Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Undead Hippo posted:

Did Tyrion learn about the caches in a scene? Because he very clearly didn't know about them during the preparation for the Battle of Blackwater, when he was paying through the nose for more wildfire.

I think he said that he learned about them when Jaime told him about why he killed the Mad King. The wildfire used at Blackwater had apparently been recently commissioned from the Alchemists' Guild. Then again, if wildfire grows more volatile with time you'd expect there to have been at least one accidental detonation in those caches if they are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Letting dogs eat a person even if that person is Ramsay is pretty mean but its not a scheme as such. Unless somehow nobody else knew what she was about which seems unlikely. I do wonder how that conversation went down.

Jon: we should behead him

Littlefinger: Hanging is good too, what do you think Sansa

Sansa: I want to feed him to his dogs

Jon;Littlefinger: ok...........

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 20, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
If I remember correctly it's not the wildfire itself that gets more volatile, it's that the jars it's stored in may or may not start leaking.

Also the exchange between Dany and Yara where they go

"okay you naughty naughty pirates you, if this is gonna work you're gonna have to play nice. So no more reaving, raiding or *pause for effect* raping."
"But it's in our culture!"

was pretty great. It's almost like she didn't learn a single loving thing from her whole time farting around in Meereen.

Gortarius posted:

How come the giant didn't grab on to every spear that was pointed at him and just take them?
More importantly, what loving giant doesn't bring at least a club into battle?

Alternatively, he could've just chucked some of those thousands of corpses around him at / over the shield wall instead of pawing at the spears like a befuddled kitten. Or kicked the shields. Or something.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 20, 2016

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Alternatively, he could've just chucked some of those thousands of corpses around him at / over the shield wall instead of pawing at the spears like a befuddled kitten. Or kicked the shields. Or something.

They must be somewhat thick in the head to go extinct in the first place.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Goofballs posted:

Letting dogs eat a person even if that person is Ramsay is pretty mean but its not a scheme as such. Unless somehow nobody else knew what she was about which seems unlikely. I do wonder how that conversation went down.

Jon: we should behead him

Littlefinger: Hanging is good too, what do you think Sansa

Sansa: I want to feed him to his dogs

Jon;Littlefinger: ok...........

I'm just saying the episode linked her visually to Littlefinger and thematically to Ramsey, neither of which strike me as "loyal sister hoping for help to arrive."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some of you guys are way too invested the the deets.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

That pissed me off too. Where was his giant bow? Why didn't he just hulk stomp on fuckers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Illinois Smith posted:

Also the exchange between Dany and Yara where they go

"okay you naughty naughty pirates you, if this is gonna work you're gonna have to play nice. So no more reaving, raiding or *pause for effect* raping."
"But it's in our culture!"

was pretty great. It's almost like she didn't learn a single loving thing from her whole time farting around in Meereen.

Also "maybe instead of a piracy-based economy, we should try to become self-sufficient and then sue for independence" was Asha's whole sales pitch at the Kingsmoot. Why did they strip her character of that progressiveness if they were just going to make Dany force it on her three episodes later? It's a stupid and pointless change.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Tormund didn't die, right? Won't see it till tonight.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Risky posted:

That pissed me off too. Where was his giant bow? Why didn't he just hulk stomp on fuckers.

I was hoping to see the giant bow, too. It strikes me that, in an age of catapults and trebuchets, a giant armed with that enormous bow and ballista-sized arrows would make an amazing mobile artillery unit. I didn't think he should be leading the charge like he did, because he seems so comparatively vulnerable to enemy arrows and spears.

I also think you guys are simplifying how easy it would be for even a giant to break through a shield wall like that. Those spears aren't stuck pointing forward, and the whole point of a wall like that is for your neighbors to reinforce you. They even showed a few of Wun Wun's attempts -- he reached over the wall and grabbed a couple of the spearmen, but the ones around his victims jabbed him with their 10-foot spears, and he makes a huge target when he's right next to you. He might have killed quite a few, but there were several rows of spearmen in the phalanx, and if he stayed close enough to grab them, he'd be exposing himself to the spears of everyone he wasn't mauling. Heck, even if he hadn't forgotten to bring his club, I don't know that a good swing into the shieldwall wouldn't have just been answered by the next rank of spearmen stabbing him in the guts.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kajeesus posted:

Also "maybe instead of a piracy-based economy, we should try to become self-sufficient and then sue for independence" was Asha's whole sales pitch at the Kingsmoot. Why did they strip her character of that progressiveness if they were just going to make Dany force it on her three episodes later? It's a stupid and pointless change.

