

Doesn't have the ballot format I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

If the Libs have a Primary Vote of 41 and the ALP 37. Who wins? Both primary votes are in the danger zone. Greens preferences bring the ALP to about 46-7%? Which means they need 4% from others to get past 50%.

Note you can't rely on Labor picking up preferences from Greens voters. Case in point my partners mother who last night mentioned how despite being a Liberal voter, is planning to vote Greens as first preference pretty much just due to asylum seeker policy, where both the Coalition and Labor have dropped the ball.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I ended up copying and pasting the candidate list from the AEC website into word and printing it out 4 pages per sheet. Started crossing out all the parties that won't get my preference.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ewe2 posted:

Welcome to the elephant in the politics room since 2001, but speaking historically it's only become more the ALP's problem, the Libs have always been dependent but are much better at pretending they aren't. The press gallery spend so much time avoiding this fact, it's a feature of their buy-in to the political class.

So the Nationals are dying a slow and painful death. With Xenophon and The Greeens looming around looking to pick up seats, it seems to be a more immediate problem for the Liberals since they don't have a reliable bank on preferences. This election is starting to sound more and more like QLD every day.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's not even that the "tradie" in that ad wasn't an actual tradie, but wasn't even some C grade actor and instead they paid some HR company director to fill the role.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/the-fake-tradie-game?utm_term=.chdbqq8lV&bffboz#.xaOoBBOW4

Apparently he is an actor?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

One Nation has Animal Justice Party as their 3rd preference. Is there something about these animals I don't know about?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

So the Nationals are dying a slow and painful death. With Xenophon and The Greeens looming around looking to pick up seats, it seems to be a more immediate problem for the Liberals since they don't have a reliable bank on preferences. This election is starting to sound more and more like QLD every day.
The Liberals can cannibalise the Nationals too, since the agreement not to run against each other only applies if there is a sitting candidate. Antony Green pointed out that the Nationals have lost more seats to the Liberals than to Labor over the past few decades.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Amoeba102 posted:

One Nation has Animal Justice Party as their 3rd preference. Is there something about these animals I don't know about?

Wild uneducated guess that they don't like halal slaughter because it's an unnecessary level of cruelty?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

You're right, thought someone pointed out that he was some company director, but this guy mostly does VO work. Did find at least one interview he's done in regards to his acting career.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

lmao I cannot believe the libs might win and they ran that ad.

I mean the Middle Class would just find it laughable and disgusting. Right?

Right?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus posted:

At times like these I wonder what it must be like to be one of the average Australians who apparently have no conception of what happens in politics or the media beyond a perfunctory appreciation, but that just comes home after work, watches whatever the latest renovation or Kardashian show is on tele, smacks their wife around a bit and then goes off to sleep happy and contented. Must be nice not having so much going through one's head.

your curiosity can be satisfied by reading your mafia posts

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

freebooter posted:

And on the topic of "stick with this mob," I've noticed that over the past few days the ~*~*~The Narrative~*~*~ in the media seems to have settled on "Labor is doing well, but there's not enough dissatisfaction in the populace to vote out a first-term government." Which very much strikes me as the media gallery being hung up on the last election and not properly analysing this one.

I think that's a pretty accurate read of the mood of the electorate, to be honest.

I can't see the next election being this close though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

So a few days ago a greens candidate in Tasmania had men come to his house, yell at his teenage daughter, and destroy campaign material out the front of his house.

Now the greens candidate in Farrer has had his car broken in to and campaign material destroyed.

:toot:
The Greens candidate for Higgins, Jason Ball, who is homosexual has had his posted defaced with anti-same sex graffiti.

loving morons.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the problem with the ad is no fault of the actor in it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

starkebn posted:

the problem with the ad is no fault of the actor in it

I didn't think the acting was great either.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I didn't think the acting was great either.

He sounded pretty awkward but probably hard not to given those lines.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

On the plus side, these popped up around my place yesterday sometime, and are fantastic:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

I was curious and checked out the AJPs website, but all their policies are dedicated to the animal justice focus. I could hazard a guess that they are both aligned on keeping Australia's population growth down. I doubt One Nation is pro-vegan though.

The Animal Justice Party may also be the only party with a dedicated wombat policy.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Newspoll has Joyce 51-49 ahead of Windsor, which is disappointing but doesn't surprise me :( There's a regional debate on tuesday in Tamworth, maybe that'll help swing it back to Windsor, who knows.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

I was curious and checked out the AJPs website, but all their policies are dedicated to the animal justice focus. I could hazard a guess that they are both aligned on keeping Australia's population growth down. I doubt One Nation is pro-vegan though.

