Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GramCracker posted:

I missed that part, what did he do to troll?

He said something in the cool down room like "kimi had a 5 second penalty but I decided to overtake him anyway"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

learnincurve posted:

He said something in the cool down room like "kimi had a 5 second penalty but I decided to overtake him anyway"

That's not trolling, that's being a racing driver with a sense of pride.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I agree, not the person who said he was. It was funnier that he said it so matter of factly to them and they thought he was so full of poo poo that they didn't acknowledge it. Fair play to the lad, he could have had an easy last few laps just sticking to 3 seconds behind saving fuel and tyres, and more importantly not having to go anywhere near a really pissed off Kimi.

e: I am aware that my spelling is bad tonight, wrong glasses.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

PT6A posted:

That's not trolling, that's being a racing driver with a sense of pride.

It was in response to Rosberg and Vettel asking if he managed to pass on track, or if it was from pit strategy (clearly expecting him to say the latter) and it was the offhand way he said it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

thegasman2000 posted:

Whats the penalty for your engineer telling you something? If it's a 10sec penalty it would have been better of telling him but I am sure Mercedes considered it. They are sneaky.

Lewis already got 2 reprimands. A third would give him a 10 place penalty for the next race.
I also think they could pretty much throw the book at them for deliberately cheating. They're clearly aware of the rules.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Ted wants you all to think of Hulkenberg as a superman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkN8MT-n8OI

meanwhile Bernie continues to be interview poison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JIqqhdglaU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Bernie is just that grandpa who doesn't give a poo poo and just speaks his mind.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Trump/Ecclestone '16.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gret posted:

Trump/Ecclestone '16.
Pfft, as if Bernie would let someone be in a higher position that what he's in.

Red Bull mentioned that they were having tyre problems from the car running low downforce wings. This was causing the car to move around too much and wearing the tyres out quickly in the heat. Will be interesting to see if they have the same issue at Monza if it is a warm day there.

EDIT: I think I have found the worst YouTube channel - Max Verstappen fan channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEYqvZnep2w

You Am I fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 20, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Radio ban good

I got it partly right - 18 finishers, McHonda out with car problems, and although a renault didn't retire it did gently caress the first corner up badly

I thought the race was ok but I watched it at 1.5x speed. Dougal let me down after sayingI liked him not blindly agreeing with everything - he twice went silent when asked to comment on Williams and started instead blathering about Hulkenberg or whatever. No more Dougal please.

Track okay, get rid of the second DRS, it'll help a lot.

Ferrari trying to gently caress tyre strategy up again, Vettel said no
Red bull loving up pit strategy this time, not pit stops

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That track had some cool overhead shots.

Radio ban poo poo was hilarious.

Baku is garbage since it let Nico coast to a win.

Loved watching Lewis struggle with his car settings!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Thanks guys I saw 400 new thread posts and decided to waste my night watching a poo poo race.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124895/hamilton-radio-ban-damaged-baku-spectacle

Hang on, so Mercedes set the car up wrong, hence Hamilton had issues?.
If they have too many modes & switches, then maybe they should just reduce the amount?.

Personally I think the only live telemetry they should be allowed, is brake monitoring. They can do a complete data dump in the pit lane, but other than that, leave it to drive to sort the car out.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just simplify it, no more than ten pre-programmed modes. Number of buttons is turning into the new aerodynamics.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

See I don't like restrictions on teams when it doesn't affect other teams. Back when they were running tyres at non recommended pressures and blowing them up, fine, give teams the choice to gamble. Think your driver knows what he's doing leave him alone? Give him 57 modes and submenus.

Aero on the other hand really screws up the guy behind you

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Beautiful. Had he simply ignored the scary looking warnings and driven normally it would only have cost him 0.2 seconds per lap.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-says-engine-error-only-cost-hamilton-0-2s-per-lap-790152/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

#mindgames

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124895/hamilton-radio-ban-damaged-baku-spectacle

Hang on, so Mercedes set the car up wrong, hence Hamilton had issues?.
If they have too many modes & switches, then maybe they should just reduce the amount?.

Personally I think the only live telemetry they should be allowed, is brake monitoring. They can do a complete data dump in the pit lane, but other than that, leave it to drive to sort the car out.

it is so incredibly stupid that they couldn't tell him how to fix the car. easily the worst change this sport has made in years. contributes nothing until it handicaps a driver for no reason.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If a team has allowed the steering wheel to get so complicated that the driver can't fathom out what the gently caress, then it's their own drat fault and completely on them. It's mostly a problem with engineers not comprehending that normal people don't speak engineer. If that warning message was clearer then this would never have happened. "Error 1BC" = switch 1 menu B sub menu C /shrug

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I was thinking for a while they should only put the 10 most important functions on the wheel because it's not like the driver knows or cares enough.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

That's a good point. What's the point of having stuff in a steering wheel menu that the driver doesn't even know how to access/that it exists?

