Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Assuming it uses the same animations as the yellow one, when you fly your character swaps the greens on a stick for a cake on a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Nuebot posted:

So Final Fantasy XIV has a new campaign where you can buy 20 dollars of video game poo poo (or pre-order a video game and then cancel the order) and you get a bunch of items. A butler suit, a maid outfit, some masks that look like bosses. And, importantly, the fat chocobo mount.

Holy poo poo look at this big bastard. You motivate it to run with cabbage on a string, every step he gasps for breath and tries to bite at the vegitable, when he jumps his stubby little legs flail about and his tiny wings flap uselessly and his whole body just jiggles forever. It is the best mount in the game and I will never not laugh at it. Also it wears a tiny pope hat! It's the fat chocopope!

Also in FFXIV, every mount has their own theme when you ride them.

This is the Fat Chocobo's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKXRBK14GU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RaspberryCommie posted:

Since I play with my music muted due to the constant start and stop of the battle theme driving me nuts, I never knew this. This changes everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The best is when some big dramatic story moment has happened and you're riding to war, and that bouncy silly music starts.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Oh wow, I haven't heard this song in years. Did it get used in any other games since FFIV (except for this, obviously)?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I really love the mounts in FF14, and the theme music rocks, and it's really pretty.

But I thought I had a high tolerance for JRPG poo poo, and I rage quit the main story line twice while doing poo poo for the Slyphs.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Johnny Aztec posted:

But I thought I had a high tolerance for JRPG poo poo, and I rage quit the main story line twice while doing poo poo for the Sylphs.

gently caress sylphs, gently caress moogles

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Johnny Aztec posted:

I really love the mounts in FF14, and the theme music rocks, and it's really pretty.

But I thought I had a high tolerance for JRPG poo poo, and I rage quit the main story line twice while doing poo poo for the Slyphs.

The sylphs were some hard poo poo to get through, the game seems to flip spastically between taking its self seriously and being super goofy.

Here's another little moment I really liked and probably shouldn't have;
You see, the entire like first quarter of the story line has you running across the globe back to one specific point you can't even warp to so you spend like hours of play time just running back to this one lovely little hovel to talk to these stupid assholes and I hate it. Then the villain walks in and shoots them all in a cutscene. I'm glad they're all dead and that I never have to go back.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Not putting the warp right outside the waking sands is such a bizzare choice I can't even fathom it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't feel the urge to ever play it again, but I do appreciate how in the addon to Persona 3 FES The Answer your party members get different end of battle animations from the standard game. Just shows a little extra effort.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mars: War Logs is a no-budget action-rpg but it gives you the option to skip the zillion incedental animations of your character opening doors and climbing over obstacles which puts it ahead of 90% of actual big-budget action-rpgs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They actually made an in story excuse for the lack of fast travel to your base of operations in FF14 that the characters then use as one of their major reasons to change locations. It's very silly.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

That's nothing. When you're in a zone that lets your mount fly, you can switch to cake on a stick to let the magic happen! (The yellow one is a different version of the mount that was available earlier as part of a CE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYqgaNoFSR0

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They actually made an in story excuse for the lack of fast travel to your base of operations in FF14 that the characters then use as one of their major reasons to change locations. It's very silly.

The fact there is an in game reason makes it even worse. It shows that they were aware it was a tedious slog and ran with it anyways.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So, I just got Doom and holy poo poo this game is filled with little things.

One of the collectibles you find in the game are little action figures that look like Doomguy with different color schemes. With the one that looks like the current 'guy, he'll give it a little fistbumb.

If you die in lava, you'll catch fire normally as you fall over. What's unique is that as you sink into the lava, he'll Terminator it and throw a thumbs-up as his hand sinks in.

And finally, holy gently caress, Glory Kills. I snapped a dude's leg off then made him curb stomp his own skull in. Rip and tear, indeed. I haven't grinned like a dumb idiot at a videogame-rear end videogame like this in forever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Leal posted:

The fact there is an in game reason makes it even worse. It shows that they were aware it was a tedious slog and ran with it anyways.

Eh, more that they didn't really recognize it until later, more than deliberate intent from the start.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Doom is loving incredible at making references to the old games without being pandering as poo poo (except for obviously funny stuff like the toys and the classic levels).

There's the room patterned after Doom 2's Dead Simple in the Necropolis level, which also has an eviscerated Baron of Hell right by the blue skull just like the wall texture in the old games. Its starting room plus the flow of the level also hearkens back to Doom 2's Tricks and Traps.

The Tower of Babel classic level, where you fight the Cyberdemon in Doom 1, is found in the level where you go one-on-one with the modern Cyberdemon.

The first third of the game ends with Doomguy getting sucked back into Hell in the middle of an intense firefight, which is similar to the ending of Doom 1's first episode where Doomguy is ambushed after taking a teleporter, dies, and wakes up in Hell.

The BFG works in reverse this time around: the projectile moves forward while shooting lightning death at enemies before slamming into a thing and exploding, while the old one was the projectile exploding against a thing first and then shooting invisible death rays at enemies.

I'm sure you could write a paper on old music and sound effects that were remixed/remastered for Doom 2016; surprisingly, one of my favorites was Doom 3's theme song popping up as baller-as-gently caress combat theme.

