Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ciaphas posted:

jesus tittyfucking christ coming out of warp is loving fear factor 11 in VR :cry:

Unless they have used VR, someone can't possibly understand just you you get absolutely no sense of scale on a monitor. In VR however things are really, really different psychologically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dabir posted:

The thin, solid bar runs your systems, and when it empties it refills from your main tank. The main tank also powers the FSD.

Oh good god. I noticed the thin solid bar and that it was almost empty. I thought then that it was my system fuel and the large bar was my jump drive fuel. The station was still... Really far away. So I said gently caress it and FSD'd out to a different system.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I had a good time playing the game tonight. Explored and scanned some stuff, checked out some signal sources, salvaged some data for a mission. Then i went to the station i where was supposed to turn in the data, and I couldn't finish the mission because there's no mission board, because the controlling faction is in lockdown.

:frontear:

Ciaphas posted:

jesus tittyfucking christ coming out of warp is loving fear factor 11 in VR :cry:

Dropping out of warp on a normal monitor was an anus-puckering experience when i first started playing (still is a bit unnerving at times), so i can only imagine what it's like in VR.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So grab the junk before I go to sell the data, good to know.
Also when you do donate the relics to unlock her, quit to the main menu and log back in to refresh her interaction screen so that you can actually sell the exploration data.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

So grab the junk before I go to sell the data, good to know. The FSD upgrades are what I am most interested in, but I would also like to slap some thruster and perhaps a weapon mod or two for SnG. With the boosted FSD, I'll still be able to go farther than now...assuming the RNG doesn't gently caress me over.

The good thing is, Elvira Martuuk already has thruster-access (up to level 3), so you don't have to go to another engineer if you don't want to. Alternatively, Elvira unlocks Marco Quent (Power Plants 4, distributors 3), who in turn unlocks Professor Palin. Palin is another engineer who wants lots of exploration data and he has level 5 thrusters. For weapon-oriented engineers, check out Inara. From memory, The Dweller is for lasers, Tod the Blaster is for uh guns and Liz Ryder missiles and level 1 armor. All three are public, but some of them need combat (bounty vouchers and stuff) to gain reputation with, so be prepared for fighting or lots of crafting. The Dweller is the easiest: He just takes money to unlock and you gain rep by selling commodities on his base.

radintorov posted:

Also when you do donate the relics to unlock her, quit to the main menu and log back in to refresh her interaction screen so that you can actually sell the exploration data.

Also this. I was rather confused when I showed up at Elvira's and there wasn't an option to sell my data. It's quite impressive how many problems you can solve by re-logging in this game!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Seeking recommendations for FdL loadouts. I just bought one for combat missions as pythons don't really cut it in 2.1. I tried C4 beam with 4x C2 multicannons, but it didn't seem to put out enough oomph to take down the elite Corvettes that sit at the end of assassination missions now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aethernet posted:

Seeking recommendations for FdL loadouts. I just bought one for combat missions as pythons don't really cut it in 2.1. I tried C4 beam with 4x C2 multicannons, but it didn't seem to put out enough oomph to take down the elite Corvettes that sit at the end of assassination missions now.

That's more of a highly specific requirement than a general purpose loadout.

Go all out and fit nothing but fixed space shotguns, hull reinforcements and military plating with A shields. Get to point blank, stay out of the front fire arc and just hold down the fire button. Shoot the power plant if you can. Obviously keep 4 pips to shields, 1 to engines, 1 to weapons.

This build will utterly suck if you're RES farming because you'll run out of ammo pretty fast.

Oh - comedy option: imperial clipper with maximum hull reinforcements & military hull. Ram them to death because you have over 2k hull points and the same mass as a corvette. Use 4 gimballed cannons/frags, anything that uses bugger all energy because you want that in shields/engines.

Don't skimp on life support because odds are pretty fair you'll be flying back with a cracked/shattered canopy.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 19, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Ciaphas posted:

I am looking forward to experiencing a canopy blowout in VR, and so should you.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

All I can say is, holy poo poo.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

ShadowMoo posted:

All I can say is, holy poo poo.

I hope that station offers repair :v:

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
That's the last time I let my fuel get so low I can't high wake out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aethernet posted:

C4 beam, missiles everywhere else, blow their drives if you can get behind them and their guns if you can't.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Is there an easy way to target subsystems in combat other than the side menu?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's bindable keys for next and previous subsystem. I recommend previous as your default because you can consistently get to the juicy subsystems faster that way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ShadowMoo posted:

Bind a key for it and cycle through them?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

HI IT'S ME YOUR OLD FRIEND THE SUN

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Default keybind for cycling through subsystems is 'y'

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why can't we just shove passengers in the hold with the slave-ahhhh I mean happy friends! Slaves? No slaves here!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
That starving look? They just gave up food and all luxuries for lent. They're perfectly fine.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ShadowMoo posted:

I have it bound to my mouse wheel so i don't have to take my fingers off of the flight or weapon controls while switching targets, and don't have to look at the side menu.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Rah! posted:

I have it bound to my mouse wheel so i don't have to take my fingers off of the flight or weapon controls while switching targets, and don't have to look at the side menu.