Because Dany is the only person who is allowed to reap the glory of being a progressive person on the show. Her quest is no longer about getting her birthright back but about spreading social justice in Planetos.

Probably because she is going to take a heel turn at some point and the writers want it to be as shocking as possible, just like the Jon Snow resurrection.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Tormund didn't die, right? Won't see it till tonight.

Still alive.

Kajeesus posted:

They could build a trade empire comparable to the Netherlands but nope, gotta reave, raid & rape their way through life.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Gotta say, if I was an aspiring military commander who had access to a giant I'd be plating that motherfucker up and commissioning a giant scythe pronto.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Where was Ghost? Back at Castle Black?

As others have said, the only thing I really didn't like was Rickon running in a straight line...even after he got shot at a few times. Is Ramsay an extremely proficient bowman in the books?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Phenotype posted:

I also think you guys are simplifying how easy it would be for even a giant to break through a shield wall like that.
All the stuff you say makes sense but it still feels silly that he didn't at least try to punt some guys and make an escape corridor when he's punching through a massive castle gate 10 minutes later. Either he has Hulk strength or he doesn't.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Illinois Smith posted:

All the stuff you say makes sense but it still feels silly that he didn't at least try to punt some guys and make an escape corridor when he's punching through a massive castle gate 10 minutes later. Either he has Hulk strength or he doesn't.

honestly, why would he be using his arms instead of his legs. He could have just stepped over or on the shield wall.

Essentially he was only at the battle to be a battering ram for the gate then they killed him because you cant have a giant walking around in Westeros.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Oliver Reed posted:

Is Ramsay an extremely proficient bowman in the books?
In the books he's not really proficient at anything other than sadism. The show generally handles archery rather unrealistically - apparently every single archer in Westeros is stronger than any man who has ever lived in this world because they can all hold fully drawn warbows for several minutes, and some can even hold a conversation while doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtoBFXSvD6Y

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 20, 2016

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Oliver Reed posted:

Where was Ghost? Back at Castle Black?

As others have said, the only thing I really didn't like was Rickon running in a straight line...even after he got shot at a few times. Is Ramsay an extremely proficient bowman in the books?

Twenty good arrows.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
wun wun died to save the cgi budget, RIP in peace

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yara could have been Ceryse of Skellige (witcher 3).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Has Dany ever treated with an enemy in good faith? It seems that every single negotiation ends with someone getting mugged, kidnapped or murdered.

LemonDrizzle posted:

In the books he's not really proficient at anything other than sadism. The show generally handles archery rather unrealistically - apparently every single archer in Westeros is stronger than any man who has ever lived in this world because they can all hold fully drawn warbows for several minutes, and some can even hold a conversation while doing this.

Sadism, dog handling and hunting. Archery in the show is generally portrayed unrealistically, but Ramsay should definitely know his way around a bow.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Kajeesus posted:

Has Dany ever treated with an enemy in good faith? It seems that every single negotiation ends with someone getting mugged, kidnapped or murdered.

Targaryen blood, man. She's a savage. And will hopefully become a straight-up villain.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LemonDrizzle posted:

Jon charging at the Boltons is stupid but also a perfectly understandable and human response to seeing his brother forced to run in terror and then murdered in front of him. Sansa not bothering to mention that they have a massive and overwhelming force of allied cavalry just a couple of hours away is catastrophically stupid and not at all understandable.

Sansa wants Jon and Rickon get killed in the battle so she will be rightfully claim Winterfell.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

whatever7 posted:

Sansa wants Jon and Rickon get killed in the battle so she will be rightfully claim Winterfell.