These are just off the top of my head, but as far as I'm concerned, iD has risen from the ashes to reclaim its demonic throne

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

There's the room patterned after Doom 2's Dead Simple in the Necropolis level
I thought the whole game was patterned after Dead Simple!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only thing DOOM was missing was a fluffy rabbit named Daisy to die as motivation for your rampage.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

RaspberryCommie posted:

This music is so "big and fat" and it reminds me of something I can't quite place. Maybe Fantasia.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Gorilla Salad posted:

This music is so "big and fat" and it reminds me of something I can't quite place. Maybe Fantasia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0aIqx1McVI

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I knew what that was going to be and clicked anyway. :allears:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's an arrangement of the Fat Chocobo theme from Final Fantasy IV, as was mentioned before.

It might also remind you of this piece, which is popular for YouTube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbdutn8Q1T0

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Holy poo poo, this is probably old news but I've been swamped with work all week and haven't had any gaming time - the weekly brawl in Overwatch is just a big dig at the CoD series and it's awesome.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I the reminds me a lot of the music in Day of the Tentacle, in particular the music that plays just after the intro.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

Holy poo poo, this is probably old news but I've been swamped with work all week and haven't had any gaming time - the weekly brawl in Overwatch is just a big dig at the CoD series and it's awesome.

Which one, "were all soldiers now"? It's just a pun on one of soldier 76s quotes.

Soldier 76 is definately an attempt to pander to cod players, but I think it's done in earnest, since he's a good character in his own right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RagnarokAngel posted:

Which one, "were all soldiers now"? It's just a pun on one of soldier 76s quotes.

Soldier 76 is definately an attempt to pander to cod players, but I think it's done in earnest, since he's a good character in his own right.

Actually Soldier 76 is apparently Chris "Thrall" Metzen's failed edgy-cool comicbook character creation from the 90's.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually Soldier 76 is apparently Chris "Thrall" Metzen's failed edgy-cool comicbook character creation from the 90's.

I meant more in playstyle than appearance. Among all these weird gimmick characters dude gets an assault rifle, underslung rockets, a med pack and he can run really fast.

It's basic but works in its own right. Also his special is auto aim :v:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In a weird way Soldier 76 is one of my favorite characters in gaming recently simply because all aspects of him come together really well, he's an old-school soldier and everything ties into that in a cool way. He represents traditional old-school FPS games in a world with an increasing amount of gimmicks (even the upcoming CoD has space battles in it) and in-game he's also just an old dude with a gun, a visor and the ability to run fast in a cast of complete weirdos doing all kinds of zany stuff.

It also extends to the actual gameplay as concept-wise he's the experienced and reliable grunt you'd depend on to always do his job, which perfectly represents his in-game role of having basic skills that cover almost every situation while also giving newcomers a toolset they can easily work and feel familiar with. He's the guy you pick when you don't have a specific niche to fill in your team and just want someone who is guaranteed to be able to contribute regardless of the situation.

Even lore-wise he's the guy who used to be a central part of the team but has recently become a lone wolf, and with his heal he's likewise great at helping his team while at the same time being the most self-sufficient character in the roster who doesn't have to rely on others to keep him alive.

Just a cool character all around.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
No he's an out of touch dad to a tiny gremlin named D.Va.

I love what the community has done to the characters. It's so dumb and fantastic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

No he's an out of touch dad to a tiny gremlin named D.Va.

I love what the community has done to the characters. It's so dumb and fantastic.

original
And for those who don't play Overwatch, Biotic Field is one of his abilities in which he throws down an area of effect heal.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The community has turned D.Va into a Dorito-inhaling, Dew-guzzling Yotsuba adopted by Soldier:76. It's fantastic.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Ryoshi was talking about the weekly brawl game mode. Each week it's got a new set of rules that changes the game totally.

Last week it was that you spawned with a random hero every time you died. This week? Everyone is Soldier 76 and has lower health than normal. Bullets and rockets everywhere.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robo Pope posted:

Ryoshi was talking about the weekly brawl game mode. Each week it's got a new set of rules that changes the game totally.

Last week it was that you spawned with a random hero every time you died. This week? Everyone is Soldier 76 and has lower health than normal. Bullets and rockets everywhere.
That reminds me of the same system that Quake Live (rip) had where they'd put up matches each weekend with a bunch of weird mutators. The best one was probably the April Fools joke it spawned from, where they introduced a new game mode that made all the projectile weapons push and the hitscan weapons pull your opponents scaled off the weapons damage. The servers ran only space maps, which took place on floating platforms over an instadeath void. Pretty much every match ended with everyone's score in the negatives.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

I meant more in playstyle than appearance. Among all these weird gimmick characters dude gets an assault rifle, underslung rockets, a med pack and he can run really fast.

It's basic but works in its own right. Also his special is auto aim :v:

Since he's the only one without a gimmick weapon of some kind, doesn't that make him the gimmick character though?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In overwatch you can make your character say "Hello" and wave

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Digirat posted:

In overwatch you can make your character say "Hello" and wave

Junkrat has two different waves, one normal, one when his left hand is holding his remote detonator. Game's loving polished.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Robo Pope posted:

Not only that but all the cool downs are increased so you can't use your cool poo poo as often, and while I haven't been able to confirm this it seems like the game mode plays voice clips more often than normal so S76's hilarious testosterone-growl is coming from everyone all the time. The title of the mode is one of those voice lines, but between that and the rule set I think it's safe to call it a dig at CoD and it's "everyone has a soldier in them" advertising tagline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Adequate posted:

Junkrat has two different waves, one normal, one when his left hand is holding his remote detonator. Game's loving polished.

Bastion waves its left hand when in Recon Mode. In Siege Mode, it extends its welder arm and waves that instead.