Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

H2SO4 posted:

In case anyone is interested, here's a clip where I got a successful flashlight stun on a Wraith. You can also see what it looks like before/during uncloaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUKwTGuY6M
ive always thought the point tally 'killer burn' is insanely metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Using the chainsaw to run around the map while looking for survivors; good idea or bad?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Yeah, in this case it happened when the match was half over.

So now, after getting a toolbox, it's come to my attention that I don't have any understanding of "charges." I sabotaged one hook, and it was just over half gone, then I started sabotaging another but cancelled right before the gauge got to the bottom because I didn't want to lose it. Is it really only good for two interactions per round, or does it recharge?

LibbyM posted:

Chainsaw doesn't give them directional sound, so it doesn't help them identify your location all too much, since when you get close you'll heart beat anyway. If you can get around the map without bumping into poo poo, it's a good way to move fast.

Chainsaw doesn't do directional audio at all? I thought it was the same as other stuff where if you were close enough it became directional.

Edit: Chainsaw absolutely does directional sound, just played a match against one and when he came for me at the exit I could definitely tell where he was.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Brackhar posted:

Using the chainsaw to run around the map while looking for survivors; good idea or bad?

Chainsaw doesn't give them directional sound, so it doesn't help them identify your location all too much, since when you get close you'll heart beat anyway. If you can get around the map without bumping into poo poo, it's a good way to move fast.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Soooo... game good or is this gonna be another Evolve and disappoint me despite my love for asymmetric team games?

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I'm leaning towards another evolve if the most egregious problems aren't fixed. Right now it's pretty fun but if "it'll be dead in a month or two" i ssomething you'd pass it up over I'd pass it up.

The advantage over evolve is that it doesn't cost a billion dollars and you don't have to consult the Tome of Rewards to figure out what you get for buying it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The premise of this game is pretty neat but I don't feel like it's gonna have a lot of staying power.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
It's also already much better and better balanced than Evolve ever was

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
It's too bad. I don't think asymmetrical team vs lone-wolf gameplay can actually be effectively balanced. It's four brains vs. one. Let's see the ones I can remember...

Hidden Source was probably the most balanced one I can think of, possibly because of friendly fire. One to eight counterstrike-looking dudes vs. a cloaked melee monster that could leap around, cling to walls, and (if you knew the trick) fling physics props hard enough to gib people. It worked because the hidden was actually hard to see, especially when he was moving. Also, and maybe this is the key, the hidden had a higher skill cap than the soldiers. There were all kinds of tricks like propkilling, jumping on people's heads, psyching them out, etc. Most hiddens lasted around thirty seconds and maybe got one or two kills but with some practice I could reliably clown five or six dudes and kill all of them. DBD on the other hand the skill cap is obviously higher for the survivors. An optimally played survivor will make an optimally played killer look like a scrub, and it's 4v1.

There was the predator mode in AVP3 and it sucked dick, the predator was completely obvious and would just get killed immediately, I played a few rounds and I don't think I ever saw the predator get a kill.

Nosgoth, that dead-rear end Legacy of Kain game, was like Left 4 Dead with no zombies, the vampires could combo their abilities but it wasn't emphasized. Just like in DBD at low levels everyone cried about the vampires but once you got the hang of it vampires got stomped and winning matches became a question of who gets reamed the least on the vampire round.

I guess Left 4 Dead versus counts but just like Nosgoth the zombies can only win with good teamwork and coordination. I can't think of any games like DBD where the solo player doesn't get embarrassed by semi-competent opponents.

Oh yeah, then there was evolve. I don't remember it very well. I remember good teams could usually keep on my rear end permanently but if I did manage to shake the hunters for more than five minutes or so I could drop on them as level 3 and usually stomp their poo poo. But that was in beta, and it was before the stealth monster was out.