I mean I do get hiding things that the FIA won't know exists...Benetton

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

it is so incredibly stupid that they couldn't tell him how to fix the car. easily the worst change this sport has made in years. contributes nothing until it handicaps a driver for no reason.

It benefits the sport on every single lap where a driver is making his own decisions on what to do with his car, not 20 people running simulations and min/maxing things like its a loving shuttle launch.
Drivers are handicapped when they haven't taken the time to work out how their car works. Seems pretty fair.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

It benefits the sport on every single lap where a driver is making his own decisions on what to do with his car, not 20 people running simulations and min/maxing things like its a loving shuttle launch.
Drivers are handicapped when they haven't taken the time to work out how their car works. Seems pretty fair.

they're drivers, not engineers. this childish rule change has provably done nothing but ruin drivers' races for no reason. and it's nothing more than a response to armchair experts on the internet whining about cars being too easy to drive. it's hilarious that it happened to lewis after all his bragging about not being in the sim but one day it's going to gently caress over a driver who isn't smug beyond his years and no one will be defending it then.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

wicka posted:

it's hilarious that it happened to lewis after all his bragging about not being in the sim but one day it's going to gently caress over a driver who isn't smug beyond his years and no one will be defending it then.

see you "one day" I guess, I really do think if you go down the unlimited route just have a grid of Massas and Smedleys again or let it all be remote control (which let's be honest is the same thing)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think there is a very large difference between the pit micro managing which engine mode the car is in over the radio and not being able to answer why there are giant red warning lights everywhere or why the car is way down on power.

I agree that the rule will last only until it costs the leader of a race a win that he would ordinarily deserve, especially if it isn't the usual Merc up there.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

done nothing but ruin drivers' races for no reason.
I guess you didn't notice but this is the only entertainment available to be had in modern F1 races

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

simplefish posted:

see you "one day" I guess, I really do think if you go down the unlimited route just have a grid of Massas and Smedleys again or let it all be remote control (which let's be honest is the same thing)

i don't understand this. massa is a mediocre driver who had one good season. it's much more likely that was legitimately good for one year, which happens all the time in every sport, not that he was somehow only good because smedley fed him so much information. thats verging on conspiracy nonsense.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

You Am I posted:

EDIT: I think I have found the worst YouTube channel - Max Verstappen fan channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEYqvZnep2w

I think they know their audience:

quote:

Comments are disabled for this video.

This reminds of the early days of the web, when it seemed like people were racing to register domain names and be the first, biggest, most fanboyish fans of whatever you can think of.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The only thing that should have been banned was giving the driver advanced telemetry about brake points and poo poo.

As much as I hate Lewis, all the ban did was gently caress us out of some racing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

wicka posted:

i don't understand this. massa is a mediocre driver who had one good season. it's much more likely that was legitimately good for one year, which happens all the time in every sport, not that he was somehow only good because smedley fed him so much information. thats verging on conspiracy nonsense.

It's true I overstated it for effect, and maybe it was just the edit for radio calls on the broadcast, but he seemed to get a lot more guidance than other drivers. It's also an ongoing thread joke. Nobody here is seriously suggesting that Fernando is a cyborg and it's all a big conspiracy by Ron to see how fast he can kill him.

To get back to the actual point, personally I think driving a car entails managing the whole package. We're at the stage now where a lot of drivers are very very close in ability, probably because they've all been destined to be nothing else from the year dot. It's not that I think it's too easy, from here at my keyboard, but that I think there are drivers too close in talent to really separate. Yes, the car has always been a factor, to varying degrees - but the last several years it's been far more about the car than the driver.

My opinion is that that is because once the driver is capable of reliably doing what is asked by the team, it doesn't matter so much who you have in the car. No driver pushes 100% for the whole race, and I firmly believe that many drivers are capable of doing 80% as well as, just for example, Hamilton can. Do you want the race to just be won by whoever is the most consistent?

The exception is qualifying, when drivers do push 100%. But do you want the race to be largely determined by Saturday?

Strategy is also a massive factor on race day. That's why pit stop crews are no longer just fat blokes heavy enough to lift the jack who turn up after a bacon sandwich and a pint of tea. It's why teams have massive data crunching going on at their home bases during races and why when there's a back of garage shot it's just twenty scrawny kids on laptops. It's why tech sponsors come along and pair with teams. Do you want the race to be largely determined on all of those things happening outside the car?

Finally there's the car itself. I don't think I really need to go into this, so I'll keep it brief. Upgrades matter, but there's a big strategy call to be made between working on this year's upgrades and working on next year's design. Whether it's exploding engines vs reliability, or drag vs downforce that's the flavour of the month, we can talk about engine suppliers, or Paddy Lowe cars, Gordon Murray cars, Neweymobiles. But do you want the race to be determined in the factory before the season really starts?

