Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega64 posted:

It's especially funny since Vlaada explicitly told the RC designer how dumb of an idea that was.

Vlaada is usually pretty good with mechanics. His problem (IMO) is knowing when to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
How dare you besmirch the name of our lord and savior.

Boo this man.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jedit posted:

Vlaada is usually pretty good with mechanics. His problem (IMO) is knowing when to stop.

I kinda agree with this. Only Vlaada games I love are Galaxy Trucker and Codenames (TTA is pretty close though), everything else just screams "too much" for me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Magnetic North posted:

How dare you besmirch the name of our lord and savior.

Boo this man.

You're encouraging him

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I kinda agree with this. Only Vlaada games I love are Galaxy Trucker and Codenames (TTA is pretty close though), everything else just screams "too much" for me.

Space Alert is really tightly designed. A previous incarnation of this thread didn't declare it best board game ever for no reason.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Why is anyone paying any attention to Jedit when he's talking about Chavatil

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mega64 posted:

If Galaxy Trucker is too much, then how come there is nothing left of my ship, huh? Makes ya think.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Space Alert is really tightly designed. A previous incarnation of this thread didn't declare it best board game ever for no reason.

Yeah but it's also a hassle to play and teach, stressful for certain types of players, and something you can't really play in a meet-up situation due to the soundtrack.

I own it but every time I bring it out it pretty much gets a "meh" from the people I play with.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Barrier to entry is something most here don't consider. Not everyone is as goony.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Space alert is one of the easiest games to teach and play. all you do is move around and maybe do the action in that room. That's literally it. :confused:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Space alert is one of the easiest games to teach and play. all you do is move around and maybe do the action in that room. That's literally it. :confused:

It's stressful and requires a solid burst of heavy thinking and regularly ends with noone at the table succeeding, and some groups don't want that on weekday evenings or weekends when they're enjoying not being at work.

e: I mean I love the game, but that right there is why we didn't bring it out that often.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 20, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Tell a group of people that and nothing but that and see what happens. Alternatively, learn what literally means.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Tell a group of people that and nothing but that and see what happens. Alternatively, learn what literally means.

It means literally.

It also means figuratively.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks, I looked it up and was reminded that I used it correctly. This is going to lead to another round of people claiming that you need to front load your players with all sorts of rules trivia they won't listen to anyway instead of telling them to just move around and do stuff when they want.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
People who own Morels: is it worth it? I'm going to get a few new games, and I don't have anything that plays 2P really tightly (aside from Dominion).

Edit: Also considering Spyfall and Mascarade. Any opinions?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sector_corrector posted:

People who own Morels: is it worth it? I'm going to get a few new games, and I don't have anything that plays 2P really tightly (aside from Dominion).

It's not my favorite 2p game but it's definitely my favorite cheap 2p game, and the theme/art is very cute and unique.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sector_corrector posted:

Mascarade is a relatively fun light social game for 6-10 players. Less than that there aren't enough roles to keep things muddled, more than that and it takes forever. We played with the maximum of 13 once; "never again" was the verdict.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah, Morels is a nice chill (although it can get pretty cutthroat) set collection game. It's one of me and my girlfriend's go-to coffee shop games. Also it's gonna make you real hungry for some dang mushrooms.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

Edit: Also considering Spyfall

That's not a 2 player game just in case that's part of your first question.

radlum
May 13, 2013

sonatinas posted:

4 people are playing Mage wars in my store right now. I feel like I've seen a unicorn.

Is Mage Wars just another cardgame like MTG without the "go broke buying booster packs model" or does it have something more unique? I saw it for relatively cheap in my FLGS and I was thinking about it.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

radlum posted:

Is Mage Wars just another cardgame like MTG without the "go broke buying booster packs model" or does it have something more unique? I saw it for relatively cheap in my FLGS and I was thinking about it.

The big twist is instead of drawing from a deck you have all your cards in a "spellbook" which is quite literally a card binder with the cards you selected via point-buy rules. It also has a big tactical board element though arena cuts down on that a bit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

radlum posted:

It's more like an LCG with kinda bad marketing and branding and infrequent releases. It plays like a miniatures game, but with cards. There are a lot of dice and keywords involved that make learning the game sort of a pain in the rear end, and the lack of community (for the most part?) means that it may not be worth getting too into the game.

It's a good game if you can find people to play it, but it's an uphill struggle.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trynant posted:

The big twist is instead of drawing from a deck you have all your cards in a "spellbook" which is quite literally a card binder with the cards you selected via point-buy rules. It also has a big tactical board element though arena cuts down on that a bit.

The other big twist of Mage Wars is instead of playing against "opponents" you will engage in exciting "looking at your cards collect dust".

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Any opinions on Star Trek Frontiers? This review made it look pretty bad, like Mage Knight minus some interesting mechanics.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gilgameshback posted:

Any opinions on Star Trek Frontiers? This review made it look pretty bad, like Mage Knight minus some interesting mechanics.