And there's the Friday the 13th game coming out in a few months. It's still got enough time for htem to get their poo poo together but the trailer did not look promising.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 20, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
In case anyone's on the fence, just don't bother with the flashlight. It's too easy to counter as the killer - as soon as you hear a click just look away and strafe run towards them instead. Maybe if you want to try and be cheeky by dropping pallets then stunning them, but don't expect great success.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Also, most of the killer's locked animations, like climbing through a window or smashing a pallet or chainsawing one, force him to look down. If you hear him smashing a pallet that's your opportunity to slip behind something and try to disappear.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Does bleed do anything besides leave a trail?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H2SO4 posted:

In case anyone's on the fence, just don't bother with the flashlight. It's too easy to counter as the killer - as soon as you hear a click just look away and strafe run towards them instead. Maybe if you want to try and be cheeky by dropping pallets then stunning them, but don't expect great success.

Of course, you'll end up with dozens of the things and dozens more add-ons from searching chests and mandatory bloodweb entries so you might as well take them if you don't want to lose a medkit/toolbox just in case you happen to come up against a wraith.

A flashlight with a couple effectiveness add-ons is actually incredibly rude against a wraith.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn, sabotage as a skill might need to be looked at. First game where they snookered all the hooks. I still got them all though. They got most of the hooks and still had five generators left. They kept loving up skill checks.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Grognan posted:

Goddamn, sabotage as a skill might need to be looked at. First game where they snookered all the hooks. I still got them all though. They got most of the hooks and still had five generators left. They kept loving up skill checks.

How? Did the entire opposing team have toolboxes? The one time I got a toolbox it only had enough fairy dust for two hooks.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Grognan posted:

It takes ages and ages, even at level 3. Unless I'm playing against the trapper and can kill traps sabotage has basically never had any effect on the game, I just use it to farm an enormous amount of points.

H2SO4 posted:

How? Did the entire opposing team have toolboxes? The one time I got a toolbox it only had enough fairy dust for two hooks.

Jake gets sabotage toolbox like Claudette gets medkit self-heal as a perk.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Two of them came in with tool boxes, they might have gotten lucky with drops but they nailed all the hooks when only one person had the skill. They might have done it because I was doing a drat good job of keeping them from the generators.

Hey they should make it that if you gently caress up a hook sabotage without kit, it grabs you.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 20, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah Jake's Sabotage skill is a real pain for the Trapper, but it's functionally not relevant for sabotaging hooks. It takes way too long, you are just going to get caught and mounted on one of the hooks you're trying to sabotage.

That said, a toolbox can get a pretty scary number of charges if it's given two add-ons; three hooks is not unheard of for one box, and 4 might be possible.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Coolguye posted:

Yeah Jake's Sabotage skill is a real pain for the Trapper, but it's functionally not relevant for sabotaging hooks. It takes way too long, you are just going to get caught and mounted on one of the hooks you're trying to sabotage.

That said, a toolbox can get a pretty scary number of charges if it's given two add-ons; three hooks is not unheard of for one box, and 4 might be possible.

That said you should be a lot more worried of somebody packing a loaded toolbox to finish two generators twice as fast. That's why I bring a toolbox along as Jake after all

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64__DPuaDfc

Reddit junk, but watching a man fly across the map and accidentally down a survivor just feels too good.

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!
Does the chainsaw auto aim if a survivor is in touching range?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

polka posted:

fuuuuck no

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

polka posted:

no, that guy is insanely good with the chainsaw and it's hilarious

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mister Bup posted:

It's too bad. I don't think asymmetrical team vs lone-wolf gameplay can actually be effectively balanced. It's four brains vs. one. Let's see the ones I can remember...

Hidden Source was probably the most balanced one I can think of, possibly because of friendly fire. One to eight counterstrike-looking dudes vs. a cloaked melee monster that could leap around, cling to walls, and (if you knew the trick) fling physics props hard enough to gib people. It worked because the hidden was actually hard to see, especially when he was moving. Also, and maybe this is the key, the hidden had a higher skill cap than the soldiers. There were all kinds of tricks like propkilling, jumping on people's heads, psyching them out, etc. Most hiddens lasted around thirty seconds and maybe got one or two kills but with some practice I could reliably clown five or six dudes and kill all of them. DBD on the other hand the skill cap is obviously higher for the survivors. An optimally played survivor will make an optimally played killer look like a scrub, and it's 4v1.

There was the predator mode in AVP3 and it sucked dick, the predator was completely obvious and would just get killed immediately, I played a few rounds and I don't think I ever saw the predator get a kill.

