Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Espionage is interesting in this context because you're trying to figure out what the enemy is planning, unfortunately I don't know if how the AI plans and thinks can be relayed to the player in a way that makes any sense and doesn't change constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mans posted:

WW1 DLC would be terrible simply because what happens after the war is over isn't really planned out properly in HoI.
Plus people hate truces, and there'd effectively be a 20 year one after WW1 concluded.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Plus people hate truces, and there'd effectively be a 20 year one after WW1 concluded.

Well, it could potentially just be a separate scenario that ends at about the end of WWI.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am the Supreme Ruler and make only grand decisions such as where to build a factory, how many factories to build, what kind of factories they are, how many factories will produce a tank, determine the layout of the tank divisions, decide where they are deployed, assign them to their generals, tell the general where it should go, and more often than not tell the division to make a breakthrough since the general won't do that.

But the other smaller stuff is beneath me, the Supreme Ruler.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Fleshed out WW1 scenario with a few minor mechanics tweaks would be great. If they managed to make a WW2 generator that looks at the sate of the world at the end of ww1 and fast forwards it for 15-30 years it would be fantastic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Well, it could potentially just be a separate scenario that ends at about the end of WWI.
Sure, if it ends when hostilities have ceased then I don't see an inherent problem, but I was going off the part of the quote saying "Seeing the world facture and rebuild from ww1 to whenever", which would imply the end of conflict wouldn't be the end of the campaign.

I do like Pharnakes' suggestion of the game skipping most of the interwar years and just setting up the next war based on the final result of the first part, at least in theory.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't see how that'd work unless you had the focus trees be incredibly open ended and generic.

Or planned all the content around an "if the Central Powers won" scenario.

e: likewise I don't really see a western front WW1 scenario being that engaging unless you completely remove the trench warfare aspect of it. Every scenario would involve either sitting there optimizing factories the whole game or using your future spaceman powers to pick the techs you know will be decisive and finishing the war in the blink of an eye before Christmas.

WW1 is an interesting thing in the context of Victoria, where you get to see the devastating economic ramifications and their impact on a country you built yourself. as a wargame I don't see it being so engaging.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 19, 2016

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
WW1 in DH was decent I thought?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Hearts 4 already has the encryption stats in place that somehow govern the quality of intel you get on the enemy. Make it more clear how they translate to that information, add some more tangible benefits to them, and give the player some macro-level ways to invest in boosting them or direct their efforts towards broad goals. Espionage system that fits the overall design of the game.

Commit some industry to Turing Bombes to counter the enemy's investment in naval codes because you really want to reveal his sub patrols and he'd rather keep his raiders safe.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Espionage can be the dlc they do in 2 years- not now not soon plz thanks All Devs who read this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, christ, I was going to ask which STEM field that dude studied because holy smokes

"I'm glad we can perfectly read Mayan and Egyptian thanks to a simple analysis of their grammar"

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OddObserver posted:

man a Russian Civil War scenario would actually be really boss.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

East V West: a Hoi4 game

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pharnakes posted:

WW1 in DH was decent I thought?

Nope.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

"I'm glad we can perfectly read Mayan and Egyptian thanks to a simple analysis of their grammar"

Easy peasy! *encounters a tonal language for the first time, head melts*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Easy peasy! *encounters a tonal language for the first time, head melts*

Lol those dumb Japanese not able to translate a complex language with no transcription system that is entirely unrelated to their own or anything they've ever heard before

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Lol those dumb Japanese not able to translate a complex language with no transcription system that is entirely unrelated to their own or anything they've ever heard before

Yeah but if they had big data then they could do it. How do you use big data? Easy, you use it to analyze the grammar. Every language has grammar. Then you know the language.

I mean this poo poo couldn't be simpler what are we even arguing about?

Also here's 1 weird tip that the Allies used to break the Nazi codes: every single message ended with Love, Adolf. Oops!

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Rakthar posted:

Yeah but if they had big data then they could do it. How do you use big data? Easy, you use it to analyze the grammar. Every language has grammar. Then you know the language.

Also here's 1 weird tip that the Allies used to break the Nazi codes: every single message ended with Love, Adolf. Oops!

*A thousand scholars who've failed to translate Linear A twitch*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No you don't understand, my parents bought me a fun with cryptography book and I learned how to do frequency analysis when I was 12, ipso facto the marine's code talker system was actually trash despite a history of effectiveness throughout the Pacific campaign.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rakthar posted:

Get crackin'

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rakthar posted:

oh of course why hasn't anyone done that before; thank you for solving All Language Ever

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Mans posted:

Get crackin'

"this thread is poo poo, hail satan"

Done, you're welcome.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rakthar posted:

Have you ever heard Navajo? It sounds like this. Good luck figuring out the grammar for a language that you can't transcribe properly today let alone in the 40s.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sure, if it ends when hostilities have ceased then I don't see an inherent problem, but I was going off the part of the quote saying "Seeing the world facture and rebuild from ww1 to whenever", which would imply the end of conflict wouldn't be the end of the campaign.

