Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Acne Rain posted:

Why didn't "you can turn into the red form and stand next to the devil boss pattern hacking away without getting hit" come up in testing

This is what the final boss fights looked like a little over one year ago if the video's info is to be believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

Why didn't "you can turn into the red form and stand next to the devil boss pattern hacking away without getting hit" come up in testing

I think they intended for that to happen. They thought that was a good idea.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Yeah, trying to dodge that stuff doesn't look fun, but at the same time it is hilarious that those projectiles are all voided by the sword power completely chumping that boss.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, that looks really bad.

why does every part of this game look so cheap, visually speaking I mean? What did they spend their money on?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

why does every part of this game look so cheap, visually speaking I mean? What did they spend their money on?

gotta get those fancy leaderboards set up, they don't come cheap these days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I think it's just straight-up bad art direction on Comcept's part. You can't even blame Inti Creates because Bloodstained looks way fuckin' better

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Just give me my Steam code, please. C'mon now, Inafune, we've had enough delays and some of us just want to see and install it now.

Tuesday's the day, right

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Making the game remotely functional on at least 4 systems

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I am kind of shocked at how unfinished this game looks. Jim Sterling is on the water level and it's a muddy mess. All of the effects look terrible, look at the smoke coming off the city in the background of the first level - it's a cut and paste smoke effect! The graphical style reminds me of Bionic Commando: Re-armed, except that game looked way better and was on last-gen hardware and came out almost a decade ago.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

Just give me my Steam code, please. C'mon now, Inafune, we've had enough delays and some of us just want to see and install it now.

Tuesday's the day, right

At this point I'm half tempted to post my key code on here when I finally get it.

I regret ever tossing :20bux: to this project.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's just straight-up bad art direction on Comcept's part. You can't even blame Inti Creates because Bloodstained looks way fuckin' better

You'd think after 2 decades people would have more experience at making good explosions.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

xezton posted:

At this point I'm half tempted to post my key code on here when I finally get it.

I regret ever tossing :20bux: to this project.

Do not give in to anger. Just try to finish the game once before shuffling it off into your bad games Steam category. Mine shame folder is named "Well that's completely boring" and definitely features games some people found lots of fun.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, worst-case scenario, you spent $20 on a bad game that someone else probably did find fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just want to know if you could disable voices. I'm incapable of playing any MM game with voice acting.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The pizza explosions still make me lol every time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I am looking forward to the inevitable fan project that makes a good version of MN9.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I am looking forward to the inevitable fan project that makes a good version of MN9.

Like a Final Fantasy balance mod?

lmao

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just want to know if you could disable voices. I'm incapable of playing any MM game with voice acting.

Adunno I thought the PSP remakes were fine.

I'm still perplexed that they couldn't even make the characters mouths move with all the drat money they had. On PS2 it was baffling and inexcusable. Here it's downright pathetic.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 20, 2016

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

lol.

EDIT:

I kinda want to buy this off steam just to study how bad it really is but... 20€ is a lot more than what I'm willing to pay for what I just saw.

How long is this final boss? Why is it this long?

EDIT 2:

Hahahaha, look at those human models.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 20, 2016

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/BlazeHenry1/status/744638457331474432

https://twitter.com/badchenson/status/744679265279442944

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

IGN gave the game a 5.6 and Destructoid a 6.5. It isn't a trainwreck but it looks to be boringly mediocre like we all suspected.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I am of the mind that this exact same game would be better received if Inafune hadn't pulled a lot of the poo poo he did over the past year and a half.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I am of the mind that this exact same game would be better received if Inafune hadn't pulled a lot of the poo poo he did over the past year and a half.

It would probably be received better if it came out on time. The past two years have made Mighty No. 9 look dated extremely quickly.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It would probably be received better if it came out on time. The past two years have made Mighty No. 9 look dated extremely quickly.

Has there been a point in time when this game didn't look outdated? Beyond some mysterious kickstarter footage that is.

EDIT:

I haven't really been following the developement, other than the points when people made noise about a delay and then the pizza explosions.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 20, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gortarius posted:

Has there been a point in time when this game didn't look outdated? Beyond some mysterious kickstarter footage that is.
At some point in time, from footage some years ago, the game actually looked better than it does now. Not going to bother digging up those screens though.

It's as if some director came in and decided to change the art style and ended up making it more awful.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The trick is that that was never actually in-game footage. It was just mock-up concept art. Apparently they decided that going with models instead of 2D was going to be a great idea.

The problem is it looks like they made all the assets for the 3DS version, and then scaled them all up and declared it fine.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If they hadn't made the game for every console under the sun, maybe we'd have something truly good, but I bet all that money went to porting this game to everything. Who the hell is buying the Xbox 360 version of this game?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
When I get my download code, I honestly don't even feel like bothering to play this.