Nosgoth, that dead-rear end Legacy of Kain game, was like Left 4 Dead with no zombies, the vampires could combo their abilities but it wasn't emphasized. Just like in DBD at low levels everyone cried about the vampires but once you got the hang of it vampires got stomped and winning matches became a question of who gets reamed the least on the vampire round.

I guess Left 4 Dead versus counts but just like Nosgoth the zombies can only win with good teamwork and coordination. I can't think of any games like DBD where the solo player doesn't get embarrassed by semi-competent opponents.

Oh yeah, then there was evolve. I don't remember it very well. I remember good teams could usually keep on my rear end permanently but if I did manage to shake the hunters for more than five minutes or so I could drop on them as level 3 and usually stomp their poo poo. But that was in beta, and it was before the stealth monster was out.

And there's the Friday the 13th game coming out in a few months. It's still got enough time for htem to get their poo poo together but the trailer did not look promising.

there's depth, which is 4v2 where the 4 people are divers and the 2 people are sharks

that's a good one

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I have that, got it on a sale, but I only played it a couple minutes. It's got a long and weird devcycle and the game that it turned out to be isn't much like what I expected it to be. Maybe I need to play it some more to see how it goes but, sort of like this, I was expecting tense stealth excitement and got left 4 dead with sharks.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bup posted:

I have that, got it on a sale, but I only played it a couple minutes. It's got a long and weird devcycle and the game that it turned out to be isn't much like what I expected it to be. Maybe I need to play it some more to see how it goes but, sort of like this, I was expecting tense stealth excitement and got left 4 dead with sharks.

add me on steam, it was going the way of nosgoth though. (if you want to play it, most people would play diver coordinated groups)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mister Bup posted:

AvP 2 had a mode called survivor where one guy started as the alien and anyone he killed turned into aliens. Every once in a while someone who really sucked would get first alien and everyone would manage to bunker down somewhere, but most games ended up pretty drat good. Trying to get everyone to a defensible location while a few of them are picked off and turned into enemies put a feeling of tension in the game, and the alien pounce mechanic still made getting them out of those spots feasible if you had decent players.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Got downed, crawled to the hatch, saw the only other guy alive get hooked and died, and the killer picked me up just as the hatch option became available. Now that's depressing.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
The chainsaw's a piece of poo poo and you have to be perfect with it to catch anybody who isn't standing still. Feels great when you pop a dickhead from across the map though. He's also the only killer who can counter people BMing at the exit gates, nothing better than dragging him away from the exit and stringing him up..

The hitbox needs to be much bigger though. I can't even count the number of times I've swung it across somebody's body and missed.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I dunno about evolve (never played it), but this game is quite fun to play right now even though it's not well balanced. Maybe it's just because there's so many bad players right now but there's a ton of individual skill and the way your success isn't 100% tied to the rest of your team is great. The problem I see is having matches where there's a large park gap between killers / survivors, because the survivors get some goddamn INSANE gamechanging perks while killers mostly seem to get quality of life improvements. Right now it's a pretty level playing field with most people having maybe 1 low rank perk barring the occasional poopsocker (or cheater), but when the majority of people are rolling around with 4 good perks, newer players are gonna feel pretty lovely. Then again, maybe it's good that the killer perks aren't super overwhelming, otherwise a high level killer could steamroll teams with weak link players.

Anyway, I don't regret buying it for 18$, already got a lot of fun out of it and probably gonna keep at it. The progression system is pretty effective at rewarding you for play, even if it does feel like levels come rather too slowly for someone who doesn't spend tons of time grinding.

e: also I appreciate that it isn't a game that requires a ton of sick twitch reflexes and accuracy, it;s much more about thinking ahead and playing smart

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 20, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I don't regret buying it. I'd honestly prefer some kind of "pure" game mode with no perks, add-ons, or progression. Wouldn't solve window problems but they'd be more manageable without perks and no rank means people would hopefully be less interested in abusing the system for points.

I feel bad for Dwight. All the other guys have some kind of gamebreaking perk people are grinding for, it seems like it affects the types of people who play. Jake and Claudette are always twitch pubstars or wannabe twitch pubstars, Meg leans that way but usually isn't quite as bad, Dwight tries really hard and just gets hosed. Every time I bop a guy trying to teabag me under a pallet it's a Dwight. Every time I juke a window-hopper and knock his head off it's a Dwight.