Bran still has the best claim, but I think he's gonna be more interested in being the next Three Eyed Crow instead of Lord of Winterfell.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Great action, filming and special effects, dumb lazy writing. The battle was awesome if you can tune out everything stupid that happened on and before it, which I just partially can

Still the best episode this season by far

edit: it was very entertaining to see the dragons finally wrecking some poo poo, after so long

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I like how the video starts out by saying shes holding a bow at full draw, yet halfway through the video she draws it further indicating it wasnt at full draw at all.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
They've got things set up pretty well so the four remaining siblings all would be a formidable house together if they all work together in Winterfell (Sansa politics and scheming, Jon probably the best warrior in the world, Arya master assassin to remove their enemies, and Bran a wizard of time and space). So of course that won't happen.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That was actually a pretty good episode. I even liked the Dany scenes amazingly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

God drat that fight scene was so loving intense. This season has been the most amazing season of the show, hands down. I say it to everyone who asks me whether they should start watching GoT: the first 2 seasons suck dick, the actors are still learning to get into their roles, especially Sansa and Arya and Samwell (I hated them every time they had a scene because their acting was so terrible).

But as the show progresses, it just keeps on getting better and better. The amount of times I said "holy poo poo..." during this episode, especially that cavalry charge that clashed in the middle whilst Jon was awaiting what he thought was certain death.

Also, just to clarify, Tormund wasn't pussying out and running at the part where he looked back and saw the men on the hill vs the spear wall ahead of him, right? He looked back and saw it was the only way for him and his men to survive, yeah? Cause I would have thought Wildlings would be brave to the point of stupidity and just hold their ground or charge into the shield wall.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 20, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nice troll.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Jon charging at the Boltons is stupid but also a perfectly understandable and human response to seeing his brother forced to run in terror and then murdered in front of him. Sansa not bothering to mention that they have a massive and overwhelming force of allied cavalry just a couple of hours away is catastrophically stupid and not at all understandable.

I don't think she knew they were coming and, even if she did, how could she know they were so close? I know GoT travel involves hopping into some sort of wormhole and then coming out where you want to be but I don't think she could know when they would be there.

It could still be a bit of a power play because, without most of the wildling army, she's definitely in charge. Even if most of the wildlings had lived, she's still (probably) got most of the North behind her plus the Vale.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

I just love the way Davos was pleading for Jon not to do it "don't do it... don't do it..." and then when he does it, he's just like "god drat it". Also, the stark (heh) contrast between Davos and Ramsay when they're ordering their men to draw, knock and loose. Davos says no because he know he'll damage his men whilst Ramsay just straight up cares nothing for the lives of the men fighting for him. I'm shocked that at that point men didn't turncoat and attack him. It sure as hell wouldn't sit well with me seeing the man I'm fighting for so callously killing his own soldiers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Loopoo posted:

I just love the way Davos was pleading for Jon not to do it "don't do it... don't do it..." and then when he does it, he's just like "god drat it". Also, the stark (heh) contrast between Davos and Ramsay when they're ordering their men to draw, knock and loose. Davos says no because he know he'll damage his men whilst Ramsay just straight up cares nothing for the lives of the men fighting for him. I'm shocked that at that point men didn't turncoat and attack him. It sure as hell wouldn't sit well with me seeing the man I'm fighting for so callously killing his own soldiers.

That was Ramsay 's braveheart moment.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Loopoo posted:

God drat that fight scene was so loving intense. This season has been the most amazing season of the show, hands down. I say it to everyone who asks me whether they should start watching GoT: the first 2 seasons suck dick, the actors are still learning to get into their roles, especially Sansa and Arya and Samwell (I hated them every time they had a scene because their acting was so terrible).

lol

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Snowcam is the best thing they've done in forever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol at people saying that Sansa wants all her brothers to die.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I want a Davos and Tormund buddy cop show.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

you can laugh about it but it's true. go back to season 1 and see how stale and wooden most of the actors / actresses appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Codependent Poster posted:

lol at people saying that Sansa wants all her brothers to die.

Well she did dye her hair black that one time.

• Locked thread