The Animal Justice Party may also be the only party with a dedicated wombat policy.

Sold!

And my original post was a joke about how all the right wingers preference other right wingers with innocuous sounding names to the unfamiliar. I'm pretty sure it's just "Yeah, animals are cool and good".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Sold!

And my original post was a joke about how all the right wingers preference other right wingers with innocuous sounding names to the unfamiliar. I'm pretty sure it's just "Yeah, animals are cool and good".

Someone asked about this on a friend's Facebook wall, and it was pointed out that the AJP get decent ranked preferences from Labor and the Greens but not from the Coalition or the Lib Dems.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I should have said:

Mob justice parties are preferencing the animal justice party.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

In Victoria, One Nation's third preference is the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers.

DNQ
Sep 7, 2004

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out, come and keep your comrade warm!
http://youtu.be/pKTq8WEc1oo

"Labor even plans to make homosexuality legal! That's a floodgate the Nationals will never open"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Trapezium Dave posted:

In Victoria, One Nation's third preference is the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers.

QLD preferences are a bit more classic One Nation

ON
ALA
RUA
Shooters
FF
KA

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I suspect someone at NSW One Nation confused Derryn Hinch with Animal from the Muppets.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

This is the final straw with One Nation. Supporting a party that wants to phase out pet ownership is pretty unstralian :australia:
Ms Hanson, you will not be getting a number 1 from me anymore.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Actually, surprise surprise, Buzzfeed got it wrong as well: https://twitter.com/MedinaVoice/status/744710478362902528

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Just letting you know that I have seen a couple these being shared on FB in the wild a couple of times now.

Keep up the good work!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Doesn't the ad have his name init at the end?

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Supposedly he isn't an actor but an actual tradie.

I don't believe.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Even if he is an actual tradie he's still an actor.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Tradiegate

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Go to prepoll

NXT hipster arguing with greens volunteer over who the real progressives are

GLT ALA and LNP guys. In the corner talking about football

Australian cyclists party balancing on as bike and handing out htvs

A circus

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Anidav posted:

Australian cyclists party balancing on as bike and handing out htvs

I know who I am voting for

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

in these troubled times, have a feel good video from history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVy0_DLsPM

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Liberals can cannibalise the Nationals too, since the agreement not to run against each other only applies if there is a sitting candidate. Antony Green pointed out that the Nationals have lost more seats to the Liberals than to Labor over the past few decades.

Rove was on Justin Hamilton's podcast recently and said an interesting thing: that in entertainment, everything is niche, and it's pointless to chase a broad audience while not giving the more targeted ideas a fair go, you can't win and you're wasting the same money you aren't putting into them.

And in politics, a similar thing is happening in the so-called homogeneous democratic states of US/UK/Australia: they played divide and conquer a bit too successfully. Now the broad appeal of the majors is waning as people drill down to who is going to represent their specific interest, and the majors are flailing about trying to corral voters and failing in the same way as network programming executives. They're increasingly straddling a widening chasm of interests and they will fall into the abyss unless they learn to compromise and work more in coalition.

The result for the Libs is a corner they're fast sharing with the US Republicans. To steal National seats, they are firmly in bed with the looney right-wing Christians, which explains the rising importance of Family First preferences, and we're already seeing the factional results. The ALP cannot have its cake and eat it, and the longer it maintains the rage against the Greens the longer it will stay out of government.

None of this is news to European democracies who've been grappling with these issues for a century but we aren't learning from them, possibly because we still in denial about government's role and leaving core social and economic infrastructure to the 1% who are simply taking everything and running away. That we also have a serious idiot libertarian fringe means these issues will drag on unnecessarily, at least until the economic fashion changes overseas, and the sooner we ape that, the better.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

Actually, surprise surprise, Buzzfeed got it wrong as well: https://twitter.com/MedinaVoice/status/744710478362902528

Is this what the media has evolved into? Tracking down the people involved in the latest thing to trend on social media? A decade ago that advert would pass on by as if it never existed. But today, knowing the identity of a no-name actor starring in a dull political advert is apparently a hot topic.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The NXT guy was a dick.

Said no to his htv card and he went ona small rant about voting for real change

Who trains these monkeys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

No one trains them, you'd be lucky if they even have a police check before being let loose on the unsuspecting Anidav's of the world.

• Locked thread