That's the assumption of the thread, yeah.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Im a big fan of Death Angel for solo play. Any games come to mind that feel similar?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

CaptainRightful posted:

People complain about quarterbacking in every co-op game ever made. Stop blaming the games and blame the dickheads you play with. If you can't do that, you can still avoid the issue altogether by playing solo.

There's no quarterbacking in Space Alert. Or Hanabi. Maybe the co-op genre is mostly inherently flawed?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Quarterbacking doesn't mean "mean rear end in a top hat alphagamers ruin everyone's evening," it means "as the most experienced player, do I sit here and tell them the answer (which I know) or do I intentionally take a dive because they keep making bad choices?" or "do I get mad at the person who knows what they're doing and is making suggestions during my turn?". Assuming it's just jerks yelling at Innocent Casual Gamers is a really gross misrepresentation of the issue

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

Quarterbacking doesn't mean "mean rear end in a top hat alphagamers ruin everyone's evening," it means "as the most experienced player, do I sit here and tell them the answer (which I know) or do I intentionally take a dive because they keep making bad choices?" or "do I get mad at the person who knows what they're doing and is making suggestions during my turn?". Assuming it's just jerks yelling at Innocent Casual Gamers is a really gross misrepresentation of the issue

Why do people get hung up on the agency of their individual pawn in co-op games? Its a group effort, just look at it as a big puzzle everyone is working on together.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Countblanc posted:

But that does happen and there are plenty of annoying twats in this hobby. It's like going out drinking but having that one friend that turns into an rear end in a top hat when he has whiskey. Just don't drink whiskey with him around. It's not whiskey's fault. The best answer for a number of these games is to have a group discussion but let the first player or person with the current turn make the final decision.

Also, this thread is really drat cyclical. Should we discuss colonization themes and white guilt next?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, this thread is really drat cyclical. Should we discuss colonization themes and white guilt next?

The last time this happened, we got an awesome poem.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Why do people get hung up on the agency of their individual pawn in co-op games? Its a group effort, just look at it as a big puzzle everyone is working on together.

I'll take this one step further. In my old group it wasn't uncommon for someone to offer a clearly better alternative in competitive games too. And political games, you couldn't look at your pieces before everybody is yelling things you should do on your turn.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

im gaye posted:

Im a big fan of Death Angel for solo play. Any games come to mind that feel similar?

Warhammer Quest Adventure Card game is like Death Angel and Lord of the Rings LCG had an adorable baby that kicked you in the balls and you liked it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rutibex posted:

When quarterbacking occurs, the game is no longer a group effort. That's the entire point. One person takes control of the entire situation and might as well be playing alone.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

But that does happen and there are plenty of annoying twats in this hobby. It's like going out drinking but having that one friend that turns into an rear end in a top hat when he has whiskey. Just don't drink whiskey with him around. It's not whiskey's fault. The best answer for a number of these games is to have a group discussion but let the first player or person with the current turn make the final decision.

I'll Kickstart that conversation by saying I demo'd Freedom with a bunch of strangers half-jokingly wanting to make them uncomfortable every time they got a slave captured only to end up enjoying the game and a friend purchased it.

I would certainly appreciate more board games that take a humane approach to their design instead of zooming all the way out to the point where you're trading slaves and old people for genies. We've got war games that simulate combat to an individual level and yet I can't think of one where collateral damage and civilian casualties are a thing to consider. I don't want that "Train" game but games that don't abstract heavier themes is always appreciated.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

al-azad posted:

I'll Kickstart that conversation by saying I demo'd Freedom with a bunch of strangers half-jokingly wanting to make them uncomfortable every time they got a slave captured only to end up enjoying the game and a friend purchased it.

I would certainly appreciate more board games that take a humane approach to their design instead of zooming all the way out to the point where you're trading slaves and old people for genies. We've got war games that simulate combat to an individual level and yet I can't think of one where collateral damage and civilian casualties are a thing to consider. I don't want that "Train" game but games that don't abstract heavier themes is always appreciated.

There's Copper Country, which is a game about the copper mining industry in Michigan and deals with labor disputes, unionization, and worker casualties. It's still ultimately a game but it doesn't try to gloss over the poo poo that happened to those workers and communities.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Shadin posted:

Warhammer Quest Adventure Card game is like Death Angel and Lord of the Rings LCG had an adorable baby that kicked you in the balls and you liked it.

Sold.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

S.J. posted:

When quarterbacking occurs, the game is no longer a group effort. That's the entire point. One person takes control of the entire situation and might as well be playing alone.

Well then maybe the other players should pull their weight :colbert:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rutibex posted:

Well then maybe the other players should pull their weight :colbert:

Oh, get out. This is completely avoiding the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think co-op games are most interesting when communication is restricted, like Hanabi or Mysterium. There's a lot of design space in there that hasn't really been deeply explored yet.

Dip into this well for partnership games, too. Take some inspiration from Bridge or something.