That is actually a good idea. Havn't had to do it much yet because I am still mostly harmless and the NPCs that interdict me usually just sit there while I shoot them.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Next / prev. subsystem goes well on the throttle silver pinky wheel if you have an X55.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StarkRavingMad posted:

HI IT'S ME YOUR OLD FRIEND THE SUN

It's somehow worse when it's like a tiny white dwarf or something, because in addition to still being loving huge (if distant) you know it's going to cook you alive any second now :cry:

Still finding I don't really know what to do with myself and my time in this game, though. :(

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

It's somehow worse when it's like a tiny white dwarf or something, because in addition to still being loving huge (if distant) you know it's going to cook you alive any second now :cry:

Still finding I don't really know what to do with myself and my time in this game, though. :(

Regular stars, I've come to terms with. The outliers still freak me out.

White dwarfs just look wrong. Instead of a big and warm star, it's just a tiny ball of cold-coloured death, contradicted by an oversized exclusion zone of heat death. Giants give that sharp deceleration that makes it feel you're about to be catapulted out through the canopy. And then there are the neutron stars, where you arrive and there's nothing. At least with black holes, there's usually some decent lensing going on, but neutrons have a nasty tendency of not being as apparent and also just hiding against the background. Brrrr…

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess last time I played this I bought a Diamondback Scout and fitted it for combat, to the point of even stripping the cargo bays. So I guess I should find something to shoot.

Uh, how do I find RESes again / other things to shoot? I'm in Tao Ti if that makes any difference.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Tippis posted:

Regular stars, I've come to terms with. The outliers still freak me out.

White dwarfs just look wrong. Instead of a big and warm star, it's just a tiny ball of cold-coloured death, contradicted by an oversized exclusion zone of heat death. Giants give that sharp deceleration that makes it feel you're about to be catapulted out through the canopy. And then there are the neutron stars, where you arrive and there's nothing. At least with black holes, there's usually some decent lensing going on, but neutrons have a nasty tendency of not being as apparent and also just hiding against the background. Brrrr…

Stellar remnants of any kind freak me out.

Neutron stars are the worst, just a little pinprick, a yellow circle on the HUD and me frantically pulling up.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Once in a system, is there a way to see what a station sells and which missions it has without docking? It's a drag to dock all the drat time. (Without Using that website)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Once in a system, is there a way to see what a station sells and which missions it has without docking? It's a drag to dock all the drat time. (Without Using that website)

Nope! You can get a general idea of the market by looking at economy information on the system map, but it's imprecise and unreliable.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

You can be completely safe when entering a new system by setting your throttle to zero while in witchspace. That way you just come to a complete stop as soon as you arrive and can orient your self at your leisure.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bargearse posted:

Stellar remnants of any kind freak me out.

Neutron stars are the worst, just a little pinprick, a yellow circle on the HUD and me frantically pulling up.

Just set your throttle to zero during the FSD countdown. Most stars will take several hours for you to hit the exclusion zone, neutron stars take more than half an hour, and even black holes have three or four minutes to react if the throttle is at zero.

Even still, worst case is you lose a few percentage off of your hull and systems. It really isn't a big deal unless you make a habit of it or are already otherwise in danger!

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm scrounging up some painite for Selene and I forgot how strangely satisfying mining is. With all the right equipment it's just engaging enough to be mindlessly cathartic without getting boring. Go shoot lasers at some rocks and chill.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Just set your throttle to zero during the FSD countdown. Most stars will take several hours for you to hit the exclusion zone, neutron stars take more than half an hour, and even black holes have three or four minutes to react if the throttle is at zero.

Even still, worst case is you lose a few percentage off of your hull and systems. It really isn't a big deal unless you make a habit of it or are already otherwise in danger!

What? It can be a matter of seconds from entering a system to emergency drop if you forget to throttle down or turn away from the destination star.

Edit: oh unless you mean that's how long it takes at throttle zero in supercruise?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't neutron stars eat your canopy or something?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Today I learned that SYS pips increase shield resistance in addition to increasing how quickly they recharge and return after being knocked out

There is so much this game doesn't tell you, that is my #2 pet peeve (#1 being of course the old inch deep thing)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ciaphas posted:

Today I learned that SYS pips increase shield resistance in addition to increasing how quickly they recharge and return after being knocked out

There is so much this game doesn't tell you, that is my #2 pet peeve (#1 being of course the old inch deep thing)

I thought the recharge was the same so long as there was at least one pip in systems? But yeah, that resistance thing is very important.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well then gently caress I'm just wrong twice over aren't I?!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shield recharge is fixed at 1 MJ/s, unless your SYS capacitor is empty and refilling at less than that, in which case they'll recharge as fast as they can. Bi-weaves are much faster, 1.8 MJ/s. More pips in SYS only affects damage resistance and the refill rate of the capacitor, not of the shield.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In today's lesson I learned that one dumbfire launcher is no longer enough to take out a base with a point defence turret. Just couldn't land a hit. :v: :suicide:

It's ok, just another reason to go back to my 4 dumbfire cobra. So silver lining.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Kramjacks posted:

You can be completely safe when entering a new system by setting your throttle to zero while in witchspace. That way you just come to a complete stop as soon as you arrive and can orient your self at your leisure.

…at least for certain values of “completely safe”. There's always the lurking danger of (very) close binaries. :D

It's not so much the actual danger as the sense of arrival. Neutron stars are just freaky to arrive at because it's as if there's nothing there. :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

DancingShade posted:

In today's lesson I learned that one dumbfire launcher is no longer enough to take out a base with a point defence turret. Just couldn't land a hit. :v: :suicide:

It's ok, just another reason to go back to my 4 dumbfire cobra. So silver lining.

I couldn't get into the swing of dumbfiring at a gen mission, I prefer using the space jeep and running the gently caress away if it is a high sec settlement. Can't imagine doing a high sec settlement bigger than rank 1 though.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 20, 2016

• Locked thread