Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
If anyone is looking for a meat grinder, http://smokehousechef.com has developed a Stainless Steel grinder attachment for kitchenaid stand mixers. The other metal one on the market (Chef's Choice) is aluminum and can't be put in a dishwasher, this one can. So it can be easily sterilized. It came yesterday, feels incredibly solid, the body of it is about 12 ga stainless steel all around. Like, dispose of a corpse solid. If you want to make big meat into small meat without effort or like getting fat and super unattractive this thing is probably exactly what you need.

They also sell replacement parts for the KA grinder, sausage casings of all many types and sizes, and some seasonings, but unfortunately not the basic curing salts, as far as I can find.

Also I made a mistake with my order and their customer service is possibly the best I've ever seen, so if you need a thing these guys sell, buy it from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You could probably build a successful mall food court chain based on that name alone

Already a thing in DC, sort of - Shawafel.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

YMMV but the Homegoods near me has the Blendtec Classic 570 for only $150.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

FireTora posted:

YMMV but the Homegoods near me has the Blendtec Classic 570 for only $150.

Wow, I wish I had one of those stores nearby. I'm currently shopping for a blender and the 575's $420 list price is way out of my budget. Is the Breville Hemisphere Control still considered a good blender? I'm eyeing it on sale at amazon.ca for ~$153 USD.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

rgocs posted:

Wow, I wish I had one of those stores nearby. I'm currently shopping for a blender and the 575's $420 list price is way out of my budget. Is the Breville Hemisphere Control still considered a good blender? I'm eyeing it on sale at amazon.ca for ~$153 USD.

You can get a refurbished Blendtec Total Blender off ebay right now for $175 with their memorial day coupon code. Not sure about the Breville, their other products are well regarded though.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

rgocs posted:

Is the Breville Hemisphere Control still considered a good blender? I'm eyeing it on sale at amazon.ca for ~$153 USD.

I've had one for a few years and I think it's a good value. I use it nearly every day, frequently multiple times a day and haven't found a job it can't do. It seems to be the only model bridging the gap between "complete poo poo" and "professional unit that is total overkill for home use but loving awesome if you can stomach the price tag".

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Is there any home/countertop rotisserie setup that is worth the money/my time? Spinny meat seems fun and I can think of a few other odd ideas that might work better spinning.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 3, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Classic Thermapen (grey only) sale for $69 right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

poo poo, I really want an MK4 in blue.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Sextro posted:

Is there any home/countertop rotisserie setup that is worth the money/my time? Spinny meat seems fun and I can think of a few other odd ideas that might work better spinning.

Hilariously and surprisingly, the ever-present RONCO WHATEVER-THOUSAND SHOWTIME ROTISSERIE of infomercial fame ("Just set it... and forget it!") actually does a decent job.

It's also huge, and gets really hot on the outside, and needs a lot of clear counter space, and is a total bitch to clean, and operates at a fixed temperature. You've gotta be dedicated to spinny meat to go that route.

If you've got a barbecue that will accept a rotisserie setup, I'd personally go that way over countertop.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Molten Llama posted:

Hilariously and surprisingly, the ever-present RONCO WHATEVER-THOUSAND SHOWTIME ROTISSERIE of infomercial fame ("Just set it... and forget it!") actually does a decent job.

It's also huge, and gets really hot on the outside, and needs a lot of clear counter space, and is a total bitch to clean, and operates at a fixed temperature. You've gotta be dedicated to spinny meat to go that route.

If you've got a barbecue that will accept a rotisserie setup, I'd personally go that way over countertop.

No outside space to grill in unfortunately. I'll probably just wait for a decent enough sale on those things to get one without really worrying I'll hate using it.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

They pop up pretty regularly in thrift shops for 20 bucks or less.

I found the nicest model with all the extras that you could purchase with it for 20 at a local shop and it is only been used once.

You can also find Sunbeam Carousel style rotisserie being vertical instead of horizontal they are not as good for things like chicken but they make awesome Gyros. I have both the Bronco and a 1950 Sunbeam depending on what I want to cook

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I bet it makes your kitchen hot as gently caress in the summer as bad as a dang oven would.

Edit: Don't they make things you pop in the oven anyway for that?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The two I have both are enclosed and heat with an electric coil to produce IR/radiant heat. As such they really don't put out much heat compared to my gas oven which is constantly venting heat out the top when I use it. Being that they are electric you could always just plug them in in the garage or on the patio if your house is that effected by it.

I also have something called a kabob-it that due to it's design doubles as a space heater while it cooks your kabobs/sausages.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Is it worth is to shell out the extra money for a Breville over other food processors? Do they ever go on sale?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Where's the cheapest place to buy a kitchenaid these days? I'm looking for the 6 qt bowl lift model, prefer to buy in store but I don't mind buying online, especially if i can get a discount on a refurb

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stalizard posted:

Where's the cheapest place to buy a kitchenaid these days? I'm looking for the 6 qt bowl lift model, prefer to buy in store but I don't mind buying online, especially if i can get a discount on a refurb

Probably this:
https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-R...itchenaid+mixer

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stalizard posted:

Woot frequently has them on sale, mostly refurbs. I'd hold off for a sale as they're pretty common.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

If you're a Costco member the pro 600 is often on sale there for under $300 brand new.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Well I'll be damned, Woot actually has them on sale today.