Again, I'm glad I only threw $20 at this...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

The trick is that that was never actually in-game footage. It was just mock-up concept art. Apparently they decided that going with models instead of 2D was going to be a great idea.

The problem is it looks like they made all the assets for the 3DS version, and then scaled them all up and declared it fine.

There actually was in-game footage where explosions didn't look like pizza afaik

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

What truly perplexes me is like...ok in the past with modern MegaMan games the budget may have been an issue. But with MN9 it's not, so why do they still struggle to churn out a really great looking MegaMan/Mega-esque game with hand drawn graphics? Shantae is doing it. The Ducktales remake did it. Indivisible is doing it. Guilty Gear's been doing it for years. Battle Chef Brigade, CupHead....hell look at this gorgeous looking remake of Wonder Boy. All these games stand out for the better because of it too, instead of getting lost in the sea of 2D platformers/action titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKf66tVoFw

Now imagine if that was polygonal. Snore.
And that all being said...yeah, I'm glad IGN slammed the graphical style too.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 20, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

LemonLimeTime posted:

What truly perplexes me is like...ok in the past with modern MegaMan games the budget may have been an issue. But with MN9 it's not, so why do they still struggle to churn out a really great looking MegaMan/Mega-esque game with hand drawn graphics? Shantae is doing it. The Ducktales remake did it. Indivisible is doing it. Guilty Gear's been doing it for years. Battle Chef Brigade, CupHead....hell look at this gorgeous looking remake of Wonder Boy. All these games stand out for the better because of it too, instead of getting lost in the sea of 2D platformers/action titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKf66tVoFw

Now imagine if that was polygonal. Snore.

Huh? Did Sega lose the right to Wonder Boy or something? I don't see Sega listed here at all.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

IGN gave the game a 5.6 and Destructoid a 6.5. It isn't a trainwreck but it looks to be boringly mediocre like we all suspected.

That still counts as not being a good game though.

WELP SO MUCH FOR THAT SEQUEL/TV SERIES/MOVIE/TOY LINE/SODA FLAVORS

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

LemonLimeTime posted:

There's two aspect to that answer. The first one is very simply that from the beginning, the MN9 kickstarter page said:

Comcept posted:

the plan is to use what is often called the “2.5D” setup: 3D models for characters and most objects, with the gameplay in 2D.

This is what was pitched and funded. You may as well ask why the latest King of Fighters isn't a dating sim. It just never was part of the plan. Of course people don't look at the plan too closely and even Bloodstained, with its concept art plastered in "not the actual game" warnings, gets the "why isn't it 2d" question.

The second aspect is simply that currently in the games industry all the middleware and most talents are geared towards 3d. 2d is specialized knowledge and needs specialized software. Shantae and Ducktales are by Wayforward, and Indivisible is by Lab Zero, both companies that specialize in 2D and have engines tailored to their specific needs. And they didn't develop those engines on kickstarter money, they both had them before turning to crowdfunding. MN9 was starting from scratch and had to make choices that would minimize or even get rid of a costly R&D phase and where it'd be easy to get devs, and back then going with 3D and UE was the sensible option.

The current underwhelming result has tons less to do with tech choices than it has with poor art direction.

Chev fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 20, 2016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The most bizarre artistic design choice still seems to be (now that we can see the set in stone results) how vital Inafune seemed to believe voice acting would be, to the point that second mini-crowd funding campaign was mainly to acquire funds to use for voice acting. And even then it was originally just going to be English voice acting, which out of the three languages the game has seems to be the least well received.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I think it would probably be better recieved but it still would be getting backlash. Not just because of the visuals but because the gameplay is a very specific thing and does seem to have some actual design problems in addition to that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

For most of the Mega Man sub-franchises it seemed like Capcom laid the groundwork in a fun but mediocre game to kick things off and then refined it through sequel iterations (notable exceptions: X and Legends). I wonder if Inafune and his crew figured they could do the same kind of thing here, since it's been obvious from the start how hard they want to franchise MN9.

Of course, that approach just doesn't work at all when you alienate your fan base over years of delays and incomprehensible design choices.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

After watching about an hour of Mighty No 9 footage I have to ask

Where did the 4 million go?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Porting to every console under the sun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Porting to every console under the sun.

Even that really doesn't explain it as other developers have managed to do that on much slimmer budgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpAtom posted:

Even that really doesn't explain it as other developers have managed to do that on much slimmer budgets.

What other developers have released the same game on PS3, PS4, PS Vita, 360, XB1, Wii U, and 3DS all at the same time at launch? That is 7 systems with VERY different infrastructures around which each version has to be specifically built, and that's not including troubleshooting and debugging the game and network codes for each system.

It was an incredibly stupid idea.

e: And hell, we're still not getting the portable ones yet, are we?