Every game, Dwight

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's pretty annoying that I can still derank on a match where I got 9 800 points and a guy I was going to sacrifice rage quit in my arms. They fixed it so survivors don't derank when the killer quits but apparently not the other way around?

Edit: Just deranked again, 8000 points, 2 dc's that would have been sacrifice. Not to mention buying me time to catch the last guy that hatched out, if they had been on the hook instead of dc'd.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 20, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

LibbyM posted:

It's pretty annoying that I can still derank on a match where I got 9 800 points and a guy I was going to sacrifice rage quit in my arms. They fixed it so survivors don't derank when the killer quits but apparently not the other way around?

Edit: Just deranked again, 8000 points, 2 dc's that would have been sacrifice.

Pretty much, as I understand it: A killer is always put out when a survivor quits no matter how they quit. A survivor can quit in one of two ways via the menu where they'll lose a pip, or by going linkdead which will retain their rank.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

As dumb as the ranking system in this game is, I can't find it in myself to not care. I guess I'm going to stick with survivor until they patch something.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I just cherrypick, I won't lie about it. It's a pleasant surprise when a rank 16 or below actually allows himself to die without pulling the cord and the amount of effort to catch the dicks isn't worth losing all the points. So I drop if I see those ranks.

Even when they don't disconnect they make the game excruciating to play, and I'm here to have fun.

Why does the shittiest killer have the best perks? I hate that I'm tempted to level wraith just to get shadowborn and bloodhound on my trapper and hillbilly. Not that I have to actually play him to do it but still.

As for the others seems like the hillbilly has the best standard add-ons and the trapper has the best item in general. Trapper items make it better if you catch somebody but they don't make it easier to catch somebody, aside from gloves/setting tools which don't actually work and dye which might work but I usually put my traps where you're not gonna see them anyway.

Hillbilly's addons actually make the chainsaw more reliable and easier to get people with.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I have found no actual correlation between rank and people who will rage quit. 20's do it just as often in my experience. Killer is straight up unplayable if you care about rank, you can't just cherry pick it away. The 3 people who hosed me over in my couple killer games today were two 20's and a 17. Had a rank 11 accept their death honorably.

Anyhow, speaking as a rank 12 survivor who never rage quits I am certainly not a big enough hypocrite to just wave my middle finger in the face of other higher ranked players. Like, "I expect other people to fight me but I'd never fight people like me" I'd have to be a real poo poo.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Just got a hat trick. Honing stone plus tar bottle equals fucktown, population nobody cause they're all dead. Trapped one and hooked her, trapped another across the map, as I'm picking him up trap a guy trying to save the hooked one, as I'm hooking him the last one gets trapped. And of course it bugged on her and I couldn't pick her up, and I deranked on a triple sacrifice with five successful traps.

gently caress this game, dude. Led her to the trapdoor cause bleedout's only 50 points and it sucked for everybody involved.

Also, unhooking speed is absolute loving bullshit. Even if I do outplay the high ranked guys and kill them unless I literally stand against him to block unhooking attempts someone will unhook him the second I look away. I thought I was the killer but it seems like I spend a lot of this game being chased around.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 20, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

H2SO4 posted:

That's, uhhh.... not supposed to happen.

Two were dead, and then suddenly new survivors started spawning in next to me. They didn't move at all, and the match abruptly ended about 30 seconds later as if the killer disconnected. At least I didn't lose my flashlight!

That happened to me yesterday as the killer. Three more people joined after the exit was open. The first died instantly, and I crashed to the desktop shortly after the 7th survivor joined. None of my items were used.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, the general goonsensus is that the game is fun but playing it competitively sucks? I can live with that for :10bux: :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Fat Samurai posted:

So, the general goonsensus is that the game is fun but playing it competitively sucks? I can live with that for :10bux: :10bux:

Yep! Don't worry about rank and instead worry about all the MURDERDEATHKILL bits that also involve being a sneaky bugger or something.

Also remember to try and be the Hillbilly in the corn field. Wonder if there's a way to see the map you're gonna be in.

• Locked thread