New, too, not even refurbs. That's a hell of a deal for them.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got the refurb on Amazon, it's just what I was looking for. The one on woot looks great, but it's a 5 qt and I was really after the 6 qt model. Thanks guys!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crosspost from the sous vide thread:

FoodSaver vacuum sealer on sale for 40 bucks today at Woot. I can't say I've ever used this model, but I have a different FoodSaver (the FM2000) and it's worked flawlessly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does anybody have recommendations for a handheld smoker? I'm only seeing like 3 on Amazon, and I'm wondering if any of them are any good.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out they're all the same one. :shepface:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 16, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I know it's super basic but I loving hate my current potato masher. Anyone love theirs? Good for taters and guac?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Croatoan posted:

I know it's super basic but I loving hate my current potato masher. Anyone love theirs? Good for taters and guac?
Food mill plus any random potato masher.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Kitchenaid whip or paddle

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Does anybody have recommendations for a handheld smoker? I'm only seeing like 3 on Amazon, and I'm wondering if any of them are any good.

the answer is really no, there are no good ones :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My roommate uses the 'Smoking Gun' to add smoke flavor to whiskey, which it seems to work OK for. I doubt it is good for much more than that. I believe he is on his second or third one in a couple years, so apparently they aren't particularly durable.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The gun seems unnecessarily complicated... I have an indoor smoking box, it's less then $50 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Stovetop-Smoker-Original-Camerons-Stainless/dp/B00004SZ9D/

It's a hot smoke, not a cold one, so you can't do the same things to meat that you can with an outdoor smoker, but it's perfect for adding smoke flavor to things like veggies.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Squashy Nipples posted:

The gun seems unnecessarily complicated... I have an indoor smoking box, it's less then $50 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Stovetop-Smoker-Original-Camerons-Stainless/dp/B00004SZ9D/

It's a hot smoke, not a cold one, so you can't do the same things to meat that you can with an outdoor smoker, but it's perfect for adding smoke flavor to things like veggies.

How well does it seal the smoke in? I have a small apartment and fire alarms, but no outdoor space in which to erect a smoker. Also, outdoor smokers are expressly prohibited.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How well does it seal the smoke in? I have a small apartment and fire alarms, but no outdoor space in which to erect a smoker. Also, outdoor smokers are expressly prohibited.

The instructions tell you to bend the top a little, and if you do that right, it closes tightly enough that no smoke escapes. Your kitchen will smell smokey, but there won't be any smoke in the air.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

taqueso posted:

My roommate uses the 'Smoking Gun' to add smoke flavor to whiskey, which it seems to work OK for. I doubt it is good for much more than that. I believe he is on his second or third one in a couple years, so apparently they aren't particularly durable.

I haven't tried it on whiskey, but the smoke you get from Smoking Gun on cheese is pretty acrid at first and requires a couple days of sitting in the fridge to "mellow out." If you have the time to let things sit and mellow out it's actually pretty good.

When you use a Smoking Gun on something you're going to serve right away, you're playing a tightrope game between the Scylla of "too much and it's acrid" and the Charybdis of "too little and you might as well not have bothered." Even if you "succeed" your prize is that you added just enough smoke that people can detect that there's smoke there but not enough to detect any specific notes because the acrid qualities are going to be over-represented.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 20, 2016

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
1. Which Vitamix is the best value? We're primarily going to use this for soup and general blending duties.
2. Do the refurbs come in a box that says "This is a gift from someone that doesn't love you?"

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Residency Evil posted:

1. Which Vitamix is the best value? We're primarily going to use this for soup and general blending duties.
2. Do the refurbs come in a box that says "This is a gift from someone that doesn't love you?"

1. Refurb or whatever is currently being sold by your neighborhood Costco

2. No idea.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mindphlux posted:

the answer is really no, there are no good ones :(

taqueso posted:

This is really sad to hear since I'm probably still going to buy one.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
This is a super duper good deal but it's today only so I hope some of y'all saved in advance. KitchenAid Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12-Piece Set on sale for $222.99 with free shipping.

https://amzn.com/B01ATSHP0A

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Croatoan posted:

This is a super duper good deal but it's today only so I hope some of y'all saved in advance. KitchenAid Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12-Piece Set on sale for $222.99 with free shipping.

https://amzn.com/B01ATSHP0A

Goddamn that's a good deal. If I didn't already have a full pots and pans collection, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Even so, I still want to buy it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Midniter posted:

Goddamn that's a good deal. If I didn't already have a full pots and pans collection, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Even so, I still want to buy it.

I know, right? If I had the cash it'd be handy just to have an extra few pots. I hope some of y'all take advantage of this!

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I hope some of y'all take advantage of this!

Ordered. I cook a ton, but I've primarily used non-stick other than the occasional random stock pot etc.... I've been planning for a while to finally get stainless cookware and this looks too perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

deimos posted:

1. Refurb or whatever is currently being sold by your neighborhood Costco

2. No idea.

Do I need to get a vitamix with the programmable stuff or is that really just fluff?