There's no right answer to these questions. I want to stress that. I'm not trying to tell you how you should be enjoying F1. But different iterations of the rules and technology will variously reward different aspects of design, driver, and team support, and in various balance.

My personal opinion is that there should be a driverless car formula where they can all do amazing cornering forces and the engineers can have free reign. I think designers who find a way to break the spirit but not the letter of a rule should be rewarded but I understand that allowing that unchecked (e.g. fan car) would just make a whole season boring. So a different formula for that too maybe. There should be - and are - formulas where the driver is the #1 factor. Yes, you can't remove any part of what I see as a triangle. Even with AI cars, the AI design is basically driver skill.

You can disagree with me, but I think that making things "harder" for drivers isn't a problem. You may argue that that makes it not about "pure driving" or whatever, but honestly I don't believe it has been about that for a very long time. There are lots of technical features that have been banned and while some were for safety, many have been to add a challenge to drivers. I also believe that drivers have been getting better and that there is a ceiling on just how good a driver can be at hot laps (if that's your measure of "pure driving talent").

That last part's speculation, sure, since I know someone's going to note that, but undeniably drivers are taking a different path into F1 than they used to and they have a lot more experience by the time they get there. Gaps in quali times have been getting smaller, and it's far from unusual to see drivers on the same team be within 1 place of each other.

I think that allowing strategists to instruct the driver, when the driver is already far from the #1 factor, harms not helps a race already dominated by strategists when (I believe) many drivers could be swapped between cars with no change in end result.

Bottom line: It is not wrong and it is not unusual for this sport to add challenges not directly related to driving (or to technical ability or strategy calls) in order to try to induce more variation as standards across the field rise. In my view, drivers should know how to work their steering wheel whatever that means in F1's current iteration.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

learnincurve posted:

Beautiful. Had he simply ignored the scary looking warnings and driven normally it would only have cost him 0.2 seconds per lap.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-says-engine-error-only-cost-hamilton-0-2s-per-lap-790152/

Or the engine could have blown up for all he knew, easy afterwards saying he could have ignored it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No if it's a safety issue then they can tell him. They called Charlie and asked for permission to tell him about the mode and he said no.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Massa was a good driver until he got a spring lodged in his skull

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

DOOP posted:

Massa was a good driver until he got a spring lodged in his skull

He's always been poo poo.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

El Hefe posted:

He's always been poo poo.

There was that time he won a race. Or was that Barichello?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i agree with a lot of this but i don't see what any of it has to do with lewis memorizing a menu. that is not a skill we should be prioritizing. even astronauts have manuals. the onus is still on the driver to interpret feedback from the car, explain it to the team, and implement whatever solution he is given, all without becoming distracted and slowing down or crashing.

it's one thing for teams to be banned from telling drivers, for example, how to set up their brake bias for each corner. brake bias is a simple setting to change and it's a legitimate driving skill to be able to determine the best setting and change it on the fly. drivers absolutely should be required to do that on their own. but if the car breaks, preventing them from fixing it only takes away from the racing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I remember Ferrari developed a smaller wheel nut to shave 0.2 seconds off pit stops last year but it kept loving up and costing the team 30 seconds every few pit stops, and then they figured out that it really wasn't helping save time if it kept loving up at random. That's how I feel about there being a million different settings for the engines.

I mean really was there any point in banning traction control when you can just fiddle with 18 different settings to optimize the engine anyways.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I remember Ferrari developed a smaller wheel nut to shave 0.2 seconds off pit stops last year but it kept loving up and costing the team 30 seconds every few pit stops, and then they figured out that it really wasn't helping save time if it kept loving up at random. That's how I feel about there being a million different settings for the engines.

I mean really was there any point in banning traction control when you can just fiddle with 18 different settings to optimize the engine anyways.

why would we penalize the drivers for the engine regulations that were devised by the FIA and the engine manufacturers?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think F1 should become some weird motorized chessboxing where the driver has to both be centimeter perfect at a million miles per hour all while recalling and executing byzantine computer troubleshooting procedures. I also agree that all the normal adjustables and brakes and whatnot should be set by the driver instead of coming from the pit, so there should be some happy medium somewhere that is less restrictive than what they have now.

A lovely analogy would be that for a 'football' player dribbling the ball down the 'pitch' I would expect him to be able to read the defense himself and decide where to pass instead of just doing whatever his manager is shouting at him to do. But I almost don't expect him to be required to recite an ascending list of prime numbers to the ref on the fly while doing all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My point is more that I don't think there is that much time in having 60 different settings for the engine. If I was a manufacturer I'd honestly distill it down to 5 and take what I suspect would be a 0.2-0.3 time penalty.

• Locked thread