That was implied yes, HoI might not be the best fit for the type of game Im wishing for but a man can dream!
Scenarios are boring for me since they are just shorter scenarios, Im a grand campaign kinda man. Different strokes I guess.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zombiepop posted:

That was implied yes, HoI might not be the best fit for the type of game Im wishing for but a man can dream!
Scenarios are boring for me since they are just shorter scenarios, Im a grand campaign kinda man. Different strokes I guess.
Frankly, I'd be all for a tightly focused Victoria covering roughly the years 1900-1925, sort of a middle ground between Victoria and Hearts of Iron.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Maybe some sort of Hearts of Iron 1.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

zedprime posted:

Maybe some sort of Hearts of Iron 1.

One can only take so much The White Stripes.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Frankly, I'd be all for a tightly focused Victoria covering roughly the years 1900-1925, sort of a middle ground between Victoria and Hearts of Iron.
Victoria: The Long Long Trail.

Start off with a bunch of stodgy monarchies, have a few (relatively) minor wars, then the Great War, and then try to impose a new international order on a world teeming with fascists and communists. I'd pay money for that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

doesnt victoria 2 already span those years

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Victoria 2 is 1836-1936, a much larger scope.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

That's why I called it a tightly focused Victoria.

Ofaloaf posted:

Victoria: The Long Long Trail.

Start off with a bunch of stodgy monarchies, have a few (relatively) minor wars, then the Great War, and then try to impose a new international order on a world teeming with fascists and communists. I'd pay money for that.
Something like that, yeah. A shorter time frame means you can design around the assumption that there will be a single Great War, and likely a few revolutions at the tail end of that. With a clear focus like that on a single explosive climax (with a few aftershocks), you have a clear goal in mind for designing the rest of the game. Which means instead of having for example a ton of different goods you could simplify everything down to basic categories, like Food/Consumer Goods/Industrial Materials/Fuel/Military Supplies, and create a solid trade and logistics system around getting that poo poo to where it's needed, whether you're at war or not. This would also mean the player would be well acquainted with the problems of supply and logistics when they suddenly have to get that poo poo to the front, resulting in fewer separate systems the player would have to grasp.

Basically, the challenge becomes creating a sturdy state that can go the distance during the Great War, and not suddenly start to unravel as men leave for the front and resources a diverted away from the civilian economy. Which would obviously also include deeper internal politics, including factions, interacting more closely with a simplified (and probably Marx-inspired if it was up to me) pop system.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So this has little to do with videogames buuuutt.... I just finished watching The Tudors on Netflix. I've already seen both Borgia series, is there anything else I can be watching to wet my Western European historical soap opera whistle?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So this has little to do with videogames buuuutt.... I just finished watching The Tudors on Netflix. I've already seen both Borgia series, is there anything else I can be watching to wet my Western European historical soap opera whistle?

Reign (Mary, Queen of Scots married to the French crown prince / king, and their struggle against England)

Suleyman is very popular in South-East Europe. It's a Turkish soap-like series set in the Ottoman empire.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deceitful Penguin posted:

a vitally important part of the war/country/era

It's funny how often people say this phrase or similar to it about pretty much anything no matter how big or important. (Not directly disagreeing with you in this specific case, just found it funny)
I still think that there are people on CK2 forum arguing for Zanzibar being of vital importance for the economy of Europe to actually work which is obviously why we need to feature it in the game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It is vitally important that the National Focus trees in HoI4 let me hide branches of it. Seeing large parts of it become inaccessible every 70 days. Let me hide that poo poo.
Having small separate icons for the tank variants, outside the tanks icon would be cool too, same for planes.

Adding a 1930 start date so the Deutschnationale Volkspartei can take over before Nazis are a thing is also vitally important. Für den Kaiser!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
whoops!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's why I called it a tightly focused Victoria.

Something like that, yeah. A shorter time frame means you can design around the assumption that there will be a single Great War, and likely a few revolutions at the tail end of that. With a clear focus like that on a single explosive climax (with a few aftershocks), you have a clear goal in mind for designing the rest of the game. Which means instead of having for example a ton of different goods you could simplify everything down to basic categories, like Food/Consumer Goods/Industrial Materials/Fuel/Military Supplies, and create a solid trade and logistics system around getting that poo poo to where it's needed, whether you're at war or not. This would also mean the player would be well acquainted with the problems of supply and logistics when they suddenly have to get that poo poo to the front, resulting in fewer separate systems the player would have to grasp.

Basically, the challenge becomes creating a sturdy state that can go the distance during the Great War, and not suddenly start to unravel as men leave for the front and resources a diverted away from the civilian economy. Which would obviously also include deeper internal politics, including factions, interacting more closely with a simplified (and probably Marx-inspired if it was up to me) pop system.

Center Vs. Entente: A Victoria Game

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Center Vs. Entente: A Victoria Game
That's mean.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If you just want a good ww1 game with a veneer of managing your side buy commander the great war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

but fair